[App] SD-Booster v 1.0.2 released

Search This thread

Akusari

Sep 23, 2010
www.homerchess.com
Hello,

i released version 1.0.2 of my SD-Booster app on the market right now.

Changelog:

This version fix a root permission bug found by Andreas and include tweaks for some devices (e.g LG Optimus Speed, Motorola Milestone).

Coming soon: New features will be released with version 2.0.

Market-Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.mehrmann.sdbooster
AppBrain-Link: http://www.appbrain.com/app/sd-booster/de.mehrmann.sdbooster

App description:

SD-Booster speeds up your SD-Card (external memory-card) up to 40 times! Enjoy a new feeling of speed on your Android smartphone anytime and everywhere you are. Starting apps, listing to your favorite music or just swapping data with your PC ? Whatever you do, the SD-Booster improve your phone speed!

SD-Booster needs root permission to run, otherwhise SD-Booster can't do anything!

For experts only: App works with read_ahead_kb value

Regards
Akusari

Attachments

• SD-Booster-FAQ.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,682
Last edited:

spawns

Apr 7, 2010
Hi, Y am looking for a program o this caracteristics, but first y would like to know how it works.. what does it change?
thanks..!

Reactions: yanuricasper

dandiar

Dec 22, 2010
correct me if i'm wrong, but this app changes your read_ahead_kb value in your sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0 right? what values does it sets it to? 2048 or 3069?

Reactions: Akusari

Shoulon

Apr 12, 2008
All it does is increase how fast it reads your SD card. so yes, it can speed up a lot of your casual activity's. harmless also.

Reactions: Akusari

nickmcminn60

Oct 9, 2010
Asheville
Yes all it does is change your read ahead cache. You can also use this script. Place it in your system\etc\init.d folder and change permissions to rwxr-x--
You can change the value to what ever you want by editing the ''768'' Ive found 768 to be best balance. anything above 1028 is overkill, it may speed up your Really large files but will slow down small ones and most files you want fast access to are relatively small. IE. music, pic's, text files ect. after you change values and reboot you can check to see if your changes have stuck, simply go to sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0\read ahead cache and open file as text and it will display the running value. You can also change the value directly from there and test your phones performance with each change untill you find the best for you. You will loose your settings after reboot if you just change values from here: sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read ahead cache. This is not intended to knock this cool app in no way. just trying to help ppl understand who didnt and to the people who would like this mod but dont want to have another app running in the background.
*** You will have to remove the ".txt" extension before using this file****

Attachments

• 77sdcardspeedfix.txt
    168 bytes · Views: 726

Akusari

Sep 23, 2010
www.homerchess.com
correct me if i'm wrong, but this app changes your read_ahead_kb value in your sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0 right? what values does it sets it to? 2048 or 3069?

Well, you're right with this path, but there are some more possibilities to set the values (diffferent paths). It depends on the hardware. However, the app set the value received by the GUI.

Reactions: BikerBoy030

Akusari

Sep 23, 2010
www.homerchess.com
I get nothing. No error message.
I did a benchmark before and after the use of your program but the results was the same.

What exactly do you mean by providing a logcat. If you could be more specific it would be very helpfull. :)

Connect your phone via USB to your PC and start a shell with the command: "adb logcat > output.txt" and post this file here. :)

(Android SDK must be installed)

Best
Akusari

Last edited:

sonof

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks! Increased my Quadrant score from 1762 to 1806. I changed the value to 768. I will see if I notice any increase in user experience but it didn't hurt to try :)

Samsung Galaxy S running Insanity 7.2 (Android 2.2.1) with latest Hardcore Speedmod Kernel - no overclocking.

dandiar

Dec 22, 2010
Well, you're right with this path, but there are some more possibilities to set the values (diffferent paths). It depends on the hardware. However, the app set the value received by the GUI.

i have a moto backflip and i know its kinda slow.....so now i've cranked it up to 2048 and found that my phone lags even worse and that I/O speed went down. maybe @nickmcminn60 was right, more than 1028 is overkill. so i decided to go with 1000, and now it's working great. will test it out for a couple of days.

Akusari

Sep 23, 2010
www.homerchess.com
Everything with the content "(SD-Booster)" is needed. But it would be better if you could can post everything you have, because sometimes the Android OS gives me usefull informations as well.

Best,
Akusari

thetak

Mar 30, 2011
teleytaios.wordpress.com
Everything with the content "(SD-Booster)" is needed. But it would be better if you could can post everything you have, because sometimes the Android OS gives me usefull informations as well.

Best,
Akusari

My friend Akusari,

The output.txt has no record containing SD-Booster. I would like to send soy the file but I see that it contains data that it's not for publication. I'll try to get another output.txt file again later this afternoon and I'll get back.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

i released version 1.0.2 of my SD-Booster app on the market right now.

Changelog:

This version fix a root permission bug found by Andreas and include tweaks for some devices (e.g LG Optimus Speed, Motorola Milestone).

Coming soon: New features will be released with version 2.0.

Market-Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.mehrmann.sdbooster
    AppBrain-Link: http://www.appbrain.com/app/sd-booster/de.mehrmann.sdbooster

App description:

SD-Booster speeds up your SD-Card (external memory-card) up to 40 times! Enjoy a new feeling of speed on your Android smartphone anytime and everywhere you are. Starting apps, listing to your favorite music or just swapping data with your PC ? Whatever you do, the SD-Booster improve your phone speed!

SD-Booster needs root permission to run, otherwhise SD-Booster can't do anything!

For experts only: App works with read_ahead_kb value

Regards
    Akusari
    Yes all it does is change your read ahead cache. You can also use this script. Place it in your system\etc\init.d folder and change permissions to rwxr-x--
    You can change the value to what ever you want by editing the ''768'' Ive found 768 to be best balance. anything above 1028 is overkill, it may speed up your Really large files but will slow down small ones and most files you want fast access to are relatively small. IE. music, pic's, text files ect. after you change values and reboot you can check to see if your changes have stuck, simply go to sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0\read ahead cache and open file as text and it will display the running value. You can also change the value directly from there and test your phones performance with each change untill you find the best for you. You will loose your settings after reboot if you just change values from here: sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read ahead cache. This is not intended to knock this cool app in no way. just trying to help ppl understand who didnt and to the people who would like this mod but dont want to have another app running in the background.
    *** You will have to remove the ".txt" extension before using this file****
    How does this app compare to "SD Speed Increase", which is well-known and has been on the market for a looooong time already...?

At a moment, with version 1.x of SD-Booster, there are no much different between these two applications. Basicly they doing the same. Well, SD-Booster doesn't use and will never use any kind of advertising (compared to other SD-Card apps) ;) As i wrote SD-Booster i didn't know about this app.

With upcoming version 2.0 of SD-Booster, coming in the next weeks, this facts will be change completely. SD-Booster 2.0 comes with a new UI and use his own intelligent technology framework to detect SD-Cards correctly for all known and future devices. SD-Booster will be smart and suggest tuned cache sizes based on the framework. There will be more options for the users. With version 2.1 a own speed test will be included as well.

However, i'm sure version 2.0 shows many features which never shown before and couldn't be realize in a shellscript.

Best,
    Akusari
    Hi, Y am looking for a program o this caracteristics, but first y would like to know how it works.. what does it change?
    thanks..!
    Silly question, but it should work on internal sd partition? Fat format...

Yeah, does it work on internal storage devices like Nexus S?