MX Player and ChromeCast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
One major problem I forsee happening is that no device out there is powerful enough to transcode and subsequently cast 10bit 1080p video. Though that hardware spec limitation will probably disappear within 1 or 2 generations of phone microprocessors (I hope!).

JerryBels

Feb 3, 2014
One major problem I forsee happening is that no device out there is powerful enough to transcode and subsequently cast 10bit 1080p video. Though that hardware spec limitation will probably disappear within 1 or 2 generations of phone microprocessors (I hope!).

Yeah, ok, right, nice and all, but... Can we hope for a release BEFORE 1 or 2 generations ? :cowboy:

schale01

Dec 20, 2010

While this is true you forget that newer formats will also come within 1 or 2 generations. There is already talk of adopting H265 encoding for video, and we also have resolutions such as 4k becoming more commonplace. It's a constant have if catch up if you want to watch the best available.

Reactions: joonas72

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
New formats will definitely be out of the question, but the thing is even current format transcode (H264 Hi10p) might not be possible. I'm not sure how efficient the developer can make 8-bit transcode, and/or whether he can get GPU assistance for that.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
But how does netflix does it?
First of all, Netflix doesn't use 10-bit video; they use 8-bit video. Second of all, the video container is probably in a supported format, such as .mp4. Third, since it's a supported format, it can be directly "cast" to the Chromecast dongle, meaning there is no need for transcode and the dongle itself can decode it, since it's a supported format.

J.S.C

Aug 11, 2012
I have been holding back from getting a chromecast for ages, figured that by this point lots of apps would be supported and even entire mirroring would be a viable option. Such a shame that this isn't the case. I am really looking forward to seeing progression and if beta testers are required at all I will be first in line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
I have been holding back from getting a chromecast for ages, figured that by this point lots of apps would be supported and even entire mirroring would be a viable option. Such a shame that this isn't the case. I am really looking forward to seeing progression and if beta testers are required at all I will be first in line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Unfortunately, Chromecast doesn't support Miracast (yet?), so that's out of the question for now. However, there are comparable devices that do support Miracast, and can be bought for very reasonable prices via eBay and such.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
Mirroring is not done by an app; it's done by the OS. Chromecast at the moment does not support Miracast (mirroring).

Casting video to Chromecast is done by an app. There are several apps out there that already cast to Chromecast (BubbleUPnP, AllCast, etc), but since there is no transcoding, it means that only video formats supported by the Chromecast dongle can be played.

The MX Player developer is trying to make all videos playable via Chromecast, by transcoding the video first before casting. This requires a powerful enough device to be able to do it. It's definitely possible.

Reactions: krishna442

JerryBels

Feb 3, 2014
His efforts shall be praised :)

What about streaming videos ? Lets say, if I open with MX a m3u8 streaming from a webpage. Will it be able to cast it ?

FYI, I currently play all my PC videos on the Chromecast using Plex, and I play this type of webstream via Web Video Caster. It works... Quite well, but I would love to use MX player in place of it.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
In that specific case, Web Video Caster finds the media stream from the m3u8 playlist, and casts the video to Chromecast. That video would still have to be in a Chromecast supported format to work.

In the case on Plex, Plex works because the Plex server software does the transcoding to a Chromecast supported format, before the Plex app casts it to Chromecast. Since no transcoding is done on the phone, it doesn't require as much power.

pwvandeursen

Aug 16, 2007
Will the new mirror feature solve the problem for mx? Will we still need to stream of can we now just mirror the screen to the TV with chrome cast?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
If and when Chromecast decides to support mirroring via Miracast, that would be one option. However, mirroring uses more resources than casting, so less powerful devices might not be able to handle mirroring.

mcpdigital

Aug 13, 2012
Hi, I was browsing the thread to find out if there were any news about MX.

ChromeCast (CC) is an independent player remote controlled by your device and app. It plays only the defined formats and nothing else. The cast app must pass the "link" to CC with the video to be played. After that is CC job to play, if it doesnt it just say not compatible.
As I understand MX is prized to its ability to play every stream perfectly as it does. So is a questionable mix, CC is limited and stuck while MX is advanced and dynamic.

Here at home we use 4 x CC. We use Plex for Android (dlna) and Netflix. Both apps cover our needs of local and remote media playing.
The Plex needs a server running in one or more WinPCs, and it is light and well implemented.
Plex does what you are asking for but needs the server. It is pretty smart, it converts only the streams that CC or other client cannot play.
In that case your PC CPU will be heavily used. It is possible to force Plex to not convert incompatible streams, so if the movie plays is because is compatible with CC. You can opt to convert, always on the fly, subtitles and audio streams, independently. This is using DLNA implementation, not shared drives or else.
In short CC plays H.264 (profile 4.1) + AAC 2.0 without conversion.
It is really strange to think about using MX Player and use your phone as a DLNA server for the CC and yet transcode some or most of the streams, it makes no sense, it will drain the battery in a couple of hours.

Just trying to help.

MCP

Last edited:

pwvandeursen

Aug 16, 2007
Hi, I was browsing the thread to find out if there were any news about MX.

ChromeCast (CC) is an independent player remote controlled by your device and app. It plays only the defined formats and nothing else. The cast app must pass the "link" to CC with the video to be played. After that is CC job to play, if it doesnt it just say not compatible.
As I understand MX is prized to its ability to play every stream perfectly as it does. So is a questionable mix, CC is limited and stuck while MX is advanced and dynamic.

Here at home we use 4 x CC. We use Plex for Android (dlna) and Netflix. Both apps cover our needs of local and remote media playing.
The Plex needs a server running in one or more WinPCs, and it is light and well implemented.
Plex does what you are asking for but needs the server. It is pretty smart, it converts only the streams that CC or other client cannot play.
In that case your PC CPU will be heavily used. It is possible to force Plex to not convert incompatible streams, so if the movie plays is because is compatible with CC. You can opt to convert, always on the fly, subtitles and audio streams, independently. This is using DLNA implementation, not shared drives or else.
In short CC plays H.264 (profile 4.1) + AAC 2.0 without conversion.
It is really strange to think about using MX Player and use your phone as a DLNA server for the CC and yet transcode some or most of the streams, it makes no sense, it will drain the battery in a couple of hours.

Just trying to help.

MCP

The point is I can now use my phone to send anything to the CC. Yes that drains the battery, but the choice is either turn on a PC that consumes a lot or, put your phone on a charger while streaming to the CC. I'd rather not have the PC in the home anymore and just use the CC, Synology and MX with whatever android I have available to cast anything to the CC.

all choices have downsides and risks, the question is what is your most acceptable version. can be different from all others.

Still hoping MX gets this implemented.

JerryBels

Feb 3, 2014
And for me, I use a lot MX to view content streamed from a webpage (TV stream, actually). Yes, I could use default Chrome player or something else. I just love how MX feels, looks and behave. So if I can watch my TV on my Android with MX, and when I'm coming home just hit the cast button and it displays on TV, it would be absolutely perfect. For now, I use another Android dongle linked to the HDMI port of the TV, that I browse using a remote keyboard...

mcpdigital

Aug 13, 2012
My intention was just to help. I'm not sure if a Smartphone will be able to act as a DLNA server, decode "anything" and stream to CC without problems.
Most of the movies comes with DD 5.1 or DTS and this is only part of the equation, if the video track needs to be decoded too, then it is going to fry your phone, but at least you don't need a netbook consuming 35W in your setup.

When talking about streaming from other services, like TV, take in consideration that the service needs to provide the casting to CC, not your phone. It is like fishing and giving the CC the end of the line, with the hook and the fish, from now on your phone is not part of the "play" and act only as a remote control for the TV service.
As you know Youtube can cast to CC as well as many other programs. The other option is casting via Chrome Browser on the PC, not sure if you can cast with Chrome for Android, in the past it was not possible. And don't forget that to play your local or network shared files you need to start a DLNA server in your phone, use a compatible application that can read those files and then cast it. Maybe Avia or AllCast but both are limited to supported formats only.
One last point, using MX to cast to CC will render the player device as a remote control, not all of the stuff will be available, mostly the basic controls and no 2nd language or subtitles (needs decoding). Once you start casting, the CC is in control of the decode and upscalling not MX. When you stop casting, your player is back in control.

MCP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The chromecast app is the best option until MX supports it natively, it broadcasts your screen on to the chromecast.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using XDA Free mobile app

All cast is best imo

why did u guys update showbox... lucky for me I saved the old updates, u can use v3.81 which I am using also v3.83 and v3.85 after that is where the problem is,

it is working for me, I stopped updating showbox... also have the first one from I used from DEC 2014...

here is a link to my dropbox I put the older files there if u want... just sharing... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8dgq7jckuclf966/AADuER3w32yfJoV4Cxbb6Lwra?dl=0

u can hit the thanks it this is a very useful help for the older copies...
    This is a continuation of the original thread on Google Groups.

Link to original thread: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mx-videoplayer/Xgb6KKj95vg/discussion
    Please add min formats support for Chromecast

Guys, isn't it time you had something for Chromecast? Even if it was just a few formats. I love the MX player, but I'm forced to use other players due to lack of chromecast support.
    there are many different options out there to use at the moment if you want to stream to chromecast. I agree with the developer having his standards of exactly what he wants his app to be able to do before releasing it... Kudos to him! :good:
    Wow, thanks for the update! This is good news. In terms of performance, does video playback lag if you have screen cast enabled? Would you mind also trying how 10-bit playback performance works with screen casting running? I won't be home to try this for the next few days.

===
    @CAL7 not to sound cynical, but my guess is that Google is playing favourites :p

I'll have some more time to play mess with the setup tonight I think. I haven't watched a full movie with it yet, but for what I tested it seemed fine through mxplayer- no lag for the short while I watched ( about 10 mins worth plus some shuttling forward and backward).
    To be honest, all I think I know of 10bit is that it's a higher quality or uncompressed video..I can google it myself. Just a data point that you're asking a dumb monkey when it comes to that particular question...at least until I check the "internets" :p
    but if it helps, the video I tested was encoded at 1920x 1080 4:2:0

As a side note - and not using mxplayer for this portion of a test but I've used it to mirror video playing from firefox (via a live stream) which played as it would normally just fine. I know that may not offer much in answering your question, but I mention because I was actually surprised that I had no "beta" issues that I had anticipated. And that was for the entire stream (not my reaction of surprise, but the lack of beta issues).
    That said, I'm figuring I'll have the same success with a longer mxplayer test.

At any rate, I'll give a longer test tonight. I did just see there are some noted sample vids in one of the other mx threads for 10bit (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54146055&postcount=25) and I'll try one of those. I take it I need check the box for the h/w+ setting 10bit as well.

I'll give a heads up after.