(How To) Root your pantech crossover. 2.2.1 p8000

Search This thread

formattdd

Feb 14, 2012
I'm having the same issue, upgraded to gingerbread, no root. If anyone knows why I'd be willing to work on fixing it.

shieldwolf342

May 22, 2009
I think I have tried everything from 1click to manually running gingerbreak to manual adb zergrush and nothing so far all that damn ATT bloatware is annoying

Sent from my PantechP8000 using Tapatalk 2

formattdd

Feb 14, 2012
This may be the wrong thread for this, but where do rooting efforts start? Is there a general guide for rooting the previously unrooted? I am a software developer by training and trade, but embedded linux installations aren't something I've messed with much, but I very interested in becoming involved.

Sent from my PantechP8000 using XDA

shieldwolf342

May 22, 2009
Here is the readout from root check trying to check for su access I've been working on it a bit but haven't had the time to really dedicate

Root Access is not properly configured or was not granted.

Superuser Application Status:
Superuser application - version 3.0.7 - is installed!

System File Properties for Root Access:
Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/bin/su does not exist.

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/su does not exist.

Root User ID and Group ID Status:
SU binary not found or not operating properly

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin

ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: shell (non root) user - ro.secure=1

Results provided on your PantechP8000 device by Root Checker Pro version 1.2.7 from joeykrim in the Android Market -

Sent from my PantechP8000 using Tapatalk 2

formattdd

Feb 14, 2012
Sorry for the niave question, but what does this tell us about how to proceed?

Sent from my NookColor using XDA

aXnumeric

May 20, 2012
I rooted my crossover using the gingerbreak apk as described and it went off without a hitch. However, I updated my phone yesterday from froyo to gingerbread (update just released) and now gingerbreak just hangs.

Same problem. I even tried SuperOneClick - which froze at "Step #7". :mad:

Lesson learned: read the thread front to back before acting (i.e., updating).

Have you or anyone else tried traditional root apps yet? Something like gingerbreak or super1click?

Perhaps Crimson found an answer "later that day"?

Last edited:

crimson12

Jun 7, 2010
Metro Detroit, MI
Sorry all I've had quite a hectic schedule and haven't really had time for any crossover stuff. I'll update you guys if I find anything don't worry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cvail71

Jul 30, 2012
1. Download & install File Expert from the android market.
2. Go 2 settings, then applications & Enable unknown sources & usb debugging.
3. Download & install Terminal Emulator from the android market.
4. Download & install Gingerbreak.apk using Google.
5. Pun Gingerbreak on the microSD card & install it using File Expert.
6. Open Gingerbreak & click "Root Device"

The phone will restart & is now rooted
Open up the Terminal Emulator, type "su" & hit enter. Choose the allow option to get Superuser Permissions

4 convenience, I uploaded the all apps needed. There is no possible way of this not working & messing up your phone. You don't even need a pc do do this.

My daughter has a Crossover (AT&T, 2.2.1) that I haven't been able to connect to a PC for months - try it on Win7, Vista, and XP - none are able to find/install the drivers to connect the phone. So I finally decided to try rooting according to 420's instructions (seemed simple) - I completed all steps successfully, but the phone still says I'm on 2.2.1 instead of 2.3.6.

Did the above steps just give me the ability to now update to gingerbread outside of AT&T or should it have already updated during the above steps?

Thanks

edit to add - I just tried connecting the phone to my Vista machine and after months of not connecting - it connected after rooting. So I guess I'm going down the path of updating to the official Gingerbread via the Pantech site for now.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2013
rooting my pantech p 8000 2.2.1

Open up the Terminal Emulator, type "su" & hit enter. Choose the allow option to get Superuser Permissions

4 convenience, I uploaded the all apps needed. There is no possible way of this not working & messing up your phone. You don't even need a pc do do this.

You say I dont need a pc to do this....my phone says its not compatible with the android market! I know I have no experience with this, can you explain more?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting Pantech Crossover - Easiest Way

Pantech crossover how to root.

1. install Android sdk and update.
    2. enable usb debuging on your phone.
    3. Download and install the pc suite to get the adb driver for the crossover.
    http://www.pantechusa.com/support/crossover_p8000
    4. download and extract superoneclick http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682
    5. make sure that adb can see your device. From a command prompt change directory to the place that you installed the android sdk android-sdk\platform-tools and run "adb devices" you should see your device connected.
    6. run superoneclick.exe make sure that you select GingerBreak from the exploit menu
    7. donate me.

I am running kernel version 2.6.32.9
    Root Your Pantech Crossover [P8000] (GingerBread 2.3.6)

Root Your Pantech Crossover [P8000] (GingerBread 2.3.6)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26635332
    Worked For Me

I followed the instructions to a T and it worked for me. Thanks a lot josefcrist.
    its keeps not responding and freezes after i click root "adb is seeing my device "

Did you make sure and select gingerbreak?