[APP][4.1+][V5.4] Open Mic+ for Google Now

Search This thread

z0mbi3

Jun 6, 2004
Are Tasker Commands working with the latest version of Google Search/Now? I can't get any of my Tasker commands to run at all...

Mysticodex

Jan 14, 2013
Just got Open Mic+ Donate last night, and for whatever reason I cannot get it only listening while screen off and charging. I have those settings on, but no matter what I do it will not activate. Does it matter if I am charging via wired or wireless?

I am using Nova Launcher, latest version with "Ok Google" from homescreen (shouldn't be an issue, I only want to use OpenMic when the screen is off, and phone charging).
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Looks like it only works the first time, then goes into a paused state? It has re-locked the screen like I asked, but when I go to check on it, it's paused. Why does it put itself into a paused state like this?

Last edited:

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Just took my second to last final today... Just have to take SAT Literature on Saturday and History final, then I'm free! Expect some great updates, I have a bunch of great ideas written down :) See below for some of the ideas I have lined up...

1. UI redesign + setup wizard (way too complicated right now!)
2. Improved support interface so I can provide faster updates that more users want. This will include targeted surveys (ex. you will only receive optional surveys if you match the settings profile x and y, but not z enabled) and two way conversations in-app (yay no email clutter!)
3. Auto start Open Mic+ while driving
4. Lots of crash and bug fixes!
5. Download other languages for PocketSphinx (still not confirmed as possible, but I think I could provide language packs)
6. Optimizations for Moto G and Nexus 5 (these are my two largest devices and I just got a Moto G for testing purposes)
7. A secondary service that will run and restart the listening service in case Android kills it... (this would be an option of course)
8. The ability to launch Tasker commands w/ pocketsphinx - this can't work exactly like how it does with the Google engine, but I have found a cool workaround... Can't wait to share :D
9. Some top secret work ;) - but actually this is awesome, I'll share as soon as I can

Also need to answer the 1000 emails in my inbox! Will definitely get to this as soon as I can. The new support system will help in this process, so I'll be asking users with incomplete tickets to move to the new system...

As soon as I get new support system up and running, I'll answer all the other requests in this thread... It is just a whole lot easier to manage individual requests and have their logs auto attached than to have to remember each user's problems and answer in a forum based system... Thanks for your understanding, it should be up very soon!

Reactions: DoctorBRR

DroneDoom

Nov 8, 2013
One thing I notice with this app, it has a similar bug like omnirom's launcher (launcher3). They both mute media volume. Since I couldn't force close the app I had to uninstall it to listen to music.

Mysticodex

Jan 14, 2013
I've been forced to uninstall OpenMic for now on my phone. Just can't get it working right with current release of Nova Launcher, on 4.4.3 KitKat.

It still triggers and then mutes itself right away, as well as sometimes starts listening on it's own even when not charging (which I have it set to), causing crazy battery drain (as per normal in this situation).

Smtih

Dec 10, 2010
Melbourne
I can't seem to get the app to recognise "Okay Google" at all when I'm using pocketsphinx. If I change it to google, it works perfectly. Any ideas what might cause this?

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Open Mic+ 5.0 Beta Release!
This beta is only available for donate users as their support has made this update possible :) The full release will be Monday...

To download the beta, you must join the issues community (linked below) and follow the link embedded in the post!

https://plus.google.com/b/112424215551484520138/communities/100667043521142013060

Here is the changelog:
Open Mic+ 5.0
- Completely redesigned UI to both simplify and guide the user experience (inspired by the Google Now design)
- Tablet-Optimized UI
- Multiple optimizations for PocketSphinx and Google engine
- Device-specific optimizations for Nexus 5 and Moto G
- Change sensitivity of Wave and Shake Detection
- Simplify Listen while screen off settings (even I got confused before!)
- Automatically blacklist apps that use the mic (this fixes issues with the camera, Shaazam, and other similar apps)
- Fix Tasker Command problems (this update will wipe your current commands)
- Visual feedback to show what Open Mic+ is doing
- Redesigned Support interface which will auto-send logs and device information (with consent) and will allow two-way conversations without an email address (Huge thanks to Sky Kelsey and the Apptentive Team!)
- Targeted Surveys which will allow me to push updates more effectively
- Many donate-only features are now free
- Free users who are unable to pay for the donate version can now get all of the donate features by sharing to two out of three of Google+, Facebook, and Twitter
- Multiple crash and bug fixes
- (Will be available after Beta) Professional Translations for Portuguese and Spanish

Not included in this update, but also figured out how to allow Tasker Commands for PocketSphinx! This will be included in a future update :)

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Open Mic+ 5.0 Released!

Here is the changelog :)
- Completely redesigned UI to both simplify and guide the user experience (inspired by the Google Now design)
- Tablet-Optimized UI
- Automatically blacklist apps that use the mic (this fixes issues with the camera, Shaazam, and other similar apps)
- Redesigned Support interface which will auto-send logs and device information (with consent) and will allow two-way conversations without an email address (Huge thanks to Sky Kelsey and the Apptentive Team!)
- Free users who are unable to pay for the donate version can now get all of the donate features by sharing to two out of three of Google+, Facebook, and Twitter
- Professional Translations for Portuguese (Brazil) and Spanish

Not included in this update, but also figured out how to allow Tasker Commands for PocketSphinx! This will be included in a future update :)

Update pushed now, make take awhile (usually 2 hours) for Google's servers to update
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix

Reactions: DoctorBRR

GTMoraes

Dec 3, 2010
Recife
PT-BR translation is so-so.
"Detecção de Ondas" is totally wrong lol. "Ondas", in this "wave" translation, is meaning the same as "sound WAVES" or "sea WAVES", not as hand wave. The correct translation would be "Detecção de aceno"
"Root" is translated freely as "raiz", like in Trees root. "Root" means "root" here, just like "jailbreak". There is no translation for this.

I'd help in the translation, but unfortunately I have no time. It would be a great addition, however, to be able to choose English, instead of a translation.
--------------

Also, I have some problems:
The phone is a LG G2,

I've set it to only listen with the device off IF it's connected to a charger. It ignores that, and is always listening, with screen off or on. I'm afraid it'll drain my battery away.
I'll leave this option enabled and see what happens. The LG G2 got a pretty large battery anyway!

And when I wake it up with okay google, it should skip the lockscreen, but sometimes it launches the Google Now, and then my lockscreen gets ahead. The whole Google Now works flawlessly on the background, but I have to unlock the device to get rid of the lockscreen. I guess this cannot be circumvented?

--actually, after some testing, it seems that the OpenMic+ unlocks the device, but then immediately locks it again, even with Google Now running on the background, for some reason.
Sometimes it works right, It unlocks, presents the Google Now waiting for my input, then after I'm done, it locks the device again.

----------------------------
I noticed that sometimes it doesn't pauses for applications that needs microphone, such as Waze ASR, the very own Google Now, or even the Camera! A workaround for this is to pause and resume manualy. Unfortunately I didn't try to call to see what would happen.
------------
major dealbreaker: when it bugs and doesn't pause for applications, the alarm clock cannot ring. It automatically goes to sneeze.
I came in two hours late to work =(

Last edited:

DoctorBRR

May 21, 2014
docbr.me
PT-BR translation is so-so...

...It would be a great addition, however, to be able to choose English, instead of a translation...

Agree! :good:

An option to keep the English language would be much better that the translation for Brazilian Portuguese, it was very amateur.

The current version of the app is consuming more battery power than version 4.5, but is more accurate. Could this be the price to pay for accuracy?

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
A Response to Google Now Update 3.5.14

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/06/2...ed:+DroidLife+(Droid+Life)#comment-1454447021
By this time, many of you likely will have heard of the new Google Search update which vastly improves on the core feature set of Open Mic+. It is a slow roll-out, so I haven't had a chance to test first-hand, but from the video and comments, it seems that Google was able to fill the hole in Android that Open Mic+ was patching. For me, it is exciting that Google is constantly evolving Android and when I set out to create Open Mic+, I knew this day would come. That being said, it is still sad thinking about all the time spent on this project...

Anyways concerning the future of this app, this update in noway removes all use cases for Open Mic+, these use cases are listed below:
- Full screen off listening
- Wave and Shake Detection
- Tasker Commands
- If you have a device that is before (4.3) or maybe 4.4, somebody screwed up and put 4.3 (kitkat), so I'm not sure which one is correct
- Moto G or Moto X users
(https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/6031948?hl=en&ref_topic=6048425)
- Users using different languages than English
- Users who don't want Google to possess all their voice data

That being said, I prefer to develop for the future rather than the past so I'll be transferring time spent towards this project towards others. I'll still be doing updates every once in awhile, but support times will be lengthened.

I learned so much from this project and I wanted to thank each and every one of my users for their feedback, patience, and support. Look forward to more great apps!

Verismo

Mar 18, 2013
just discovered this app, i was just wondering how much of an impact does it have on battery usage?

I have a moto G so unfortunately i won't be able to use the update

ZeRoWaR

Jan 16, 2011
Jena
Hay there, i realy like your app, so a big thx to you!
However the german translation isn't that great, so if you need someone to translate it properly, then count me in.

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Just released my latest app: Commandr for Google Now! Check it out, let me know how you like it :)

commandrfeature.jpg

Add commands to Google Now, no root required!

Google Now Just Got Better
Now you can use Google Now to control your flashlight, toggle settings, control music playback, and much more!

Google Now Just Got Personal
Add your own custom commands through Tasker to make sure your device fits your lifestyle.

Listening to You
Vote on new commands or suggest new ones so that we are working on adding the commands you want.

Improving Quickly
Don't wait for Google! Updates will be quick and support request responses quicker.

Unify Your Smartphone
Access all the features of your device through Google Now so you don't have to remember what app does what.

Setup and Forget
Once you setup Commandr, it will always be accessible from Google Now and will only run when needed. It won't slow down your phone or your boot.

Command List (so far):
- Turn On/Off Wifi
- Turn On/Off Bluetooth
- Turn On/Off GPS (for some phones)
- Pause Music
- Resume Music
- Next Song
- Previous Song
- note <what to note> (adds to note-taking app)
- Any Tasker command you can dream of!

Coming Soon (vote for priority in-app):
- Wolfram Alpha Integration
- Read Aloud Unread Gmail
- Turn On/Off Wifi Hotspot
- Launch Navigation with Waze
- Turn On/Off NFC

Website
Play Store
Media Kit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Open Mic+
    Google Now, Everywhere.

As featured on XDA, LifeHacker, SlashGear, Android Community, Android Spin, dotTech, AndroidInt'l, and more!

With Open Mic+ for Google Now, access all the commands from anywhere on your phone. Simply say "Okay Google" or wave your hand in front of the screen. Screen on, screen off Google Now will be ready to listen.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    Google Now becomes more conversational as after a search just say Okay Google to start a new one. And even better get the answers to your questions while your hands are tied, or when you're on the couch, or in the car.

TOMORROW'S FEATURES TODAY
    Everybody's talking about the new Touchless Controls features for the Moto X, but now any phone that is running Jelly Bean or higher can have the same experience.

SEAMLESS
    Open Mic+ will run in the background and can be configured to start at boot so that it truly becomes part of the phone.

TASKER INTEGRATION
    Truly automate your device by combining the endless command list of Tasker with the ease of access of Open Mic!

Open Mic+ uses offline voice recognition which means less data usage and faster results.

What I'm working on:
    See the g+ page for more details! Also please contact me if you are willing to contribute. Experience in sound engineering is especially welcome!

Please see the g+ page for more details and for videos (Also follow to be notified of updates!): http://plus.google.com/112424215551484520138/posts
    Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix

[QRCODE]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix[/QRCODE]

Remember this is a work in progress, if it isn't working for you now, make sure to follow the g+ page so you'll know when I make it better :)

Changelog:
    5.4:
    - Google has asked me to remove the Google Speech Engine due to high server traffic. From here on out, the only supported speech engine will be PocketSphinx... Kind of sucks, but you know you're legitimate when you are producing enough traffic for Google to care about you :)
    - Because of this change Tasker commands are not supported... yet (I know a way just need more time). For now use my other app Commandr http://goo.gl/ymwQ46
    - Fixes for conflicts in Lollipop
    - Pocketsphinx optimization
    5.3:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.2:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.1:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.0:
    - Tablet-Optimized UI
    - Professional Translations for Portuguese (Brazil) and Spanish

4.5:
    ★ Lots of Force close and bug fixes (sorry these are very complicated issues, still working on them...)
    ★ Additional logging to help understand other issues
    ★ Tweaking of PocketSphinx engine settings for better recognition
    ★ Resolving issues with UserVoice SDK (if you are having trouble sending a log, remember that your log is copied so you can always paste it into the email link below)
    4.4:
    ★ Lots of Force close and bug fixes (sorry this took so long, but they were pretty tricky to figure out)
    ★ (Donate) Pocketsphinx - Option to pause listening during music playback
    ★ Issues with sending support requests should be resolved
    ★ Check if both versions are installed to prevent accidentally using the free version when the donate version is installed
    4.3:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (Thanks for all the logs! If you are still having this issue please email me. Sorry it has taken so long to fix these, but it is actually a very complicated issue which has many sources)
    ★ Shake sensitivity fixed
    ★ Bug fixes & performance improvements
    4.2:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (if you are still having this issue please email me)
    ★ Crash reporting added to help fix future crashes. This requires the Internet permission, which is why I added it. Please know that based on my privacy policy (http://OpenMic.RSenApps.com/privacypolicy.html) I cannot and never will upload any data without the user's consent
    ★ Native contact us, knowledge base, and future ideas, just click the Support button. This makes it easier to report issues...

4.1:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (if you are still having this issue please email me)
    ★ Huge Apk/install size fixed
    ★ Various bug fixes...

Version 4.0 ICS (I Crave [Pocket]Sphinx):
    ★ PocketSphinx Speech Engine Integrated. PocketSphinx is a much faster, more reliable, and more battery efficient speech recognition engine and can now be used with Open Mic+ (Tasker commands are not supported yet...)

What this means:
    - Faster, more reliable recognition
    - Significantly reduced battery and memory usage
    - Volume muting bugs resolved
    - Recognition during music playback
    - (Donate) Customize sensitivity

★ (Donate) Read out SMS messages when Open Mic+ is running (useful while driving)
    ★ Shake phone to activate
    ★ Loads of bug fixes and performance improvements
    ★ New Language: Finnish (Thanks to: Jaakko Salminen)

WHAT'S DIFFERENT IN THE DONATE VERSION
    Hi, my name is Ryan Senanayake and I'm a Junior still in high school. As the amount of time I have spent on this project grows to more than 1000 hours, I need to better justify the time I spend on development. The Free version will in no way be hobbled and will continue to receive bug fixes + performance/battery improvements, but from now on, new features will be added to the Donate version. It will only cost $2 and if you are not able to spend this, just shoot me an email and I'll send you one for free.
    does this consume battery life?

No it enables solar charging via front camera.
    Here is latest APK I pulled from the site a few hours ago
    First working prototype of PocketSphinx integration completed! I'm not going to lie, once this is fully working it is going to be awesome. Recognition time is now so fast that it seems instantaneous. Even from a screen off mode, Google Now is open in less than a second. Also battery consumption is far less due to now fully (instead of offline-capable) recognition and recognition accuracy also seems to be far improved as well! RAM usage is down an easy 50% though I haven't been able to run comprehensive tests! Finally on a side note, recognition now works during music playback and all problems due to muting volumes are now solved as these hacks are no longer necessary!

If anybody wants the update now, shoot me an email (tickets@rsenapps.uservoice.com), I'm not really at a point where I need testers, but if you are dying to try it, let me know :)

Also I have a question of how to precede with foreign language interpretation. Right now I'm building PocketSphinx with an English dictionary and all custom hotphrases need to be English words. Is this a problem? Can I completely ditch Google Speech Recognition and all of its problems or should I keep including it?
    Version 4.0 ICS (I Crave [Pocket]Sphinx): #OpenMic+
    ★ PocketSphinx Speech Engine Integrated. PocketSphinx is a much faster, more reliable, and more battery efficient speech recognition engine and can now be used with Open Mic+ (Tasker commands are not supported yet...)

What this means:
    - Faster, more reliable recognition
    - Significantly reduced battery and memory usage
    - Volume muting bugs resolved
    - Recognition during music playback
    - (Donate) Customize sensitivity

★ (Donate) Read out SMS messages when Open Mic+ is running (useful while driving)
    ★ Shake phone to activate
    ★ Loads of bug fixes and performance improvements
    ★ New Language: Finnish (Thanks to: Jaakko Salminen)

Update pushed now, make take awhile (usually 2 hours) for Google's servers to update
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix