[Q] Live Demo Unit SM-N9005, Interesting HW question

Search This thread

gmedrano84

Nov 9, 2013
Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for your wisdom...

So I was given a LDU of the note 3 by my brother who works in a Samsung retailer. Unit works great, was able to root and disable the retail mode and keep it from wiping the phone every night. So far so good.

One thing thats interesting is that GPS is installed and working properly and is able to locate me and ever navigate, which is interesting as I've heard that these units lack both GPS and radio.

The phone is also able to take a chip and when I put it in, of course, the phone doesnt get any signal BUT it does rexognize a chip is in and shows me the little SIM app that I can go to check some carrier stuff (which I cant check as I get an error everytime I click on an option).

IMEI shows as unknown BUT APN configuration is lifted straight from the chip and appears automatically in the phone.

Is this normal or am I missing something here? When I check "about phone" the model shows as N9005 is that normal too? Ive seem to understand that it should show n900x?

All of this makes me wonder if theres some light at the end of the tunnel and this phone could be used as a proper GSM phone. Can you share some of your wisdom?

I've toyed around with the idea of getting a note 3 motherboard and swap it so I can eventually fully use this phone, but before I wanted to check if what I mentioned is normal for a LDU or of theres a way of making sure this phone does actually have radio installed.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gmedrano84

Nov 9, 2013
Ok upon further inspection the device does show sm-n900x on the sticker behind the battery. Still, should it have the GPS working? Any chance it could actually have the radio HW?

xdm9mm

Dec 11, 2013
It doesnt have imei so aim card will not work. There is a thread here that says you can "recover" imei. Search the EFS threads and if you find the link, try it and let us know if your phones works. Good luck

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa

So I was given a LDU of the note 3 by my brother who works in a Samsung retailer. Unit works great, was able to root and disable the retail mode and keep it from wiping the phone every night. So far so good.

One thing thats interesting is that GPS is installed and working properly and is able to locate me and ever navigate, which is interesting as I've heard that these units lack both GPS and radio.

The phone is also able to take a chip and when I put it in, of course, the phone doesnt get any signal BUT it does rexognize a chip is in and shows me the little SIM app that I can go to check some carrier stuff (which I cant check as I get an error everytime I click on an option).

IMEI shows as unknown BUT APN configuration is lifted straight from the chip and appears automatically in the phone.

Is this normal or am I missing something here? When I check "about phone" the model shows as N9005 is that normal too? Ive seem to understand that it should show n900x?

All of this makes me wonder if theres some light at the end of the tunnel and this phone could be used as a proper GSM phone. Can you share some of your wisdom?

I've toyed around with the idea of getting a note 3 motherboard and swap it so I can eventually fully use this phone, but before I wanted to check if what I mentioned is normal for a LDU or of theres a way of making sure this phone does actually have radio installed.

Thanks guys.

You should use this app to get more details about your phone and post it here for further help.

Can you show all info from your phone?

el_venga

May 17, 2007

Thanks guys.

what did you do to make the "phone" work stable? i dont care about gsm or gps.

theprint

Jan 21, 2012
Guagua
hi i have n9005 live demo unit also
it detects sim card but no signal.
phone INFO in finrmware have basband version pda and csc.
can you help me make it normal phone?
my note 3 have imei also

Last edited:

theprint

Jan 21, 2012
Guagua
Can you show screenshots about the info?
here are the screenshot sir.
i have imei
and simtool in my menu when i insert a simcard.
52e2xyk3x

qi83p5ojn

tahx0kzq1

theprint

Jan 21, 2012
Guagua

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
refurbished unit sir
here is the actual screenshot big size

Can you check and show these screenshots:

1- open dialer, enter *#0011#
2- then Menu > Back, Menu > Key Input > Q0 > wait until MAIN MENU appears, select DEBUG SCREEN > MM INFORMATION.
3- then Menu > Back > MM REJECT CAUSE

Please post these 3 screenshots.

theprint

Jan 21, 2012
Guagua
Can you check and show these screenshots:

1- open dialer, enter *#0011#
2- then Menu > Back, Menu > Key Input > Q0 > wait until MAIN MENU appears, select DEBUG SCREEN > MM INFORMATION.
3- then Menu > Back > MM REJECT CAUSE

Please post these 3 screenshots.

here sir
http://s4.postimg.org/ygi5kcjz1/Screenshot_2014_11_17_10_11_46_1.png
http://s8.postimg.org/g4pf5i485/Screenshot_2014_11_17_10_12_00_1.png
http://s14.postimg.org/hafmz0j9d/Screenshot_2014_11_17_10_12_13_1.png

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Reactions: theprint

theprint

Jan 21, 2012
Guagua

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa

kar1

Dec 17, 2014
Hi

I have the same live demo unit. I opened it and found there is no antenna in it. I researched on the same issue a lot and found some users got signal after installing the antenna. Most of them(including me) are facing the problem with null imei.

Key Points during my reserach
1. Missing Antenna.
2. Its a LTE model and also found sm-n9005 on the motherboard when I opened it.
3. N9005 ROMS should work.
4. Found that its trying to read SIM card but it unable to and its detecting for sure.

My doubts :
1. If any hardware is missing it may go into bootloop if any stock ROM is installed so should know if the complete hardware is there or not.
2. How to fix null IMEI ?

I am just the beginner. Just posted this as it may bring new ideas :) please dont experiment.
I am stuck at fixing null IMEI. Once its done I will try burning stock ROM. Before that please help me in fixing null IMEI. So that I will experiment and let you know the feedback :) so that you can experiment :)

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Hi

I have the same live demo unit. I opened it and found there is no antenna in it. I researched on the same issue a lot and found some users got signal after installing the antenna. Most of them(including me) are facing the problem with null imei.

Key Points during my reserach
1. Missing Antenna.
2. Its a LTE model and also found sm-n9005 on the motherboard when I opened it.
3. N9005 ROMS should work.
4. Found that its trying to read SIM card but it unable to and its detecting for sure.

My doubts :
1. If any hardware is missing it may go into bootloop if any stock ROM is installed so should know if the complete hardware is there or not.
2. How to fix null IMEI ?

I am just the beginner. Just posted this as it may bring new ideas :) please dont experiment.
I am stuck at fixing null IMEI. Once its done I will try burning stock ROM. Before that please help me in fixing null IMEI. So that I will experiment and let you know the feedback :) so that you can experiment :)
How do you have the IMEI if you don't have radio hardware?

Check your modem board info using Phone INFO ★Samsung★ app.

kar1

Dec 17, 2014
Hi Sir,

I checked my modem board and its showing MSM8974. Is it a valid one ?

Also the screenshots which previously posted by theprint are matching with my phone. Wen it is having IMEI I think I can also have the IMEI by some means. Correct me if I am wrong

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
Hi Sir,

I checked my modem board and its showing MSM8974. Is it a valid one ?

Also the screenshots which previously posted by theprint are matching with my phone. Wen it is having IMEI I think I can also have the IMEI by some means. Correct me if I am wrong

Can you show ALL screenshots from the app Phone INFO ★Samsung★ ??
I will do more investigation and tell you later.
And also take a picture of the back sticker (behind the battery) and send (or PM) me.

Top Liked Posts