[XPOSED] Samsung Kitkat SystemServer Crash Fix (for random reboots)

Search This thread

thomashofmann

Jan 22, 2011
*A big thanks to all the people that have donated so far*

This module fixes the random reboots (which are actually System Server crashes) on newer Samsung S4 Kitkat Firmwares like I9505XXUGNF1.

After updating my SGS 4 to I9505XXUGNF1 I like many experienced random crashes which at first glance seem to be reboots of the device. Looking at the logcat I figured out that actually the system server process crashes due to an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException. After reading the source code I figured what the problem is and wrote this small module to workaround the crash. My S4 is running without a single crash since.

The module can be found in the XPosed Module Repository.

Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Are the American firmwares (I have the T-Mo M919 with NB4 fw personally) subject to the same bug?
I would like to know this also. Looking at my logs I see a lot of errors with that and do get reboots often. Though its normally when coming out of sleep (especially when I have updates in Google Play). Guess I can try and update after a few days...

dmc2359

Aug 8, 2013
I'm on an att s4 using Safestrap to run SHOstock rom on NB8 fw and this has seemed to cure all my random reboots...haven't had one yet since I installed this!!! Thanks

Reactions: Tanis64

thomashofmann

Jan 22, 2011
It should do no harm to any Kitkat Rom. It will only have an effect in case of a false parameter value being passed to a certain method. See my blog for technical details. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to post links here in the forum but if you search google for the name of the module you will find it.

bernie79

Sep 5, 2006
Galaxy S4 with I9505XXUGNF1

This new firmware has been a pain in the ass for days. I had dozens of reboots a day, it really made my device unusable.

I had 2 options: A factory reset, where the outcome was unsure and definitly a lot more work, or your solution.

So I gave it a shot and rooted my device with towelroot (great thingy, which reduces knox ad absurdum, the knox counter stays at 0x0). Installed xposed and your module, since then no single softreboot. I will observe the behaviour and report if the problem occurs again.

Thanks for sharing this!

Kind Regards,
Bernie

Reactions: apicia and 8Marc8D8

buggerritt

Jan 16, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
I've been getting" sim card removed" error and having to reboot since jumping on this firmware. Is this the problem being solved?

i337 (AT&T) + Goldeneye v35 (i9505) + Domination v2.3(i9505) + Wanam Xposed = pure awesome

sumbeam

Dec 7, 2009
I have just installed this module, and hope it solves the reboots (I'm suffering several per hour).

I'll keep you updated with the results...

Thank you very much for this fix!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *A big thanks to all the people that have donated so far*

This module fixes the random reboots (which are actually System Server crashes) on newer Samsung S4 Kitkat Firmwares like I9505XXUGNF1.

After updating my SGS 4 to I9505XXUGNF1 I like many experienced random crashes which at first glance seem to be reboots of the device. Looking at the logcat I figured out that actually the system server process crashes due to an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException. After reading the source code I figured what the problem is and wrote this small module to workaround the crash. My S4 is running without a single crash since.

The module can be found in the XPosed Module Repository.
    Version 1.1 available

Version 1.1 is now available for download from Xposed Repo
    Thanks I am not allowed to post links...
    With 500 downloads as of today and no single message here that it is causing problems you may just try if it works for you I think.