Z1 Power Button issue

Search This thread

stratplayer

Nov 4, 2009
Bristol
blog.stratplayer.org
Update

I will tell you this next week.

Great news I have my phone back from SBE Ltd, Ashford, Kent....

BAD NEWS... they have done sweet FA with the power button!! I am so angry! I called them to discuss the issue and they had all the details from Sony passed to them so there was no excuse. There is no way they could have checked it against a working unit, so I have just wasted 10 days.

Worse still I had to contact Sony again to get a new repair number to send it back to them, its a blooming joke! Sony has lost any future custom from me on the handset market!

So now tomorrow the phone will be returned for SBE Ltd (who are Sony Xperia's UK repair centre) to do what should have been done the first time, yet again I am without my "flagship" device!!

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Great news I have my phone back from SBE Ltd, Ashford, Kent....

BAD NEWS... they have done sweet FA with the power button!! I am so angry! I called them to discuss the issue and they had all the details from Sony passed to them so there was no excuse. There is no way they could have checked it against a working unit, so I have just wasted 10 days.

Worse still I had to contact Sony again to get a new repair number to send it back to them, its a blooming joke! Sony has lost any future custom from me on the handset market!

So now tomorrow the phone will be returned for SBE Ltd (who are Sony Xperia's UK repair centre) to do what should have been done the first time, yet again I am without my "flagship" device!!

I can't believe an authorized Sony Center to repair faulty devices do such a kind of job. The shop where I brought mine said the same thing, they will give me all the papers from Sony Center of what was done on my device so I can't complain but if I will get a kind of adventure like yours I really will be angry very much. My phone will be back in few days, I will let you know what they did. I remember well my phone was like new, if I find scratches or the issue still there, i don't know! They screw all of us.

stratplayer

Nov 4, 2009
Bristol
blog.stratplayer.org
I can't believe an authorized Sony Center to repair faulty devices do such a kind of job. The shop where I brought mine said the same thing, they will give me all the papers from Sony Center of what was done on my device so I can't complain but if I will get a kind of adventure like yours I really will be angry very much. My phone will be back in few days, I will let you know what they did. I remember well my phone was like new, if I find scratches or the issue still there, i don't know! They screw all of us.

It doesnt give you much faith that they will return me the phone with its original waterproof feature intact when they cant even see the problem/fix the problem of a simple power button.

The lady at Sony Xperia insisted they are fully trained in the waterproof capabilities, and that my remaining 2 years warranty would cover it.

It's the loss of the phone that annoys me the most, especially for no reason. I have gone out and bought a Galaxy Note 3 as I couldnt bear to be without a phone, it's going to be my new full time phone, the Sony (if/when) it is eventually repaired will be sold on Ebay!

For posterity I have attached a picture of an all too familiar pose of my Sony Xperia Z1, in a brown jiffy bag labelled for SBE Ltd.....

samjn

Mar 7, 2014
Z1 power button issue

I started this thread, it is definitely a problem and you should get it repaired. Mine was sent back and now has been repaired, not very impressive for a "premium" handset!

It was only away for just over a week.

I'm from Indonesia and my Z1 is also having the same problem. I bought it on November 2013. The power button is getting stained (not as shiny as before) and doesnt give a definite feel whether it is pressed or not. It is very annoying. I havent sent the phone to the official Sony here and in the meantime I'm using an app called "Awesome on/off" to stop making it worse.

Should I claim my warranty to official Sony here? Seems some people are having the same everlasting problem here. Kindly advise.

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
I had a Xperia ZL and the power button fell completely off the device. Sony claimed misuse with no repair warranty. In my opinion, the power button is a marketing gimmick with inferior quality to power buttons on any of the other top cell phone manufacturers.

Sent from my C6906 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

omegahanggara

Jan 28, 2013
Jakarta
double-dragon.blogspot.com
I'm from Indonesia and my Z1 is also having the same problem. I bought it on November 2013. The power button is getting stained (not as shiny as before) and doesnt give a definite feel whether it is pressed or not. It is very annoying. I havent sent the phone to the official Sony here and in the meantime I'm using an app called "Awesome on/off" to stop making it worse.

Should I claim my warranty to official Sony here? Seems some people are having the same everlasting problem here. Kindly advise.

Hey there. I'm from Indonesia too. Last new I read about Sony Indonesia is, they will take care your guarantee at any cost, especially for Xperia S800 like Z, Z1, Z Ultra, etc. I think you should go to Sony service center nearby to claim your guarantee. Make sure you not tell anything about something which break the guarantee, like unlocking bootloader, rooting, etc.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone else had the same issue?

I saw a problem like that with a device of my friend and he felt exactly in the same way, it's a faulty botton, have to be replaced.

I am a little concerned that once it is prised open to be repaired it will never be the same again! All in all, for the £550 I paid for a premium handset, it is the first one that I have had any hardware issues with.

I can truly understand you. Same here. I always get a mid range phones and never had problems. This one I paid a lot of money, issues everywhere. I sent mine back to Sony as well, but for different reason.
    at first i have rooted my phone so the warranty is already gone..and Because I live in Iran and there is no experienced or official Sony branches to do the stuff i have to pay a lot of money to ordinary people who have the tools for doing it and praying really hard to have my z1 remained water resistance..and another problem is that this button is very well designed and has a good material which it doesnt get gray or orange after a while.for sure the replacement doesnt have the same great quality and thats a failure :|

Ok, but if the button still working I think is not worth to open it and risk much more, BTW is not the button problem but the hardware component under the button.
    I've seen a video on YouTube about the z

As far as the Z is concerned there are about 4 screws and the rest is glued. Front- and backside.

Now, you can guess if the phone is still waterproof after putting it back together.

Even with skilled techs and the appropriate equipment I highly doubt it.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPN930fohyo&feature=youtu.be

It's a German video but I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Best thing you could do is to ask the repair center for a guarantee on wich you can depend on (written of course)

Gesendet von meinem C6903 mit Tapatalk
    Using my Z1 for nearly a month now and the device power button was slightly a bit wearing off but that wasn't my concern. I'm just worried bout the waterproof capability. If the Z was glue front and back, How long can it last with all those nature element?

It can be forever if you use the device properly and you you keep in mind to don't use the flaps a lot and keep them clean. Flaps like that can do great job for 2 years without problem but time and natural degradation is on they way, so if you will replace the flaps after this time is fine to me. But if you keep leaving the phone in you car on dashdoard under the sun all the time clearly this can compromise the assembly and the sealing of the phone. So practically depend of how you use your phone.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I'm from India and have the same problem with the button. I bought Z1 around October last year. The button started getting worse gradually from the beginning of January, and now there's absolutely no feedback on pressing. It almost feels as if there's a spring under the button.

If anyone has given the phone for repairs to Sony for this issue, please reply. I'm also worried about the waterproofing and other possible damage to the device, specially given the fact that it's got a non-removable back so opening up the device might be a mess.

Yes , opening the phone for a button will be a mess and maybe is not covered by warranty so if the button working well I will not be worry about it. The day when it will not work then you will get the new button.