[Q] write on sd card permissions Android 5.0.2 Lollipop

Search This thread

Chavalesko

Apr 17, 2015
Hello guys,
as we all know with the newest Android update( version 5) the write to sd card permissions have been changed allowing developers and regular users to grant write to sd card permissions for specific apps and folders.
I managed to do that installing new file explorers , and when I tried to create a new file / folder on the sd card with the newly installed file manager (the native one already suported write to sd even in 4.4.4) whoala the option poped out:
folder-chooser-4.png

choosing the sd card option I was able to create and modify files on the sd.
However I still don`t know how to enter in this menu and grant write to sd permissions for a specific app without having to ``trigger`` this menu with the specific app, I want to know this because I cant ``trigger`` this with the app I most need to have it on, It is called aTorrent and as the name already suggests its for downloading torrents , if I manage to give the app write to sd card permissions I wont have to manualy cut and paste the downloaded files to my sd card.
I have already tried to ``trigger`` the pop up menu with the app trying to modify the download location and it just tells me that the app doesnt have write permissions for sd card , I tried to start downloading a torrent file located in the sd card and it showed the same message but I was able to start the download afterall this wasnt a write but a read access.
I`ve searched all over my device and couldnt find this menu, the most look alike menu is the Google Settings one , but i cant find any option to do this in that menu.
I hope there is a simple solution for this , without having to use developer console,
I look forward for your answers
Thank you in advance.
(and no my device is not rooted)

Last edited:
Reactions: !ms!

sublinker

Mar 26, 2013
Cape Coast
Hello guys,
as we all know with the newest Android update( version 5) the write to sd card permissions have been changed allowing developers and regular users to grant write to sd card permissions for specific apps and folders.
I managed to do that installing new file explorers , and when I tried to create a new file / folder on the sd card with the newly installed file manager (the native one already suported write to sd even in 4.4.4) whoala the option poped out:
folder-chooser-4.png

However I still don`t know how to enter in this menu and grant write to sd permissions for a specific app without having to ``trigger`` this menu with the specific app, I want to know this because I cant ``trigger`` this with the app I most need to have it on, It is called aTorrent and as the name already suggests its for downloading torrents , if I manage to give the app write to sd card permissions I wont have to manualy cut and paste the downloaded files to my sd card.
I have already tried to ``trigger`` the pop up menu with the app trying to modify the download location and it just tells me that the app doesnt have write permissions for sd card , I tried to start downloading a torrent file located in the sd card and it showed the same message but I was able to start the download afterall this wasnt a write but a read access.
I`ve searched all over my device and couldnt find this menu, the most look alike menu is the Google Settings one , but i cant find any option to do this in that menu.
I hope there is a simple solution for this , without having to use developer console,
Thank you in advance.

You need root access for this to work.
Look for platform.xml in

/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

Open it with text editor and add the green line to this
Code:
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
</permission>

So that it looks like this
Code:
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]<group gid="media_rw" />[/COLOR]
</permission>

Now save it and set the file permissions to 0644 that is, rw-r–r.
Reboot and that's all.

Last edited:

Chavalesko

Apr 17, 2015
Look for platform.xml in

Code:
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
</permission>

Code:
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
</permission>

Reboot and that's all.

Thank you for answering sublinker, could you clear a bit more the `` set the file permissions to 0644 that is, rw-r–r`` part in case i decide to root ?Thank you.

Reactions: cainwireshark

sublinker

Mar 26, 2013
Cape Coast
Thank you for answering sublinker, could you clear a bit more the `` set the file permissions to 0644 that is, rw-r–r`` part in case i decide to root ?Thank you.

Get root explorer and navigate to the file. Long press on it and select permission, and you will see what I'm talking about. Here are screenies.
Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-51-36.md.png

Final settings, 0644 or rw r r should look like this picture

Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-51-13a3e1e.md.png

Reactions: Chavalesko

DHeppell

Jun 7, 2013
St Austell
Help

I think i may have messed up a bit, I wrote the line and set the permissions, but now not only can i still not access my media in doubletwist but random apps keep crashing including titanium backup. have you any idea what might have caused this?

The_Unseen

May 28, 2015
Just use an app

You can just install an app which will take care of it.
Just enter "sd fix" in google play aka market.
One app which takes care of the sd-card writing permission problem is "SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD".
It worked for me (I'm using an Xperia Z3 Compact with a rooted 5.0.2 stock ROM).

Of course you need root.
Then again, changing system files in /etc/ or any other sytem folder also requires root, the app just does it for all apps because it adds the removed permission.

How-To:
1. Root your device.
2. Install a root app (for example super su) to actually grant apps root permission.
2. Download a sd-card permission fix app (for example "SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD")
3. Start the downloaded sd-card fix app and grant it root permission when your super user app asks for it. Apply the patch.
3. Restart your phone (obviously you need to restart for any permission setting changes to take effect).
4. Enjoy all apps having back their good old sd-card writing privileges like they had before 4.4.4.

Last edited:
Reactions: RuffBuster

dennnic93

Dec 1, 2014
Belgrade
Hello,

I have tried all methods mentioned above. None of them completely work.
I can make new folders on sd card and copy whatever into them for the first 15 minutes after restarting the device. After that, it becomes useless again. When the device is restarted again, all data on sd card is lost.

sublinker

Mar 26, 2013
Cape Coast
Hello,

I have tried all methods mentioned above. None of them completely work.
I can make new folders on sd card and copy whatever into them for the first 15 minutes after restarting the device. After that, it becomes useless again. When the device is restarted again, all data on sd card is lost.

Make sure you have full root and also update your busybox install.

ianpierreg

Jun 27, 2015
No need for this

Just download bittorrent and move it to sd card using an app that moves other apps to sd card. Then everything you download will be in your sd. Simple as that!

niltonomnunes

Oct 21, 2012
Maputo
Look for platform.xml in

Code:
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
</permission>

Code:
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
</permission>

Reboot and that's all.
This worked for me after rebooting twice and setting my extSdcard as default write disk.

Using Tablet PC T960S
Mediatek octa-core 2.0ghz
Android 5.1

Reactions: sublinker

X-weApon-X

Dec 4, 2013
United States
socialspit.com
Look for platform.xml in

Code:
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
</permission>

Code:
    <group gid="sdcard_r" />
</permission>

Reboot and that's all.

I just did this on a device with Lollipop 5.1, and I'm copying my Titanium Backup to my SDcard1 partition right now, I'll keep a look out on whether I lose access. ES Explorer lists both SDcard0 and SDcard1 as "drw" now. Previously, I would get an error when copying to this partition.

gyzoli68

Jan 20, 2013
I have 4 gb card with write permission ,after change to 16 gb card i lost the write permission.
I mentioned i'm on lollipop and no root.How to enabled write permission?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys,
    folder-chooser-4.png

Thank you in advance.

Look for platform.xml in

Code:
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    </permission>

Code:
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    </permission>

Reboot and that's all.
    Hello guys,
    folder-chooser-4.png

Thank you in advance.
    Look for platform.xml in

Code:
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    </permission>

Code:
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    </permission>

Reboot and that's all.

Get root explorer and navigate to the file. Long press on it and select permission, and you will see what I'm talking about. Here are screenies.
    Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-51-36.md.png

Final settings, 0644 or rw r r should look like this picture

Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-51-13a3e1e.md.png
    Just use an app

You can just install an app which will take care of it.
    Just enter "sd fix" in google play aka market.
    One app which takes care of the sd-card writing permission problem is "SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD".
    It worked for me (I'm using an Xperia Z3 Compact with a rooted 5.0.2 stock ROM).

Of course you need root.
    Then again, changing system files in /etc/ or any other sytem folder also requires root, the app just does it for all apps because it adds the removed permission.

How-To:
    1. Root your device.
    2. Install a root app (for example super su) to actually grant apps root permission.
    2. Download a sd-card permission fix app (for example "SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD")
    3. Start the downloaded sd-card fix app and grant it root permission when your super user app asks for it. Apply the patch.
    3. Restart your phone (obviously you need to restart for any permission setting changes to take effect).
    4. Enjoy all apps having back their good old sd-card writing privileges like they had before 4.4.4.