Anyone keep their phone naked, and notnuse a case?

Search This thread

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012
Was just randomly wondering if anyone doesn't use a case for this phone. Seems like everyone uses a case, and I figured since I'm not selling or trading this phone, why not use it in all its glory. The only problems is, after a few minutes, it gets oily and really slippery, and it's a really thin phone, so it gets a bit uncomfortable using it without a case.

Also, when one hand scrolling, it does this weird thing where it doesn't scroll smoothly, and your palm gets in the way, and gives the scrolling a hitch. When using a phone case, the part of the case that sticks out on the screen naturally blocks your palm, and you never have that problem.

But anyways, who's using the phone naked, and find it to be the most comfortable and best option to go with?

Gimme some pros and cons of you will.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

Rhoban

Jan 8, 2015
Dobra
Your scrolling problem is related to the size of your hands.

I don't use cases, most of them are fugly.
What's the point of having slim phones if we are going to put a case on it and thus it will become bulky anyway?
Might as well make the phones sturdier (which also means bulkier) to begin with.

The only thing I would agree with would be a side bumper. If you're not using a flip cover, even if you have a normal case, your screen will be endangered either way. A simple case only protects the edges and the back (though I don't know why the back cover would need protection). So might as well just stick to a bumper, which doesn't turn the phone into a brick.

I used to have a metallic bumper, though I stopped using it because it messed with the Wi-Fi and mobile signals, due to the metal's reflective properties.

I use the device as is. I also don't experience any grip issues, but that may be due to the fact that my model came with a leather-like back cover and is textured as such, which makes gripping easier.

Reactions: tikay00

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012

What's the point of having slim phones if we are going to put a case on it and thus it will become bulky anyway?
Might as well make the phones sturdier (which also means bulkier) to begin with.

The only thing I would agree with would be a side bumper. If you're not using a flip cover, even if you have a normal case, your screen will be endangered either way. A simple case only protects the edges and the back (though I don't know why the back cover would need protection). So might as well just stick to a bumper, which doesn't turn the phone into a brick.

I used to have a metallic bumper, though I stopped using it because it messed with the Wi-Fi and mobile signals, due to the metal's reflective properties.

I use the device as is. I also don't experience any grip issues, but that may be due to the fact that my model came with a leather-like back cover and is textured as such, which makes gripping easier.

Yeah, you're not experiencing the slip issue because y9u have a leather back. Thst makes all the difference in the world, and matter of fact, I'm gonna order a leather back cover for this phone from Amazon. You actually reminded me to do that lol.

But yeah, been using it without a case for the last day, and just can't without it getting way too slippery. Always revert back to a case.

Gotta go the leather back route.

90c4

Jun 28, 2013
I use a clear rubbery case that doesn't take up any space and is virtually invisible. Cost a buck shipped on ebay. Keeps the phone from slipping

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012
Eh, screw it. I just can't use this phone naked, and don't feel like ordering the leather back. I'm just gonna use my candyshell grip case. This phone was made to put a case on it. Way too slim, even with a non slip back.

imthesmallkid

Aug 18, 2014
I use it with no case and screen protector. I've been using it like this for quite a while. I don't really find any cons. I've dropped it a lot too but it's staying strong :) I got it 2nd hand like 2-3 years ago.

x432hz

Jul 4, 2011
I go naked with it. My hands and fingers are always bumping into the screen sometimes and I'll get rapid taps/multi openings etc. And yeah it does get kinds oily and all fingerprinty 'up'd. Thats why I mostly use one of them pen things with a rubber end. A pencil works good too.

I hate bulky cases. I went to a Boost mobile store and bought a $15 rubber case that just covered the back and sides. No cover protector. Hate them too. That worked fine until I took it off to wipe down the screen and didnt want it back on again, lost it. So Im nude again. I like these phones better without cases. Plus I' take the cover off a lot too swap sd cards. But just a cheap chunk of rubber works.

I've dropped it a few times, luckily on carpets, never scratched the screen yet, and the back part wont scratch much anyway. I should get a screen protector though. I love Lanyard Holes, but for whatever reason they stopped manufacturing them with these newer phones over the past few years. I use to keep my phone around my neck or attached to my belt loop with that little tiny hole and a lanyard string. But, no more. I hate that.

Or just do what I did. Go to Home Depot and buy liquid spray rubber in a can and spray paint the phone in a rubber coating, let dry, razor blade/exacto knife, peel where needed. lol. It works.

Last edited:

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012
I go naked with it. My hands and fingers are always bumping into the screen sometimes and I'll get rapid taps/multi openings etc. And yeah it does get kinds oily and all fingerprinty 'up'd. Thats why I mostly use one of them pen things with a rubber end. A pencil works good too.

I hate bulky cases. I went to a Boost mobile store and bought a $15 rubber case that just covered the back and sides. No cover protector. Hate them too. That worked fine until I took it off to wipe down the screen and didnt want it back on again, lost it. So Im nude again. I like these phones better without cases. Plus I' take the cover off a lot too swap sd cards. But just a cheap chunk of rubber works.

I've dropped it a few times, luckily on carpets, never scratched the screen yet, and the back part wont scratch much anyway. I should get a screen protector though. I love Lanyard Holes, but for whatever reason they stopped manufacturing them with these newer phones over the past few years. I use to keep my phone around my neck or attached to my belt loop with that little tiny hole and a lanyard string. But, no more. I hate that.

Or just do what I did. Go to Home Depot and buy liquid spray rubber in a can and spray paint the phone in a rubber coating, let dry, razor blade/exacto knife, peel where needed. lol. It works.

That's a damn good idea.

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012
Man, at the end of the day, I just can't use this phone without a case. Its way too thin and slippery. Speck candyshell grip for the win. Absolutely perfect case for this phone, light as a feather, thin, adds almost no bulk to the width of the phone, and incredibly grippy. Can't go wrong.

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
I can't remember the last phone I owned where I didn't use a case. In fact, when I purchased my Nexus 4, I actually forgot to order a case, and when it arrived, I flat out refused to take it out the house before the case arrived.

I wouldn't consider myself clumsy, but accidents do happen and they usually involve my mobile phone. I always buy the same case, a plastic/silicone TPU case from eBay, and they range from 99p to about £3. I never spend more than that. This is the case I bought for mine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Sli...hash=item36017ba2e3:m:mYsl2Xxl2euYRiFrqhugqKQ

I won't buy the hard shell cases because the aim is to absorb the impact. A hard shell case will simply distribute it elsewhere and therefore either the case will crack (causing damage to the phone) or the impact will simply transfer through into the phone itself causing pretty much the same amount of damage that you might get if you didn't have a case at all. A TPU case will genuinely absorb impact and protect your phone. I am lucky enough to say that from experience. I dropped my Galaxy S1 down a terrace at a football match (soccer) and while the case itself was scratched, the phone remained totally unscratched. I've dropped my S4 numerous times out the door of my car (usually falls out my pocket) and so far, there has been no damage to the phone itself, although that said I think the front camera has perhaps started to play up, so perhaps that's been caused by repeated drops, but it's nothing that can't be repaired for cheap and ultimately, the screen is still alive and looking gorgeous and that's the expensive part to replace.

My girlfriend dropped her uncased Nokia Lumia 900 once on a hard wood floor. The screen was smashed and the phone was never quite the same afterwards (I think there was some damage to the accelerometer). My friend has smashed many many iPhones by not keeping them in cases (it only takes one drop). I am yet to smash a phone despite repeated efforts.

One last thing, if you do buy a TPU case, make sure there is a lip. That will add a huge amount of protection to the screen. No lip, no real protection offered to the glass.

d3athd3al3r

Jun 13, 2009
Definitely a case for me ... Otter Box

Started off without one till i dropped it and broke the front glass. After months of seeing it damaged i replaced the glass myself then ordered an Otter Box case. Sure it adds bulk but at least i don't worry too much about it falling again. It took a tumble from the top of the stairs the other day and no damage, I thought for sure it was a done deal when i watched it tumble faster as it went down.
The glass replacement wasn't as hard i had thought it would be especially using the 3rd party adhesive and i must say the screen feels stronger than the original. I do agree however it is a sleek phone without a case but too slippery to leave unprotected IMO

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012
I can't remember the last phone I owned where I didn't use a case. In fact, when I purchased my Nexus 4, I actually forgot to order a case, and when it arrived, I flat out refused to take it out the house before the case arrived.

I wouldn't consider myself clumsy, but accidents do happen and they usually involve my mobile phone. I always buy the same case, a plastic/silicone TPU case from eBay, and they range from 99p to about £3. I never spend more than that. This is the case I bought for mine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Sli...hash=item36017ba2e3:m:mYsl2Xxl2euYRiFrqhugqKQ

I won't buy the hard shell cases because the aim is to absorb the impact. A hard shell case will simply distribute it elsewhere and therefore either the case will crack (causing damage to the phone) or the impact will simply transfer through into the phone itself causing pretty much the same amount of damage that you might get if you didn't have a case at all. A TPU case will genuinely absorb impact and protect your phone. I am lucky enough to say that from experience. I dropped my Galaxy S1 down a terrace at a football match (soccer) and while the case itself was scratched, the phone remained totally unscratched. I've dropped my S4 numerous times out the door of my car (usually falls out my pocket) and so far, there has been no damage to the phone itself, although that said I think the front camera has perhaps started to play up, so perhaps that's been caused by repeated drops, but it's nothing that can't be repaired for cheap and ultimately, the screen is still alive and looking gorgeous and that's the expensive part to replace.

My girlfriend dropped her uncased Nokia Lumia 900 once on a hard wood floor. The screen was smashed and the phone was never quite the same afterwards (I think there was some damage to the accelerometer). My friend has smashed many many iPhones by not keeping them in cases (it only takes one drop). I am yet to smash a phone despite repeated efforts.

One last thing, if you do buy a TPU case, make sure there is a lip. That will add a huge amount of protection to the screen. No lip, no real protection offered to the glass.

Dual layer is the best way to go. Light, slim, and offer the most protection for the least amount of size.

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012
Started off without one till i dropped it and broke the front glass. After months of seeing it damaged i replaced the glass myself then ordered an Otter Box case. Sure it adds bulk but at least i don't worry too much about it falling again. It took a tumble from the top of the stairs the other day and no damage, I thought for sure it was a done deal when i watched it tumble faster as it went down.
The glass replacement wasn't as hard i had thought it would be especially using the 3rd party adhesive and i must say the screen feels stronger than the original. I do agree however it is a sleek phone without a case but too slippery to leave unprotected IMO

Not only slippery, but just awkward to hold after a few minutes. Its way too thin and rectangular, instead of a square shape. They made the phone way too long, and not wide enough for adult hands to hold comfortably for more than a few minutes.

The design was FOR SURE made for a phone case to be put on it. I'm certain of this.

d3athd3al3r

Jun 13, 2009
A battery cover with wireless charging made it better IMO

Not only slippery, but just awkward to hold after a few minutes. Its way too thin and rectangular, instead of a square shape. They made the phone way too long, and not wide enough for adult hands to hold comfortably for more than a few minutes.

The design was FOR SURE made for a phone case to be put on it. I'm certain of this.

Update: After purchasing a new battery cover that allows for wireless charging I ditched the OtterBox Deffender case since it wouldn't fit. Though still made of shiny plastic I feel its a better option than the stock cover because it's slightly thicker, adds weight, makes the phone feel more solid and offers better protection for the rear camera lens. I can see this as an option for anyone who is looking for an alternative to not wanting to cover it up with a case.

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012
Update: After purchasing a new battery cover that allows for wireless charging I ditched the OtterBox Deffender case since it wouldn't fit. Though still made of shiny plastic I feel its a better option than the stock cover because it's slightly thicker, adds weight, makes the phone feel more solid and offers better protection for the rear camera lens. I can see this as an option for anyone who is looking for an alternative to not wanting to cover it up with a case.

Yeah, if I had a leather back cover, I'd probably use it without a case. I just need to order one. Even then, I don't know if it would be comfortable, because of the shape of the phone, and the physical dimensions.

hacktock

Apr 10, 2011
I never use a case or screen protectors because I want to feel the actual phone in my hand.

tikay00

Jun 24, 2012
OK, been using this phone without a case for the past few days, and its butter. Can't go back to cades now lol. You guys were right.

JokerFrown

Aug 27, 2013
butt ass naked here since it came out.
mother gifted me a case but it felt like I was holding a brick.
Ive dropped this thing 3,216,546,163 times and it still works fine.
last month though its not reading my sd card properly for some reason, so time to replace soon maybe.

cant submit an image to show you how banged up the sides are(not much surprisingly), no broken screen though.

portsample

May 13, 2009
No case, only a velcro pasty.

This is a very relevant thread. I finally broke the glass on my i9295 a month or so ago. The phone struck the corner of a solid object on the way down. I suspect that an Otter Box protective housing could have saved the screen. However, if I was going to be carrying around my phone in an Otterbox, I would not have a ruggedized IP67 rated phone like the i9295. I carry my phone almost naked with only a 2" x 3" swatch of fuzzy Velcro material stuck on the back. This allows me to stick the phone on the dash of my car or boat where I have a swatch of hookey Velcro material. I also do like the feeling of the fuzzy material on the back of the phone. Makes the phone feel less like a slick bar of soap. I do really like the idea of spraying the phone w/rubberized tool coating. BTW, I did finally just get around to replacing the glass a couple of days ago .

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Man, at the end of the day, I just can't use this phone without a case. Its way too thin and slippery. Speck candyshell grip for the win. Absolutely perfect case for this phone, light as a feather, thin, adds almost no bulk to the width of the phone, and incredibly grippy. Can't go wrong.

I use a clear rubbery case that doesn't take up any space and is virtually invisible. Cost a buck shipped on ebay. Keeps the phone from slipping

A battery cover with wireless charging made it better IMO