Repair HTC M8

Search This thread

ricm68

Feb 11, 2008
Miami
Can anyone tell me where to get my At One M8 repairs?
I can't take it to AT&T since they will say it's been tampered. I would appreciate any advice because I couldn't get any ROM into it. Only cyanogen would work but no WiFi.

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Can anyone tell me where to get my At One M8 repairs?
I can't take it to AT&T since they will say it's been tampered. I would appreciate any advice because I couldn't get any ROM into it. Only cyanogen would work but no WiFi.
Not enough information. What about it is "broken" requiring repair? In what way is it "tampered"?

Oh, and HTC will most likely refuse to repair it directly, telling you that if you bought it from AT&T, that AT&T needs to act as the agent for repair. You can always try to head over to HTC's website (I'm sure you can find it), find the support section, and make a support inquiry from them directly.

ricm68

Feb 11, 2008
Miami
Not enough information. What about it is "broken" requiring repair? In what way is it "tampered"?

Oh, and HTC will most likely refuse to repair it directly, telling you that if you bought it from AT&T, that AT&T needs to act as the agent for repair. You can always try to head over to HTC's website (I'm sure you can find it), find the support section, and make a support inquiry from them directly.

Well I don't know how but I erased the internal memory completely and now it won't take any roms. No matter what I try in recovery it always fails. The only thing I can install is cyanogenmod. There is no wifi also.
i'll try to go to at&t or htc. I hope they don;t charge me too much to repair.
Thanks.

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I don't know how but I erased the internal memory completely and now it won't take any roms. No matter what I try in recovery it always fails. The only thing I can install is cyanogenmod. There is no wifi also.
Thanks.
Did you flash the google play edition ruu? If so, the phone was repartitioned, and sense will no longer "fit" on the system partition. There's a way to deal with that if that's the case...

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm.. Not sure what to suggest in that case. I'm not very familiar with the whole RUU thing myself...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Download the ota update. Extract the firmware.zip from it but don't extract firmware.zip. boot to fastboot.
Fastboot oem rebootRUU
Fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
Do it again
Fastboot reboot-bootloader
Fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Fastboot erase cache
Load recovery
Wipe, advanced wipe
Select dalvik, cache, data, system, internal. Wipe.
Put Rom on ext sd card or
Adb push Rom.zip /sdcard/
Install zip this will obviously erase everything on your phone.
Click thanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: mewikime

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks.

You don't need to repair. You just need to troubleshoot. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water, if you go for a hardware repair for what is likely a software issue that is easy to resolve.

You also need to provide more details, and be specific as possible. Namely:

What recovery and version number?
S-on or off?
What exactly have you tried to flash?
Did you factory reset in bootloader?
Do you have working adb?
What happened when you ran the RUU?

Last edited:
Reactions: ricm68

ricm68

Feb 11, 2008
Miami
Hi redpoint73, I have twrp 2.7.1.0, unlocked, s-off.And I have adb.
I tried to ruu, then install a recovery, a stock rom and don't know how many things more and can't bring it back. They told me I should install cwm and try from there but don't know how. Please advice me on what to do and if you can, guide me step by step.
Thanks so much for your help.

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
I tried to ruu, then install a recovery, a stock rom and don't know how many things more and can't bring it back. They told me I should install cwm and try from there but don't know how. Please advice me on what to do and if you can, guide me step by step.
Thanks so much for your help.

http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/general/vomerguides-m8-bootldr-unlock-s-off-t2800727

You wont need the whole thing but some of it might pertain to you

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I tried to ruu, then install a recovery, a stock rom and don't know how many things more and can't bring it back.

I've already asked what happened when you ran the RUU, and you didn't answer. Any error messages, etc.? This is very critical information, so its hard to help when you don't provide the answers requested (especially this one).

RUU is meant to recover the device in most cases. So if it didn't work, its very posible you have a fundamental USB connectivity issue. What response do you get when you type the adb command:

adb devices

What happens when you try to install recovery or a stock ROM? You need to give more information and specifics if you really want help.

And "don't know how many things" is not meaningful information. You need to list all the things you tried, and the results. Again, the lack of specific info makes it hard to help. I literally typed more asking you questions, than you bothered typing the answers. This does not bode well if you really want help.

You did not even answer all the questions I asked:
- What exactly have you tried to flash? (list the ROMs)
- Did you factory reset in bootloader?

They told me I should install cwm and try from there but don't know how. Please advice me on what to do and if you can, guide me step by step.

Who is "they"? Again, you are being too vague.

I am personally more familiar with TWRP, so I would advise staying with that if you want help from me. Nothing against CWM. But again, its just what I'm more familiar with.

Last edited:

ricm68

Feb 11, 2008
Miami
I've already asked what happened when you ran the RUU, and you didn't answer. Any error messages, etc.? This is very critical information, so its hard to help when you don't provide the answers requested (especially this one).

RUU is meant to recover the device in most cases. So if it didn't work, its very posible you have a fundamental USB connectivity issue. What response do you get when you type the adb command:

adb devices

What happens when you try to install recovery or a stock ROM? You need to give more information and specifics if you really want help.

And "don't know how many things" is not meaningful information. You need to list all the things you tried, and the results. Again, the lack of specific info makes it hard to help. I literally typed more asking you questions, than you bothered typing the answers. This does not bode well if you really want help.

You did not even answer all the questions I asked:
- What exactly have you tried to flash? (list the ROMs)
- Did you factory reset in bootloader?

Who is "they"? Again, you are being too vague.

I am personally more familiar with TWRP, so I would advise staying with that if you want help from me. Nothing against CWM. But again, its just what I'm more familiar with.

I Hi, thanks a lot. I did the factory reset from bootloader and tried to install Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_5.0 and after doing the process it returns failed. Also One_M8_1.54.401.10_odexed and Jmz_M8_StockRootedOdex-ATT and I just tried with cyanogenmod 11. While I installed this in twrp recovery it said failed but when I reboo0ted in stared loading. I installed gapps and now my phone is working at least. But I still can't flash a snse rom or a gpe rom because it fails in twrp.
That's about all I can tell you. Oh, and I see it's in android 4.4.4.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I Hi, thanks a lot. I did the factory reset from bootloader and tried to install Android_Revolution_HD-One_M8_5.0 and after doing the process it returns failed. Also One_M8_1.54.401.10_odexed and Jmz_M8_StockRootedOdex-ATT and I just tried with cyanogenmod 11. While I installed this in twrp recovery it said failed but when I reboo0ted in stared loading. I installed gapps and now my phone is working at least. But I still can't flash a snse rom or a gpe rom because it fails in twrp.

I don't understand how its so difficult for you to answer the basic questions I've asked multiple times now What happens when you run the RUU?

The RUU should restore the phone to full functionality, albeit with stock recovery, no root, etc. (if that is what you want).

Of course, this is not ideal if you want to install custom ROMs (which I assume is the case).

What I would try is to re-install TWRP. I'm not aware of any bugs in the newest version (which it appears you have) that would prevent flashing all the ROMs you mentioned. So maybe its just an improper install:

Re-download the latest TWRP img file. Place file in your fastboot folder. Open command prompt (navigate to the fastboot folder) and type:

fastboot erase cache

fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"

(where "filename.img" is the actual file name of the TWRP img file, with no quotes)

From there, load a ROM to your device, boot into TWRP and try flashing the ROM.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Also, it is becoming apparent to me that doing a factory reset in bootloader corrupts the internal memory. My advice is to never do this (factory reset within the OS settings or in recovery if you need to).

But if the internal memory was corrupt, you shouldn't be able to load any files onto the phone (including ROMs). It seems that your internal memory is ok (you can transfer files to the phone, access them, etc)?

Last edited:
Reactions: ricm68

ricm68

Feb 11, 2008
Miami
I don't understand how its so difficult for you to answer the basic questions I've asked multiple times now What happens when you run the RUU?

The RUU should restore the phone to full functionality, albeit with stock recovery, no root, etc. (if that is what you want).

Of course, this is not ideal if you want to install custom ROMs (which I assume is the case).

What I would try is to re-install TWRP. I'm not aware of any bugs in the newest version (which it appears you have) that would prevent flashing all the ROMs you mentioned. So maybe its just an improper install:

Re-download the latest TWRP img file. Place file in your fastboot folder. Open command prompt (navigate to the fastboot folder) and type:

fastboot erase cache

(where "filename.img" is the actual file name of the TWRP img file, with no quotes)

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Also, it is becoming apparent to me that doing a factory reset in bootloader corrupts the internal memory. My advice is to never do this (factory reset within the OS settings or in recovery if you need to).

But if the internal memory was corrupt, you shouldn't be able to load any files onto the phone (including ROMs). It seems that your internal memory is ok (you can transfer files to the phone, access them, etc)?

The phone was working ok but suddenly wifi wouldn't turn on and mobile network stopped again!!!
I tried to intall android revolution but when it gets to installing the apps is says "set_perm: some changes failed". I click next and reboot and it just takes me back to recovery :(

ricm68

Feb 11, 2008
Miami

fastboot erase cache

I did the factory reset from within cyanogenmod and it didn't wipe it. It restarted back to cyanogenmod. I copied andoid revolution to my internal memory and try to install from there.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
The phone was working ok but suddenly wifi wouldn't turn on and mobile network stopped again!!!
I tried to intall android revolution but when it gets to installing the apps is says "set_perm: some changes failed". I click next and reboot and it just takes me back to recovery :(

You need to try the things I've suggested. I've made some definitive recommendations, and you seem to have ignored them. Honestly, I don't see a point in trying to help anymore, if you don't read what I'm taking the time to post; or you don't try what I've suggested.

Worst case is RUU and start over (install custom recovery again, etc.). But again, I have no idea what happened when you tried to RUU since you still haven't answered that.

You aren't going to make any progress, if you keep ignoring the advice that is given to you.

ricm68

Feb 11, 2008
Miami
I'm doing what you told me!!!
I reinstalled twrp and tried but it failed again. Believe me, I've been doing what you suggested.
Can you please give me the steps to RUU and what ruu file to download and use. I really appreciate all you're doing for me and the time you are taking to help.

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ricm68

Feb 11, 2008
Miami
I was able to install cyanogen mod again and I am using the phone but I want to install sense again.

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download the ota update. Extract the firmware.zip from it but don't extract firmware.zip. boot to fastboot.
    Fastboot oem rebootRUU
    Do it again
    Fastboot reboot-bootloader
    Fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    Fastboot erase cache
    Load recovery
    Wipe, advanced wipe
    Select dalvik, cache, data, system, internal. Wipe.
    Put Rom on ext sd card or
    Adb push Rom.zip /sdcard/
    Install zip this will obviously erase everything on your phone.
    Click thanks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Thanks.

You don't need to repair. You just need to troubleshoot. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water, if you go for a hardware repair for what is likely a software issue that is easy to resolve.

You also need to provide more details, and be specific as possible. Namely:

What recovery and version number?
    S-on or off?
    What exactly have you tried to flash?
    Did you factory reset in bootloader?
    Do you have working adb?
    What happened when you ran the RUU?

fastboot erase cache