T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 (v521WG) Root Bounty

Search This thread

avishah395

May 11, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Device
T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 (v521WG)

Bounty Details

Hello everyone! I'm starting this thread to keep track of the bounty for rooting the T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 (v521WG). If you are interested in donating money to the first person to successfully root the T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 (v521WG) please post your amount and I'll add it add it all up and keep the total amount updated.

Greatly looking forward to anyone interested in becoming a candidate in this challenge to find a means for root.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Be the first person to create or find a method to achieve the following:
  • Exploiting a fully stock build of the T-Mobile variant LG G Pad X 8.0 to gain root access
2. Make a post in this thread with the following:
  • Proving it works with appropriate photos and/or screenshots
  • Providing full step-by-step instructions for which anyone else can follow
3. Wait for at least one member to follow the same method and confirm it works the same on their fully stock device
4. Claim your bounty via PM from pledger(s)

Root has been achieved for LG G Pad X 8.0 T-Mobile v521WG, a root guide is available here.

List of Pledges

US - T-Mobile v521WG

@avishah395 - $3
@cd85233 - $25
@NewZJ - $25
@d3athb4dishonor - $10
@pressmoon - $25
@emilyrugburn - $25
@hyphen - $113
@kolpa06 - $14
@dr.mnemonix - $50
@Munns86 - $15
@0space_monkey0 -$10
@donmega_icecube - $15
@onlypirc - $10
@agilos - $25
@kenbrownstone - $25

Total: $390

AT&T - v520

@hectoralexgarcia - $20

Total: $20

Canada - Rogers/Telus/Fido v522

@vance74 - $15
@eleckz - $20
@BardOfOld - $25 in Bitcoin

Total: $60

List of Acceptable Posts:

• New bounty submission or increase of current bounty
  • Questions or assistance in development of a root, recovery, or bootloader unlock method
  • Questions and answers regarding bootloaders on this device
  • Questions and answers regarding the nature of lockdown on this device
  • Questions and answers regarding eFuse/qFuse and emmc write-protects
  • Questions and answers regarding kernel and bootloader-related exploits
  • If you're working on such a method or exploit, then any status updates you have on it

Disclaimer

• Please note before making a post in the thread please refer to the below list to see if your post will be acceptable. If it is not part of this list, your post will be reported and you may risk getting an infraction as per forum moderators.
  • Please note you may not make any specific restrictions or requirements that aren't listed in the OP. By making a post with your contribution price you are agreeing to paying out based on all terms listed in OP only and nowhere else.
  • Please be advised that if T-Mobile or LG are to release an official method of rooting the device (extremely unlikely but must be accounted for) prior to any member of XDA's submission, this bounty automatically becomes invalidated.
  • Please do not PM a pledge, they will not be counted.

Suggestions
If there are any issues with this thread, anything you'd like to add, any suggestions you'd like to provide or to get my attention - quote one of my posts or private message me

Last edited:

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
The bootloader can be unlocked as described in the main thread. However, could you please provide more details about rooting with recovery?

He was talking about compiling recovery first and then root using TWRP by flashing supersu in TWRP.
To make a twrp recovery, from what I know, devs need system dump. A kdz file is better but shouldn't be mandatory.
Since our bootloader is already unlocked/unlockable, we just need to wait for some devs who know how to compile recovery and are interested in our device with free time to compile TWRP recovery using system dump.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I don't own this tablet but I see its on 6.0.1. I believe T-Mobile version has unlocked bootloader so recovery needs to be built..Thats the only way of rooting mm.

You need root *BEFORE* you can even install TWRP, locked bootloader or unlocked bootloader doesn't matter. You have to find a way to root it in the first place.

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
You need root *BEFORE* you can even install TWRP, locked bootloader or unlocked bootloader doesn't matter. You have to find a way to root it in the first place.

What you said is not true. Neither is a prerequisite for the other. For some devices, they get twrp first and then use twrp to root, while for other devices, they get root first and it's easy to install twrp with root and unlocked bootloader.

Last edited:
Reactions: shabbypenguin

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
What device did u come from mate??

I have the VS985 G3 and VK810 G Pad 8.3 currently.

What you said is not true. Neither is a prerequisite for the other. For some devices, they get twrp first and then use twrp to root, while for other devices, they get root first and it's easy to install twrp with root and unlocked bootloader.

Maybe that's true but I haven't personally come across an LG device that you can flash a custom partition without having root first. I've only seen that on Samsung when you could Odin a custom recovery tar. Without root, you don't have permissions to flash over top of your stock recovery. And if you can put TWRP on without having root you certainly still need to come up with some kind of vulnerability for the device, whether it's root or something else, in order to get around the stock protections that keep us from installing and using a custom recovery.

In the case of both LG devices I have, you need to have root and a bump-vulnerable bootloader to install TWRP. I'd like to know so I can be aware: what devices can you put TWRP on before discovering a root vulnerability?

amdev0101

Aug 29, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
Sony Xperia Z5
I have the VS985 G3 and VK810 G Pad 8.3 currently.

Maybe that's true but I haven't personally come across an LG device that you can flash a custom partition without having root first. I've only seen that on Samsung when you could Odin a custom recovery tar. Without root, you don't have permissions to flash over top of your stock recovery. And if you can put TWRP on without having root you certainly still need to come up with some kind of vulnerability for the device, whether it's root or something else, in order to get around the stock protections that keep us from installing and using a custom recovery.

In the case of both LG devices I have, you need to have root and a bump-vulnerable bootloader to install TWRP. I'd like to know so I can be aware: what devices can you put TWRP on before discovering a root vulnerability?

All devices that have MM out of the box need to unlock bootloader and flash recovery first! There is no such explocit that allows you to root MM! Thats why Chainfire made SYSTEMLESS ROOT FOR MM, which basically places root in boot.img, in MM system cannot be touched. Hence recovery is mandatory to root MM which this device came with, its not G Pad 8.3, you cannot downgrade to KitKat bootloader as it doesn't exist! BUT as its from T-Mobile they bootloader IS UNLOCKED out of the box, do if someone builds recovery you can simply flash it in fastboot. Devices that require recovery are G4, G5, OnePluses, Nexuses, Sony devices and many many more.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
All devices that have MM out of the box need to unlock bootloader and flash recovery first! There is no such explocit that allows you to root MM! Thats why Chainfire made SYSTEMLESS ROOT FOR MM, which basically places root in boot.img, in MM system cannot be touched. Hence recovery is mandatory to root MM which this device came with, its not G Pad 8.3, you cannot downgrade to KitKat bootloader as it doesn't exist! BUT as its from T-Mobile they bootloader IS UNLOCKED out of the box, do if someone builds recovery you can simply flash it in fastboot. Devices that require recovery are G4, G5, OnePluses, Nexuses, Sony devices and many many more.

Ah, sorry, didn't realize T-Mobile bootloaders are unlocked out of the box, my bad. :) Here I had thought all devices had a locked bootloader these days, especially out of the box Marshmallow ones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Device
    T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 (v521WG)

Bounty Details

Hello everyone! I'm starting this thread to keep track of the bounty for rooting the T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 (v521WG). If you are interested in donating money to the first person to successfully root the T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 (v521WG) please post your amount and I'll add it add it all up and keep the total amount updated.

Greatly looking forward to anyone interested in becoming a candidate in this challenge to find a means for root.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Be the first person to create or find a method to achieve the following:
    • Exploiting a fully stock build of the T-Mobile variant LG G Pad X 8.0 to gain root access
    2. Make a post in this thread with the following:
    • Proving it works with appropriate photos and/or screenshots
    • Providing full step-by-step instructions for which anyone else can follow
    3. Wait for at least one member to follow the same method and confirm it works the same on their fully stock device
    4. Claim your bounty via PM from pledger(s)

Root has been achieved for LG G Pad X 8.0 T-Mobile v521WG, a root guide is available here.

List of Pledges

US - T-Mobile v521WG

@avishah395 - $3
    @cd85233 - $25
    @NewZJ - $25
    @d3athb4dishonor - $10
    @pressmoon - $25
    @emilyrugburn - $25
    @hyphen - $113
    @kolpa06 - $14
    @dr.mnemonix - $50
    @Munns86 - $15
    @0space_monkey0 -$10
    @donmega_icecube - $15
    @onlypirc - $10
    @agilos - $25
    @kenbrownstone - $25

Total: $390

AT&T - v520

@hectoralexgarcia - $20

Total: $20

Canada - Rogers/Telus/Fido v522

@vance74 - $15
    @eleckz - $20
    @BardOfOld - $25 in Bitcoin

Total: $60

List of Acceptable Posts:

• New bounty submission or increase of current bounty
    • Questions or assistance in development of a root, recovery, or bootloader unlock method
    • Questions and answers regarding bootloaders on this device
    • Questions and answers regarding the nature of lockdown on this device
    • Questions and answers regarding eFuse/qFuse and emmc write-protects
    • Questions and answers regarding kernel and bootloader-related exploits
    • If you're working on such a method or exploit, then any status updates you have on it

Disclaimer

• Please note before making a post in the thread please refer to the below list to see if your post will be acceptable. If it is not part of this list, your post will be reported and you may risk getting an infraction as per forum moderators.
    • Please note you may not make any specific restrictions or requirements that aren't listed in the OP. By making a post with your contribution price you are agreeing to paying out based on all terms listed in OP only and nowhere else.
    • Please be advised that if T-Mobile or LG are to release an official method of rooting the device (extremely unlikely but must be accounted for) prior to any member of XDA's submission, this bounty automatically becomes invalidated.
    • Please do not PM a pledge, they will not be counted.

Suggestions
    If there are any issues with this thread, anything you'd like to add, any suggestions you'd like to provide or to get my attention - quote one of my posts or private message me
    JVBsOv96Sor6W5XIorCUbojAZxD-scA_F3u1t63Wc-IyMW_iCsRg5CA6_mr8ous0q9zASv0EznqhE1sSXWAHwjDgBSnjZBylt5Gb6Rsj-1vUi20TKP_AWp9iSD4Gnm0k8nuhn-z2D_mbNMnUxnxfhqiUXo_Z_YN2JEM9iJGu_TnCNiDKo8N0QAQC0J7hsgk_5xBjCXhRlxOvRsD9RtryTC0NaWYi0zoZO1zFuHLC0qaefntERsYKq1l2Z4ZcH6hJZayJcoPdWSczV1DoKlr-iUG2Kd3s1MVJ1anaePwfhjjC1qTd0-an6QGTCHicY7H9KZvTg148N37wvYBijt0OTIo0kfXY5bfdrKcJ_fkGrg-YsicXt0i-ZNGbHtSfUC2MtipGdua4rNQchbX0c9kQPkTSKjXtBHH4q6wTNmbTpTcUGMz8pupllbBHIiDHklO45iMjbi5zt-dJpBfFCGRiZ6TaT2TBNI5FeKIzPXnVql6ghFSn2ZpmvE8K1vG73KXXkdDI_wuBbnP6IbsDKDWbgwznBo_WvI8JlNw_Ew8Fy61OPg9kRVI5E63Hm_EvpxctlpoBeMwFqRLeWNm6KgBvsj9bfLT675Pv=w684-h912-no

updating to teh latest version and trying to fix some fstab woes and should be good to go
    I will match everyone's donation so $113 for I.
    I'll donate $25 for root
    $25 From Me

for the person who roots it. I paid a similar bounty to root the T-MO LG G5 and it's definitely worth it to me.