Returning the S8+ & back to Pixel XL, Pros and cons if anybody is interested

Search This thread

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Well I'm returning s8 plus. It just can't beat out pixel overall. Pros and cons of s8 plus for anybody interested.

Pros
Screen- is bright and very big
Battery- best battery I've ever used to date
Sdcard- also best phone with sd slot I've used to date, loads 10,000 plus photos in seconds
Camera- excels in low light, regular light it can't touch pixel
Web pages- loading and scrolling is probably fastest I've ever seen on mobile device
Samsung pay- still love Samsung pay over Android pay
No bezels- looks amazing and sleek
Samsung ui- I've always loved it and I still like it. Has countless options that are unreal but still not as fast as pure Android but that's to be expected
Edge screen- probably my favorite feature. Absolutely love night clock

Cons
Screen- is weird ratio and colors look over saturated except on basic mode then everything else looks washed out. Some apps don't like no bezels. Keyboard is weird and reply tabs in notification bar are very tiny and odd
Camera- normal light pixel has it beat, too saturated and unrealistic
Fingerprint sensor location- yes you get used to it but back on pixel and it is still way easier
Screen protector/case- good luck getting a glass screen protector to stick and a case to match without intruding on each other
No bezels- I found it hard to reach to bottom of phone for home button or anything on nav bar really
Bixby/buttons- bixby needs no statement it is just rubbish (and bixby button) and the other buttons are spread out. I like how pixel has volume and power on same side and textured power button

Last edited:

coldmethod

Aug 19, 2011
Well I'm returning s8 plus. It just can't beat out pixel overall. Pros and cons of s8 plus for anybody interested.

Looks like your Pros outweigh your Cons, although I do agree with your statement on the fingerprint scanner.

[RANT]Whatever possessed Samsung to place it where it is, is beyond me, for me the placement has rendered it pretty much well useless (Yes, in time you will get used to it; I could also get used to driving my car from the back seat, but bad design is bad design). Thankfully there are other options to secure your phone (facial recognition is by far my favourite and quickest; Even if it isn't as secure...)

However, I have always detested Touchwiz, even with the constant improvements it doesn't compare to some of the top launchers out there.[/RANT]

Enjoy your Pixel XL

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Looks like your Pros outweigh your Cons, although I do agree with your statement on the fingerprint scanner.

[RANT]Whatever possessed Samsung to place it where it is, is beyond me, for me the placement has rendered it pretty much well useless (Yes, in time you will get used to it; I could also get used to driving my car from the back seat, but bad design is bad design). Thankfully there are other options to secure your phone (facial recognition is by far my favourite and quickest; Even if it isn't as secure...)

However, I have always detested Touchwiz, even with the constant improvements it doesn't compare to some of the top launchers out there.[/RANT]

Enjoy your Pixel XL

They might but things like the over saturated screen and weird ratio are very big deals to me so therefore they outweigh all the good lol

Yes the fingerprint is weird. I honestly think they quit R&Ding the device and just threw on back to beat iphone out and get some sales. Hopefully they take their time with the Note 8 and it is perfection. I would rather have my note 7 back over the s8 plus at this point.

Touchwiz has gotten better but yes it could still use some more features. But hey they all could always use more feautres!

Reactions: coldmethod

coldmethod

Aug 19, 2011
They might but things like the over saturated screen and weird ratio are very big deals to me so therefore they outweigh all the good lol

Yes the fingerprint is weird. I honestly think they quit R&Ding the device and just threw on back to beat iphone out and get some sales. Hopefully they take their time with the Note 8 and it is perfection. I would rather have my note 7 back over the s8 plus at this point.

Touchwiz has gotten better but yes it could still use some more features. But hey they all could always use more feautres!

Fair call on the oversaturation, I think I have just gotten used to it (almost all of my devices are Samsung, I'm constantly fiddling with our TV picture settings :rolleyes:). Although I'd probably suggest getting used to the new aspect ratio, I imagine it will make an appearance on the Note 8 and become the norm, considering Samsung now has a penchant for using large phones with one hand.

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Default screen mode is Adaptive - this over saturates the screen colours. Use Amoled Photo. This is calibrated to Adobe RGB standard.

No bezel - this is a plus for me, and most people. This is the way smartphones are going. Less bezel = better phone. More for aesthetics than anything.

Screen protector/case - I never use them. They ruin the look and feel of the phone.

Camera - still the best on the market in my opinion. Beats anything else out there.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...probably-shouldnt-buy-a-google-pixel-anymore/

Last edited:

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Fair call on the oversaturation, I think I have just gotten used to it (almost all of my devices are Samsung, I'm constantly fiddling with our TV picture settings :rolleyes:). Although I'd probably suggest getting used to the new aspect ratio, I imagine it will make an appearance on the Note 8 and become the norm, considering Samsung now has a penchant for using large phones with one hand.

Yeah I don't like the fake look though. If I take a photo I want it to be realistic. I took some photos and then look at photo and object and was like man it looks way off. The note 8 better have a normal screen ratio!

Default screen mode is Adaptive - this over saturates the screen colours. Use Amoled Photo. This is calibrated to Adobe RGB standard.

No bezel - this is a plus for me, and most people. This is the way smartphones are going. Less bezel = better phone. More for aesthetics than anything.

Screen protector/case - I never use them. They ruin the look and feel of the phone.

Camera - still the best on the market in my opinion. Beats anything else out there.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...probably-shouldnt-buy-a-google-pixel-anymore/

I can't stand the over saturation. Looks bad unless you drop to basic. Pixel camera is best imo ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheAnarchist1

Mar 14, 2010
Baltimore
I also went back to my trusty Pixel XL. It is the first time I have ever voluntarily gone back to a device. The Pixel's performance can't be even distantly touched by the S8+. The optimization is worth its weight in gold alone. The S8+ is a beautiful and all around more polished piece of hardware that is severely hampered by what might be a disparity in GPU requirements v. Infinity display requirements and software that simply makes horrid use of the 2017 spec bump underlying it. I think Samsung went a bit too ambitious this time and left a few too many rough edges.

Reactions: oneandroidnut

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I also went back to my trusty Pixel XL. It is the first time I have ever voluntarily gone back to a device. The Pixel's performance can't be even distantly touched by the S8+. The optimization is worth its weight in gold alone. The S8+ is a beautiful and all around more polished piece of hardware that is severely hampered by what might be a disparity in GPU requirements v. Infinity display requirements and software that simply makes horrid use of the 2017 spec bump underlying it. I think Samsung went a bit too ambitious this time and left a few too many rough edges.
I couldn't have said it better. The s8 is just so close to perfection but so far from it lol

Reactions: xxsanioutlawxx

-Alan

Nov 10, 2010
Burbank, CA

Enjoy your Pixel XL

I read that the only reason they threw the sensor in the back was because they ran out of time. They wanted it in the screen but didn't have enough time time for production.

h4ck3r69

Dec 25, 2016
you forgot a couple more things that makes the s8+ sweep the floor with it..

HDR screen certification.
IP68 water and dust proofing.
Wireless charging and Fast Wireless Charging
Micro SD card expansion.
Bluetooth 5.0
Always On Display.
Iris scanner security.

bye felicia

coldmethod

Aug 19, 2011
I read that the only reason they threw the sensor in the back was because they ran out of time. They wanted it in the screen but didn't have enough time time for production.

I also read somewhere that the above sensor placement may hold the CrApple iSh#t 8 from being delivered as per their normal schedule, if it is true at least CrApple have the sense to ensure deadlines don't affect the final product. (please excuse my uncharacteristic optimism regarding CrApple products)

For the fanboys/fence sitters - Yes Apple has it's applications, yes some people prefer simple... this is an Android forum. As I have said in the past iPhones are for people that want a smartphone but aren't smart enough to use them. ~ from an open platform fanboy.

I forgot garbage bixby and the button!!!

I too forgot this useless piece of redundant garbage (sort of points out how irrelevant Bixby is in a world of Google Now), although the button remapped to be a "back" button is handy.

Hopefully Samsung will pull their collective heads out of each other's butts and allow the button to be remapped to whatever the consumer wishes without a 3rd party app, instead of the usual "this is how you will use the device you payed for and rightfully own" attitude of large corporations.

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member

They wanted it to be on the same spot as the home button under the screen, but Synaptics couldn't get it working good enough in time.

Reactions: oneandroidnut

xxsanioutlawxx

Mar 21, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm also going to return mine. I'm kind of disappointed that the audio quality is subpar IMHO. Comparing it with my Nexus 6P, the sound level is lower than the 6P and honestly the 6P sounds more crisp. If I'm paying close to a grand for a device- S8+ with paid bundle, I would wish the manufacturer doesn't skimp on features like Samsung did with this phone. The mono speaker audio and then the issue with the tint... I tried adjusting in settings but there's still a slight red hue which is annoying to say the least. The fingerprint scanner... But I can get used to that. The Bixby button being disabled to use with other applications. It's just too many compromises for a device like this. Thinking I'll wait for the Note 8 or the next Pixel. Damn, I had such high hopes and really wanted to like this phone, but I can't justify spending $950 on something I'm not fully satisfied with. :(

Last edited:

dehnhaide

Mar 16, 2009
Bucharest
I'm also going to return mine. I'm kind of disappointed that the audio quality is subpar IMHO. Comparing it with my Nexus 6P, the sound level is lower than the 6P and honestly the 6P sounds more crisp.

Well pointed out. One of the major gripes I think is the sound quality. I have tested a bunch of different HiFi headphones on my S8+ but it's nowhere close to the previous Mate 9 audio quality: to low the volume, mushy details in medium tonality, overall "not there". I am not sure where Pixel stands from the sound quality perspective but I would be eager to test it beforehand.

Reactions: xxsanioutlawxx

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Micro SD card expansion.
Bluetooth 5.0
Always On Display.
Iris scanner security.

bye felicia

I actually have sdcard in the op thank you and they still don't beat the pixel lol always on you know pixel has this too right?

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
They wanted it to be on the same spot as the home button under the screen, but Synaptics couldn't get it working good enough in time.
Once again shows Samsung is becoming more like Apple. I got money on the s9 having it under screen on front pulling more people in to buy it instead of waiting a few more months and perfecting the s8!

zathus

Aug 25, 2009
There were two key features that kept me from getting the pixel. Wireless charging and dust and water resistant. In my line of work I need That! If pixel 2 has those, I'm sold.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Micro SD card expansion.
    Bluetooth 5.0
    Always On Display.
    Iris scanner security.

bye felicia

Pixel xl doesn't compare to s8 plus.
    Build quality, design, screen size, hardware on s8 is outstanding.
    Whereas Pixel xl build design absolutely poor and cheap especially for the price tag.
    I do prefer pixel software, fingerprint sensor and camera but the cons outweigh the pros hence could not go back to any other phone after owning s8 plus.
    S8 plus is best phone out here right now.
    Samsung is just trying too hard right now and needs to tone it down a little
    If I wanted a toned down device, I would get a Pixel. I don't, I want WOW. The Note 8 is going to be double WOW I am sure. Samsung knows their target market and it is not you. It is me though.

They are doing very well wowing their target audience, record sales.

I actually have a Pixel, it doesn't wow me. It sits unloved in a drawer.

Enjoy your Pixel XL