Root your Vibrant

Search This thread

justadude

Jul 12, 2010
***This will work on the T-Mobile US branded Vibrant and generic Galaxy S models***

***IMPORTANT: YOU PERFORM THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY, I NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE.***

***UPDATE: Now you can do this without ADB installed!

The following method should be relatively care-free but there is always a risk with activities like rooting a device or flashing a new firmware.

1. Download the attached zip and rename to: update.zip
2. On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > USB settings and select Mass storage
3. Plug your device into your computer, select mount USB from your device's pull-down window
4. Copy the update.zip to the INTERNAL SD memory (~14gb on this drive, not the one w/ Avatar if you've still got the 2gb SD card in)
5. Turn your phone off.
6. Hold down volume up and volume down while powering on the phone, this should get you to a recovery menu, you may have to try this a few times.
7. In Recovery menu select 'Reinstall Packages' (use vol_down then power to select)

Phone will reboot
and you have
1. su+Superuser
2. busybox (/system/xbin/busybox)

Original credit goes to LeshaK at Samdroid, I modified the script within update.zip to work on the Vibrant.

Other credits to the fine folks in this thread that noted the vol up+down recovery menu.

I would link to the Samdroid forum but I can't...but check Samdroid > i9000 Development forum for the original post.

Last edited:

marsupial99

Jun 15, 2009
Thank you to the OP for posting this. Does it make sense to append the post with a quick guide to installing and getting ADB to work with Vibrant for those who have never done that? This would make it a truly complete guide to rooting Vibrant.

Drachen

Feb 21, 2006
NYC
Thanks for this. I'm planning on getting an AT&T Captivate when it comes out. What would I have to change in your script to have it work on the Captivate? Would it just be a matter of changing the model names in the file updater-script? That seems to be the only file with an updated file date. TIA.

basataom

Jul 11, 2010
So with this root, will the normal Galaxy S custom rom (modaco) work on the vibrant? or does the rom need adjusting?

justadude

Jul 12, 2010
How easy is it to put back to stock for warranty purposes?

Not sure exactly, though you could easily delete the super user APK, that's the only real visible sign that this is installed. Doubt they'd check much further. The Samdroid forum post may have info on reverting to stock.

If anyone wants to take this and modify, it should work on the Captivate/Fascinate/Epic with a simple modification, add the model name for each device to this part of updater-script in the zip file:

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I5800" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I5800" ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9000" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9000" ||
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-T959" ||
       getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-T959"
       );

Does it make sense to append the post with a quick guide to installing and getting ADB to work with Vibrant for those who have never done that?

I'll leave that to someone else, I personally feel that if folks are in this 'development' section then they should be capable of installing and getting ADB running before they do something that could possibly harm their phone if they screw it up.

So with this root, will the normal Galaxy S custom rom (modaco) work on the vibrant? or does the rom need adjusting?

Honestly, no idea on this. I'm not willing to risk my Vibrant to this, I'll let someone else be a guinea pig. But I am interested to hear if the wireless hotspot feature can be added back, this is the only item I miss from the Vibrant.

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
I'm glad it's that easy, now what about wireless tether? It's something that I and others root for almost exclusively.

justadude

Jul 12, 2010
Lag is still there, it's the reason I went for root in the first place, had to perform Paul's lag fix w/ the shipped software. With the lag fix and Launcher Pro this device is quite a joy.

Ship ROM is T959UVJFD.

disturkis4u

Aug 27, 2009
once i installed the galaxy s drivers, it was REALLY painless and easy. i did it just for the wireless tethering.. and whatever other goodies I can find for this so far... really excited! :D

lp1527

Oct 26, 2009
Lag is still there, it's the reason I went for root in the first place, had to perform Paul's lag fix w/ the shipped software. With the lag fix and Launcher Pro this device is quite a joy.

Ship ROM is T959UVJFD.

Can you elaborate? Do you still have the original shipped OS (Touchwiz and all pre-loaded apps, etc.)? Also, any kind of step-by-step you could provide?

Much appreciated and THANK you!

marsupial99

Jun 15, 2009
once i installed the galaxy s drivers, it was REALLY painless and easy. i did it just for the wireless tethering.. and whatever other goodies I can find for this so far... really excited! :D

The wireless tethering is my main reason for rooting so I am very interested which tethering application you are using and which version. Also, where did you get the proper drivers for adb connection? The directions in the first post assume that everybody knows how to use adb which sadly is not the case with me. Any additional information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

disturkis4u

Aug 27, 2009
The wireless tethering is my main reason for rooting so I am very interested which tethering application you are using and which version. Also, where did you get the proper drivers for adb connection? The directions in the first post assume that everybody knows how to use adb which sadly is not the case with me. Any additional information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I searched for "galaxy s usb driver" in xda and the first link was USB Driver for Galaxy S and Misc Info - xda-developers. There's a rapidshare and multiupload link for download also in that thread. (3rd post or something).

once you extract the usb drivers folders, go to the extracted folder, double click on "setup" and it will install the drivers for you. when you enable usb debugging on your vibrant and plug it in, windows should successfully install the usb drivers. then, go to command, and follow the instructions in the first post

edit: i'm using the app called Wireless Tether version 2.0.1 website is http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***This will work on the T-Mobile US branded Vibrant and generic Galaxy S models***

***IMPORTANT: YOU PERFORM THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY, I NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE.***

***UPDATE: Now you can do this without ADB installed!

The following method should be relatively care-free but there is always a risk with activities like rooting a device or flashing a new firmware.

1. Download the attached zip and rename to: update.zip
    2. On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > USB settings and select Mass storage
    3. Plug your device into your computer, select mount USB from your device's pull-down window
    4. Copy the update.zip to the INTERNAL SD memory (~14gb on this drive, not the one w/ Avatar if you've still got the 2gb SD card in)
    5. Turn your phone off.
    6. Hold down volume up and volume down while powering on the phone, this should get you to a recovery menu, you may have to try this a few times.
    7. In Recovery menu select 'Reinstall Packages' (use vol_down then power to select)

Phone will reboot
    and you have
    1. su+Superuser
    2. busybox (/system/xbin/busybox)

Original credit goes to LeshaK at Samdroid, I modified the script within update.zip to work on the Vibrant.

Other credits to the fine folks in this thread that noted the vol up+down recovery menu.

I would link to the Samdroid forum but I can't...but check Samdroid > i9000 Development forum for the original post.
    I installed the Kies Mini update, and I am no longer rooted or ClockWork Recovery. I tried to install the update but I got the following error:

E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

Its running Android Recover System 3e.

How do we get passed the signature issue?

EDITTTT:::::
    SuperOneClick v1.5.5 just worked great!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682

I also made a tutorial for root and recovery:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=925400
    I tried to flash this in CWM and it didn't work?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

When I flashed back to stock, ROM Manager would not show up in the market?

You can use aptoid just google it and install it like that. And this root worked when you rename it dont put the .zip it is already a zip file.