Best case for Galaxy S II?

Search This thread

kinfauns

Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead
Jan 5, 2012
Diztronic TPU Cases

Based on some suggestions here, I got a couple of the Diztronic cases... the matte smoke and the matte black. Just to clarify, the matte finish is only on the back and it's a shiny finish on the front. It's a great case for anybody that wants some basic protection without much bulk. Another member attached some snapshots of the matte black case....

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22470078&postcount=92

Due to some conflict with Amazon, they no longer offer free shipping on their site, but I found a coupon code on another forum for free shipping... "freeship". Hopefully, that will still shave a couple bucks off for anybody looking to purchase these.

cookie1203

Jan 8, 2011
Amarillo
when i got my phone i had to order something and just got a plain tpu case, then after some research i got the ballistic case. i loved it except for the fact that it had big pieces of silicone and was a pain to pull out of the pocket. when i got my white sgs2 i ordered the off brand white "ballistic" case. same thing, just too big but i didnt know what else to get as i was more concerned about the phone breaking. i did a little more research and found the body glove case, i got it in the other day and i love it. it is by far the best one i have and super easy to pull out of the pocket. i gives my phone pretty good coverage and no issues pressing the buttons. i also ordered the white tpu case just for a backup and they both work great. i have screen protectors on it and no issues with bubbling or removing the protector.
just my 2 cents.

mikron24

Mar 21, 2011
BoxWave Resolute OA3 T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II (Samsung SGH-t989) Case

BoxWave Resolute OA3 T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II (Samsung SGH-t989) Case (Tenacious Blue)

has anyone tried this case from the company called Box Wave

the company says this case is best used with its own Clear Touch
screen protectors

further it says "Unlike other brands of screen protectors, you can also re-use the ClearTouch screen protector by simply washing the unit with warm water and hand soap to renew the adhesive quality.

i have never used this kind of re washed screen protector whats it like ,any ideas?

RogueCoyote

Jan 30, 2012
I'm using the D3O Flex Prot. Cover and love it. Doesn't add much bulk while still having great protection.

8Fishes

Feb 14, 2012
I thought the d3o gets better with usage?

Something about needing to break the case in for a month or so before the buttons get easier to push. Anyone use it for that long without the cut mod?

escrowdog

Dec 10, 2011
I've had the Body Glove case (without the kickstand) since i got my phone last year. I have dropped it probably 8 times. Each time the case pops open and the phone falls out. I think this was actually a good thing as the case took the impact, however the couple of times it happened in a parking lot the phone got a couple of small scratches. Recently the case has started to deteriorate a little around the edges where the case clicks together. Now it won't stay clicked in on one corner. I just ordered a Diztronic case to replace.

Anyway, I think the Body Glove saved my phone from some serious damage, but in the end the case popping open too much has worn out the clips.

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
I thought the d3o gets better with usage?

Something about needing to break the case in for a month or so before the buttons get easier to push. Anyone use it for that long without the cut mod?

Ive had mine since mid dec and havent bothered to cut along side the power button.

The button is still a lot tougher to press but this prevents accidental activation AND protects the power button from impacts. cutting it would make the case less efdective.

My phone doeant have a chance of popping out of the case when dropped.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

k holley

Sep 8, 2011
pensacola
best case

i got this trident aiges case lime green color and came with screen protector it is great protection for your $600.00 phone

thisisit123

Feb 3, 2012
i have the trident aegis too
only thing i dont like about it...is the bottom (theres no hard plastic around it so it feels a bit loose)

escrowdog

Dec 10, 2011
I've had the Body Glove case (without the kickstand) since i got my phone last year. I have dropped it probably 8 times. Each time the case pops open and the phone falls out. I think this was actually a good thing as the case took the impact, however the couple of times it happened in a parking lot the phone got a couple of small scratches. Recently the case has started to deteriorate a little around the edges where the case clicks together. Now it won't stay clicked in on one corner. I just ordered a Diztronic case to replace.

Anyway, I think the Body Glove saved my phone from some serious damage, but in the end the case popping open too much has worn out the clips.

Just got my Diztronic case from Amazon yesterday...free 2 day shipping with Prime! So far so good, LOVE the case. Probably half the weight and a 1/3 thinner than the Body Glove. For only $9 I wish I found these from the get go. I would agree this probably won't offer any extreme fall protection, but it fits perfect and has just enough grip to not slide around and still not drag lint out of your pocket.

ragnarok12

Jan 16, 2012
I highly recommend the D30 flex case. You need to make a few cuts into the buttons to make it easier to press your vol rocker and power button, but once you break those in it's a great case. It's strong, lightweight, and very form fitting.

JawjaBill

Aug 15, 2010
Atlanta
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
My response is based on the 3 cases that have had the absolute pleasure of encasing my S2:

Boxwave Dual+ Holster
Matte finished barely there type case with a "kickstanded" holster. Liked it alot for $12, at first. I couldn't deal with how easy it was for the phone to slip out of the holster specifically when worn horizontally on the belt. While hustling to make it into work once, the phone slipped out of the holster and hit the concrete which caused the phone to pop out the case. Double Whammy! New back ordered, chrome bezel and screen spared.

Trident Aegis
Awesome protection in a big heavy brick. I didn't like how the bottom of the back in the speaker area seemed to stretch out making a little cubby hole for debris. The hard outer shell should have been designed to encompass the bottom of the phone.

Seido Active Combo
My favorite. Similar design & protection of the Aegis without the weight and bulk plus a holster and built in kickstand. I agree that the black one looks like a grenade; the Aegis feels like one. This one is a keeper.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Best case is clearly the seidio active
    I'm still in shock at how many people don't have this case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seidio-ACTI...318387?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc15fcb33

Maybe not everyone wants their phone to resemble a hand grenade?

Sent from my Hercules using XDA App
    I have 6 cases for this phone (I don't know what I was thinking). It's nice to have the option to switch between the cases, especially because I own the white T989 but for me there's one I consistently go back to. I'll list pros/cons of the ones I have, in case it helps anyone. All cases have the ports open and mic holes exposed so I won't list that anywhere.

Fishbone (White plastic backing)
    Price: $

Pros: Lightweight, thin, stylish, easy to put on and take off and easy to push the volume rocker and power buttons. All ports easily accessible and no mic holes are covered. Will protect against light drops and cosmetic phone injuries, like scratches.

Cons: The contrasting textures of the glossy plastic and the soft silicone bothered me. The silicone attracts a lot of lint and the two piece design is flawed in that it doesn't wrap around in the middle, leaving the silicone cover feeling very loose. It never really felt secure and this makes it lose a lot of points.

Diztronic TPU, 2nd Revision (Clear Matte)
    Price: $

Pros: Lightweight, very thin, exposes the volume/power buttons (which is the best solution, in my opinion) and hugs the phone nicely while being easy to put on and take off. Feels wonderful in your hands and won't slide around. In my opinion, the best combination of thinness and protection. The opacity of the case allows the white to be shown.

Cons: It probably wouldn't protect against a major fall, though when I dropped mine onto a set of subway stairs, the phone survived with no damage whatsoever.

Trident Aegis (Blue Silicone)
    Price: $$$

Pros:Best protection for the phone of all the cases I own, hands down. Dropped with no worries of damage whatsoever. The buttons are easy to press and the blue silicone stands out quite nicely. The higher quality silicone doesn't attract as much lint and the polycarbonate backing's texture makes it very easy to hold, with a nice feel. The ports have a covering to protect against lint, dirt and debris from entering.

Cons:The case is protective but very thick. If you care about preserving the thinness of the phone, this isn't for you. I felt like I was holding a Game Boy at times. The case also completely covered the phone, so I missed out on the white. It is also quite difficult to take off and put on, as the polycarbonate backing is stiff and takes time to finally go over the silicone. Definitely going to annoy the hell out of you if you happen to do a lot of battery pulls.

Seidio Active w/ Kickstand (Amethyst)
    Price:$$$

Pros: Great combination of protection and thinness; your phone will feel tight and secure in your hand. The color is neat. Similar in design to the Fishbone case in how it works (silicone and polycarbonate backing) but much improved, especially when it comes to keeping the silicone wrapped around the entire bezel of the phone. Buttons are covered but easy to press. Includes a kickstand if you like that sort of thing, but I found myself using it very rarely.

Cons: Many people complain about the design resembling a grenade, but that's an aesthetic preference that varies with color. Silicone isn't as high in quality as the Aegis, so lint is a problem. The kickstand hinge feels like it's going to snap off EVERY time I click it open or closed, which is probably what makes me paranoid about using it.

D30 Flex case (Blue)
    Price: $$

Pros: The D30 is protective and I felt like my phone was safe within the case. The blue case with the white phone looked nice together and the thinness was pretty good.

Cons: For the love of Jesus, the buttons are SO DAMN DIFFICULT to press! I'm aware that there are modifications one can perform to facilitate that, but I prefer to use a case as it was intended. You really have to push, especially for that power button. It was a HUGE turn off for me. The case can also, depending how it fits, lift up your screen protectors edges which can really screw it up and trap dirt or lint beneath it. The case was also not as snug as I would have liked and I was a bit worried that the phone could come out if the drop was bad enough.

Wireless Central Brand Hybrid Plastic/TPU case (Clear/Black)
    Price: $$$

Pros: Meant to mimic a band case. Easy to remove and put on. The plastic backing is completely clear and displays the white battery cover, which compliments the black TPU. Aesthetically pleasing and not too thick.

Cons: The plastic on the back, where your phone is likely to rest when you put it down, is slippery and can slide around. There will also always be a bit of a space between the plastic and the back of your phone. Might help with shock absorption but it annoyed me because it allowed particles to get stuck there, which then become very visible.

In my opinion, the best case (and the one I always tend to go back to) is the Diztronic TPU, followed by the Seidio Active. I switch between them most frequently. The Diztronic almost feels like you don't have a case on and pretty much enhances the phone's natural state while offering adequate protection. For the price, it's the best. In last would definitely be the D30. Hopefully the cases for future phones from them aren't so stiff and fit better. Then again, this is all subjective and your mileage may vary.
    NO GOOD

Just wanted to update about the aluminum/metal looking cases. They SUCK. The picture is pretty deceiving. They do NOT cover the top and bottom edges, and when I got them, the silver one was bent down at the bottom.

Recommendation rescinded.
    can someone tell me which case is better among the d3O cases i see that there is a D3O flex prot. case and the D3O dual impact. from the posts here it looks like more people are going with the flex case

Dual impact would probably offer more protection. It's a hard plastic layer on the outside and rubber inner layer and lip. Though the dual impact case is much harder to remove.
    Best case is clearly the seidio active
    I'm still in shock at how many people don't have this case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seidio-ACTI...318387?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc15fcb33