Rooted Lenovo TOOL -Lenovo IdeaPad K1 ONLY!-

Search This thread

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
I have a new Ideapad K1. After few days of use, it now just keeps restarting after Lenovo and Nvidia logos. Its originally US version tablet.
After going through this and many other threads, I am still trying to understand if there is any easy way I can try to restore my tablet. I am not interested in rooting it, just wanna restore it. Wish to avoid loosing warranty, if possible. Anyone can guide me with a simple procedure? Thanks in advance.
Give more info, you said you went through this and other threads. Did you follow any of their directions (ie did you try to root your device).

If you've left it stock and just wish to do a factory reset I believe you have to turn it on while holding down the volume up button which will put it into recovery mode.

If, on the other hand, you've flashed anything you'll need to use this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1442162

Last edited:

ais11

Jan 20, 2007
Give more info, you said you went through this and other threads. Did you follow any of their directions (ie did you try to root your device).

If you've left it stock and just wish to do a factory reset I believe you have to turn it on while holding down the volume up button which will put it into recovery mode.

If, on the other hand, you've flashed anything you'll need to use this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1442162

Thanks for your assistance. Actually I am new to android and trying to understand terms like "stock" or different versions/types of restores. I tried powering it up with Volume+ button but nothing seems to happen. I was assuming it may work only if there is certain file in certain location etc.

No I didn't do rooting. While I was using this Lenovo K1 tablet, I applied all available updates (US Version) through "settings/system updates". It stopped working all of a sudden after few days of last update. Nothing is done so far since its problem of restarting.

Will appreciate if its possible to get some simple instructions like which files to be copied on which location and what sequence can be followed to make it factory reset. Not interested in rooting unless if its really important to make it functional. Thanks once again.

gallahad2000

Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for your assistance. Actually I am new to android and trying to understand terms like "stock" or different versions/types of restores. I tried powering it up with Volume+ button but nothing seems to happen. I was assuming it may work only if there is certain file in certain location etc.
I just remember reading that vol up + power takes you to recovery (I can't find where I read it now). I wouldn't believe that you would need any files in any certain locations. I looked into the K1 users manual but it talks about oneclick recovery, which is a pc recovery, installed on a partition of the K1s "hard drive". Can you call the lenovo 1-800 number? ...or would that be expensive?

Try this:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...ctory-reset-on-my-ThinkPad-tablet/ta-p/601793
This isn't the article I read, mine just mentioned pressing the button, but this may work.

Here's one for the K1 but I have my doubts that this will fix your instability:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Slate-Tablets-Knowledge/Factory-reset/ta-p/567133

Last edited:

ais11

Jan 20, 2007
I just remember reading that vol up + power takes you to recovery (I can't find where I read it now). I wouldn't believe that you would need any files in any certain locations. I looked into the K1 users manual but it talks about oneclick recovery, which is a pc recovery, installed on a partition of the K1s "hard drive". Can you call the lenovo 1-800 number? ...or would that be expensive?

Thanks once again. I was under impression that one of the procedures here in the forums may help bringing to tablet back to its life. Let me try talking to Lenovo support asking about that oneclick recovery and share the results with you guys.:) Thanks

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
my k1 had an OTA update to US version 14_14....because of this i lost my root...any help on how to get back superuser?

14_14 ROOTED
Yup, piece of cake. Flash the 13_13 back onto your tablet rooted. Then use the tools to backdoor the 13_13 and then take the 14_14 update.

Instructions:

1. Get on a rooted version.
2. Use the backdoor tool to make a backdoor into the system
3. Take the OTA's until the 14_14 is done and there are no more.
4. Reinstall the SU tools and busybox
5. Turn off the backdoor

TD

Last edited:

rosenbj

Nov 30, 2009
14_14 ROOTED
Yup, piece of cake. Flash the 13_13 back onto your tablet rooted. Then use the tools to backdoor the 13_13 and then take the 14_14 update.

Instructions:

1. Get on a rooted version.
2. Use the backdoor tool to make a backdoor into the system
3. Take the OTA's until the 14_14 is done and there are no more.
4. Reinstall the SU tools and busybox
5. Turn off the backdoor

TD
Guess I did something wrong. I was on 13_13 running fine. Used the backdoor command file to turn the back door on. Did a reboot. Installed the updates. After the reboot root was gone. Tried installing Superuser and Busybox but still no root. Turn off the backdoor via the command also failed. The mount command in the shell script said operation not permitted.

Did the reboot after running the command (before the update to 14_14) cause my issue?

Thanks,
JR

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Guess I did something wrong. I was on 13_13 running fine. Used the backdoor command file to turn the back door on. Did a reboot. Installed the updates. After the reboot root was gone. Tried installing Superuser and Busybox but still no root. Turn off the backdoor via the command also failed. The mount command in the shell script said operation not permitted.

Did the reboot after running the command (before the update to 14_14) cause my issue?

Thanks,
JR

I tested it for you and it works. You need to turn on the backdoor and reboot the tablet.

Then take the update. After the update is installed, you have backdoor root only and if you turn it off (ouch). So, before you turn it off, reinstall busybox and su. Reboot, check su etc. and then turn off the backdoor and reboot. On 14_14 rooted!

"Take your stinking locked bootloader of my tablet you damn dirty Lenovo company"

Last edited:

rsgarcia888

Apr 2, 2011
so after backdoor on....install the OTA then reinstall super user before rebooting?....how can that be coz after installing the OTA, the tablet will reboot automatically??? u can only reinstall super user after rebooting?

Last edited:

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
so after backdoor on....install the OTA then reinstall super user before rebooting?....how can that be coz after installing the OTA, the tablet will reboot automatically??? u can only reinstall super user after rebooting?

Install backdoor and reboot.

Backdoor keeps the tablet automatically rooted once you install it and reboot. So, take your OTA and then make sure you reinstall your su and busybox tools before you turn off the backboor.

Steps:
1. Power off tablet
2. Connect tablet to PC
3. Power on tablet
4. Make sure adb is communicating with tablet
5. Install backdoor (on)
6. Reboot tablet
7. Install OTA
8. Install SU and busybox
9. Reboot tablet
10. VERIFY YOU HAVE SU and busybox properly INSTALLED and then Turn Off backdoor
11. Reboot
12. Give me lots of credit

Last edited:

rsgarcia888

Apr 2, 2011
Install backdoor and reboot.

Backdoor keeps the tablet automatically rooted once you install it and reboot. So, take your OTA and then make sure you reinstall your su and busybox tools before you turn off the backboor.

Steps:
1. Power off tablet
2. Connect tablet to PC
3. Power on tablet
4. Make sure adb is communicating with tablet
5. Install backdoor (on)
6. Reboot tablet
7. Install OTA
8. Install SU and busybox
9. Reboot tablet
10. VERIFY YOU HAVE SU and busybox properly INSTALLED and then Turn Off backdoor
11. Reboot
12. Give me lots of credit

something wrong in the steps above....after step 7, the tablet will flash and automatically go to step 9 (reboot),,,,

you cannot go to step 8 without rebooting first..

pls help,,,

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
something wrong in the steps above....after step 7, the tablet will flash and automatically go to step 9 (reboot),,,,

you cannot go to step 8 without rebooting first..

pls help,,,

Sorry you're having trouble, please just follow the steps. Do NOT worry about rebooting after the backdoor is installed. It works and yes, the OTA reboots and you can reboot it too if you would like. It doesn't matter. Once you have the backdoor installed you only need to reboot once to lock in the backdoor. But feel free to reboot 1 to 100 times it doesn't matter until you turn Off the backdoor and then reboot. But, please remember to install su and busybox back before you turn Off the backdoor and reboot.

Hope this helps,
Let me know
TD

Example:
1. Install backdoor
2. reboot (Backdoor is now on until you turn it off and reboot)
3. Install OTA
4. reboot
5. reboot
6. reboot
7. reboot
8. install su and busybox
9. reboot
10. reboot
11. Turn OFF backdoor
12 reboot
13 BACKDOOR is gone!!!!!!

PS> Remember backdoor is NOT rooting, it is a way to renter the tablet as root so you can install a root. If you turn off the backdoor and reboot, it can only be turned back on if you are root. Therefore, if you forget to re-root your tablet and then turn off your backdoor, you're SOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsgarcia888

rsgarcia888

Apr 2, 2011
From where will i install superuser and busybox? From no. 3 option in backdoor tool?

EDIT: install su and busybox using the busybox tool inside the K1_V2 folder :)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA App

Last edited:

rsgarcia888

Apr 2, 2011
Mr TD can u just please upload a flashable rooted 14_14 US rooted version :)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone is interested, I built a tool to root the Lenovo K1
    I tested it on K1_A301_04_04_111017_US.

This is a stock image with SU installed. However, you could replace the system.img image with any custom image you want to make, if you don't like the stock one.

Warning: This will delete everything on your tablet.
    It would be possible to change the Nvflash to only load a rooted boot image, if that's what you wanted. You could just flash in the boot.img which would give you a ADB root, but that's your call and you'll have to change the loader.

Also, if you hook this up and want to use ADB to connect then you will need to build driver definitions and add 0x17EF to the adb_usb.ini. Here are the driver definitions.
    [Google.NTx86]
    ;Lenovo
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install,USB\VID_17EF&PID_740A
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install,USB\VID_17EF&PID_740A&MI_01

[Google.NTamd64]
    ;Lenovo
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install,USB\VID_17EF&PID_740A
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install,USB\VID_17EF&PID_740A&MI_01

================= Additional information =======================
    The instructions are in the readme.pdf inside the zip. Just download the 7zip archive and unzip it to a folder on your Desktop.
    Here's the link: http://www.multiupload.com/ASJT84WZ0Q
    Alternate download location: http://depositfiles.com/files/6qd3tbtzl

This is for the Ideapad Tablet K1 which is here http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/ideapad/

Also this is a tool plus a complete set of images (the whole tablet of data all partitions).
    K1_a301_13_13_111209_us rooted

K1-V2 - Rooting and Flashing TOOL :)
    K1_A301_13_13_111209_US

With some help from (gallahad2000), I've got K1-V2 Root and flash all done. Please read the readme.pdf. Also, note that this tool will erase everything on your tablet. This tool will flash your tablet to the latest US version (K1_A301_13_13_111209_US). It is TOTALLY stock other than root(#).

===================================
    Release notes-- V2a
    http://www.multiupload.com/OZ7IXJKHLR
    ===================================
    - Fixed factory restore and OTA's
    - Fixed Superuser and busybox applications
    - Added back in the additional 'bloatware' user applications which also fixes missing favorites.

The original tool V1, was based on K1_A301_04_04_111017_US and was buggy, plus the rooting process also broke factory restore and OTA's, and the Superuser tools weren't the latest. Plus it removed the default user applications that some people liked

This is TOTALLY stock A301_13_12_11209US with only su, busybox, and Superuser tools. This is what everyone has been wanting. Everything should work (Netflix etc), because it is the latest release.

WARNING: OTA's will download and install which will remove root. So be careful when accepting an OTA. I did not turn OTA's off, so beware updates will break root. I created a backdoor application that you can use to install a backdoor prior to installing an OTA. It is a script and it is in the folder called backdoor (you need adb working). Then you can use the backdoor to get back in and set back up root. But, this should be only done by someone that knows what they are doing. Also, some OTA's reset the entire tablet which also removes the backdoor. So, prior to installing any OTA, you should look at the update and ensure it won't break root and ensure the backdoor would allow you back in as root.

Note: There is a new backdoor tool in K1 - PermanentRoot which permanently locks the su (root#) so it cannot be broken via an OTA. Located here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21372007&postcount=1

Hope this all works for you,
    TD
    Backup of the stock lenovo .apks!

File 1:http://www.mediafire.com/?r7iskr3wrfx4u01
    File 2:http://www.mediafire.com/?fymdv9e9kmj332s
    File 3:http://www.mediafire.com/?w33k205ej4fpbcl

A big thanks to Khanning who was nice enough to walk me through the adb commands and bear with me when I couldn't get adb over usb to work.
    I have the same problem!!!! I install this rom K1_A301_04_04_111017_US but now I cant install any update :( "Root" and "Factory reset" Dont work!!!!!!!!!!
    Please help! How to install another rom from OTA?????? (P.S.: update through Vol+ + Power off button dont work too)
    I think this breaks ota updates mine do not work also I'M on 3.1 "root" doesn't seem to be granted from this flash( may be an ADB issue with me) I had to use the rootzwiki abd commands to get root access on my k1.1.
    Steps I to get SU Root access on my K1used for windows 7 after running the TOOL(script)
    I don't know if these steps are all necessary I struggled for about 6 hours to attain root on my device. Also I'm a novice just tinkering so use These steps at YOUR OWN RISK.
    1. After I ran the script here I then reinstalled ABD manualy from zip to my C drive the installer windows exe from Google doesn't seem to find the device. (find a you tube video how to install ADB if you don't know requires some tinkering.
    2. Installed LeTools (google it) to get the abd drivers to work.
    3. Download this K1Root.rar http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AG10XE25
    4.Extract K1Root.rar to C drive
    5.Then I used the RootK1.zip form here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1397974 and Overwrite the RootK1.zip locatedC:\K1Root\K1Root\NVFLASH_HOME from the extracted K1Root.rar above.
    6. Make sure your device is in debug and connect via usb.(just connect no special mode)
    7. Go to C:\K1Root\K1Root\NVFLASH_HOME and run the RootK1.bat file and select option 4. Push Su It should acess and you'll see the # if it worked.
    8. close CMD.exe
    9. open CMD.exe and try the following commands( From Shaztech at rootzwiki I changed some order)
    1 adb devices( A number should appear for your device if your connected)
    2- adb remount ( this failed randomly for me keep trying)
    3- adb shell
    4- cd /system/bin
    5- chmod 4755 su (I believe this is what grants you Su on the device by correcting permissions)
    6- exit (shell)
    7- adb reboot
    After this I simply used a terminal emulator from the market and typed su if it grants you permission your good install super user then busy-box from the market.
    A quick question can someone create a Lenovo IdeaPad Tablet K1 forum? I don't know if it needs a certain level of demand. I know have some questions that belong in the general section of the Lenovo IdeaPad Tablet K1 forum and not here Sorry I'm not trying to be sarcastic.

The Forum Request thread is closed for the time being since some refuse to follow the rules and are just plain acting like asses, but that would have been the place to request the forum. It will be back up as per the OP. Just keep an eye out for it.

TS

Unfortunately this is true, Forum request thread had been temporary closed. We have had a massive increase in devices being released. Having a forum for all of them would be a tall order.

The forum request thread was set up in good faith, to try to highlight the popular devices so forums could be opened. But as pointed out it quickly went down hill by people demanding things (put politely). I myself have been a target of some trolling on not opening sub-forums. Even though it is totally out of my hands (its down to the site admin) Its a growing issue here on XDA Developers. Hope fully the admin will come to a good solution to the issue.

If anybody notices before me that that thread has been re-opened, please let the good people of this forum aware of it. I am sure others will want to post there interest.

Sorry to the OP for taking this thread off topic, but i wanted to answer that as quickly as possible. I will add this to the read before posting thread to take all other questions. So please no more about this in this thread.

Regards your friendly Moderator:)