Notifications bug still present ?

Search This thread

microdog

Dec 27, 2014
Good morning everyone,

I'm from France. Two years ago, I bought a Huawei Ascend Mate 7. I was very happy about this device, but I had to sell it because of a bug with the notifications not coming through (Whatsapp, Facebook..) when the screen was off. I tried all the settings possible but nothing worked. Today, I'd like to buy a Huawei Mate 9, but I wonder if this bug is still there ? I did a lot of researchs about the settings we must apply before seeing notifications coming through.. like Protect the apps, Ignore battery optimization, switch power plan to "performance" etc... But people still have troubles on many Huawei devices.. I even red an article on xda about how to get rid of Doze on Huawei devices to see the notification get fully functional..

But also red many articles saying that Huawei will roll out an update at the Autumn to definitely see notifications work directly out of the box.. Is it true ? And is the fix already implemented in Emui 5.0 on the Mate 9 ?

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I'd really like to buy this device but I won't if this bug is still there...

Have a nice day !

Mikeoscar62

Oct 15, 2016
I believe the bug you mention is due to the "feature" in EMUI which aggressively kills apps as soon as the screen is locked. In EMUI 5.0 this has now become an opt-in service. There is a list of apps, empty by default, which are killed. So the user now has far more control over this entire process. Personally I have had zero issues receiving whatsapp's or other notifications while the phone was sleeping.

microdog

Dec 27, 2014
Morning Mikeoscar62,

I believe the bug you mention is due to the "feature" in EMUI which aggressively kills apps as soon as the screen is locked. In EMUI 5.0 this has now become an opt-in service. There is a list of apps, empty by default, which are killed. So the user now has far more control over this entire process. Personally I have had zero issues receiving whatsapp's or other notifications while the phone was sleeping.

Thank you very much for your answer ! That's very interresting and I'm very happy about it !

Where is this setting exactly in Emui 5.0 ?

You have 0 problem about notifications (on data as well as wi-fi ?) but, was it 100 % functional out of the box or did you have to apply some settings first ?

I'd also like to have more feedbacks before I make my final decision ! Anyways, thanks again ! That is a wonderful news ! :)

Mikeoscar62

Oct 15, 2016
It's part of the battery screen, app power saving tab. Worked fine out of the box for me, didn't need to change a thing.

microdog

Dec 27, 2014
Ok, that's great ! Thank you ! Can other Mate 9 owners confirm it ? So I think I'll go for it on Friday ! :)

varun.gid

Jun 18, 2008
Dubai
what about notification icons on the status ar.. has that been fixed or it is still just a number :(

alamiry

Dec 28, 2010
I bought the mate 9 couple of days back and I'm confirming the issue of whatsapp still present. You won't be able to know how many unread messages you have from the icon, unless you open the app or top slider. Bearing on mind I've formated the device but it was a useless trial.

Mikeoscar62

Oct 15, 2016
I bought the mate 9 couple of days back and I'm confirming the issue of whatsapp still present. You won't be able to know how many unread messages you have from the icon, unless you open the app or top slider. Bearing on mind I've formated the device but it was a useless trial.

That's a different issue from what OP was talking about. You're discussing the fact notifications are grouped together in a number, he was discussing whatapp messages not even arriving because the phone would kill the application. The first is still present (Although the Android Police podcast was saying it would probably be fixed soon by a software update), the second has been solved in EMUI 5.0.

Reactions: alamiry

blackspp

Dec 5, 2010
Amsterdam
That's why I'm using smart launcher 3. Bestest launcher anyways but it also shows notifications per icon, really great. And the notification number in the notification bar you can switch them off int the settings. Better even, all my phone's notifications end up on my Pebble...

opasha

Jul 2, 2009
Nova launcher in my opinion is the best. I've been running it on all my android devices since it was released. It also has unread notification counts on each app of your choice. It's very fast and efficient. I have a Pebble time steel, so I agree with @blackspp.

microdog

Dec 27, 2014
Hello again everyone,

So I bought the device two days ago and I received it yesterday. In the first place, when I ran some tests, I was I little bit worried because, on data, I had my Whatsapp notification only if I opened the app.. On wi-fi, everything worked instantly. Same problem I had with my Mate 7. Worst, a friend made a Whatsapp phone call right next to me.. And the phone started ringing only 10 - 15 secondes after..

But then, fortuantely, my friend and I kept running some tests and suddenly, the terminal behavior was normal.. So... I didn't understand all of this but.. fingers crossed for now !

Thank you all !

MarFor66

Nov 10, 2016
OnePlus Open
Good morning everyone,

I'm from France. Two years ago, I bought a Huawei Ascend Mate 7. I was very happy about this device, but I had to sell it because of a bug with the notifications not coming through (Whatsapp, Facebook..) when the screen was off. I tried all the settings possible but nothing worked. Today, I'd like to buy a Huawei Mate 9, but I wonder if this bug is still there ? I did a lot of researchs about the settings we must apply before seeing notifications coming through.. like Protect the apps, Ignore battery optimization, switch power plan to "performance" etc... But people still have troubles on many Huawei devices.. I even red an article on xda about how to get rid of Doze on Huawei devices to see the notification get fully functional..

But also red many articles saying that Huawei will roll out an update at the Autumn to definitely see notifications work directly out of the box.. Is it true ? And is the fix already implemented in Emui 5.0 on the Mate 9 ?

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I'd really like to buy this device but I won't if this bug is still there...

Have a nice day !

I can confirm the delay of push notifications with Nine email. Very irregulary. Some time the notifications are very on time but sometimes the delay is max ca 4 minutes.

Alexaii

Nov 28, 2016
I can also confirm the notification bug exist. I enabled all permissions and disabled all battery optimization options but am still not getting whatsapp notifications unless I open the app.

Does anyone know if switching to Nova launcher will help retrieve those notifications? Or does it only affect the display of the notifications (bubbles on icons instead of number in status bar)?

Mikeoscar62

Oct 15, 2016
I can also confirm the notification bug exist. I enabled all permissions and disabled all battery optimization options but am still not getting whatsapp notifications unless I open the app.

Does anyone know if switching to Nova launcher will help retrieve those notifications? Or does it only affect the display of the notifications (bubbles on icons instead of number in status bar)?

For what it's worth I've installed Nova on day 1 and have had no issues at all receiving whatsapp notifications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's a different issue from what OP was talking about. You're discussing the fact notifications are grouped together in a number, he was discussing whatapp messages not even arriving because the phone would kill the application. The first is still present (Although the Android Police podcast was saying it would probably be fixed soon by a software update), the second has been solved in EMUI 5.0.
    Notification bug is solved with the just installed MHA-L29C423B126 OTA update, all notifications are instantanious for me now :)
    I have't got no update? I went into settings to check for update but says there is none. :(

An update rolls out in waves but you should get it very soon. Here is a downloadlink for the B126 OTA http://r.srvtrck.com/v1/redirect?ur...ip&ad_t=advertiser&ad_zi=YieldLink&ad_dt=link.
    Its a bug and a pre release software bug. Bit dramatic to return it don't you think....I mean you were keen enough to order it early and most likely from grey sources. I find it a PITA but not enough to return it.

Does the new update actually show on the notification bar (before pulling down) an icon for the app concerned now, or does it still only show a number? The number is crap.
    It shows app icons by default now but you can still change it to a number or nothing.

Still waiting on my Mate 9 Pro, so I can't confirm it myself but I've read several sources stating the above.
    We are not talking about that issue.

Pay more attention.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920F mediante Tapatalk

Then what is your issue exactly ? Or do you mean numbers of notifications in the app icons itself.