[Q] Xperia P battery not handling 3g connection well

Search This thread

Djgenes

Jul 11, 2013
Hello, guys.
I'm about to smash my phone on the ground. Please, help me.
The problem: it just can't handle 3g connection anymore. Whenever I'm using 3g, the battery drops from like 70% straight to 30 something. In a couple of minutes, just like that. Then it drops to zero, the "shutting down" message appears and right before it turns itself off I can see the battery dropping up from zero to, let's say, 50%. Then I turn on my phone again and the battery is around 40%. I should make clear that using the phone offline or even connected through wifi the battery performs normally. It's only when on 3g mobile data. This was happening with my stock rom and continues to happen with this custom rom I use right now.
What is going on?

xperia P Currently enjoying Honami MW HD V6 (really amazing). The current Kernel version is 3.0.8+ BuildUser @ buildhost) )#1 SMP PREEMPT. Needless to say - but saying it anyway - , it's a LT22i 4.1.2 JB device.

Thank you.

TheSoleBulge

Nov 19, 2013
Malmö
Hello, guys.
The problem: it just can't handle 3g connection anymore. Whenever I'm using 3g, the battery drops from like 70% straight to 30 something. In a couple of minutes, just like that. Then it drops to zero, the "shutting down" message appears and right before it turns itself off I can see the battery dropping up from zero to, let's say, 50%. Then I turn on my phone again and the battery is around 40%. I should make clear that using the phone offline or even connected through wifi the battery performs normally. It's only when on 3g mobile data. This was happening with my stock rom and continues to happen with this custom rom I use right now.
What is going on?

xperia P Currently enjoying Honami MW HD V6 (really amazing). The current Kernel version is 3.0.8+ BuildUser @ buildhost) )#1 SMP PREEMPT. Needless to say - but saying it anyway - , it's a LT22i 4.1.2 JB device.

Thank you.

Hi,
I experienced the same issue a while ago. Thought it was a bug or something so I did a fresh, clean reinstall of the ROM and got rid of the problem :) Try using the latest build from @Pandemic, it's really great!

Reactions: Djgenes

Djgenes

Jul 11, 2013
Hi,
I experienced the same issue a while ago. Thought it was a bug or something so I did a fresh, clean reinstall of the ROM and got rid of the problem :) Try using the latest build from @Pandemic, it's really great!

Hey, SoleBulge. I ended up reseting the phone back to the original rom/settings via SEUS. Is this somehow equivalent to a clean install? 'Cause if it is, the clean install you' ve suggested me maybe will not work. I'm facing the same 3g/massive battery drops issue. What do you think?

Hey, SoleBulge. I ended up reseting the phone back to the original rom/settings via SEUS. Is this somehow equivalent to a clean install? 'Cause if it is, the clean install you' ve suggested me maybe will not work. I'm facing the same 3g/massive battery drops issue. What do you think?
@Djgenes
If you already on JB 1.100 then root it and install cwm and follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom !!

Sent From Cybertron With My Powerfull Xperia P

Reactions: Djgenes

Djgenes

Jul 11, 2013
@Djgenes
If you already on JB 1.100 then root it and install cwm and follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom !!

Mr. Pandemic, I did what you told me to do. Unlocked the bootloader, rooted the phone, flashed the Nemesis 6.3 Kernel, Mounted system and data in cwm, Flashed Honami Moonwalker v8, did a Factory Reset, Wiped dalvik and cache, Rebooted, Let it settle like 10 minutes, Rebooted once again and voilá! I have a new phone thanks to you. Way faster and smoother than the previous one. Thanks again, sir, and if it reveals itself as stable as it seems, I will expre$$ my thank$ properly as you deserve.

Unfortunately, I am still facing the same problem mentioned before. My battery was at 70%, I turned on the 3g conection, googled some stuff, started to read an article while I was waiting at the supermarket line and it dropped from 70 directly to 56%. 1 minute later it dropped again to 43% and then to 29 (making the phone itself disable the 3g data traffic). I turned it on again and...you know the story: 29 to zero, android shutting down message and, before it all goes black, the battery status "drops up" again at the very last second to 40%. Then it finally shut down.
I don't think I can take it anymore.
=(

Mr. Pandemic, I did what you told me to do. Unlocked the bootloader, rooted the phone, flashed the Nemesis 6.3 Kernel, Mounted system and data in cwm, Flashed Honami Moonwalker v8, did a Factory Reset, Wiped dalvik and cache, Rebooted, Let it settle like 10 minutes, Rebooted once again and voilá! I have a new phone thanks to you. Way faster and smoother than the previous one. Thanks again, sir, and if it reveals itself as stable as it seems, I will expre$$ my thank$ properly as you deserve.

Unfortunately, I am still facing the same problem mentioned before. My battery was at 70%, I turned on the 3g conection, googled some stuff, started to read an article while I was waiting at the supermarket line and it dropped from 70 directly to 56%. 1 minute later it dropped again to 43% and then to 29 (making the phone itself disable the 3g data traffic). I turned it on again and...you know the story: 29 to zero, android shutting down message and, before it all goes black, the battery status "drops up" again at the very last second to 40%. Then it finally shut down.
I don't think I can take it anymore.
=(
@Djgenes
I never told to you to unlock your bootloader, my rom is also for locked bootloader !!
Well wipe battery stats and cwm recovery or calibrate your battery or change some governor like on hotplugx on noop ;)
Great you like my rom so far!

Btw there is a Q/A thread by @AndroidNoob69
So ask your questions there !!!

Djgenes

Jul 11, 2013
@Djgenes

@Djgenes
I never told to you to unlock your bootloader, my rom is also for locked bootloader !!
Well wipe battery stats and cwm recovery or calibrate your battery or change some governor like on hotplugx on noop ;)
Great you like my rom so far!

Btw there is a Q/A thread by @AndroidNoob69
So ask your questions there !!!

My @Pandemic, thank you for your answer and time, but I feel I must make somethings clear here. I know what a noob is and I'm pretty sure I am one, but I don't think the problem/questions I bring here are "noob level", and I say this because of a couple or more reasons.

First of, I've already put the same issue description at a Q/A noob friendly thread and not a single expert answered it.

Second, as you can see, I decided to make my problem/question a thread and still not a single expert figured it out. I did what @TheSoleBulge told me do ("a fresh, clean reinstall of the ROM ") and nothing changed. I did what you, the Pandemic, told me to do and still nothing changed. Btw, when you say "follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom" and in the 2nd post of your ROM I find both instructions for locked bootloader AND unlocked bootloader, as my bootloader is unlocked, I did, yes, something that you ALSO told people/me to do; I did not say you only told me to unlock the bootloader. Did not mean that. And I would bet a couple of dimes that some expert would say something like "hey, man. Unlock your bootloader, flash custom kernel and you'll be fine". No, I'm not fine.

Third, you tell me now to "wipe battery stats and cwm recovery or calibrate your battery or change some governor like on hotplugx on noop". What I already did was, after flashing/clean installing everything as you instructed, charge the phone completely, calibrate the battery by removing the batterystats.bin system file via "batterycalibration" app, let the phone fully discharge AND recharge without break. Did not mess with the governors yet, but before I try it I must ask you to please be kind enough to read my problem not as just some "battery drain" issue but as something more tricky and specific. Being offline my battery last forever. Connected through wifi it lasts just a little less. When on 3g, from fully charged to "shutting down device", it lasts 10 to 20 minutes, maximum. Do you think the *governors thing* (<--as I said, yes, I'm a noob) can solve this 3g/battery massive drops specific problem? Or you're just guessing? I searched here and outside and did not find similar situation. Found something about wakelocks and RILJ on other threads but I'm not sure if it's the right path to solve this or not. What do you think?
Thank you one more time.

TheSoleBulge

Nov 19, 2013
Malmö
My @Pandemic, thank you for your answer and time, but I feel I must make somethings clear here. I know what a noob is and I'm pretty sure I am one, but I don't think the problem/questions I bring here are "noob level", and I say this because of a couple or more reasons.

First of, I've already put the same issue description at a Q/A noob friendly thread and not a single expert answered it.

Q: Do you have this problem even without any apps installed?
Q: How is your carrier signal?

Second, as you can see, I decided to make my problem/question a thread and still not a single expert figured it out. I did what @TheSoleBulge told me do ("a fresh, clean reinstall of the ROM ") and nothing changed. I did what you, the Pandemic, told me to do and still nothing changed. Btw, when you say "follow the steps in the 2nd post of my rom" and in the 2nd post of your ROM I find both instructions for locked bootloader AND unlocked bootloader, as my bootloader is unlocked, I did, yes, something that you ALSO told people/me to do; I did not say you only told me to unlock the bootloader. Did not mean that. And I would bet a couple of dimes that some expert would say something like "hey, man. Unlock your bootloader, flash custom kernel and you'll be fine". No, I'm not fine.

Third, you tell me now to "wipe battery stats and cwm recovery or calibrate your battery or change some governor like on hotplugx on noop". What I already did was, after flashing/clean installing everything as you instructed, charge the phone completely, calibrate the battery by removing the batterystats.bin system file via "batterycalibration" app, let the phone fully discharge AND recharge without break. Did not mess with the governors yet, but before I try it I must ask you to please be kind enough to read my problem not as just some "battery drain" issue but as something more tricky and specific. Being offline my battery last forever. Connected through wifi it lasts just a little less. When on 3g, from fully charged to "shutting down device", it lasts 10 to 20 minutes, maximum. Do you think the *governors thing* (<--as I said, yes, I'm a noob) can solve this 3g/battery massive drops specific problem? Or you're just guessing? I searched here and outside and did not find similar situation. Found something about wakelocks and RILJ on other threads but I'm not sure if it's the right path to solve this or not. What do you think?
Thank you one more time.

@Djgenes
Here we go again, i dont call you a noob that are you words
well i check that thread of @AndroidNoob69 but i dont saw the post what you posting here now !
so you didn`t even check...
and yah no one asnwered it and like i said you dont post a reply there !!!!

ok well you did what he said "A clean installation"
that means you flashed the 1.100 JB for Xperia P and root it and installed cwm and flashed my rom ? I hope..

yes i dont tell you to unlock you bootloader, you did it by your own so please dont blaim it on me, YOU DID IT, simple.
yes i am kind to you but if you did all that with you battery then you battery is broken in my eyes, so you need a new battery or there is something wrong with your XP, you told you didn`t play with the governors yet, well it told to do that and not telling a whole story like this now...
about the wakelocks: No one knows it what causing it and i dont have that foolish wakelocks
i hope i helped you with this

p.s.
try to flash stock JB kernel and see if that works and i thought tis thread was about your 3g problem and not the battery !

Last edited:

Djgenes

Jul 11, 2013
Q: Do you have this problem even without any apps installed?
Q: How is your carrier signal?

@TheSoleBulge, I can't say about the problem without any apps. First thing I did after flashing my latest custom kernel/rom combo was reinstalling my apps, but I assure you that it was not via backup. I did it one by one, manually. My carrier signal here is from good to great.
One new thing I tried today that apparently suggests what could be the kind of misbehavior causing this 3g/battery problem was to turn off all background data. So far the battery is just draining faster than when it's on wifi. No crazy drops. Since I don't allow any auto-sync, maybe some app is messing up with the battery stats when I'm on 3g. And again about the whole thing: it's not just draining faster. It's causing crazy massive drops, from let's say 70 to 50 to 29 to zero and, before the shut down, from zero to 40 again. And all this in a couple of minutes! Then I turn on my phone right after that and it's showing 35% of battery, for example. This has been my smartphone life since it started. Restricting background data has preventing it from happening, but it is a drastic decision and still not clarify what is exactly going on. After all, a lot of people use background data without facing this particular issue of mine.
I also downloaded some related apps (BBS and WakeLock detector) and saved some prints here. I can't read the technical info, but maybe some one here could, so I'll try to post it as soon as I can.
Thank you for your time, Solge.

@Djgenes
Here we go again, i dont call you a noob that are you words
well i check that thread of @AndroidNoob69 but i dont saw the post what you posting here now !
so you didn`t even check...
and yah no one asnwered it and like i said you dont post a reply there !!!!

ok well you did what he said "A clean installation"
that means you flashed the 1.100 JB for Xperia P and root it and installed cwm and flashed my rom ? I hope..

yes i dont tell you to unlock you bootloader, you did it by your own so please dont blaim it on me, YOU DID IT, simple.
yes i am kind to you but if you did all that with you battery then you battery is broken in my eyes, so you need a new battery or there is something wrong with your XP, you told you didn`t play with the governors yet, well it told to do that and not telling a whole story like this now...
about the wakelocks: No one knows it what causing it and i dont have that foolish wakelocks
i hope i helped you with this

p.s.
try to flash stock JB kernel and see if that works and i thought tis thread was about your 3g problem and not the battery !

@Pandemic,

I didn't post on this @AndroidNoob69 thread. I've posted on the " [HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly." thread.

And again (quoting myself):

"I ended up reseting the phone back to the original rom/settings via SEUS. Is this somehow equivalent to a clean install? 'Cause if it is, the clean install you' ve suggested me maybe will not work. I'm facing the same 3g/massive battery drops issue."

So my timeline is as it goes:

1 - I was on stock ROM (since I bought the phone),

2 - one year later I rooted my phone (but kept the bootloader locked) and installed Honami MW HD V6 (keeping stock kernel),

3 - then last week I did a factory reset via SEUS (when it flashed the 1.100 JB),

4 - then rooted again, unlocked the bootloader and did the so called clean installation flashing Honami MW 8 (this time for unlocked bootloader, of course, cause I wanted to flash Nemesis kernel).

My "battery not handling 3g connection" problem starded right before number 2 (while on original/stock settings; I thought rooting, resetting and flashing whichever custom rom on my phone it would solve my problem).

And about the "you did/you didn't tell to unlock...": man, I think we are lost in translation here. Are you a native north-american? Cause I'm not, but I'm trying my best to communicate properly in English. Why are you defending yourself from charges and accusations with things like "you did it by your own so please dont blaime it on me, YOU DID IT". Chill out, dude! I'm just trying to make you comprehend that I followed your instructions. I did nothing wrong, so stop telling me to do it all over again. I can read. YOu give installation process for both locked and unlocked bootloader on the 2nd post of you ROM. I just said I did exactly what you told for, in my case (dã), unlocked bootloaders. Did you somehow think that I said that my battery/3g handling problem was because of your ROM and/or installation proccess? How could you? I did no say that. I have this problem regardless of your work, pal, which btw is an amazing one. My phone now is as fast as my friends S GS4 thanks to your rom and the whole thing is that this android issue is happening with a phone that happens to have your work inside, that's all. It was happening before with stock kernel/rom, it is still happening now after clean install, custom kernel/rom. If you came here thinking that I was pointing some Honami bug, you clearly got it all wrong.

Moving on. You think my battery is broken. I quote myself again:

"
Being offline my battery last forever. Connected through wifi it lasts just a little less. When on 3g, from fully charged to "shutting down device", it lasts 10 to 20 minutes, maximum.
"

I don't see how my battery can be broken if it performs normally with wifi. A broken battery would behave like this on any conditions, imo, but correct me if I'm wrong.

About flashing again the Stock JB Kernel without any new procedure...well, I think I'll pass it. I just did that right before flashing nemesis and Honami. How would it help solve the problem now?

Finally: this thread is not about a 3g problem nor a battery problem. From my noob perspective, It is about an Android specific problem happening within my phone making it not being able to legitimately "understand" the battery, causing it to drop dead over and over ONLY while on 3g connection. I am here to figure out what is causing it.

@Pandemic,

I didn't post on this @AndroidNoob69 thread. I've posted on the " [HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly." thread.

And again (quoting myself):

So my timeline is as it goes:

1 - I was on stock ROM (since I bought the phone),

2 - one year later I rooted my phone (but kept the bootloader locked) and installed Honami MW HD V6 (keeping stock kernel),

3 - then last week I did a factory reset via SEUS (when it flashed the 1.100 JB),

4 - then rooted again, unlocked the bootloader and did the so called clean installation flashing Honami MW 8 (this time for unlocked bootloader, of course, cause I wanted to flash Nemesis kernel).

My "battery not handling 3g connection" problem starded right before number 2 (while on original/stock settings; I thought rooting, resetting and flashing whichever custom rom on my phone it would solve my problem).

And about the "you did/you didn't tell to unlock...": man, I think we are lost in translation here. Are you a native north-american? Cause I'm not, but I'm trying my best to communicate properly in English. Why are you defending yourself from charges and accusations with things like "you did it by your own so please dont blaime it on me, YOU DID IT". Chill out, dude! I'm just trying to make you comprehend that I followed your instructions. I did nothing wrong, so stop telling me to do it all over again. I can read. YOu give installation process for both locked and unlocked bootloader on the 2nd post of you ROM. I just said I did exactly what you told for, in my case (dã), unlocked bootloaders. Did you somehow think that I said that my battery/3g handling problem was because of your ROM and/or installation proccess? How could you? I did no say that. I have this problem regardless of your work, pal, which btw is an amazing one. My phone now is as fast as my friends S GS4 thanks to your rom and the whole thing is that this android issue is happening with a phone that happens to have your work inside, that's all. It was happening before with stock kernel/rom, it is still happening now after clean install, custom kernel/rom. If you came here thinking that I was pointing some Honami bug, you clearly got it all wrong.

Moving on. You think my battery is broken. I quote myself again:

""

I don't see how my battery can be broken if it performs normally with wifi. A broken battery would behave like this on any conditions, imo, but correct me if I'm wrong.

About flashing again the Stock JB Kernel without any new procedure...well, I think I'll pass it. I just did that right before flashing nemesis and Honami. How would it help solve the problem now?

Finally: this thread is not about a 3g problem nor a battery problem. From my noob perspective, It is about an Android specific problem happening within my phone making it not being able to legitimately "understand" the battery, causing it to drop dead over and over ONLY while on 3g connection. I am here to figure out what is causing it.

@Djgenes
wow again a huge story and i make it shorter what is meant to me:
well i tell you one thing, i dont come in that thread
[HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly
so i dont know why you dont post your questions here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2615355
because that thread is for questions about my rom, so how will i know if you post questions here: [HELP THREAD] Ask ANY Question. Noob Friendly
if i never come there ?? LOL
i am glad you like my work but i dont know for sure what causing that struggle with your battery and if i dont know it then i dont know for sure,
i am relax mate, please do you also relax or take a pill,
about the 3g problem maybe is it your operators fault and not the rom because i and more users have no problems so far with 3g or battery because they play with governors to set it at the right one and thats good.
you should try that to and btw please dont restore apps from you back up maybe that can give problems to.
ok please dont get mad at me now or pointing or blaiming me for your problems, and like i said i dont know for sure what causing it so sorry, and i end the story telling now here, ok
i hope you can figure it out what the problems is because like i said this again, i and more people have no problems with my latest rom wit battery and 3G so its sure you operator or you XP itself !

p.s.
oh yeah about the JB stock kernel, just flash that and so if it helps, that is what i mean ;)
you can always flash back to Nemesis kernel !

Last edited:

Djgenes

Jul 11, 2013
Here I bring some prints.

And sad news: my battery is still crazy dropping down again, over and over, even with restricted background data on. Tried Droidwall. Nothing. And guess what: one of the times, when I got "oh my god, it's gonna shut down again" after dropping from 65% do 15%, I quickly turned off the 3g data before the battery hits zero, I left the phone inside my pocket and every ten or 12 minutes I checked the battery status and it was charging itself alone! No kidding. The battery slowly got back to - as far as I let it recharge - 29%. From 15 to 29. No electricity. Just my pocket.

To those who are reading from here: this problem happens ONLY while on 3G. Offline and through wifi my battery lasts normally.

What could it be, guys?
@TheSoleBulge? Anything?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-05-09-44-10.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-05-09-44-10.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2014-02-05-11-54-24.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-05-11-54-24.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2014-02-05-11-57-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-02-05-11-57-35.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 25
Here I bring some prints.

And sad news: my battery is still crazy dropping down again, over and over, even with restricted background data on. Tried Droidwall. Nothing. And guess what: one of the times, when I got "oh my god, it's gonna shut down again" after dropping from 65% do 15%, I quickly turned off the 3g data before the battery hits zero, I left the phone inside my pocket and every ten or 12 minutes I checked the battery status and it was charging itself alone! No kidding. The battery slowly got back to - as far as I let it recharge - 29%. From 15 to 29. No electricity. Just my pocket.

To those who are reading from here: this problem happens ONLY while on 3G. Offline and through wifi my battery lasts normally.

What could it be, guys?

@TheSoleBulge? Anything?
@Djgenes
You screen is all the time awake i see and you dont use stamina mode -_-
I advice to use that also and calibrate your battery again with the app from the playstore !!

pukar_kar

Oct 5, 2012
Sometimes Used to get RILJ n sia wakelock in MW8 but after freezing googlemaps n google services it didn't appeared ever for me...btw MW8 is best for me Thanks pandemic for all ur work..

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

Djgenes

Jul 11, 2013
@Djgenes
You screen is all the time awake i see and you dont use stamina mode -_-
I advice to use that also and calibrate your battery again with the app from the playstore !!

What do I have to do to stop receiving generic answers? My god!
Don't you see that my problem is not just "battery draining"? Don't you realize that those "tips" you bring here has nothing to do with my problem? Don't you comprehend that keeping screen awake and not using Stamina mode will ONLY decrease my battery life, NOT make it drop from 70 to ZERO% in 20 minutes? Especially if this drops occur ONLY while on 3g? Oh, btw, did you see that I wrote countless times that this problem happens exclusively when the phone is on 3g data network?
Why, for example, keeping the screen awake and not using Stamina mode won't affect my battery life using wifi? What kind of suggestions are giving me, @Pandemic?
And I can't even say how many times I recalibrated the battery stats. Countless times.

Please, do me a favor: if you don't have the time to try to understand this weird and especific misbehavior of my phone, don't come here with genericall "how to save battery life"* tips, ok?
Let's save at least our lives time.
Thank you.

Djgenes

Jul 11, 2013
Sometimes Used to get RILJ n sia wakelock in MW8 but after freezing googlemaps n google services it didn't appeared ever for me...btw MW8 is best for me Thanks pandemic for all ur work..

Thank you, man. I'll try it and let you know what happens.

Indeed, this ROM is a keeper.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello, guys.
    What is going on?

Thank you.

Hi,
    @Djgenes

@martinko23, I also see you have faced similar problem. Did you solve yours? If yes - and I hope so - , how?
    I don't think mine is a hardware problem as I don't experience it while offline nor while via wifi.

My 3g problem was because of my mobile provider... They had issues with their stuff, I don't remember exactly..
    I had another problem on my gf's xperia P, the phone and has battery drops (from 100 to 50% just by turning on 3g or wifi), and then shut down, I installed a module on xposed, which prevent the phone from shutting down. (disableCriticalBattery something like that)

Envoyé de mon C6833 en utilisant Tapatalk