SOLUTION: S-ON HTC Wildfire S Downgrade Error "Main Version is Older. Update fail."

Search This thread

mphi

Jul 2, 2011
SOLUTION: S-ON HTC Wildfire S Downgrade Error "Main Version is Older. Update fail."

Like a few people I have been trying to debrand my S-ON Wildfire S by flashing an official HTC ROM. Since my phone shipped with a later version number (1.34.110.3), the bootloader would refuse to flash the latest Official HTC ROM (1.33.401.2) even with a gold card!

Luckily I've now managed to bypass this error by hex editing and reflashing the misc partition. The following method should allow you to downgrade to any signed HTC ROM no matter what version you currently have installed, even if your phone is S-ON.

Warning: You could probably brick your phone if you flash an invalid misc partition. So follow these steps carefully (or not at all)! Also, if you flash a very recent ROM, you may not be able to use these steps to downgrade again!

1. Ensure you have the HTC Sync USB drivers installed then download the zip at mediafire.com/?wxf6y4yq6d6nc8d containing the tools you need, and an official HTC ROM executable. I used the ROM at filefactory.com/file/cbd7165.
  2. Connect your phone via USB and select the HTC sync option when prompted. Also ensure that USB debugging is enabled (this is the default).
  3. Extract the zip and open a windows command prompt and browse to the directory where you extracted the files.
  4. Execute the following commands in the command prompt:
    Code:
    adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image
    adb push GingerBreak /data/local/tmp/GingerBreak
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/GingerBreak
  5. Now enter the interactive shell mode with the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell
  6. Gain temporary root access by executing the following command within the interactive shell:
    Code:
    ./data/local/tmp/GingerBreak
    Ensure that it has worked successfully (the shell prompt should change from $ to #).
  7. As root now execute the following commands:
    Code:
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
    chmod 777 /data/flash_image
  8. Now exit from root permissions. The shell prompt should change back to a $.
    Code:
    exit
  9. Clean up a few files and exit from adb.
    Code:
    rm /data/local/tmp/sh
    rm /data/local/tmp/boomsh
    exit
  10. Copy the image file from your SD card using the command:
    Code:
    adb pull /sdcard/misc.img misc.img
  11. Run HxD.exe, select "OK" at the prompt then File -> Open and locate misc.img (which is in the current directory). On the 11th line you should see the version number of your current ROM, change this to a lower number. I set my version number to 1.30.401.0 since this was the version number of the previous official HTC ROM. The changes made will be highlighted in red. File -> Save As and name it misc2.img.
  12. Copy misc2.img to your SD card using the following command:
    Code:
    adb push misc2.img /sdcard/misc2.img
  13. Reboot your phone so that you can use GingerBreak again to attain temporary root privileges. (This may not be strictly necessary, but I think it's worthwhile just in case.)
  14. Once it's back and you've connected via USB using the HTC Sync option again, issue the following commands in your command prompt:
    Code:
    adb shell
    /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/misc2.img
  15. Now run the official ROM installer executable as normal. Note that the installer may state your current version number but this is ignored and you should be able to downgrade successfully!

Let me know if you have any problems.

Confirmed Working on:
  • TMobile UK 1.34.110.3 + HBOOT 0.90.0.0
  • TMobile Polska 1.30.401.2 + HBOOT 0.90.0.0

Last edited:

sammyke007

You also have/had the 1.03.0000 hboot?

I get:

[**] Gingerbreak/Honeybomb -- android 2.[2,3], 3.0 softbreak
[**] (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew. All rights reserved.
[**] Kudos to jenzi, the #brownpants-party, the Open Source folks,
[**] Zynamics for ARM skills and Onkel Budi

[**] donate to 7-4-3-C@web.de if you like
[**] Exploit may take a while!

[+] Plain Gingerbread mode!
[+] Found PT_DYNAMIC of size 232 (29 entries)
[+] Found GOT: 0x00014360
[+] Using device /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0

[*] vold: 0000 GOT start: 0x00014360 GOT end: 0x000143a0

And it stays there...

Reactions: saba.ahang

mphi

Jul 2, 2011
The hboot version I have is 0.90.0000, but I don't see why this wouldn't work for any version.

How long are you waiting for it to complete? Like it says, it can sometimes take a while for the exploit to take effect. Sometimes it took up to a minute for me.

Every time you use GingerBreak you should make sure that you remove sh, boomsh and crashlog if they exist, reboot your phone then push and chmod GingerBreak again.

Code:
adb shell
rm /data/local/tmp/sh
rm /data/local/tmp/crashlog
exit

** restart phone **

adb shell

m3ritum

Jul 23, 2008
11 row

In my misc.img 11th row look like this:

should I change 9.0.0.0 to 1.30.401.0 ?? My current rom is TMobile PL 1.30.401.2.

Last edited:

mphi

Jul 2, 2011
should I change 9.0.0.0 to 1.30.401.0 ?? My current rom is TMobile PL 1.30.401.2.

It seems unusual that your ROM has a 9.0.0.0 version number :confused:

But, yes, as long as 1.30.401.0 is lower than the version number of the RUU you are intending to flash, it should be fine. If it doesn't work you can use flash_image to reflash misc.img to get back the old version number.

mphi

Jul 2, 2011
If this has worked for you, please can you post your previous ROM version number and your HBOOT version? I'll keep a list of working version numbers updated in the first post. Thanks!

m3ritum

Jul 23, 2008
Sure, ROM was branded TMobile Polska 1.30.401.2 and Hboot is 0.90.0.0.
Now I have unbranded 1.30.401.2.

Last edited:

snowie72

Dec 25, 2010
Sure, ROM was branded TMobile Polska 1.30.401.2 and Hboot is 0.90.0.0.
Now I have unbranded 1.30.401.2.
Hey there, I flashed my phone with

RUU_Marvel_Sasktel_Canada_WWE_1.58.669.2_Radio_47.10c.35.3030_7.47.36.19M_release_199460_signed

hoping it would be unlocked, but now it means I cannot use your method which I previously used. I think I'm stuck on this until a new ROM comes out.. D:

Just giving people a heads up so they don't hit a wall like I did, and hope you can create a work around THANKS!! :)

//Edit

The only way to fix this is to get S-OFF right? *Looks like I'm forking out the cash lol*

Last edited:

mphi

Jul 2, 2011
Hey there, I flashed my phone with

RUU_Marvel_Sasktel_Canada_WWE_1.58.669.2_Radio_47.10c.35.3030_7.47.36.19M_release_199460_signed

hoping it would be unlocked, but now it means I cannot use your method which I previously used. I think I'm stuck on this until a new ROM comes out.. D:

Just giving people a heads up so they don't hit a wall like I did, and hope you can create a work around THANKS!! :)

//Edit

The only way to fix this is to get S-OFF right? *Looks like I'm forking out the cash lol*

Ahh, the GingerBread exploit must have been patched in that ROM then. It's a double-edged sword really; if you were running a ROM that is unpatched a malicious app could take full control of your phone...

Having said that, it still might be possible to enter recovery mode and reflash without S-OFF, but I really haven't done much research and wouldn't know where to start ;)

snowie72

Dec 25, 2010
Its just a shame there is not much going on in this section compared to other phones, lol.

I'm just going to take it into to town and get it unlocked for cash on the weekend, then save for a Galaxy S2. :D

ciefac

Jul 15, 2011
Hi!

I had the same 11th line as on picture - 9.0.0.0.

I put the tutorial values and a solutions works 4 me as well.

I don't remember ROM version but was branded for tmobile polska, and I'm sure that was never than 1.30.401.2. - something like 1.33.xxxx or even 1.35.xxxx

After all I tried a goldcard method - now works fine.

Many thanks for a solution!!

Last edited:

Zainchy

Jul 15, 2011
Chinese to european ROM

Hi
I'm trying to install the euro ROM (1.33...) using the goldcard metod in my Wildfire S but I get the downgrade error (now I'm running a 1.38... version and 0.90.0000 HBOOT).
Now I'm in China and I don't know why can't visit mediafire for download the zip with the files that I need for follow this tuto. Is there some alternative web for get this files?
Another question is if in the future will be a euro version newer than the chinese one that allow me to change the ROM without do the practice of this tuto.
I have not a lot of experience doing this, so it will be grat and easier for me :confused:

Thanks in advance!! :)

mphi

Jul 2, 2011
There's no way to tell if there will be a newer official HTC ROM > 1.38..., but if there is, you should be able to download without this tutorial.

I've re-uploaded the files to a few more filehosts, hopefully you can access at least one of them:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OKI8MVO1
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/fodci19ux
http://www.zshare.net/download/926497736bd36c1c/
http://uploading.com/files/9fa81218/tools.zip/
http://www.filesonic.com/file/1452304874/tools.zip
http://hotfile.com/dl/124169210/fc79b70/tools.zip.html

Reactions: Zainchy

Zainchy

Jul 15, 2011
Can't get root permissions

I get:

And it stays there...

Same problem :(
I'm running HBOOT 0.90.0000 an my rom is 1.38.1400.5, official HTC chinese ROM

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Like a few people I have been trying to debrand my S-ON Wildfire S by flashing an official HTC ROM. Since my phone shipped with a later version number (1.34.110.3), the bootloader would refuse to flash the latest Official HTC ROM (1.33.401.2) even with a gold card!

Luckily I've now managed to bypass this error by hex editing and reflashing the misc partition. The following method should allow you to downgrade to any signed HTC ROM no matter what version you currently have installed, even if your phone is S-ON.

Warning: You could probably brick your phone if you flash an invalid misc partition. So follow these steps carefully (or not at all)! Also, if you flash a very recent ROM, you may not be able to use these steps to downgrade again!

1. Ensure you have the HTC Sync USB drivers installed then download the zip at mediafire.com/?wxf6y4yq6d6nc8d containing the tools you need, and an official HTC ROM executable. I used the ROM at filefactory.com/file/cbd7165.
    2. Connect your phone via USB and select the HTC sync option when prompted. Also ensure that USB debugging is enabled (this is the default).
    3. Extract the zip and open a windows command prompt and browse to the directory where you extracted the files.
    4. Execute the following commands in the command prompt:
      Code:
      adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image
    5. Now enter the interactive shell mode with the following command:
      Code:
      adb shell
    6. Gain temporary root access by executing the following command within the interactive shell:
      Code:
      Ensure that it has worked successfully (the shell prompt should change from $ to #).
    7. As root now execute the following commands:
      Code:
      cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img
      cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
      chmod 777 /data/flash_image
    8. Now exit from root permissions. The shell prompt should change back to a $.
      Code:
      exit
    9. Clean up a few files and exit from adb.
      Code:
      rm /data/local/tmp/sh
      exit
    10. Copy the image file from your SD card using the command:
      Code:
      adb pull /sdcard/misc.img misc.img
    11. Run HxD.exe, select "OK" at the prompt then File -> Open and locate misc.img (which is in the current directory). On the 11th line you should see the version number of your current ROM, change this to a lower number. I set my version number to 1.30.401.0 since this was the version number of the previous official HTC ROM. The changes made will be highlighted in red. File -> Save As and name it misc2.img.
    12. Copy misc2.img to your SD card using the following command:
      Code:
      adb push misc2.img /sdcard/misc2.img
    13. Reboot your phone so that you can use GingerBreak again to attain temporary root privileges. (This may not be strictly necessary, but I think it's worthwhile just in case.)
    14. Once it's back and you've connected via USB using the HTC Sync option again, issue the following commands in your command prompt:
      Code:
      adb shell
      /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/misc2.img
    15. Now run the official ROM installer executable as normal. Note that the installer may state your current version number but this is ignored and you should be able to downgrade successfully!

Let me know if you have any problems.

Confirmed Working on:
    • TMobile UK 1.34.110.3 + HBOOT 0.90.0.0
    • TMobile Polska 1.30.401.2 + HBOOT 0.90.0.0
    You also have/had the 1.03.0000 hboot?

I get:

And it stays there...
    There's no way to tell if there will be a newer official HTC ROM > 1.38..., but if there is, you should be able to download without this tutorial.

I've re-uploaded the files to a few more filehosts, hopefully you can access at least one of them:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OKI8MVO1
    http://depositfiles.com/en/files/fodci19ux
    http://www.zshare.net/download/926497736bd36c1c/
    http://uploading.com/files/9fa81218/tools.zip/
    http://www.filesonic.com/file/1452304874/tools.zip
    http://hotfile.com/dl/124169210/fc79b70/tools.zip.html
    I quoted from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21122761&postcount=105 with some modification

Delete the file from the SD Card.
    Boot into the Hboot, connect your phone with the PC and activate fastboot. Now a red Fastboot USB should appear.

Use the command
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    (the img file is in the PG76IMG.zip file)

or you use my simple batch file. Download the Zip, unzip it and start the install_recovery.bat.

I had the same error, I followed the method above manage to fix it.