[GUIDE] How to root Desire HD (DHD) install h-boot (S-Off) and Clockwork recovery

Search This thread

saaqirajput

Can I install custom roms without engineering version of HBOOT?

I mean if I root Desire HD with visionary then use Rom Manager to install CWMR can I just take any Custom Rom like ViperDHD 3.0.1 and install it through recovery do I need the Engineering HBOOT?

graziano68

Mar 10, 2015
Rome
Hello

I have CM12 installed in HTC Desire HD . My Desire HD is S-ON , I would S-OFF so I can use succesfully the CM12 OTA updates .

I would follow the following "how to" to get S-Off

2.1) Download sfjuocekr DHD script for flashing HBOOT from here http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=444965&d=1290197847
2.2) Unzip it and copy it to Your SDCard (It's important that You have on Your SDCard root directory with name DHD and all files inside this directory. Rename DHD-smart folder on Your SDCARD to DHD.
2.3) Run Terminal Emulator
2.4) Type su
2.5) Type "sh /sdcard/DHD/check
(Please be aware that You have to type "sh" in front of command)
2.6) If everything went OK type
sh /sdcard/DHD/backup
2.7) If this also went OK proceed with
sh /sdcard/DHD/hboot

My question is ;

- is the procedure above OK to be used if I have CM12 ?
- If I apply the procedure above I lose current installed Recovery TWRP ?
- If I apply the procedure above I lose current data and pass installed in my phone ?

Thank you!

graziano68

Mar 10, 2015
Rome
I tried it and I received this

Code:
root@ace:/ # sh /sdcard/DHD/check
df4fd77f44993eb05a4732210d2eddc6  /sdcard/DHD/hboot_eng.nb0
df4fd77f44993eb05a4732210d2eddc6 << CORRECT MD5

If the above MD5 sums do not match ... DO NOT CONTINUE!!!
Something went wrong with the download or extracting this archive!

Making kernel module for version:
ODP-g655

Testing kernel module:

insmod: can't insert '/sdcard/DHD/wpx.ko': kernel does not support requested operation

If you get this error:

insmod: init_module '/sdcard/DHD/wpx.ko' failed (Function not implemented)

or

insmod: can't insert '/sdcard/DHD/wpx.ko': Function not implemented

This means the module worked ;)
You can now continue with:
sh /sdcard/DHD/backup

I completed the procedure but I am still S-ON and the phone rebooted correctly. any idea please ?

Vega Bullet

Jun 16, 2014
I had to downgrade my phone using aahk2, I think this guide only works with downgraded HBOOT. There are many outdated or dead links about that out there. If you want to use aahk2, it makes your phone ENG S-Off automatically.
Following points seem to be important:
- Don't use USB 3.0
- Use the right RUU package
- Flash an older ROM (could be my fault but it didnt work with fewer ones)
- If you are HTCDev unlocked, relock it before using hack kit

Correct me if I' wrong...

Reactions: graziano68

graziano68

Mar 10, 2015
Rome
Thank you, if all this hard work will be required I will surely stay S-ON.
BTW , I have understood S-OFF means changing only a boot file , is it correct ?
Can't I do this procedure from terminal ? If yes, anyone can provide me the correct S-OFF boot for a Cynagenmod 12 , thanks.

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Can't I do this procedure from terminal ? If yes, anyone can provide me the correct S-OFF boot for a Cynagenmod 12 , thanks.

There are plenty of advantage and few disadvantage on S-ON.

If you're rooted Security-ON(S-ON) means to flash rom onto your device requires pc for flash a boot.img(kernel). Which kinda advantage, will give enough time to think about what you're doing, lastly if anything is inappropriate it won't let you install i guess. Where as on S-OFF, you're done!!!! No point return.

I would advice you, If you're happy with amount of flashing thing with usage of pc than don't go with S-OFF. Also during process of S-OFF you might ends up with BRICK.

You can't do this using terminal and its not just about changing boot file(kernel).

Nov 25, 2017

If you're rooted Security-ON(S-ON) means to flash rom onto your device requires pc for flash a boot.img(kernel). Which kinda advantage, will give enough time to think about what you're doing, lastly if anything is inappropriate it won't let you install i guess. Where as on S-OFF, you're done!!!! No point return.

I would advice you, If you're happy with amount of flashing thing with usage of pc than don't go with S-OFF. Also during process of S-OFF you might ends up with BRICK.

You can't do this using terminal and its not just about changing boot file(kernel).
Yos hawr

Mody74

Mar 26, 2017
please help me
i want to root htc 728 daulsim
i try many apps
like as , kingoroot , kingroot , iroot , root4u , framroot , and more
but Root is failure

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please refer to this post before upgrading Your DHD
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=879525
    If You update to latest version You will NOT be able to boot custom HBOOT!!!
    Here is guide how to downgrade Your DHD if You updated to latest version by mistake
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=905003

This is complete guide for all HTC Desire HD owners who want's to root their devices and install custom recovery image.

FLASH THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG

I have collected and summarize few guides on this forum in order to collect all informations on one place.
    Check following threads for additional informations.
    Please post all bug's and issues related to DHD scripts to sfjuocekr thread below.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835746

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9183483

Summary:
    1) Download Paul's Visionary+ tool (I have used version r12) (google removed this app from market) so You will have to download it from Paul's website.
    This tools enables root and removes new HTC protection.
    2) Install engineering version of HBOOT to get S-Off (HTC bootloader, something like BIOS for Your PC)
    This step is optional and it's not required in order to flash custom ROM's on Your DHD but gives You more freedom with Your device.
    3) Install custom recovery image (recovery is special program which is invoked from HBOOT
    in order to flash ROM onto Your device.

Detailed description:
    1) Download Paul's Visionary+ tool
    1.1) Click here to download http://android.modaco.com/content/h...722/10-nov-r12-test-visionary-one-click-root/ or download it from here http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=447543&d=1290501865
    1.2) Install Visionary+ on Your DHD
    1.3) Run it, enable "Set system r/w after root
    1.4) Click "Temproot Now!" - Wait until it's finished
    1.5) Click Attempt Permroot Now!
    1.6) DHD automatically reboot's
    To test that everything went fine download from market application "terminal emulator"
    run it, type su
    If You get after that sign # it mean's that everything went fine.

Time for next step!

2) Install engineering version of HBOOT to get S-Off
    2.1) Download sfjuocekr DHD script for flashing HBOOT from here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835746
    2.2) Unzip it and copy it to Your SDCard (It's important that You have on Your SDCard root directory with name DHD and all files inside this directory. Rename DHD-smart folder on Your SDCARD to DHD.
    2.3) Run Terminal Emulator
    2.4) Type su
    2.5) Type "sh /sdcard/DHD/check
    (Please be aware that You have to type "sh" in front of command)
    2.6) If everything went OK type
    sh /sdcard/DHD/backup
    2.7) If this also went OK proceed with
    sh /sdcard/DHD/hboot
    This command will install engineering hboot which have S-Off turned off.

3) Install custom recovery image
    3.1) Since ROM manager now officially support's Desire HD, we will use it to download and install custom clockwork image.
    3.2) Run android market app on Your DHD and download and install ROM Manager app from market.
    3.3) Download and install ROM manager.
    3.4) Run ROM manager and select first option (Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery).
    3.5) Wait until ROM Manager say's that installation went successfully (Current version of ClockWorkMod is 2.5.1.3)
    3.6) After installation tap in Rom manager option Reboot into Recovery to test that everything went well.
    3.7) DHD should reboot in clockwork recovery manager.

Enjoy.
    known issue : can't remember the app, double-twist I think, it auto mounts SD card. Do you have that? Deselect or uninstall.
    Hmm probably something which come with original HTC ROM, I didn't install anything similar to that. But will double check..

Another Desire HD free from chains :)
    Did You manage to install clockwork successfully?