Hardware root/JTAG pinout

Search This thread

Determined

Sep 17, 2010
I spent a bit trying today, I never could get a response from RTCK at all

Ignore it, RTCK is not always available and JTAG works without it as long as your clock is within acceptable range. I used 1000khz-3000khz. Don't know if clock is configurable in riffbox that I believe you use. Also, does riffbox support 1.8v levels?

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Ignore it, RTCK is not always available and JTAG works without it as long as your clock is within acceptable range. I used 1000khz-3000khz. Don't know if clock is configurable in riffbox that I believe you use. Also, does riffbox support 1.8v levels?

Clock is configurable, I believe it does 1.8 but I'm not home now so can't verify

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cz172638

Apr 19, 2011
Connecting to JTAG with OpenOCD needs a few changes in the cortex_a.c source to enable support for Cortex-A15. If you actually make those changes and play with debug registers, you will discover that DBGEN and SPIDEN signals/fuses are disabled, so debug mode is not accessible.

I have not yet tried flashing.

that's not true, i currently play with openocd, flyswatter2 and ifc6410 (another apq8064 box) and i discovered, that problem is how openocd handles writing to crtlstat register. seems openocd implements dap ver. 0 way, but not dap ver. 1 and dap ver. 2 ways. i'm currently diving to arm coresight documentation and openocd code.

Reactions: krasny2k5

krasny2k5

Feb 24, 2011
that's not true, i currently play with openocd, flyswatter2 and ifc6410 (another apq8064 box) and i discovered, that problem is how openocd handles writing to crtlstat register. seems openocd implements dap ver. 0 way, but not dap ver. 1 and dap ver. 2 ways. i'm currently diving to arm coresight documentation and openocd code.

Good to know that somebody is working in JTAG solution for AFTV box. Let us know your findings!

Thanks!

chiefdome

Apr 6, 2012
Long time ago since last post?

Hi there folks,

is there any progress in finding a reliable jtag connection, i. e. with a busblaster to root it?
Found http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/general/hardware-root-via-emmc-chip-t2885344 which is of core a little bit risky in doing it because of http://xdaforums.com/fire-tv/general/hardware-root-via-emmc-chip-t2885344/post55673788#post55673788

I know I can solder but I dont have the other required hardware especially the emmc-adapter to make the connection with the flash chip on the board.
I do have a busblaster and I did some JTAG on a pogoplug. It worked well with OpenOCD.
So know I just want to know if somebody is working on it because it would be a pleasure to me to get a rooted FireTV.

cz172638

Apr 19, 2011
those, who are still interested,...

...have to go to gerrit of openocd and look for review # 3124

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those interested, Amazon FireTV JTAG pinout is very close to the standard 20-pin ARM JTAG. See atached image for the actual pinout. If anybody has an OpenOCD config file for QUalcomm Krait 300 (SnapDragon 600), please share. Rooting can be done by bypassing a couple of checks in the bootloader.
    For those interested, Amazon FireTV JTAG pinout is very close to the standard 20-pin ARM JTAG. See atached image for the actual pinout. If anybody has an OpenOCD config file for QUalcomm Krait 300 (SnapDragon 600), please share. Rooting can be done by bypassing a couple of checks in the bootloader.

I've got a third FireTV hooked up to my riffbox now, but having issues. If I can get a successful read and write, I'll post a dump with a hacked bootloader to run unsigned images.

Issue I'm as is im not getting any response from RTCK. Fuses indicate that jtag was not disabled, and this isnt my strong point.
    Huh. Question. Is it snapdragon 600 you want or S4 pro. I dug pretty deeply before I got the box to figure exactly what processor is in there. Amazon gives: snapdragon 8064, krait 300, 1.7 GHz with adreno 320. I couldn't actually find a direct match for those specs in Qualcomm info, but the only thing that matched those specifications was the S4 pro, the same thing in the Nexus 7. Not to derail what you started, just want to be sure you're seeking the correct thing.

from my N5

Edit: let me clarify a bit. Amazon says it's the 8064. I went to qualcomm's site and that wasn't listed anywhere. So through deductive reasoning: CPU speed and the adreno 320 match the S4 pro which is also in the N7 2013. I haven't actually looked what xda says it has, but that's how I came to the S4 pro.

Being curious, I did some reading. I'm pretty sure it's a S4 Pro as well. 600 uses LPDDR3, has higher clock speed 1.7 vs 1.9GHz, and has wireless AC.

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/help/snapdragon-600-vs-snapdragon-s4-pro-t2157201
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Amazon+Fire+TV+Teardown/23856
    Connecting to JTAG with OpenOCD needs a few changes in the cortex_a.c source to enable support for Cortex-A15. If you actually make those changes and play with debug registers, you will discover that DBGEN and SPIDEN signals/fuses are disabled, so debug mode is not accessible.

I have not yet tried flashing.