My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

Search This thread

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
Thank you. Mine freezes as soon as I touch the box icon in Astro. Maybe time to RMA and see what happens?

Maybe... Not sure what to think.

I'm trying to imagine what could be wrong with the tablet itself that causes this. I suppose it could be that there is some kind of memory error in a location within the stored copy of the Box app, and that attempting to open Box triggers a read exception.

Just to test that out, I fired up ES File Explorer (free in Play store) and tried the same thing: I added Net (cloud) access from ESF to Google Drive, Dropbox and Box accounts. Just tried it as I'm typing this, and ESF is able to open Box with no error. Can you try this too? I'm assuming that ESF would have to invoke the same interface to Box that Astro is using. Should be a good test for you if you could try using ES File Explorer to get to your Box account. Might yield some more clues.

derrick603

Jan 10, 2013
What are the turn around times do you know? And you just say you returning just because of reboots?

From my experience in returning a Nexus 7, they will ship you a replacement tablet with 2-day shipping and give you plenty of time to return the old one, so no downtime except for the time needed to install apps and transfer data.

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
What are the turn around times do you know? And you just say you returning just because of reboots?

Reboots and my screen has less light bleed and a smudge.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Maybe... Not sure what to think.

I'm trying to imagine what could be wrong with the tablet itself that causes this. I suppose it could be that there is some kind of memory error in a location within the stored copy of the Box app, and that attempting to open Box triggers a read exception.

Just to test that out, I fired up ES File Explorer (free in Play store) and tried the same thing: I added Net (cloud) access from ESF to Google Drive, Dropbox and Box accounts. Just tried it as I'm typing this, and ESF is able to open Box with no error. Can you try this too? I'm assuming that ESF would have to invoke the same interface to Box that Astro is using. Should be a good test for you if you could try using ES File Explorer to get to your Box account. Might yield some more clues.

Yes, I had already done that. Didn't go through with the login but no freezes

Schubi89

Dec 1, 2012
productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/VFYnt7uN9d0/sObM7j5P6WoJ

Google supporter says you should try to disable single apps and look if it works better. If so, just don't use these apps. Or the whole tablet. Don't use it. No reboots for sure! Too bad it even reboots in the middle of the night when it's sleeping. Better turn it off then.

Also: the uptime doesn't get set back to zero if a reboot happens, at least for me. So you can't really say if you experience reboots if they happen in the night, except for the battery graph which shows a gap when a freeze/reboot happened.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatty

akhan47

Oct 21, 2012
Used to have this problem until I did a complete factory wipe about 6 weeks ago. My Nexus 10 has never rebooted since. It's been perfect.

gunslingerfry

Mar 25, 2008
productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/VFYnt7uN9d0/sObM7j5P6WoJ

Google supporter says you should try to disable single apps and look if it works better. If so, just don't use these apps. Or the whole tablet. Don't use it. No reboots for sure! Too bad it even reboots in the middle of the night when it's sleeping. Better turn it off then.

Also: the uptime doesn't get set back to zero if a reboot happens, at least for me. So you can't really say if you experience reboots if they happen in the night, except for the battery graph which shows a gap when a freeze/reboot happened.

I don't know if this has been said or not, but please please pipe up in the Google product forum above and make sure they understand this is still an ongoing issue. The Android community guy, Paul, says that that's the forum that Google will actually read. I'd be happy to see some Android experts get in there and tear Paul's posts apart for the bs they are.

Reactions: Schubi89

saltxyz

Jul 26, 2012
Lenovo P11
To determine bad block, I builded "badblocks" command and then ran it with write test option on TWRP. But no bad block found on system, cache and userdata partitions. :what:
There may be no bad block on flash memory but write error happens. It's strange. Kernel emmc driver bug?

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Thank you. Mine freezes as soon as I touch the box icon in Astro. Maybe time to RMA and see what happens?

So I reflashed 4.2.2 and let it restore apps. Astro didn't restore. I think I uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times to try to fix it. So I downloaded it and it worked like a champ. Crazy device...can't reflash every time I hit an app it doesn't like.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Glad I finally found this thread! Started in the normal-human-forums but SO happy to advance to the tech-guru-forums!

I am no dev, so no true program knowledge here - but I am an IT guy, so I am good at "troubleshooting". Here is what I did:
-I am on 4.2.2
-Using a 3 day test cycle, my goal was to see the unit on w/ no crash for 72 hours
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug
-Dont even sign in to Google, just let the tablet sit there
-Occasionally turn it on to check uptime

The uptime got to 69 hours before it crashed & rebooted! No Chrome use! No extra apps installed! Nothin! Anyways, I do see now that even if you dont connect a Google Account, both Play and Maps still run in the background and "perform activites". So who knows - maybe if I would have added 'disable all disableable services' I would have been able to get 72. (So close!)

I chimed in on that Google thread too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jp1138 and nyijedi

scottws

Feb 10, 2012
Mine has been running great since I reflashed. I got over 7 days of uptime before I rebooted to update the SuperSU binary. Bootlog Uptime shows that as a crash but it wasn't. Zero real crashes so far.

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Glad I finally found this thread! Started in the normal-human-forums but SO happy to advance to the tech-guru-forums!

I am no dev, so no true program knowledge here - but I am an IT guy, so I am good at "troubleshooting". Here is what I did:
-I am on 4.2.2
-Using a 3 day test cycle, my goal was to see the unit on w/ no crash for 72 hours
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug

The uptime got to 69 hours before it crashed & rebooted! No Chrome use! No extra apps installed! Nothin! Anyways, I do see now that even if you dont connect a Google Account, both Play and Maps still run in the background and "perform activites". So who knows - maybe if I would have added 'disable all disableable services' I would have been able to get 72. (So close!)

wow thats crazy. crashing with NOTHING
glad u took time out to do this though
would take me forever if i was trying to find a faulty app one by one

pfmiller

May 24, 2010

-I am on 4.2.2
-Factory wipe & reset
-Full charge, unplug

After having been on 4.2.2 for a while now, it does seem like the crashes are much less frequent, which is great. I've also noticed that they don't seem to happen for a couple of days right after a cold boot. It would not surprise me if a memory leak was responsible which causes problem after 3 or so days of uptime.

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Mine has been running great since I reflashed. I got over 7 days of uptime before I rebooted to update the SuperSU binary. Bootlog Uptime shows that as a crash but it wasn't. Zero real crashes so far.

All the threads I've looked at re: Nexus 10 errors are bleeding together in my mind, so forgive me that I cant cite the exact links where I saw this, but I've seen people say even after a Recovery generated factory wipe that actifacts are still left in the file system. Is that true? When I have been "factory resetting" I have not been transferring a .img file... I know that photos and stuff I take get wiped out via the method I've been doing.

Can anyone advise?

scottws

Feb 10, 2012
All the threads I've looked at re: Nexus 10 errors are bleeding together in my mind, so forgive me that I cant cite the exact links where I saw this, but I've seen people say even after a Recovery generated factory wipe that actifacts are still left in the file system. Is that true? When I have been "factory resetting" I have not been transferring a .img file... I know that photos and stuff I take get wiped out via the method I've been doing.

Can anyone advise?

I did a complete wipe and re flash of the 4.2.2 image using the Android SDK. Not just a factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
I did a complete wipe and re flash of the 4.2.2 image using the Android SDK. Not just a factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I will try that. Could you help me out and verify this is the best advised way?:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38091931&postcount=210

I currently am rooted w/ SuperSU and have TWRP installed. I belive 'flash-all' completly overwrites these?

I will try this method (after a recharge here) and then start my "install and do nothing" test again.

~bigmatty

Last edited:

irishrally

Jun 13, 2009
California
Ok, I will try that. Could you help me out and verify this is the best advised way?:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38091931&postcount=210

I currently am rooted w/ SuperSU and have TWRP installed. I belive 'flash-all' completly overwrites these?

I will try this method (after a recharge here) and then start my "install and do nothing" test again.

~bigmatty

Yep that should work. The flash-all commands are listed below. If you don't want to lose user data then skip the erase userdata step and remove the "-w" from the last command.

Code:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata 
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-manta-mantalj12.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot -w update image-mantaray-jdq39.zip

I usually just do:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot reboot bootloader
fastboot update factoryimage.zip (or "fastboot -w update factoryimage.zip" if you want to erase userdata too)

... but can't hurt to do the other erase commands.

Last edited:

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
Thank you irishrally!

---------------------------
update - success! a small change in my troubleshooting plan, this time i did sign in to my google account. the other aspects will remain the same - i am now going to not do anything other than power on the screen to check the Status -> Uptime to monitor for reboots. goal = 72 hours. so.... *ahem* my guess i'll be back in less than 3 days time... :|

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We tell our customers who are rooted and testing to use Catlog (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat

It works well, has filtering, and can periodically write logs to a file so you don't miss something. If you don't know when your device is going to have an "issue" that you want to log, it is probably best to be conservative and have Catlog save more often.

To make sure you catch every crash, we tell our customers to use Bootlog Uptime (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

It will alert you with a Notification each and every time the device is restarted without you telling it to. It is an invaluable tool to use alongside Catlog to figure out when and how often a device is rebooting.
    Update from "Paul from Google" on the Google thread:

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to post your experiences and share information with the community. We're continuing to investigate this issue, and we'd like to collect some additional bug reports from some of you still experiencing this.

To submit a bug report please follow this checklist:

•You have a Nexus 10 running Android 4.2.2.
    •You have not modified the software on your tablet by installing a custom ROM or manually flashing/upgrading to Android 4.2.2.
    •There's no need to have your device in safe mode.
    •IMPORTANT: Your bug report must be captured immediately after your device reboots. Any delay, even a few moments, may mean the reboot data could be missed by the bug report. I recommend setting up your device for capturing a bug report well in advance of a reboot -- instructions are in the link below.

For further info and instructions on submitting a bug report (including the set-up instructions) please see this page:

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=bugreport&src=7638530

Note that this page should only be used to submit reports about Nexus 10 spontaneous reboots running Android 4.2.2. Please also note that we will not be responding to individual reports, but will post updates in this forum thread.
    We cannot explain definitively why some people and devices show the soft-reboot issue and some don't, but we do have some theories:

• Heavy usage of Location Services and the apps that depend on this causes the issue to happen more readily
    • Poor or no GPS signal strength causes the issue to happen more often
    • Poor or flaky WiFi connectivity causes the issue to happen faster
    • Frequent use of Chrome makes the issue more likely to happen
    • Not having reboot/crash tracking logging means you won't catch every reboot

The last item on the list is why we load Catlog (for root only on JB devices) and Bootlog Uptime (no root required) on every device we test with immediately after getting it:

Catlog -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat
    Bootlog Uptime -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

Between these two apps, neither of which we make, we can find out fairly quickly if a device is stable, crashing or behaving in a bad way. Without these apps, however, it is just a guessing game, since no one can watch a device 24/7 or when the screen is off.

As a matter of personal opinion, and from more than a decade of building, managing and shipping products (hardware and software), I don't believe in luck as an acceptable reason for why one device behaves well while another device responds badly. It almost always comes down to how the device is configured and how the customer is using it that determines stability or not. I am by no means an expert, but when looking into problems I prefer looking at instrumented and logged data versus customer observations as the data tends to be more reliable.

It is great that you haven't experienced the soft-reboot issue on your Nexus 4, but lets not discount the hundreds of customers who have already reported this behavior on their N4's, as well as the N10's, GalNexus's and other devices since upgrading to 4.2.x. And to feedback on another post 'solution' above: we reflashed our Nexus 10 with CM 10.1 and, surprise-surprise, the soft-reboots are still there, at least with Chrome usage, as we would expect while running the same base kernel, same WiFi and GPS radio code, and same core Google libraries.

I apologize in advance if this post comes of as curt or condescending, as that is not my intention. Instead, I'm trying to pass along some of my methodologies and experience from working in the semiconductor and software worlds while asking that we all try to gather data that will help Google fix the issue.
    No need to return the tablet for software issues.... Updates will come quick. That's a Nexus!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
    Not sure if this will help any of you but I'll share my experience.

I never got any reboots on my Nexus 10 but I didn't have Chrome installed so I thought that might be why. One day I installed flash and went through a hand full of browsers to see which supported flash. To my surprise none did so I uninstalled the browsers and settled with AOSP browser and Ocean browser as they were the smoothest.

Soon I experienced my first reboot. I never thought much of it I just thought my luck ran out. I did wonder why AOSP browser didn't work with flash though. I was reading one day and found that the version of flash I had may not work with 4.2.1 so I uninstalled it and installed the one ending in.27. To my surprise AOSP browser started working with flash but so did Ocean. I then started to get mad freezes and reboots.

My Nexus would freeze for a couple seconds then reboot at any time I was using it. I did a couple factory resets and restores and the problem always came back. One day I started over and was selective about what I restored and when I didn't restore nor install flash - no more reboots. I'm now on CM 10.1 with 4.2.2 base and no reboots so far so for me flash was the culprit.

TL;DR - Uninstall flash, clear cache and Dalvik and see if you still have reboots or at least less reboots.