[REVIEW] Nokia BH-221 Bluetooth

Search This thread

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
I previously did a review on the Nokia BH-214 almost 2 years ago. Loved it & now I saw they have a newer version out: BH-221

First, some pictures compared to the 214 (white):
IMG_20120604_145106.jpg

IMG_20120604_145147.jpg

IMG_20120604_145130.jpg

IMG_20120604_151211.jpg

A lot of what I loved about the 214 remains and what annoyed me about the 214 was resolved. Namely the clasp. The 214 was fixed, could never rotate. With the 221, the clasp rotates 360! One of the coolest new features of the 221 is NFC. You can power it on simply by holding the Nexus up to it! (I've not had much luck getting it connected via this method yet though.)

You can *STILL* use whatever earphones you prefer. The headphones plug in in the middle, opposite of the screen, not on the edge like previously. It charges via micro USB (same as Nexus) unlike the standard Nokia micro pin plug on the 214.

They've also added an OLED screen that will show you caller id, track names (if the device it's connected to supports it), and displays the FM channel it's tuned to. OH YEA! It has a built in FM tuner! ;) If your phone was like the EVO, it used the ear phones plugged in for an antenna.

IMG_20120604_151019.jpg

IMG_20120604_151028.jpg

IMG_20120604_150919.jpg

It also supports mutilpoint connectivity, allowing it to be simultaneously connected to two devices. To initiate a search for a phone, press the Start/End Call button for about a second. Same thing for a media device, except you press the Play/Pause. Here you can see it searching for a phone or music device:

IMG_20120604_150951.jpg

IMG_20120604_145358.jpg

IMG_20120604_145336.jpg

I use it in the car as a hands free (via the Aux In) connected to my EVO (as a pure media device) and my Nexus for phone. Works great. The only aspect that I miss is that all notifications on the Nexus won't be heard because they're played over the media connection, not phone. Also, I believe the mic to be improved as I used to get complaints about echos when on a phone call while plugged into the stereo.

It took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to connect a 2nd device. It's not intuitive and the manual has NO INFORMATION on it at all. It required a lot of button holding after initiating a search. Hold the Prev/Next buttons simultaneously & options menu is scrollable via the Prev/Next buttons. The options are:
- Adjust Bass/Treble
- Connect 2nd Device
- Language
- Factory Reset

(NOTE: I didn't realize that the 214 could connect to multiple devices as well! I don't know how I decided to try, but it works essentially the same was as the 221. Press & hold the phone to connect to a phone device, Play/Pause for a media device. You don't get a screen to show the search, but it worked. I can connect to both my EVO & Nexus at the same time with no music apps running on my Nexus, but music playing on my EVO that I can hit next/prev & the songs change and take a phone call on the Nexus. Thought that was neat!)

One of the greatest things I loved about the 214 was the battery. It seemed to last longer than advertised. The 221 seems to last about what's advertised & seemingly shorter than the 214.

The other issue is price. I paid about ~$30 more than I paid for the 214. Another cool thing for the 221 is now it comes in 5 colors (White/Black/Blue/Green/Pink, but it's just the controls, the body is still black). The 214 comes in 2 (white or black, I believe maybe a blue too?). I bought it for about $75 at Expansys.

(NOTE: I haven't found a North America 221 for sale yet, they only have the EU version. You can tell by the plug, but Expansys included a US/EU plug adapter! I almost threw the box away my order came in & while verifying it was empty, I found the adapter! Works great.)

Nokia-BH-221-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset-colors.jpg

The volume is about the same, if not the 214 being a tad louder than the 221. The call clarity is as good as your phone & I've not had any complaints about noise or whatever from others when on a call.

I keep the 221 in the car because of it's better mic capabilities & the 214 (that used to stay in the car) now is around my neck full time again. Either make a great hands free/media interface for my car. The stock stereo was severely lacking & the 214/221 is a pretty good stop gap.

Last edited:

sparhawk6

May 1, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks for your review. I purchased the 214 based on your review.

I've liked my 214. My issues have been connectivity - I'd say about 1/3rd of the time my key presses on the 214 are not registering with my phone. Do you notice any increased responsiveness with the 221?

If you haven't noticed any change there, I'm not sure I'll upgrade. I haven't found the need for a rotating clip. I also don't think I need two connections.

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks for your review. I purchased the 214 based on your review.

I've liked my 214. My issues have been connectivity - I'd say about 1/3rd of the time my key presses on the 214 are not registering with my phone. Do you notice any increased responsiveness with the 221?

If you haven't noticed any change there, I'm not sure I'll upgrade. I haven't found the need for a rotating clip. I also don't think I need two connections.

I've not noticed the connectivity issues with my 214. Sometimes I do, right when I make the first connection, but it's usually pretty reliable.

As for the 221, I haven't noticed it either, other than when I power it on via NFC. I still have to hit the Send/End to get it to pair with Nexus, so it's not really saving much. I think as far as music is concerned, sometimes (with ether 214 or 221) it immediately fires up a music app by hitting Play/Pause, sometimes it doesn't.

As for a dual connection, the 214 supports it, which I didn't realize until having my EVO be the primary media device on the 214/221 (unchecking the "Connect to Phone" option under EVO's BT Settings) & making the Nexus the primary phone device (unchecking the "Connect to Media" option). Since I don't have any cell service on the EVO, I can't verify that it'd connect to the phone anyway, but I know I can get my Nexus to connect to both phone/media if the EVO BT isn't on or near.

shinji21

Nov 30, 2005
San Jose
Thanks for the review. It would be great if they put all these into a watch format with an extra speaker phone function.

Not so sure about the smart watch thing, but a Bluetooth headset in a watch format would be awesome.

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
how is the Bass and Audio Clarity? do you think it is good enough for gym?

Subjective. It works for me & I'm using Shure SCL2 IEMs (professional level). Either the 214/221 is plenty loud enough with good sealing in ears. If you want to further it, you could use a FiiO E5 headphone amp. It's about the exact same size as the 214 & will boost the audio fine. I use one on my desktop or when traveling on a plane.

Thanks for the review. It would be great if they put all these into a watch format with an extra speaker phone function.

Not so sure about the smart watch thing, but a Bluetooth headset in a watch format would be awesome.

I imagine you could just clip it to a wrist band or jogging arm band to get that.

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
One of the coolest aspects I've noticed lately of the 221 is how much easier it is to power on/off. Anyone with a 214 will tell you how hard it is to push that tiny button.

HinotoriBR

Apr 2, 2011
São Paulo
If your Galaxy Nexus has stock 4.0.4, can you please tell me whether it has a lag to play any sound other than the google music player and videos? MW600 is driving me nuts with this lag, I know it is 4.0.4 specific but I'm not sure if it is specific for the MW600 or if it affects other bluetooth headsets. The simplest way to test it is playing a game, audio lag is easily noticed while playing games...

P.s.: if you are listening to FM radio, is the phone audio still routed to the headset, and can you easily answer a call, or is it like MW600 where you need to manually switch the headset to the bluetooth mode and then answer the call?

Mindgrinder

Aug 9, 2010
Subjective. It works for me & I'm using Shure SCL2 IEMs (professional level). Either the 214/221 is plenty loud enough with good sealing in ears. If you want to further it, you could use a FiiO E5 headphone amp. It's about the exact same size as the 214 & will boost the audio fine. I use one on my desktop or when traveling on a plane.

thanx, how good does it work with Lumia phones any idea?

Flowyk

Aug 23, 2011
If your Galaxy Nexus has stock 4.0.4, can you please tell me whether it has a lag to play any sound other than the google music player and videos? MW600 is driving me nuts with this lag, I know it is 4.0.4 specific but I'm not sure if it is specific for the MW600 or if it affects other bluetooth headsets. The simplest way to test it is playing a game, audio lag is easily noticed while playing games...

P.s.: if you are listening to FM radio, is the phone audio still routed to the headset, and can you easily answer a call, or is it like MW600 where you need to manually switch the headset to the bluetooth mode and then answer the call?

SGS2 A403 (Litening Rom) ... in game it totaly have lag - delay is about half the second ... I got big delay even in MX player but only sometimes ... mostly it was with the "standard" delay
there is FM mode and bt mode ... switched with one position button ... it will automatically switch to BT when calling
Im missing android app for that device to bind buttons and more (like display managment) maybe I will write it but it wont be soon ... nokia.com/support also missing that devices (only mono headsets)

maybe bug but voice recording uses phone mic to record ... the sophisticated app is really needed

when someone calling with "turn on/off" you answer the call

its small but have own weight ... the watch option is good idea

Last edited:

andres22

May 14, 2012
Hi Laygo,

I just bought this device from expansys, and it is working great with music player but I keep losing connection when it works as a headset for calls. If I am 1 meter away from the phone it will connect and disconnect every few seconds. The main reason I bought this was to use it for calls :(
My phone is an htc Titan. Have you even encountered this issue? Any way to fix it or shall I just return it to expansys?

Many thanks.

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
The only problem I have is with NFC: when I power it on via NFC, it won't actually connect. I have to hit the phone button for almost a second (until you hear the single beep), let go & then it connects. Once connected, I do not have ANY issues with media or phone. Works flawlessly.

talipo

Jul 11, 2009
I have the model bh-214 and a galaxy I9100.
When I connect it to the aux in the car who is calling me hears echo. Is there a solution? Has tried it in the car as bluethooth handsfree?
Thanks.

LAYGO

Jul 7, 2010
Well, after awhile, the screen on my 221 has not legible at all. It might have something to do with the Texas summers or not, but I rarely use the screen. It is needed to pair/configure, but I've not used it hardly at all.

Still connects flawlessly with both my Evo/Nexus with my Evo purely as Media & Nexus as Phone and/or Media (if I have the Evo off).

jimmyff

Feb 11, 2013
Hey,
I've been looking for a decent bluetooth stereo headset to use with my own earphones and I like the look of the Nokia BH-221 but I've got a couple of concerns maybe you can help with:

Low volume issue
I've read that some people are having issues with the device not pushing out enough volume, some suggest even with the stock earplugs. Apparently the issue is even worse with mid range impedance headphones like I'd planned to use (70 ohms). Anyone here having similar issue with this device?

Track ID
I've been looking at headsets with a display (this one, MW600 & MW1) as I want to be able to control my music and see track names on my commute without getting my phone out. I've read that Nokia didn't implement AVRCP 1.3, instead they've implemented v1.0 then done some black magic to make the track information work with certain handsets (mainly Nokia's). This seems like a bit of a deal breaker for me as I want a BT headset that's standards compliant so even if the track ID doesn't work on my Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 now, when stock android updates the BT profiles to support AVRCP 1.3+ then it should all start working. What are your experiences with the track ID support?

If the two points above are real problems with the device then I'll probably pick up a MW600 or MW1 as an alternative. I just think the Nokia BH-221 looks so much nicer!

Thanks

Last edited:

jimmyff

Feb 11, 2013
Based on the reasons I mentioned above I went for the older device: MW600 - I'll post a youtube review once I've had a week or two with it.

bobdoblo

Apr 26, 2012
Based on the reasons I mentioned above I went for the older device: MW600 - I'll post a youtube review once I've had a week or two with it.

Send it back now!

The worst designed headset ever and the quality is dreadful.
I got one to replace my 7 year old Nokia BH - 500 and thought it would be great after reading some reviews.
How wrong i was!
Whoever designed it needs sacking.
When you want to turn volume up it never works but when you don't want to touch it you will.
It is infuriatingly bad.
Then there is the sound:eek:
I took it back and got an exchange because i thought it was broken.
But it wasn't as the new one was the same.
Anything over 3/4 volume distorts and it is not even loud anyway.
100% on that is like 50% on the Nokia for loudness and in a completely different league for quality.

To the OP in your review of the 214 you mention numerous times how Loud it is but then you have just said in this review you use something else to bump up the volume?

So.. Why would you need to if its so loud?

Ever tried Nokia BH-500?

Its great, quality and loudness are amazing (with different headphones but how does it compare to 214?
This site says it is brilliant, i have just ordered another BH-500 from Amazon and am now wondering if i should change?
http://www.gadgetnutz.com/2010/07/12/nokia-bh-214-review/

Edit, tested back 2 back with same songs and earphones and BH-500 is better.

Last edited:

kaivalya97

Oct 25, 2012
Ahmedabad
Well, after awhile, the screen on my 221 has not legible at all. It might have something to do with the Texas summers or not, but I rarely use the screen. It is needed to pair/configure, but I've not used it hardly at all.

Still connects flawlessly with both my Evo/Nexus with my Evo purely as Media & Nexus as Phone and/or Media (if I have the Evo off).

I have the same problem with my BH-221 in India. I just bought it yesterday. Did you find a solution for the brightness issue?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I previously did a review on the Nokia BH-214 almost 2 years ago. Loved it & now I saw they have a newer version out: BH-221

First, some pictures compared to the 214 (white):
    IMG_20120604_145106.jpg

IMG_20120604_145147.jpg

IMG_20120604_145130.jpg

IMG_20120604_151211.jpg

A lot of what I loved about the 214 remains and what annoyed me about the 214 was resolved. Namely the clasp. The 214 was fixed, could never rotate. With the 221, the clasp rotates 360! One of the coolest new features of the 221 is NFC. You can power it on simply by holding the Nexus up to it! (I've not had much luck getting it connected via this method yet though.)

You can *STILL* use whatever earphones you prefer. The headphones plug in in the middle, opposite of the screen, not on the edge like previously. It charges via micro USB (same as Nexus) unlike the standard Nokia micro pin plug on the 214.

They've also added an OLED screen that will show you caller id, track names (if the device it's connected to supports it), and displays the FM channel it's tuned to. OH YEA! It has a built in FM tuner! ;) If your phone was like the EVO, it used the ear phones plugged in for an antenna.

IMG_20120604_151019.jpg

IMG_20120604_151028.jpg

IMG_20120604_150919.jpg

It also supports mutilpoint connectivity, allowing it to be simultaneously connected to two devices. To initiate a search for a phone, press the Start/End Call button for about a second. Same thing for a media device, except you press the Play/Pause. Here you can see it searching for a phone or music device:

IMG_20120604_150951.jpg

IMG_20120604_145358.jpg

IMG_20120604_145336.jpg

I use it in the car as a hands free (via the Aux In) connected to my EVO (as a pure media device) and my Nexus for phone. Works great. The only aspect that I miss is that all notifications on the Nexus won't be heard because they're played over the media connection, not phone. Also, I believe the mic to be improved as I used to get complaints about echos when on a phone call while plugged into the stereo.

It took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to connect a 2nd device. It's not intuitive and the manual has NO INFORMATION on it at all. It required a lot of button holding after initiating a search. Hold the Prev/Next buttons simultaneously & options menu is scrollable via the Prev/Next buttons. The options are:
    - Adjust Bass/Treble
    - Connect 2nd Device
    - Language
    - Factory Reset

(NOTE: I didn't realize that the 214 could connect to multiple devices as well! I don't know how I decided to try, but it works essentially the same was as the 221. Press & hold the phone to connect to a phone device, Play/Pause for a media device. You don't get a screen to show the search, but it worked. I can connect to both my EVO & Nexus at the same time with no music apps running on my Nexus, but music playing on my EVO that I can hit next/prev & the songs change and take a phone call on the Nexus. Thought that was neat!)

One of the greatest things I loved about the 214 was the battery. It seemed to last longer than advertised. The 221 seems to last about what's advertised & seemingly shorter than the 214.

The other issue is price. I paid about ~$30 more than I paid for the 214. Another cool thing for the 221 is now it comes in 5 colors (White/Black/Blue/Green/Pink, but it's just the controls, the body is still black). The 214 comes in 2 (white or black, I believe maybe a blue too?). I bought it for about $75 at Expansys.

(NOTE: I haven't found a North America 221 for sale yet, they only have the EU version. You can tell by the plug, but Expansys included a US/EU plug adapter! I almost threw the box away my order came in & while verifying it was empty, I found the adapter! Works great.)

Nokia-BH-221-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset-colors.jpg

The volume is about the same, if not the 214 being a tad louder than the 221. The call clarity is as good as your phone & I've not had any complaints about noise or whatever from others when on a call.

I keep the 221 in the car because of it's better mic capabilities & the 214 (that used to stay in the car) now is around my neck full time again. Either make a great hands free/media interface for my car. The stock stereo was severely lacking & the 214/221 is a pretty good stop gap.

Send it back now!

The worst designed headset ever and the quality is dreadful.
    I got one to replace my 7 year old Nokia BH - 500 and thought it would be great after reading some reviews.
    How wrong i was!
    Whoever designed it needs sacking.
    When you want to turn volume up it never works but when you don't want to touch it you will.
    It is infuriatingly bad.
    Then there is the sound:eek:
    I took it back and got an exchange because i thought it was broken.
    But it wasn't as the new one was the same.
    Anything over 3/4 volume distorts and it is not even loud anyway.
    100% on that is like 50% on the Nokia for loudness and in a completely different league for quality.

To the OP in your review of the 214 you mention numerous times how Loud it is but then you have just said in this review you use something else to bump up the volume?

So.. Why would you need to if its so loud?

Ever tried Nokia BH-500?

Its great, quality and loudness are amazing (with different headphones but how does it compare to 214?
    This site says it is brilliant, i have just ordered another BH-500 from Amazon and am now wondering if i should change?
    http://www.gadgetnutz.com/2010/07/12/nokia-bh-214-review/

Edit, tested back 2 back with same songs and earphones and BH-500 is better.