Leakers about the OTA

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
If you are a leaker, please follow this tutorial when updating to the OTA. Get us the url to the OTA zip please.

Code:
If you are interested in looking at the process that HTC/Verizon uses for the OTA updates, you can get the URL for the OTA zip the following way:

Run logcat on the pc and accept the update on the phone

$ adb logcat > logcat_accept.txt

This will sit like this (it continues to log output into the output file) until the phone reboots. At that point, the adb logcat job will terminate, and the name of the zip file will be indicated in the logfile in a message similar to:

W/SystemUpdateHelper( 64): !!! REBOOTING TO INSTALL /cache/desirec-ota-104882.7b1e5cca.zip !!!

Then, take the name of the file and paste it on the end of android.clients.google.com/updates/partner, for instance, for the Eris 1.17.605.1 OTA, the complete url is:

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/partner/desirec-ota-104882.7b1e5cca.zip

bftb0

8on3s

Mar 20, 2010
Port Orchard
Im assuming either Linux or MS Command prompt?

Thats where you would enter the code correct?
Point the code to the device, then begin the update as usual?

EX:
$ cd /path/to/phone/
$ adb logcat > logcat-accept.txt

Or am I off here...

I have no update as of yet, but would love to help.

M

McZimi

?

It just says

adb: permission denied

is this for leak or root?

WalkingTaco

Feb 25, 2010
Did you go to your sdk tools dir first? This should be for ANYONE who receives the OTA update.

Yeah heres what i did on CMD

cd c:\AndroidSDK\tools\

adb shell

adb logcat > logcat_accept.txt

it may be different for me but my tools dir is at c:\Windows\androidsdk\android-sdk-windows\tools
don't know if its different for you though like I said
Sent from my Eris using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

M

McZimi

it may be different for me but my tools dir is at c:\Windows\androidsdk\android-sdk-windows\tools
don't know if its different for you though like I said
Sent from my Eris using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

yeah mine is different. When i put the folder in my harddrive i played around with some of the names and what not.

as far as getting URL goes, i think a rooted user might be able to get it no problem.

turboguy

Feb 23, 2010
Yeah heres what i did on CMD

cd c:\AndroidSDK\tools\
adb shell

If you type adb shell, it will emulate a shell on the phone. Skip that step. Just type
Code:
and it should start dumping to a file called logcat_accept.txt.

jdog94

Mar 3, 2010
somebody needs to post a step by step how to with complete details so some of us rookies can do this
with what tools and where to get the tools

M

McZimi

If you type adb shell, it will emulate a shell on the phone. Skip that step. Just type
Code:
and it should start dumping to a file called logcat_accept.txt.

Thanks for the help. This worked and now im just waiting for it to stop. its been quite a few minutes

8on3s

Mar 20, 2010
Port Orchard
LOL too true, OK
Google "android sdk" you should be asked to agree to the licence, then on to dl the installer needed.

And once installed go to the tools folder in your android-sdk folder open a command prompt in the folder. I know Linux enough, Can't remember how to so that in windows sorry.

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

8on3s

Mar 20, 2010
Port Orchard
LOL walkingtaco, you beat me there with an even simpler reply.

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

Jaylen

Feb 25, 2010
yeah mine is different. When i put the folder in my harddrive i played around with some of the names and what not.

as far as getting URL goes, i think a rooted user might be able to get it no problem.

I may be way off here but most rooted users won't be able to/won't want to get the update as either a.) The SystemUpdate.apk has been removed from most root roms or b.) they wont want to accept the update as it will remove their root. This should be for leak users only. I think you will need to have gotten the update, run the logcat and then accept the update and capture the update process. Then the devs can use the url to also obtain the update and test it for exploits/vulnerabilities.

nemish13

Mar 4, 2010
If you are a leaker, please follow this tutorial when updating to the OTA. Get us the url to the OTA zip please.

Code:
If you are interested in looking at the process that HTC/Verizon uses for the OTA updates, you can get the URL for the OTA zip the following way:

Run logcat on the pc and accept the update on the phone

$ adb logcat > logcat_accept.txt

This will sit like this (it continues to log output into the output file) until the phone reboots. At that point, the adb logcat job will terminate, and the name of the zip file will be indicated in the logfile in a message similar to:

W/SystemUpdateHelper( 64): !!! REBOOTING TO INSTALL /cache/desirec-ota-104882.7b1e5cca.zip !!!

Then, take the name of the file and paste it on the end of android.clients.google.com/updates/partner, for instance, for the Eris 1.17.605.1 OTA, the complete url is:

https://android.clients.google.com/updates/partner/desirec-ota-104882.7b1e5cca.zip

bftb0

No dice for leak v3 users

I/CheckinService( 85): Sending checkin request (1433 bytes)...
I/CheckinService( 85): From server: Intent { act=android.server.checkin.FOTA_CANCEL }
D/htcCheckinService( 85): Receive cancel Intent, but not by htc
I/CheckinService( 85): Checkin success
W/GoogleHttpClient( 85): Blocked by block_crash_reports: http://android.clients.google.com/crash
I/CheckinService( 85): Crash report blocked

Someone who has 1.5 or 2.1v1 or 2.1v2 please try... now i wish i didn't update to leak 3 last week

thenestor

Mar 4, 2010
Google Pixel 5
No dice for leak v3 users

I/CheckinService( 85): Sending checkin request (1433 bytes)...
I/CheckinService( 85): From server: Intent { act=android.server.checkin.FOTA_CANCEL }
D/htcCheckinService( 85): Receive cancel Intent, but not by htc
I/CheckinService( 85): Checkin success
W/GoogleHttpClient( 85): Blocked by block_crash_reports: http://android.clients.google.com/crash
I/CheckinService( 85): Crash report blocked

Someone who has 1.5 or 2.1v1 or 2.1v2 please try... now i wish i didn't update to leak 3 last week

You can try downgrading to 2.1v2 (they have the same bootloader, so it might work), but I doubt it's worth it.

M

McZimi

hmm

well hopefully the v3 people still receive an update. if not, someone needs to hurry up with a link