[WebApp] XDA TV v1.3

Search This thread

nathanpc

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2009
Brazil
about.me
XDA TV v1.3

Now you can have all the XDA TV videos wherever you go using this web application.

ijo7.png

After that tweet from azrienoch this sunday I've started to work on a webapp version of the XDA TV application. It uses WebKit, so in theory Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7, modern desktop browsers, Symbian will handle it correct, if it doesn't please report me the problems/bugs with screenshots(if needed) and a good description. :)

I've tried to get the app in the App Store, but Apple rejected it :(

The technologies used on this application:

html5-badge-h-connectivity-css3-device-graphics-multimedia-performance-semantics-storage.png

Running in my iPod:
ipod2.png
ipod1.png
ipod3.png

Running in my iPad:
ipad2.png

PS: If you're having problems with that page(which is a redirector that checks for the screen size to send you to the appropriated version, tablet or phone, you might use this other links for the tablet and the phone versions

Please fell free to donate and help me with the high server costs, which hosts the XDA TV videos for the XDA TV App streaming. Seriously, the server costs are getting pretty high:

Changelog:

v1.3:
* WebApp released!

Last edited:

redrum781

Jun 17, 2010
It's darn slow to load the page. Can't run videos.

Expecting updates :)

It would be nice to have an app for each of the mobile platforms...

This will be great! Right now it doesn't work so good with ie9 wp7 mango. I can't scroll on first page. When I press on one link I only see back button and upper left corner of the movie frame (it's zoomed in I think and I can't scroll). If I press video it starts playing so that is working.

Thanks for sharing, hopefully you can fix it :) Best of luck!

irendwer

Jun 16, 2010
Its not Microsofts fault.
Its yours.
The webapp only works in WebKit browsers.
It doesn't work very well in any other browser.
Not in Firefox, not in Opera, not in IE.
I have seen some errors in your CSS.
I haven't seen the JS yet.

nathanpc

Nov 20, 2009
Brazil
about.me
Its not Microsofts fault.
Its yours.
The webapp only works in WebKit browsers.
It doesn't work very well in any other browser.
Not in Firefox, not in Opera, not in IE.
I have seen some errors in your CSS.
I haven't seen the JS yet.

Ok, WebKit browsers are dominating the mobile market, Android and iOS use them, and latest version of Firefox works with my code, Chrome does too, IE historically has a lot of problems and incompatibilities.

For me what I think is that you never tried to develop web apps for multiple browsers and felt into the nightmare of IE!

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
I imagine it is much the same as windows mobile...they set some standards and then change their mind and break it all.

EmDzei

Dec 12, 2009
F1nland
Samsung Galaxy S (stock v2.3.3)and XDA TV Dark Edition

Installed it today and seems cannot close it anywhere. Back button doesn't do anything and neither Menu.

nathanpc

Nov 20, 2009
Brazil
about.me
What? You can't close a webapp?

EDIT: Ahh, you're talking about the XDA TV app, but at the wrong thread. I'm trying to work around that problem, but it seems to insist. At the time you need to kill the app using a task manager if it's wasting your battery that much.

irendwer

Jun 16, 2010
Ok, WebKit browsers are dominating the mobile market, Android and iOS use them, and latest version of Firefox works with my code, Chrome does too, IE historically has a lot of problems and incompatibilities.
Okay... so you are using a lot of Webkit specific things...
and you really are wondering why IE has problems?
This is too funny.... :D

For me what I think is that you never tried to develop web apps for multiple browsers and felt into the nightmare of IE!
I am a webdeveolper. I've made a lot of websites and applications.
So id do know how hard i can be to make things work in every browser. Thats whzy i do know that the problem is in your code! I had a look in the html-file and in the css and i have found a few errors.

Maybe something like this could help you: validator.w3.org

Last edited:

nathanpc

Nov 20, 2009
Brazil
about.me
It works everywhere except for IE. Those aren't errors, but incompatibility issues with the Microsoft fragmentation in IE.

Sent from my GT-P1000L using xda premium

irendwer

Jun 16, 2010
It works everywhere except for IE. Those aren't errors, but incompatibility issues with the Microsoft fragmentation in IE.
No. It does not. It isn't working in Opera Mobile on Android.
It doesn't work very well on a desktop firefox and on other desktop browsers.
It work ONLY in webkit browsers.

You can casll it what ever you want. IE (and other browsers) aren't doing anything wrong.
You are using stuff that works only in webkit. So it's not a incompatibility in IE or something.
It's a incompatibility in your webapp.
Use standard HTML, CSS and JS and it should work on IE!

Reactions: hecthork

nathanpc

Nov 20, 2009
Brazil
about.me
Sorry, I've been working hard and also trying to completely redesign the XDA TV app so I can't update the feed, but I'll try to do it today.

Sorry

Reactions: optiknerv

meltwater

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
Excellent.

Perhaps with a few mods we can generate a script directly from the Xda Podcast util.

I think I updated it a while back to generate a python script (to drive the youtube fetching script) from a Youtube user feed. The GUI isn't too obvious as I was quickly seeing if it would work or not, so might see if I can improve it.

Unfortunately I had problems getting python to run on my budget tablet I intended to use with it, so not done any more on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanpc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XDA TV v1.3

Now you can have all the XDA TV videos wherever you go using this web application.

ijo7.png

After that tweet from azrienoch this sunday I've started to work on a webapp version of the XDA TV application. It uses WebKit, so in theory Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7, modern desktop browsers, Symbian will handle it correct, if it doesn't please report me the problems/bugs with screenshots(if needed) and a good description. :)

I've tried to get the app in the App Store, but Apple rejected it :(

The technologies used on this application:

html5-badge-h-connectivity-css3-device-graphics-multimedia-performance-semantics-storage.png

Running in my iPod:
    ipod2.png
    ipod1.png
    ipod3.png

Running in my iPad:
    ipad2.png

PS: If you're having problems with that page(which is a redirector that checks for the screen size to send you to the appropriated version, tablet or phone, you might use this other links for the tablet and the phone versions

Please fell free to donate and help me with the high server costs, which hosts the XDA TV videos for the XDA TV App streaming. Seriously, the server costs are getting pretty high:

Changelog:

v1.3:
    * WebApp released!
    Amazing!
    Will write about it :)
    I'm working on that, the WP7 browser (IE9) has a lot of incompatibilities with WebKit(as usual from Microsoft...) :(
    No. It does not. It isn't working in Opera Mobile on Android.
    It doesn't work very well on a desktop firefox and on other desktop browsers.
    It work ONLY in webkit browsers.

You can casll it what ever you want. IE (and other browsers) aren't doing anything wrong.
    You are using stuff that works only in webkit. So it's not a incompatibility in IE or something.
    It's a incompatibility in your webapp.
    Use standard HTML, CSS and JS and it should work on IE!
    Sorry, I've been working hard and also trying to completely redesign the XDA TV app so I can't update the feed, but I'll try to do it today.

Sorry