[ROM][STOCK][FROYO] EC03 Froyo Update

Search This thread

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Here is the update that everyone has been waiting for ;) At the moment, I'm only providing the modem, and rooted, stock, deodexed version of the ROM. There will be a cleaned up version to go along with all of this in due time, but we're currently working out some problems with it. I would like to note that despite this being the Froyo update, it is not without its own set of problems, and odds are you may never see another update outside of this from anywhere. However, the benefits of getting Froyo will outweigh the problems with it for most people, so have at it.

You will need a few things to get this, first, the downloads list here will be needed (obviously). You'll also need to have CWM setup and know how to use Odin. Heimdall will also work for those of you not on Windows, but I'm not providing any instructions for flashing using Heimdall. Also note that you will want to wipe data or perform a factory reset before booting into Froyo to avoid any problems. While you may get away with not doing it, you could end up with several problems, so my recommendation is to wipe data. Also, you can flash the ROM first, or flash the modem first, which ever you want to do. There isn't really a required order for it, as long as you do both parts.

[size=+1]Instructions[/size]
  1. Download everything you need.
    • Odin
    • Froyo Radio
    • ROM+Kernel
    • CWM Kernel
    • CWM update.zip
  2. Put the ROM zip and CWM update.zip on your SD Card
  3. Flash the Radio via Odin in the PDA box
  4. Enter CWM and flash the ROM+Kernel
  5. Wipe Data in CWM before restarting your phone
  6. Restart and enjoy Froyo :)

[size=+1]Downloads[/size]
Modem
ROM+Kernel

Last edited:

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
FAQ
How can I donate to you for this?
You can either click the "Donate to me" button above my avatar, or go through this link. Don't feel obligated to donate though, as Verizon should have given this to you (the users) long ago.

Can I still receive updates after flashing this?
You cannot receive updates after flashing this unless you revert back to DL17, which is the latest official software released by Verizon and Samsung.

If I can receive updates on this, how can I restore back to DL17?
I've been sending this to several people already that have had problems with their phones. If you need to revert back to DL17 for any reason, download this. You will need 7-zip or similar to extract it. Once you have the .tar.md5 file, flash it in Odin via PDA like you did for flashing the modem to get Froyo.

Can I return my phone to Verizon for warranty repair/service with this on my phone?
No. If you need any sort of help with your phone from Verizon, you will need to have the stock DL17 ROM on your phone. Anything else and you have voided your warranty and Verizon and/or Samsung will not have to do anything to help you. See the above question for a package to restore your phone to the latest stock software.

Are there any bugs in this release?
Yes there are, just as there is with any software. I do not know what the bugs are though off hand though as I have not been using this update. I also cannot say whether any of the problems you may have will ever get fixed, seeing as you can't even get a straight answer on why the update has been taking so long.

Is xxx modification/theme compatible with this?
Odds are that it isn't. All of the current themes and modifications for DL17 will not work on this package. They will all need to be updated to be able to work. Given that this is a relatively new release, this could take some time, especially given that it is the summer and people are on vacation (I'm looking at you trailblazer :p). We will work though to try and get all of the mods ported from DL17 to EC03 so that you don't have to give up anything to upgrade.

Will you release a "clean ROM" based on this?
Yes, and it is already in progress. I have sent it out to a couple people already to ask for feedback and any issues. Once they say it is ok, I'll create a new thread with the cleaned up version. There is currently no ETA on when it will be released though.

Are there any other kernels I can use with this besides the one that comes with it?
At the moment, there isn't. I'm trying to get a custom kernel to work, but it has some problems. At the very least, we can customize the stock kernel some, but I do not know if a full source built kernel will ever be available.

Can I flash this if I am on the voodoo kernel?
No, if you are running the voodoo lagfix kernel, you will want to disable voodoo prior to doing anything. If you don't, you'll be in for some fun times with Odin getting your phone back in a usable state.

Can I get something included in the FAQ?
Yes you can. Just create a post with the following template, and I'll try to keep the FAQ updated. If I don't see it or add it right away, don't worry, I'll try and update it. If it has been a week or two and I still haven't responded, just send me a message with a link to what you want included. Here is the format to use:
Code:
[PLAIN][b]Question goes here?[/b][/PLAIN]
Answer goes here.

Last edited:

jaizero

Oct 14, 2009
La Crosse, WI
I'm in shock... I'm on this forum every day and I missed this?! I'm going to install this and mess around with it. Ill post any bugs I find later this evening..

Kudos @imnuts for the effort!

jaizero

Oct 14, 2009
La Crosse, WI
Took about 7 minutes from download to phone setup. There was a short hang at the Samsung screen (approx. 15 seconds) but other than that it looks like it should. All startup animations are in tact..

I just gotta ask, its killing me... Where did this come from?

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
If jaizero got it to work, why couldn't I?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA Premium App
---------------------------------
Jill plays tricks, Jack plays God

torque240

May 23, 2011
Took about 7 minutes from download to phone setup. There was a short hang at the Samsung screen (approx. 15 seconds) but other than that it looks like it should. All startup animations are in tact..

I just gotta ask, its killing me... Where did this come from?

It came from heaven!!!

Sent from my Mind

odpz

Jun 13, 2009
I successfully loaded the ROM.
It hang a bit longer than usual on the verizon logo but after that no issues.
Thanks imnuts and anyone else that worked to make this possible.

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
Kay, how are people getting this to work when I couldn't get the radio flashed

---------------------------------
Jill plays tricks, Jack plays God

nodixe

May 12, 2011
Ok I dl'd both files, I have Odin1.3 both blue n yellow CWM update.zip but what is CWM kernal?
P.S. I totally love you guys and many thanks to nuts for confirming my faith in opensource and saving my phone:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the update that everyone has been waiting for ;) At the moment, I'm only providing the modem, and rooted, stock, deodexed version of the ROM. There will be a cleaned up version to go along with all of this in due time, but we're currently working out some problems with it. I would like to note that despite this being the Froyo update, it is not without its own set of problems, and odds are you may never see another update outside of this from anywhere. However, the benefits of getting Froyo will outweigh the problems with it for most people, so have at it.

You will need a few things to get this, first, the downloads list here will be needed (obviously). You'll also need to have CWM setup and know how to use Odin. Heimdall will also work for those of you not on Windows, but I'm not providing any instructions for flashing using Heimdall. Also note that you will want to wipe data or perform a factory reset before booting into Froyo to avoid any problems. While you may get away with not doing it, you could end up with several problems, so my recommendation is to wipe data. Also, you can flash the ROM first, or flash the modem first, which ever you want to do. There isn't really a required order for it, as long as you do both parts.

[size=+1]Instructions[/size]
    1. Download everything you need.
      • Odin
      • Froyo Radio
      • ROM+Kernel
      • CWM Kernel
      • CWM update.zip
    2. Put the ROM zip and CWM update.zip on your SD Card
    3. Flash the Radio via Odin in the PDA box
    4. Enter CWM and flash the ROM+Kernel
    5. Wipe Data in CWM before restarting your phone
    6. Restart and enjoy Froyo :)

[size=+1]Downloads[/size]
    Modem
    ROM+Kernel
    FAQ
    How can I donate to you for this?
    You can either click the "Donate to me" button above my avatar, or go through this link. Don't feel obligated to donate though, as Verizon should have given this to you (the users) long ago.

Can I still receive updates after flashing this?
    You cannot receive updates after flashing this unless you revert back to DL17, which is the latest official software released by Verizon and Samsung.

If I can receive updates on this, how can I restore back to DL17?
    I've been sending this to several people already that have had problems with their phones. If you need to revert back to DL17 for any reason, download this. You will need 7-zip or similar to extract it. Once you have the .tar.md5 file, flash it in Odin via PDA like you did for flashing the modem to get Froyo.

Can I return my phone to Verizon for warranty repair/service with this on my phone?
    No. If you need any sort of help with your phone from Verizon, you will need to have the stock DL17 ROM on your phone. Anything else and you have voided your warranty and Verizon and/or Samsung will not have to do anything to help you. See the above question for a package to restore your phone to the latest stock software.

Are there any bugs in this release?
    Yes there are, just as there is with any software. I do not know what the bugs are though off hand though as I have not been using this update. I also cannot say whether any of the problems you may have will ever get fixed, seeing as you can't even get a straight answer on why the update has been taking so long.

Is xxx modification/theme compatible with this?
    Odds are that it isn't. All of the current themes and modifications for DL17 will not work on this package. They will all need to be updated to be able to work. Given that this is a relatively new release, this could take some time, especially given that it is the summer and people are on vacation (I'm looking at you trailblazer :p). We will work though to try and get all of the mods ported from DL17 to EC03 so that you don't have to give up anything to upgrade.

Will you release a "clean ROM" based on this?
    Yes, and it is already in progress. I have sent it out to a couple people already to ask for feedback and any issues. Once they say it is ok, I'll create a new thread with the cleaned up version. There is currently no ETA on when it will be released though.

Are there any other kernels I can use with this besides the one that comes with it?
    At the moment, there isn't. I'm trying to get a custom kernel to work, but it has some problems. At the very least, we can customize the stock kernel some, but I do not know if a full source built kernel will ever be available.

Can I flash this if I am on the voodoo kernel?
    No, if you are running the voodoo lagfix kernel, you will want to disable voodoo prior to doing anything. If you don't, you'll be in for some fun times with Odin getting your phone back in a usable state.

Can I get something included in the FAQ?
    Yes you can. Just create a post with the following template, and I'll try to keep the FAQ updated. If I don't see it or add it right away, don't worry, I'll try and update it. If it has been a week or two and I still haven't responded, just send me a message with a link to what you want included. Here is the format to use:
    Code:
    [PLAIN][b]Question goes here?[/b][/PLAIN]
    Answer goes here.
    When I go to flash the radio, Odin says it's an invalid image type

It should work :confused: You aren't extracting or renaming it at all are you?
    Nope, not at all. I even downloaded it again just to make sure the first file wasn't corrupt

Your phone is in download mode when you're attempting to flash via Odin?
    So! I stop checking the forum for 2 weeks, and THIS IS WHAT I GET!?!?!?!?
    :D I love this forum XD