Free-Droid - One-Click Rom Installation Assistant

Search This thread

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com
@imska
Stuck forever at "Welcome Screen" on Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial fork) :(

This is odd... did you enter your sudo password in the terminal? Free-Droid needs to run adb and fastboot commands with sudo and will only proceed from the welcome screen to the main screen after the user enters his password in the terminal which opened Free-Droid.
If you did that, please send me the log file from the log folder. Thanks for reporting.

Anikscha

Jun 16, 2018

Maybe my mistake, cause I placed it in /usr/lib and executed "Free-Droid.run by an created icon in the cinnamon menue", which caused the hang at start screen, but also as terminal command (/usr/lib/Free-Droid/Free-Droid.run) it would not start!, but
it starts fine when placed in /home/software/Free-Droid/ and Free-Droid.run executed in terminal.
Cheers, an icon fan.

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com
Update 0.7.6

fix installation procedure failing at NanoDroid
better device codename recognition
lookups tables (for codename, etc.) are now taken from gitlab instead of my server
new alias lookup system (some devices have different codenames for twrp than for roms)
ability to automatically flash device-specific zips (like a kernel) before or after the rom
faster and more efficient scanning for roms
do not let an unexpected device name in twrp disturb the installation process (if your device is misidentified when you start the installation, you will install a rom made for the wrong device)
fix smaller bugs and typos

Next update will let the user help identify the device if it is unclear to free-droid and will improve compatibility with sony devices

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com

Thanks for the mirrors.
In the meantime, I moved the packages to the gitlab repo and pointed the download buttons on free-droid.com to gitlab. The downloads of the latest releases should now be as fast as gitlab.com is. After the next release/update, the following auto-updates from within Free-Droid should be automatically downloaded from gitlab, which should also be significantly faster.

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com
It took me a while, but the official website just got a nice update:
You can now check on the website before downloading if Free-Droid will work with your device! This should prevent a lot of disappointment after downloading 120mb, waiting for Free-Droid so prepare and struggling with drivers (windows only :rolleyes:) just to find out that the device is unknown or whatever.
After entering your device model on the Website, behind the curtain a check is done to find
  • the codename of your device
  • the brand of your device
  • available roms known to Free-Droid
  • available TWRP image known to Free-Droid
If the codename can be identified, the brand is supported by Free-Droid, a TWRP image and a rom are available, then you will be notified that your device is compatible. If one criterion is not met, you will be notified with a suggestion to help.
For now the website only shows compatible/not-(yet-)compatible, but I plan on having the website provide more precise feedback to the user and tell which criterion(s) are not met. This would make it easier for the user to know how to help .

This sounds great! I verified my tablet on the site (SM-T713) and downloaded, unzipped, launched with admin priv and have hit a bump. I get the welcome screen and Server Reachable: YES. Application Updating: Please Wait. After some minutes pops ”Please wait a few minutes...restart app.” Doesn’t complete and restart has no effect. I thought maybe the first l firewall, so white listed but no change. Win 7 Pro (up to date) Suggestions ?

Reactions: imska

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com
This sounds great! I verified my tablet on the site (SM-T713) and downloaded, unzipped, launched with admin priv and have hit a bump. I get the welcome screen and Server Reachable: YES. Application Updating: Please Wait. After some minutes pops ”Please wait a few minutes...restart app.” Doesn’t complete and restart has no effect. I thought maybe the first l firewall, so white listed but no change. Win 7 Pro (up to date) Suggestions ?

Thanks for reporting here.
I just redownloaded and checked on my side, but everything works fine for me. To my knowledge, it is not necessary to launch the exe with admin privileges. Does it work if you launch it with a normal double-click?

Is there otherwise anything insightful in the log file?

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com
Update to the free-droid.com website: You can now see if Free-Droid is missing a rom or a twrp image for your device. You can also see the codename of your device (or if the model name you entered is not recognized).
A few recognized devices will have available twrp and rom but will still figure as not compatible. In that case it is because Free-Droid does not know (yet) how to unlock and install twrp onto your device brand.

Tried Both - Same Result

Yes I tried with admin and without, same result. The second step is where it fails, checking for version update. Not sure what is happening here, since the software doesn't install (it runs without installing in Windows) it's verifying that I have the latest release version. So if the check determines I need an updated version might that be a difference in what you see and what I'm getting? In other words, am I having an issue because I need an updated version but something is interfering? I'll check the log and message back. Thank You!

Thanks for reporting here.
I just redownloaded and checked on my side, but everything works fine for me. To my knowledge, it is not necessary to launch the exe with admin privileges. Does it work if you launch it with a normal double-click?

Is there otherwise anything insightful in the log file?

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com
Yes I tried with admin and without, same result. The second step is where it fails, checking for version update. Not sure what is happening here, since the software doesn't install (it runs without installing in Windows) it's verifying that I have the latest release version. So if the check determines I need an updated version might that be a difference in what you see and what I'm getting? In other words, am I having an issue because I need an updated version but something is interfering? I'll check the log and message back. Thank You!

Yes it's a portable application, no installation/setup needed.
I did push an update 2 days ago, current version is now 0.7.8. You could download the latest version again just to make sure you don't need any update and try again. If it still doesn't launch correctly, I would suspect some firewall setting or similar to be the culprit.

Edit: Another problem I can think of is that Free-Droid calls a powershell command in windows to replace the jar files in the bin folder. Applying an update is nothing more than downloading the latest Free-Droid.jar file and replacing the running one inside the bin folder. You could try to 'manually' update by doing that yourself. But only if you aren't running the latest version already...

Last edited:

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com
If it says "rom available no", is that a non-starter? It's a galaxy s8.
Yes, it's a non-starter.
Still, you can try it out by finding a Rom for that device (look for it on XDA with the codename of your device) and in free-droid select your rom zip file. I can't guarantee that it's going to work, but if you find a rom and you try it out, I'd be happy to read the feedback. If all is fine and the rom proves stable, I can save it so other users with the same device can use it right away.

wibbleypants

Dec 9, 2019
Málaga
paulc.es
Yes, it's a non-starter.
Still, you can try it out by finding a Rom for that device (look for it on XDA with the codename of your device) and in free-droid select your rom zip file. I can't guarantee that it's going to work, but if you find a rom and you try it out, I'd be happy to read the feedback. If all is fine and the rom proves stable, I can save it so other users with the same device can use it right away.

Thanks. The project pixel rom looks interesting. So I just download your app, launch it and select the downloaded rom and great things will happen?

wibbleypants

Dec 9, 2019
Málaga
paulc.es
Thanks. The project pixel rom looks interesting. So I just download your app, launch it and select the downloaded rom and great things will happen?

That didn't work. Just keeps saying reboot your device. Done that half a dozen times. Perhaps I'll try the Windows version.

Tried the win version. Same result. Looking in the log, it says it's tried to run heimdall.exe in a directory that doesn't exist. It thinks I have the files in /users/user/Downloads/ whereas they are actually in /usuarios/user/descargas/.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

That didn't work. Just keeps saying reboot your device. Done that half a dozen times. Perhaps I'll try the Windows version.

Tried the win version. Same result. Looking in the log, it says it's tried to run heimdall.exe in a directory that doesn't exist. It thinks I have the files in /users/user/Downloads/ whereas they are actually in /usuarios/user/descargas/.

Moved it to the root of another drive:

"IOError: Cannot run program "bin/heimdall.exe" (in directory "F:\Free-Droid-WIN"): CreateProcess error=2, file not found"

Last edited:
Reactions: imska

imska

Aug 7, 2015
free-droid.com
The issue with running bin/heimdall.exe is already known, I'll try to tackle that in the following days.

But I assumed it was only a windows issue. Did you get this same issue on Linux/Mac?

Otherwise: at what point exactly are you prompted to reboot your device? Did you start the flashing procedure beforehand, is your device detected correctly? Can I see a log of the situation when that problem occurs?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    I am not responsible for any damage resulting from the use of the Free-Droid software.

Free-Droid is now Anarchy-Droid
    Free-Droid has been fully rewritten from scratch in go and is now published as Anarchy-Droid. This page is kept for reference only. Please follow the link and use the new version of this software.

Introduction
    Free-Droid is an application designed to help you install custom roms on your Android device. It is supposed to make the process of finding, downloading and installing a rom (with addons like Magisk, F-Droid and microG) as easy as possible. The primary audience is all the folks who do not really know anything about Android, TWRP or roms, but still would like to run a free, open-source and non-bloated Android on their devices. Using a free after-market rom like LineageOS should not be restricted to the few people with enough technical know-how to do the complex installation procedure all by themselves.
    Free-Droid is free and open-source and is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. As of now, it should be working fine with Samsung, OnePlus, NVidia, Sony and Motorola devices and with all other devices that already have TWRP installed.

Download
    Download from the official website.

Images
    screenshot-start.png

screenshot-settings.png

screenshot-expert.png

screenshot-help.png

screenshot-working.png

What it does
    • help you activate USB debugging
    • help you install drivers
    • help you unlock the bootloader
    • download and install TWRP
    • update TWRP if a newer version is available
    • download and install a rom
    • download and install F-Droid and MicroG
    • download and install Magisk (legacy method, off by default)

Features and explanations
    Please visit the Gitlab page of the project for more details!

Compatibility
    Free-Droid is supposed to work on as many devices as possible. Supported brands as of now are:
    • Samsung
    • Motorola
    • Oneplus
    • NVidia
    • Sony
    • Every device that already has TWRP installed: launch Free-Droid, boot your device into TWRP and connect it with USB to your computer
    For the support status of a specific device, you can enter its model name here to check the compatibility.
    The Free-Droid application itself will tell upon device connection if it is compatible. If it says that your device is not supported, you can be sure that it will not work. As of now, Free-Droid will display device untested for most devices, because I will only mark a device as supported if a few people tested it and confirmed it is actually working fine.

Changelog
    For a changelog please just have a look at the commits on gitlab.

Beta
    Although Free-Droid already runs very well, I was not able to test it on a lot of computers and with many different devices. Therefore, consider Free-Droid to be beta software for now.
    Besides, there are a few things that still need to be implemented. What is not working yet:
    • project treble roms
    • devices that need special treatment like storage repartitioning
    Finally, in order to lead Free-Droid out of the beta phase of development, a lot of testing needs to be done. This way, Free-Droid will know more reliably which devices can be expected to be workable without issues and which ones it should deny to work on.

Further development plans
    • add support for more brands that can be easily unlocked
    • handle project treble GSI roms
    • add a button to abort a running installation procedure
    • create packages for 32 bit computers
    • add MoKee rom
    • add /e/ rom
    • add possibility to install openGapps instead of microG ?
    • add possibility to select an additional zip to flash after the rom ?
    • fix crash on windows if changing folder on rom selection dialog
    • add a way to backup and restore using TWRP ?
    • add more documentation to the gitlab page ?
    A note about Magisk installation
    Installing magisk is getting more and more difficult. The installation method employed by Free-Droid is now discouraged and called a legacy installation method, because it can cause trouble and break the ability of the system to boot. For that reason, the installation of Magisk is turned off by default now in Free-Droid and a warning is issued to the user when turning it on.
    You can still try to install Magisk with Free-Droid during the normal installation procedure. But if your system does not boot afterwards, you will have to try again without Magisk. On some devices, you might need to know how to manually boot into recovery in order to retry the installation (device-specific hardware key combination).
    Free-Droid now also provides an easy way to try and install Magisk later on. The same ("legacy") installation method is used, but you can try the installation after the first boot of your newly installed system. I've seen a case where this would work while installing Magisk before the first boot would not work. This assumes that TWRP is connected or at least still installed.

I need you
    Please test Free-Droid on your computer and with your device.
    In case of issues: use the button in Free-Droid to pack a bug report and either send it with an email or create an issue on the gitlab issue tracker.
    If you have a device of a supported brand for which Free-Droid does not find a rom by itself, please leave me a message with a link to a working rom (and/or TWRP image). If you can confirm that the rom is stable and fully working, I will add it to the Free-Droid unofficial archive and it will become available in Free-Droid.
    If you know about a faulty official release of TWRP or a rom, please also leave me a message. Example: the latest few official releases of TWRP for i9305 (Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE) are faulty and fail when trying to install a rom with sideload. Free-Droid uses a specific version of TWRP in that case and can automatically handle cases like that in general. I just need to know which devices need a workaround.

Thanks To/Credits

XDA:DevDB Information
    Free-Droid, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    imska
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/free-droid/free-droid

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2019-07-01
    Last Updated 2021-04-09
    This is beatiful! I wasted probably 2 hours this morning to get a android 9 on my old s5 since i need it for a project, i'm not a complete newby, i rooted and changed rom many time in the last 8 years but i do it every once in a while, so i always have to check for tutorials again and there is alwasy some step that don't go as planned, as today the rom was not installing, was almost ready to give up to not lose more time, saw this, was almost sure this would gone wrong somewhere as all automated stuff while after a couple of clics and 5/10m my s5 was ready with android 9 on it. THIS IS JUST BEATIFUL and great, hope it gain the visibility it deserve!
    Really GREAT job!
    download for linux coming soon ?
    Download for Linux 404 Not Found
    https://free-droid.com/
    Downlad for Windows yes for Linux no

You're absolutely right, thanks for pointing that out!
    Fixed.