The all things galaxy s4 (gs4) model sph-l720t thread

Search This thread

bgmg

Jan 11, 2014
THIS IS THE ALL THINGS GALAXY S4 (GS4) MODEL SPH-L720T THREAD

Note: This thread is primarily for the SPH-L720T not the SPH-L720. "T" is for Tri-band.

Please post any success and lessons learned (as it relates to the SPRINT SPH-L720T) on this thread. This thread is meant to be a centralized repository and discussion forum for all of us SPRINT SPH-L720T users. I believe that drawing all SPH-L720T users and resources together in one forum greatly benefits us all. This Operating Post (Post 1) is intended to be a summary of all that has been learned on this 720T thread. In reality, the OP can't contain everything, but it should be a huge jump start for everyone.

Nothing in this op is meant to condone or encourage you to mod your phone or to do something that may or may not be against your contract.

I will always try to give credit where credit is due...so if you see I have missed giving you credit for something on this post, please let me know. I will make the correction.

******SPRINT SPH-L720T BASICS ******

Version list is in release order from top to bottom. Tap on this version list for more info:
MK5 = 4.3 < Oldest
NAF = 4.4.1
NC6 = 4.4.2
NG5 = 4.4.2
NK1 = 4.4.2 (never became official)
OA3 = 4.4.2
OD2 = 5.0.1
OF1 = 5.0.1
OH1 = 5.0.1
OK3 = 5.0.1
PL1 = 5.0.1 < Newest (only listed on sammobile)

NOTE: Baseband = modem version
-----------------------------------------------------------

[COLOR=#00800]ROOTING[/COLOR]
Security policy updates are never ending and can potentially prevent any of the root methods below from working at any time. As always, try at your own risk.

K1MU SAFEROOT METHOD
k1mu's Saferoot method is confirmed to work on Sprint MK5. 4.3 and only trips the custom flag. It does not trip the Knox flag. I tried it on my MK5 and it worked perfectly. Saferoot will not work on KIT KAT 4.4.x (MK5) and above (NC6, NG5, etc.)

GEOHOT TOWELROOT METHOD
geohot's Towelroot v3 method with mod string "1337 0 1 7380 4 0" is confirmed to work on Sprint NC6 4.4.2 and only trips the custom flag. It does not trip the Knox flag(It will not work on NG5 or above). I tried it on my NC6 and it worked perfectly.

To find out more about mod strings, read the first post of the towelroot thread . In short, install towelroot apk, run the app, tap the title "Welcome to towelroot v3" three times and put in 1337 0 1 7380 4 0, then tap "make it ra1n" to root.

Towelroot does not install supersu for you. You will have to download supersu from the playstore and install it yourself.

If you recieve a device not supported message it DOES NOT necessarily mean that towelroot will not work on your device.

If I tap make it ra1n with the default mod string, I get this device is not supported message, but if I put the Samsung mod string in (1337 0 1 7380 4 0), it works and says your device is rooted.

CF-AUTO-ROOT METHOD
Note: All CF-ROOT methods will trip Knox flag.
CF-AUTO-ROOT for the regular 720 model is confirmed to work on 720T MK5 4.3, NAF 4.4, and NC6 4.4 (by Frukyyy post 340, judgeduck post 367, and daniel4653 post 415). JerryGNYC in post 964, pasted confirmation from mitch10102000 on another thread that CF-ROOT also works on NG5. JG96EVO on post 1854 confirmed this works on OA3. japush on post 2854 confirmed this works on OH1. Kjricker. post 3174, tha*noobster 3194, and SilverZero post 3223 confirmed this works on OK3. You can also odin the beta 720T CF-ROOT file on this link which is confirmed to work on NG5 by dward3662 in post 1177, or you can odin this 720T file which appears to be a little newer version confirmed to work on NG5 by droidzer1 in post 1349. This method will likely work on OF1, but no confirmations yet.

For OD2, jayshocka in post 2294 applied bilgerryan idea in post 2289 and confirmed turning off reactivation lock in the security screen and then using odin 3.07 with cf autoroot. jayshocka also successfully flashed twrp with flashify. Apparently, he could not use ODIN and successfully root his device until he turned off reactivation lock in settings.... more.... security. See pic post 2289. This method will likely work on OK3, but no confirmations yet.

1) Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip
2) If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
3) (USB ) Disconnect your phone from your computer
4) Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
5) Click the AP or PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
6) Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a up to continue, press the up volume button on the side of your phone
7) (USB ) Connect the phone to your computer
8 ) Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
9) Click the Start button
10) Wait for Android to boot
11) Done

TWRP SUPERSU METHOD
lost_ in post 1181 confirms this method for stock NG5. JG96EVO on post 2854 confirmed this works on OA3. , and this method will trip the Knox warranty flag.

This TWRP method is confirmed working on OD2 by fuzzybuffalo in post 2611 as long as you ensure reacativation lock is off in the security screen inside the new knox app first as described in the cf-auto root section above. Confirmed to work on OH1 by Pioneer post 2845. Confirmed on PL1 by bgmg

1) Get TWRP tar for jfltespr
2) Download supersu zip installer to either internal storage or ext SD
3) With the phone in download mode and Odin set to NOT auto-reboot, all other options UNchecked, flash TWRP into PDA slot (or AP slot if you are using a newer version of ODIN that doesn't have a PDA slot). When done, remove battery and USB
4) Power up into recovery. If it's still stock recovery instead of TWRP, just redo step 3
5) Flash supersu.zip

Done. The phone is now rooted. After rebooting system, open SuperSu and if you want to fully disable Knox, say yes to the prompt.

KINGROOT METHOD
Clipless in post 3720 confirms this method works on PL1

That's all the confirmed root methods so make your choice, and PLEASE post any significant findings on this thread.

ROOT METHODS NOT YET CONFIRMED ON 720T
NOTE: These methods are not yet confirmed on 720T but may work. If you try one of these methods on a 720T please confirm on this thread.

Sunderwear's method is another root method confirmed to work on KK 4.4 on another model GS4 phone (NOT 720T). This will likely trip Knox.

Framaroot is another apk root method, and apparently it auto installs supersu. Framaroot has not yet been confirmed on 720T. Not sure if this will trip Knox.

[COLOR=#00800]CUSTOM FLAG RESETS[/COLOR]
As far as the best reset for the custom flag on Sprint MK5 in case you ever want/need to get back to official:
Several methods have been noted, and they are listed in post 16 of this thread. I used Wanam with Xposed Framework to fake my custom flag back to official. Why? I have no idea, because on my Sprint MK5 the phone still boots up normal even when the flag says custom unlike the ATT GS4 which shows a big unlock picture with the word custom during boot in place of the Samsung Galaxy logo. Basically I faked the flag back to official just to satisfy my OCD.​

[COLOR=#00800]XPOSED[/COLOR]
OH1 AND OK3
triiuzii in post #3429 confirms this method will allow Xposed to work on OH1 and OK3.

Download xposed installer from this thread; http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811
or just click this link; http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3383776&d=1435601440

Then you also have to download the zip file from this thread; http://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-xposed-samsung-lollipop-5-0-x-t3455992
or just click here; http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3868339&d=1473312864

Install xposed and then reboot into recovery and flash the zip file. Your phone will take a while to update, but after it's done, xposed will be installed.
If you happen to run into a problem, also download this zip file; http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3868338&d=1473312864 . It will uninstall what you tried to do.

V6 SNAPDRAGON VERSION
Bilgerryan in post 3454 confirms this version works on the "v6 Snapdragon" version here- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=60857320

[COLOR=#00800]HOTSPOT[/COLOR]
WIFI TETHER APP
youngnex in post #144 and #156 confirms Wifi Tether Router to work on 720T (the app requires root permission and is now available in the play store again. This has been confirmed working on MK5, NAF, NC6 (judgeduck post 367), NG5 (dward3662 post 1132), OA3 (curtwest1 post 2248 ), OD2 (post 2747), and OH1 (guho post 2987) with the following settings (This will likely work on OF1 and OK3 also, but it's currently unconfirmed). :
WiFi Channel: 1 or 6​
Interface: wlan0​
Method: 3-HostApd​
No Firmware Reload: UnChecked​
Drivers: nl80211​
Wifi Mode: WiFi - N​
Prevents Standby: Checked​
MTU Adjust: UnChecked​
HostApd Patch: UnChecked​
Power Transmit Mgmt: Checked​
LTE Tether Patch: UnChecked​
No Disable Wifi: UnChecked​
Under "Advanced Wif Settings" uncheck the "Always allow scanning"​
If you are having problems losing connection try changing the WIFI Channel from 1 to 6 or from 6 to 1. Originally, I had to change the channel to 6 to eliminate disconnects. Worked great for months. Installed a recent Wifi Tether Router update (5/3/14) and had to change back to channel 1 to eliminate the disconnects.

NATIVE HOTSPOT SQLITE TELEPHONY.DB METHOD
A working stable solution has been put together from a few posts on this thread. They include muddogknls in post 798, jdonmc1948 in post 818, and then finally stabalized by Cooljb in post 1140. This has been confirmed on at least NC6 and NG5; however, it will likely work on all 720T versions and it requires root on at least NG5 (may not need root on NC6 and older). This will likely work on OF1, OH1, and OK3 also, but it's currently unconfirmed.

Instructions:
1) Download sqlite editor app from the app store.

2) Open the app and give it root permissions. It should populate a list.

3) Navigate to "/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/" and tap on the "telephony.db" file.

4) Tap "carriers".

5) Add dun parameter to "type" column of the last two entries (APN2 LTE internet and APN2 EHRPD internet), Do not allow a space between the comma and dun (i.e. default,mms,dun), and make sure "current" column is 1 for last 4 entries (see picture examples in post 1209). Finally, reboot and you will be good to go!

Note: If you perform an "Update Profile" or a factory reset in the future after doing this mod, it will overwrite/modify your telephony.db file, your native hotspot will likely become unstable after the next reboot, and you will have to perform these steps all over again to enable and/or stabalize your native hotspot.

APN METHOD
oberon567 post 3275 confirms a third method of adding dun to your APN type (if your APN section is unlocked) so that it reads "default,supl,mms,dun". May need to reboot to take affect. oberon567 indicates that it is limited to connecting to only a single device at a time (at least for his carrier).

[COLOR=#00800]CUSTOM RECOVERY[/COLOR]
Successful Custom Recovery tools posted so far include:
1) philz 6.1.3.1 by bthorne79 post 41
2) philz 6.30.2 by al4d post 413
3) TWRP 2.7.0.1 by mogul420 post 459.

[COLOR=#00800]ROMS[/COLOR]
Note: When flashing ROMs that are not fully compatible with the 720T. In some cases you go directly to Digital Roaming, but in others you might brick the device.

It has been reported that currently you will lose WiFi calling capability if you flash asop ROMs. So far, I have seen no confirmations of WiFi calling working on asop ROMS

In post #470, glassman326 has confirmed with photo evidence that while the startup spark graphic is lost when flashing a regular 720 rom, spark still works and is not actually lost (at least with the SlimKat NC6 ROM; however, this probably holds true for all 720 ROMs); however, you may be able to restore the spark graphic or actual spark (if it's really gone) by following the instructions in the MISC section below.

bthorne79 in post 3348 also confirms "Spark does work on aosp ROMs..." and "Octos has a spark tester and he gets his spark speeds also"

In post 3075, TheHumansAreDead confirms Blisspop v4.0.3 Official 20151112 jfltespr (Lollipop 5.1.1) runs as smooth as butter on our sph-l720t with 3G and LTE service on Ring+.

He had to edit the APN settings for Ring+ to get the data working and posted that info here.

Tap this for Official BlissPop thread

In post 1853 bthorne79 confirms every rom for aosp now with TW works on SPH-L720T.

In post #158, frukyyy confirms Sacs 4.3

daniel4653 in post 439 confirms most touch wiz Roms work with triband model.

bilgerryan in post 2261 and 2636 confirms this Wicked X ROM works on 720T.

FlashFire ROM for 720T credit muniz_ri post 2503.

Liquidsmooth Confirmed by captkang post 2764.

Tap here to download Stock Rooted Deodx ROMs credit bthorne79 post 1433.

antibiotic1 in post 1436 has figured out how to get C-ROM to work.

If you decide to use the cm12 rom you will want to go to post 2293 by tyxavier13 and download the fix he posted.

Per shadowcliffs post 1934 , the tw lollipop rom S4 Echoe Rom v42 works well on our l720t with the AEL kernel. You can even flash the ported Note 4 camera.

As working-non working status or issues should be modem specific shadowcliffs offers this on NG5 :
1) ROMs working well:
1.1) Stock NG5, OA3: :)
1.2) [UNOFFICIAL][5.0.2][CM-12.0] CyanogenMod 12 for jfltespr (2015-01-26 / FINAL: Working
1.3) [LXR22G][5.0.2] Team OctOs Oct-L: Working
1.4) [OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod Nightly Builds for jfltespr
Followings are reported working by others in this thread:
1.5) C-Rom 7.1 (#78 ) : some issues where it says digital roaming sometimes. It didn't seem to be as good a connection for LTE as stock rom and it dropped to 3G more often.
1.6) SuperS4 (#80): the newest SuperS4 does have the spark icon.
1.7) BeanStalk ROM (4.4.4) : It's completely stable and has just about every possible customization baked right into the ROM including xposed installer.
1.8 ) SlimKat ROM (4.4.4): keeps the ROM stock,only customize a little, always a rock solid ROM with exceptional support and almost perfect code.
1.9) PacMan ROM (4.4.4):
1.10) Mahdi ROM (says digital roaming instead of Sprint but works perfectly)

2) Roms Not working so well:
2.1) Sacs_Custom_Rom_V3_NG2_9_24_14 : Wifi not working. ktoonez kernel fixes WiFi but with lag. The issue might be modem specific.
2.2) [ROM] [ jfltespr ][ Feb 10 ] AICP - 8.0 - LP 5.0.2_r1 | OFFICIAL NIGHTLIES: Phone runs warm / battery drain
2.3) 【5.0.1】Google Play Edition 【JFLTE-GPE】, 2-23-2015 build: Phone runs warm / battery drain
(Below are reported by others)
2.4) Triforce + ktoonez kernel to get the WiFi working: FC from time to time though.
STOCK ROOTED ROMS
From bthorne79: These are STOCK ROOTED BUILDS

DOWNLOADS
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=20593

The roms must be be flashed in custom recovey.
How to flash rom
1: Reboot phone to recovery
2: Make a back up of current rom
3: Wipe clean
4:Flash rom
5:Reboot and wait about 4-5 for boot to finish

How to flash modem
Use Odin v3.09
1: Untick Autoreboot
2: Flash modem in the phone slot (CP)
3: Reboot once again into Download Mode using (Vol Down plus Home button combi)
4: Flash Modem once more
5: Once done,unplug then reboot device manually.
If this doesn't work, try repeating the flash process again while rebooting manually and with auto-reboot option turned off.

If you have a issue with wifi connetion make sure you are on the correct baseband.
modems will be in the extra folder named with the firmware build along with stock boot.img, recovery and the NON_HLOS.bin(wifi fix)

Tap on these links below for some more great SPH-L720T rom threads:

Shaddowcliffs testing results of Roms for SPH-L720T thread

bthorne79 SPH-L720T stock roots roms thread

[COLOR=#00800]UNLOCKING FOR USE ON OTHER CARRIERS[/COLOR]
The following unlock for overseas solution has been brought forward by kmani.k78 post 1355 and mkardash in post 1363.

Tap here to go to the unlock solution thread and follow the directions on post one.

aalyatim in post 1392 offers a unlocking solution for domestic use which apparently requires the user to downgrade the modem to MK5 first. MK5 modem can be found in the downloads section at the bottom of this OP. Also check out instructions from broad_st_bully post 1626.

You can also use Galaxy tools to perform a sim unlock.

In regards to galaxy tools, idone provided this wisdom: To use GSM outside the US it is as simple as pressing the unlock sim button in galaxy tools. If you want to use it in the US: only S4, Note 3, and Mega's(Mega's that haven't been updated to 4.4.x) can, but you also need to downgrade baseband (modem) to MK5 first, then navigate to UE SETTING & INFO>SETTING>PROTOCOL>GCF>[1] and reboot. For more information on How to get galaxy tools, go to the "NATIVE HOTSPOT GALAXY TOOLS APK METHOD" area in the HOTSPOT section of this op.

UNLOCKING YOUR APN's
Use Galaxy Tools to change the sales code to XAS. This will unlock your APNs

[COLOR=#00800]TOGGLES[/COLOR]
Including: MobileData & WiFiHotspot toggles.
klabit87 in post 822 posted this as a working solution: .
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43042030
See post 822 for more info.
Note: Brightness toggle doesn't work on 720T and SmartPause toggle is already present on 720T stock.

...Or use Galaxy tools to turn the toggles on for you (requires root). For more information on How to get galaxy tools, go to the "NATIVE HOTSPOT GALAXY TOOLS APK METHOD" area in the HOTSPOT section of this op.

SURFING WHILE TALKING
It is the sim/network that determines whether the phone is capable of simultaneous surf and talk. ATT sim which will switch you to the ATT network, will allow the phone to surf and talk. Same with a Verizon sim/network. The sprint sim/network does not support this.

Once you have a sprint sim installed and activated, you can only surf and talk when connected to wifi. The device will use your wifi for surfing and your cellular for phone call (if your WiFi calling is off). If you do not have a wifi connection, you cannot use cellular for simultaneous phone call and surfing on sprint sim/network.

Sprint representative advised me that Sprint is rolling out simultaneous cellular Talk and Surf capability sometime this month (September 2018). He said they are using VOIP technology to add this dual simultaneous cellular capability to their subscribers, and that it is a different method than what is used by AT&T and Verizon.

It is called Sprint Plus and its only available to android initially, and in select areas. My understanding is this software fix/enhancement is being pushed only to Galaxy S8 and newer devices initially.

Read this Sprint Plus web page:
https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-calling-plus.html

[COLOR=#00800]MISC[/COLOR]
HOW TO REPROVISION YOUR PHONE
From your dial pad type ##72786#

LOST SPARK GRAPHIC AND SOME OTHER SPRINT SETTINGS
When I upgraded to stock KitKat I lost my boot spark graphic. shadowswittness 506 and frukyyy in post 621 provided the location of an AOSP tool on the play store called customization refresh. Some sprint settings including spark can often be restored via this tool.

I downloaded and ran step one. It went through a series of boots, and (for whatever it's worth) it restored my spark boot graphic on the last reboot. I did not lose anything by running step one. I have no idea what happens on step two.

Not sure if this will work on flashed roms to restore the spark boot graphic.

BLOAT WARE LIST
Here is one I found: "Safe to Remove Applications" for our Sprint GS4's List!

HOW TO HIDE YOUR UPGRADE NOTIFICATIONS
If you want to stay on your current version and don't want see the upgrade notification until you are ready and toy are on kit Kat or lower, I recommend robtheslob's solution post #118 which uses the NotifyClean module with Xposed Framework to hide the notification. Here are the instructions:
1. Download and Install NotifyClean and turn it on in the Xposed Framework.​
2. Inside CleanNotify, tap "Google Services Framework" or "Google Play Services" depending on what version OS you are running.​
3. Tap "System Update Downloaded". It should now be highlighted in red. If you don't see this choice, it means that you did not have NotifyClean installed prior to the upgrade notification firing/appearing. A notification has to fire once for NotifyClean to capture it. If you installed NotifyClean after receiving the update notification, reboot your phone a couple of times. This should cause the notification to re-fire and NotifyClean to capture it. At this point, you should now be able to go back into the module and see the System Update Downloaded under Google Play Services. Don't forget to tap it and turn it red. When it is in red, it is turned off.​
4. Press the back button to back out of module and reboot.​
NOTE: You can go back into NotifyClean at any time in the future, unhide the upgrade notification, reboot, and upgrade to NG5 when you are ready.​
HOW TO GET TO SERVICE MODE MENU
(from kskh post 862)
*#0011#
Menu > Back
Menu > keyInput "Q"
Menu > keyInput "0000"
Wait for few seconds

There is a beta xposed framework for lollipop that may allow notify clean to work on lollipop. We have no confirmations though.

Here is another solution. It's called Disable notifications credit frukyyy post 2784. Note: This solution may hide other Google Play service notifications for other apps or all your apps, but is should work on all android versions.

OTHER CODES
##3282# resets data > fuzzybuffalo post 2242
##72786# resets network, but might prompt for MSL code > fuzzybuffalo post 2242

MOBILE ODIN
From shadowcliffs post 2183, here is how to get mobile odin to work.

Just set ro.product.model to SPH-L720 in build.prop. It looks like:

ro.product.model=SPH-L720

Save, reboot, then mobile odin will recognize the device and start downloading what it needs.

[COLOR=#00800]ODIN BASICS[/COLOR]
BL = Bootloader
AP = PDA/Firmware
CP = Phone/Modem/Baseband

[COLOR=#00800]DOWNLOADS [/COLOR]
Samsung Odin Tutorial credit bthorne79 post 1508

XDA Odin Guide

Samsung Odin credit to fuzzybuffalo #2668.

Stock no-root OD2 tar for those who don't want to wait for a long Sam-mobile download credit MexPwrEng post 2749

USB Drivers credit to daisflaque post 689

Samsung Kies

All Stock Firmwares

Firmware Faster Downloads by bthorne79 post 2701

Stock rooted busybox deodx MK5 zip from bthorne credit bthorne79 post 1663. Use a custom recovery to flash.

Chainfires new SuperSu forum credit bigsamda1st

NC6>NG5 OTA credit Jshugzda post 928. Use stock recovery to flash.

OA3>OD2 OTA credit FivePiece post 2507

Deodexed OH1 credit emkeene post 3100

FULL OH1 Firmware credit Kjricker post 2847

Xposed Framework Installer

Stock NC6 Kernel credit 2WhiteWolves post 1126

NC6 MODEM credit bthorne79 post 1340. Modems go in CP/phone slot in ODIN.

MK5 MODEM .bin file post credit BradGrenz and broad_st_bully post 1623

NG5 & NC6 Odin modems and the Stock Rooted Deodx ROMs credit bthorne79 post 1433. Modems go in phone slot in ODIN. Use a custom recovery to flash ROMs.

Stock Odin recovery for ng5 credit bthorne79 post 2056

OA3 stock root and all other files(modem recovery and few others) credit bthorne79

[COLOR=#00800]THANKS[/COLOR]
Let me end by saying thank you to all you developers and senior members for all your hard work. We can not appreciate you enough.

Any feed back is always appreciated.

[COLOR=#00800]CONCLUSION[/COLOR]
Though I am a certified techy with many years of experience in the computer and network world, this is my first Android phone, and I had everything to learn about Android and my Samsung phone. As I began to read and try to learn everything about something I knew nothing about, I realized that I never completely understood what I was reading, because things were never fully explained, often assumed a prior knowledge, and were spread out all over the net in different threads and different forms. If I was gonna catch up fast and learn what I needed to learn about my 720T, I determined that I needed to draw every SPRINT 720T user to one place (as much as is possible), and that gave birth to the XDA "EVERYTHING SPRINT Galaxy S4 Model SPH-L720T" thread and the concept of this OP. I figured this would really help me and others, and for me, it has been a real success.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a thread like this for all phone models? If you use another phone and are just stopping by, feel free to copy the OP layout and start a thread like this for your phone.

If you like having an "All Things SPH-L720T" thread, please click thanks. :)

Last edited:

bgmg

Jan 11, 2014
Rule number one, search before you post. Something I have a feeling that you did not do since the rooting method has already been answered.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------

With utmost respect, your feelings are incorrect. I did search for hours. I did not find any confirmation of rooting the MK5...I only found older models such as the MK2. That being said, I am as human as the next guy. If I missed it, and you know where it is, Please advise.

Thanks,
bgmg

Reactions: 1982gmcP

bgmg

Jan 11, 2014
SPRINT Galaxy S4 Baseband = L720TVPUAMK5 Model = SPH-L720T

Cf auto root is confirmed to root the mk5

-------------------

Daniel,

Thank you very much. Not sure where you found that but I take your experienced word for it. I searched off and on for days, read for hours, and didn't see it...so I really appreciate your confirmation and instantly gave you a like.

About three weeks ago, I owned a brand new ATT I337 model, used saferoot on it, and it tripped the custom flag. I had to use ted77usa ATT unbrick method to get the custom flag turned off so that I could return the phone.

Now that you have confirmed that CF will root the MK5, I'll do some more re-reading to try and confirm that CF method will not trip any flags (such as custom and knox warranty).

Any more guidance would always be appreciated.

bgmg

Reactions: daniel4653

wlc108

Dec 30, 2010
I'm interested in your outcome as well. I purchased this model when sprint put it on their site. I've been following a couple threads here but never saw a definitive answer on it working.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Reactions: bgmg

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
-------------------

Daniel,

Thank you very much. Not sure where you found that but I take your experienced word for it. I searched off and on for days, read for hours, and didn't see it...so I really appreciate your confirmation and instantly gave you a like.

About three weeks ago, I owned a brand new ATT I337 model, used saferoot on it, and it tripped the custom flag. I had to use ted77usa ATT unbrick method to get the custom flag turned off so that I could return the phone.

Now that you have confirmed that CF will root the MK5, I'll do some more re-reading to try and confirm that CF method will not trip any flags (such as custom and knox warranty).

Any more guidance would always be appreciated.

bgmg

You're welcome. And I found it in the same thread as I found that a member successfully rooted their MK5 triband with this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hXUJ-u-cw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Reactions: zbhe

bgmg

Jan 11, 2014
SPRINT Galaxy S4 Baseband = L720TVPUAMK5 Model = SPH-L720T

I'm interested in your outcome as well. I purchased this model when sprint put it on their site. I've been following a couple threads here but never saw a definitive answer on it working.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

-----------------------------------

Thanks WLC108. I'm not sure when I'm going to try it yet. May be a week or so. I want to do more reading and hopefully get some more feedback on the MK5.

A few weeks ago, I bought a brand new ATT model S4. I tried a few methods of rooting it that failed, and I think CF was one of them. In the end, I used the saferoot method posted by ted77usa for the att model and it worked perfectly. It tripped only the custom flag.

Resetting the custom flag was difficult but I was able to do it with ted's expert help. This allowed me to return the ATT phone, because I wanted to switch to Sprint. Of course that does not mean that CF won't work on my new MK5 Sprint model. Daniel is a senior member and confirms that the CF method will work on the MK5...so that should be reliable.

I really like the saferoot method best. Ted indicates it will work on the Sprint model but since he is more of an ATT guy, I'm not sure I should try it. For now, I need to do more reading on the CF method again to refresh my memory.

I've said all this only to say, I'm not completely new at this, I have a good idea what to look for and ask about before trying to root and prevent getting stuck.

ted77usa was simply awesome at assisting me (a real noob at the time). I hope to find someone else on the sprint side that will help me like ted did.

Currently, I'm trying to confirm whether CF will trip any flags, and if so, can the flags be undone later if needed.

Feel free to follow the thread and hit the "Thanks" button if you like.

Reactions: Smoov215

bgmg

Jan 11, 2014
bummer.....then I don't want to use CF this early in my contract because it trips the knox flag.

Is there a method for resetting the knox flag later?

Last edited:

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
bummer.....then I don't want to use CF this early in my contract because it trips teh knos flag.

Is there a method for resetting the knox flag later?

At the moment there isn't. You may be able to use the Kingo app. I know it works on the regular sprint gs4 without tripping Knox. It should work on the triband version.

bgmg

Jan 11, 2014
At the moment there isn't. You may be able to use the Kingo app. I know it works on the regular sprint gs4 without tripping Knox. It should work on the triband version.

----------------------------------

daniel4653,

k1mu's saferoot method is confirmed to work on Sprint MK5 and only trips the custom flag. It does not trip the Knox flag. I haven't tried it on my MK5 yet, but will soon (trying to decide if I want to wait for kit kat. I did try it on My ATT GS4 4.3 android with knox a few weeks ago, and it worked perfectly.

Check it out at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 post 1

At the bottom of post 1, you will see the reported success on Sprint MK5

If this is helpful, please add a Thanks.

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
----------------------------------

daniel4653,

k1mu's saferoot method is confirmed to work on Sprint MK5 and only trips the custom flag. It does not trip the Knox flag. I haven't tried it on my MK5 yet, but will soon (trying to decide if I want to wait for kit kat. I did try it on My ATT GS4 4.3 android with knox a few weeks ago, and it worked perfectly.

Check it out at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 post 1

At the bottom of post 1, you will see the reported success on Sprint MK5

If this is helpful, please add a Thanks.

Hmm I'm surprised the Op never added the regular SPH-L720. I confirmed it on the thread that it worked.

wlc108

Dec 30, 2010
k1mu's method worked nicely on my mk5. Now to wait for a hotspot mod for this ver :)

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

bgmg

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks wlc108

Here is some more news.

According to k1mu The "Custom" flag is set by a scanner that looks at the content of your phone, searching for anything that's modified or unexpected.

To clear the custom flag, un-do any changes you've made to the phone (like "de-bloat"), remove busybox, unroot, then reboot. Wait an hour and reboot again. You should no longer have any changes from stock, so you'll no longer be custom. It's easier, if you're planing to return your phone, to just flash a full-wipe factory stock ROM. (Not a "Stock" ROM, but factory stock from Samsung unmodified.)

I have not confirmed this works on MK5....and when I rooted my ATT GS4 a few weeks ago with k1mu saferoot, I never added anything else to it that requires root (such as nobloat, appquarantine, busybox or anything else). I did a full unroot and never saw the custom flag change back to official. I did several reboot attempts over the next few days and it never returned to official. It always said custom. It was not until I did ted77usa's unbrick method that it switched back to official. I then returned that ATT GS4 and switched to Sprint MK5. I'm pretty certain that ted77usa unbrick method for ATT GS4 would not work on the Sprint GS4.

I've also been told:

If custom doesn't go away do a full wipe either via odin, or k1mu's preferred method using the carrier-utility or kies.

or use Triangle Away. Gets rid of custom when you reboot

or use wanam exposed to fake the system status and it will allow you to be samsung official, 0x0 with root

I've not tested any of these yet, but hope to soon

Please click thanks if you are finding these postings helpful to read.

Last edited:

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Thanks wlc108

Here is some more news.

According to k1mu The "Custom" flag is set by a scanner that looks at the content of your phone, searching for anything that's modified or unexpected.

To clear the custom flag, un-do any changes you've made to the phone (like "de-bloat"), remove busybox, unroot, then reboot. Wait an hour and reboot again. You should no longer have any changes from stock, so you'll no longer be custom. It's easier, if you're planing to return your phone, to just flash a full-wipe factory stock ROM. (Not a "Stock" ROM, but factory stock from Samsung unmodified.)

I have not confirmed this works on MK5....and when I rooted my ATT GS4 a few weeks ago with k1mu saferoot, I never added anything else to it that requires root (such as nobloat, appquarantine, busybox or anything else). I did a full unroot and never saw the custom flag change back to official. I did several reboot attempts over the next few days and it never returned to official. It always said custom. It was not until I did ted77usa's unbrick method that it switched back to official. I then returned that ATT GS4 and switched to Sprint MK5. I'm pretty certain that ted77usa unbrick method for ATT GS4 would not work on the Sprint GS4.

I'm still looking for confirmation on returning the custom flag back to Official on MK5 after using k1mu saferoot.

If you're talking.about the custom/official that is shown on download mode you could Odin MK5 once you are unroofed and that will reset everything to official. It did for me on MK2 after using safe root .

bthorne79

Apr 11, 2012
ChuckTown
If you're talking.about the custom/official that is shown on download mode you could Odin MK5 once you are unroofed and that will reset everything to official. It did for me on MK2 after using safe root .

I'm looking for a custom recovery and i don't mind tripping the Knox any help.

bgmg

Jan 11, 2014
Custom Recovery

I'm looking for a custom recovery and i don't mind tripping the Knox any help.

Greetings. I see you are a senior member, which means you understand more of this terminology then I do, so forgive me if I misunderstand your question.

If by custom recovery you mean change the "SYSTEM STATUS = Custom" flag back to "SYSTEM STATUS = Official" try one of these methods:

According to k1mu the saferoot developer, "the 'Custom' flag is set by a scanner that looks at the content of your phone, searching for anything that's modified or unexpected.

To clear the custom flag, un-do any changes you've made to the phone (like 'de-bloat'), remove busybox, unroot, then reboot. Wait an hour and reboot again. You should no longer have any changes from stock, so you'll no longer be custom. It's easier, if you're planing to return your phone, to just flash a full-wipe factory stock ROM. (Not a 'Stock' ROM, but factory stock from Samsung unmodified.)"

I've also been told:

If custom doesn't go away do a full wipe either via odin, or k1mu's preferred method using the carrier-utility or kies.

or use wanam exposed to fake the system status and it will allow you to be samsung official, 0x0 with root

I've not tested any of these yet, but they seem safe enough.

When I had a AT&T GS4 and did the safe root, I was changed to "SYSTEM STATUS = Custom" and the boot screen when I turn on the phone would show a big "CUSTOM" instead of "SAMSUNG GALAXY S4". On my new Sprint MK5 GS4 after saferoot, my flag is still "SYSTEM STATUS = Custom" but my boot screen still shows "SAMSUNG GALAXY S4". since I don't see big annoying "CUSTOM" message on my sprint GS4 screen during boot, I'm not really worried about trying to reset the flag at this time.

In any case, I hope you find this helpful.

bthorne79

Apr 11, 2012
ChuckTown
Greetings. I see you are a senior member, which means you understand more of this terminology then I do, so forgive me if I misunderstand your question.

If by custom recovery you mean change the "SYSTEM STATUS = Custom" flag back to "SYSTEM STATUS = Official" try one of these methods:

According to k1mu the saferoot developer, "the 'Custom' flag is set by a scanner that looks at the content of your phone, searching for anything that's modified or unexpected.

To clear the custom flag, un-do any changes you've made to the phone (like 'de-bloat'), remove busybox, unroot, then reboot. Wait an hour and reboot again. You should no longer have any changes from stock, so you'll no longer be custom. It's easier, if you're planing to return your phone, to just flash a full-wipe factory stock ROM. (Not a 'Stock' ROM, but factory stock from Samsung unmodified.)"

I've also been told:

I've not tested any of these yet, but they seem safe enough.

When I had a AT&T GS4 and did the safe root, I was changed to "SYSTEM STATUS = Custom" and the boot screen when I turn on the phone would show a big "CUSTOM" instead of "SAMSUNG GALAXY S4". On my new Sprint MK5 GS4 after saferoot, my flag is still "SYSTEM STATUS = Custom" but my boot screen still shows "SAMSUNG GALAXY S4". since I don't see big annoying "CUSTOM" message on my sprint GS4 screen during boot, I'm not really worried about trying to reset the flag at this time.

In any case, I hope you find this helpful.

No a custom recovery as in CWM TWRP or PHILZ I tried twrp now I don't have a recovery at all I've done a lot of roots and phone flashes but this is my first Knox and it being a different variant from the SPH-L720 with different software also

Sent from my SPH-L720T using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS THE ALL THINGS GALAXY S4 (GS4) MODEL SPH-L720T THREAD

Note: This thread is primarily for the SPH-L720T not the SPH-L720. "T" is for Tri-band.

Please post any success and lessons learned (as it relates to the SPRINT SPH-L720T) on this thread. This thread is meant to be a centralized repository and discussion forum for all of us SPRINT SPH-L720T users. I believe that drawing all SPH-L720T users and resources together in one forum greatly benefits us all. This Operating Post (Post 1) is intended to be a summary of all that has been learned on this 720T thread. In reality, the OP can't contain everything, but it should be a huge jump start for everyone.

Nothing in this op is meant to condone or encourage you to mod your phone or to do something that may or may not be against your contract.

I will always try to give credit where credit is due...so if you see I have missed giving you credit for something on this post, please let me know. I will make the correction.

******SPRINT SPH-L720T BASICS ******

Version list is in release order from top to bottom. Tap on this version list for more info:
    MK5 = 4.3 < Oldest
    NAF = 4.4.1
    NC6 = 4.4.2
    NG5 = 4.4.2
    NK1 = 4.4.2 (never became official)
    OA3 = 4.4.2
    OD2 = 5.0.1
    OF1 = 5.0.1
    OH1 = 5.0.1
    OK3 = 5.0.1
    PL1 = 5.0.1 < Newest (only listed on sammobile)

NOTE: Baseband = modem version
    -----------------------------------------------------------

[COLOR=#00800]ROOTING[/COLOR]
    Security policy updates are never ending and can potentially prevent any of the root methods below from working at any time. As always, try at your own risk.

K1MU SAFEROOT METHOD
    k1mu's Saferoot method is confirmed to work on Sprint MK5. 4.3 and only trips the custom flag. It does not trip the Knox flag. I tried it on my MK5 and it worked perfectly. Saferoot will not work on KIT KAT 4.4.x (MK5) and above (NC6, NG5, etc.)

GEOHOT TOWELROOT METHOD
    geohot's Towelroot v3 method with mod string "1337 0 1 7380 4 0" is confirmed to work on Sprint NC6 4.4.2 and only trips the custom flag. It does not trip the Knox flag(It will not work on NG5 or above). I tried it on my NC6 and it worked perfectly.

To find out more about mod strings, read the first post of the towelroot thread . In short, install towelroot apk, run the app, tap the title "Welcome to towelroot v3" three times and put in 1337 0 1 7380 4 0, then tap "make it ra1n" to root.

Towelroot does not install supersu for you. You will have to download supersu from the playstore and install it yourself.

If you recieve a device not supported message it DOES NOT necessarily mean that towelroot will not work on your device.

If I tap make it ra1n with the default mod string, I get this device is not supported message, but if I put the Samsung mod string in (1337 0 1 7380 4 0), it works and says your device is rooted.

CF-AUTO-ROOT METHOD
    Note: All CF-ROOT methods will trip Knox flag.
    CF-AUTO-ROOT for the regular 720 model is confirmed to work on 720T MK5 4.3, NAF 4.4, and NC6 4.4 (by Frukyyy post 340, judgeduck post 367, and daniel4653 post 415). JerryGNYC in post 964, pasted confirmation from mitch10102000 on another thread that CF-ROOT also works on NG5. JG96EVO on post 1854 confirmed this works on OA3. japush on post 2854 confirmed this works on OH1. Kjricker. post 3174, tha*noobster 3194, and SilverZero post 3223 confirmed this works on OK3. You can also odin the beta 720T CF-ROOT file on this link which is confirmed to work on NG5 by dward3662 in post 1177, or you can odin this 720T file which appears to be a little newer version confirmed to work on NG5 by droidzer1 in post 1349. This method will likely work on OF1, but no confirmations yet.

For OD2, jayshocka in post 2294 applied bilgerryan idea in post 2289 and confirmed turning off reactivation lock in the security screen and then using odin 3.07 with cf autoroot. jayshocka also successfully flashed twrp with flashify. Apparently, he could not use ODIN and successfully root his device until he turned off reactivation lock in settings.... more.... security. See pic post 2289. This method will likely work on OK3, but no confirmations yet.

1) Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip
    2) If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    3) (USB ) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    4) Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    5) Click the AP or PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    6) Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a up to continue, press the up volume button on the side of your phone
    7) (USB ) Connect the phone to your computer
    8 ) Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    9) Click the Start button
    10) Wait for Android to boot
    11) Done

TWRP SUPERSU METHOD
    lost_ in post 1181 confirms this method for stock NG5. JG96EVO on post 2854 confirmed this works on OA3. , and this method will trip the Knox warranty flag.

This TWRP method is confirmed working on OD2 by fuzzybuffalo in post 2611 as long as you ensure reacativation lock is off in the security screen inside the new knox app first as described in the cf-auto root section above. Confirmed to work on OH1 by Pioneer post 2845. Confirmed on PL1 by bgmg

1) Get TWRP tar for jfltespr
    2) Download supersu zip installer to either internal storage or ext SD
    3) With the phone in download mode and Odin set to NOT auto-reboot, all other options UNchecked, flash TWRP into PDA slot (or AP slot if you are using a newer version of ODIN that doesn't have a PDA slot). When done, remove battery and USB
    4) Power up into recovery. If it's still stock recovery instead of TWRP, just redo step 3
    5) Flash supersu.zip

Done. The phone is now rooted. After rebooting system, open SuperSu and if you want to fully disable Knox, say yes to the prompt.

KINGROOT METHOD
    Clipless in post 3720 confirms this method works on PL1

That's all the confirmed root methods so make your choice, and PLEASE post any significant findings on this thread.

ROOT METHODS NOT YET CONFIRMED ON 720T
    NOTE: These methods are not yet confirmed on 720T but may work. If you try one of these methods on a 720T please confirm on this thread.

Sunderwear's method is another root method confirmed to work on KK 4.4 on another model GS4 phone (NOT 720T). This will likely trip Knox.

Framaroot is another apk root method, and apparently it auto installs supersu. Framaroot has not yet been confirmed on 720T. Not sure if this will trip Knox.

[COLOR=#00800]CUSTOM FLAG RESETS[/COLOR]
    As far as the best reset for the custom flag on Sprint MK5 in case you ever want/need to get back to official:
    Several methods have been noted, and they are listed in post 16 of this thread. I used Wanam with Xposed Framework to fake my custom flag back to official. Why? I have no idea, because on my Sprint MK5 the phone still boots up normal even when the flag says custom unlike the ATT GS4 which shows a big unlock picture with the word custom during boot in place of the Samsung Galaxy logo. Basically I faked the flag back to official just to satisfy my OCD.​

[COLOR=#00800]XPOSED[/COLOR]
    OH1 AND OK3
    triiuzii in post #3429 confirms this method will allow Xposed to work on OH1 and OK3.

Download xposed installer from this thread; http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811
    or just click this link; http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3383776&d=1435601440

Then you also have to download the zip file from this thread; http://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-xposed-samsung-lollipop-5-0-x-t3455992
    or just click here; http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3868339&d=1473312864

Install xposed and then reboot into recovery and flash the zip file. Your phone will take a while to update, but after it's done, xposed will be installed.
    If you happen to run into a problem, also download this zip file; http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3868338&d=1473312864 . It will uninstall what you tried to do.

V6 SNAPDRAGON VERSION
    Bilgerryan in post 3454 confirms this version works on the "v6 Snapdragon" version here- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=60857320

[COLOR=#00800]HOTSPOT[/COLOR]
    WIFI TETHER APP
    youngnex in post #144 and #156 confirms Wifi Tether Router to work on 720T (the app requires root permission and is now available in the play store again. This has been confirmed working on MK5, NAF, NC6 (judgeduck post 367), NG5 (dward3662 post 1132), OA3 (curtwest1 post 2248 ), OD2 (post 2747), and OH1 (guho post 2987) with the following settings (This will likely work on OF1 and OK3 also, but it's currently unconfirmed). :
    WiFi Channel: 1 or 6​
    Interface: wlan0​
    Method: 3-HostApd​
    No Firmware Reload: UnChecked​
    Drivers: nl80211​
    Wifi Mode: WiFi - N​
    Prevents Standby: Checked​
    MTU Adjust: UnChecked​
    HostApd Patch: UnChecked​
    Power Transmit Mgmt: Checked​
    LTE Tether Patch: UnChecked​
    No Disable Wifi: UnChecked​
    Under "Advanced Wif Settings" uncheck the "Always allow scanning"​
    If you are having problems losing connection try changing the WIFI Channel from 1 to 6 or from 6 to 1. Originally, I had to change the channel to 6 to eliminate disconnects. Worked great for months. Installed a recent Wifi Tether Router update (5/3/14) and had to change back to channel 1 to eliminate the disconnects.

NATIVE HOTSPOT SQLITE TELEPHONY.DB METHOD
    A working stable solution has been put together from a few posts on this thread. They include muddogknls in post 798, jdonmc1948 in post 818, and then finally stabalized by Cooljb in post 1140. This has been confirmed on at least NC6 and NG5; however, it will likely work on all 720T versions and it requires root on at least NG5 (may not need root on NC6 and older). This will likely work on OF1, OH1, and OK3 also, but it's currently unconfirmed.

Instructions:
    1) Download sqlite editor app from the app store.

2) Open the app and give it root permissions. It should populate a list.

3) Navigate to "/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/" and tap on the "telephony.db" file.

4) Tap "carriers".

5) Add dun parameter to "type" column of the last two entries (APN2 LTE internet and APN2 EHRPD internet), Do not allow a space between the comma and dun (i.e. default,mms,dun), and make sure "current" column is 1 for last 4 entries (see picture examples in post 1209). Finally, reboot and you will be good to go!

Note: If you perform an "Update Profile" or a factory reset in the future after doing this mod, it will overwrite/modify your telephony.db file, your native hotspot will likely become unstable after the next reboot, and you will have to perform these steps all over again to enable and/or stabalize your native hotspot.

APN METHOD
    oberon567 post 3275 confirms a third method of adding dun to your APN type (if your APN section is unlocked) so that it reads "default,supl,mms,dun". May need to reboot to take affect. oberon567 indicates that it is limited to connecting to only a single device at a time (at least for his carrier).

[COLOR=#00800]CUSTOM RECOVERY[/COLOR]
    Successful Custom Recovery tools posted so far include:
    1) philz 6.1.3.1 by bthorne79 post 41
    2) philz 6.30.2 by al4d post 413
    3) TWRP 2.7.0.1 by mogul420 post 459.

[COLOR=#00800]ROMS[/COLOR]
    Note: When flashing ROMs that are not fully compatible with the 720T. In some cases you go directly to Digital Roaming, but in others you might brick the device.

It has been reported that currently you will lose WiFi calling capability if you flash asop ROMs. So far, I have seen no confirmations of WiFi calling working on asop ROMS

In post #470, glassman326 has confirmed with photo evidence that while the startup spark graphic is lost when flashing a regular 720 rom, spark still works and is not actually lost (at least with the SlimKat NC6 ROM; however, this probably holds true for all 720 ROMs); however, you may be able to restore the spark graphic or actual spark (if it's really gone) by following the instructions in the MISC section below.

bthorne79 in post 3348 also confirms "Spark does work on aosp ROMs..." and "Octos has a spark tester and he gets his spark speeds also"

In post 3075, TheHumansAreDead confirms Blisspop v4.0.3 Official 20151112 jfltespr (Lollipop 5.1.1) runs as smooth as butter on our sph-l720t with 3G and LTE service on Ring+.

He had to edit the APN settings for Ring+ to get the data working and posted that info here.

Tap this for Official BlissPop thread

In post 1853 bthorne79 confirms every rom for aosp now with TW works on SPH-L720T.

In post #158, frukyyy confirms Sacs 4.3

daniel4653 in post 439 confirms most touch wiz Roms work with triband model.

bilgerryan in post 2261 and 2636 confirms this Wicked X ROM works on 720T.

FlashFire ROM for 720T credit muniz_ri post 2503.

Liquidsmooth Confirmed by captkang post 2764.

Tap here to download Stock Rooted Deodx ROMs credit bthorne79 post 1433.

antibiotic1 in post 1436 has figured out how to get C-ROM to work.

If you decide to use the cm12 rom you will want to go to post 2293 by tyxavier13 and download the fix he posted.

Per shadowcliffs post 1934 , the tw lollipop rom S4 Echoe Rom v42 works well on our l720t with the AEL kernel. You can even flash the ported Note 4 camera.

As working-non working status or issues should be modem specific shadowcliffs offers this on NG5 :
    1) ROMs working well:
    1.1) Stock NG5, OA3: :)
    1.2) [UNOFFICIAL][5.0.2][CM-12.0] CyanogenMod 12 for jfltespr (2015-01-26 / FINAL: Working
    1.3) [LXR22G][5.0.2] Team OctOs Oct-L: Working
    1.4) [OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod Nightly Builds for jfltespr
    Followings are reported working by others in this thread:
    1.5) C-Rom 7.1 (#78 ) : some issues where it says digital roaming sometimes. It didn't seem to be as good a connection for LTE as stock rom and it dropped to 3G more often.
    1.6) SuperS4 (#80): the newest SuperS4 does have the spark icon.
    1.7) BeanStalk ROM (4.4.4) : It's completely stable and has just about every possible customization baked right into the ROM including xposed installer.
    1.8 ) SlimKat ROM (4.4.4): keeps the ROM stock,only customize a little, always a rock solid ROM with exceptional support and almost perfect code.
    1.9) PacMan ROM (4.4.4):
    1.10) Mahdi ROM (says digital roaming instead of Sprint but works perfectly)

2) Roms Not working so well:
    2.1) Sacs_Custom_Rom_V3_NG2_9_24_14 : Wifi not working. ktoonez kernel fixes WiFi but with lag. The issue might be modem specific.
    2.2) [ROM] [ jfltespr ][ Feb 10 ] AICP - 8.0 - LP 5.0.2_r1 | OFFICIAL NIGHTLIES: Phone runs warm / battery drain
    2.3) 【5.0.1】Google Play Edition 【JFLTE-GPE】, 2-23-2015 build: Phone runs warm / battery drain
    (Below are reported by others)
    2.4) Triforce + ktoonez kernel to get the WiFi working: FC from time to time though.
    STOCK ROOTED ROMS
    From bthorne79: These are STOCK ROOTED BUILDS

DOWNLOADS
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=20593

The roms must be be flashed in custom recovey.
    How to flash rom
    1: Reboot phone to recovery
    2: Make a back up of current rom
    3: Wipe clean
    4:Flash rom
    5:Reboot and wait about 4-5 for boot to finish

How to flash modem
    Use Odin v3.09
    1: Untick Autoreboot
    2: Flash modem in the phone slot (CP)
    3: Reboot once again into Download Mode using (Vol Down plus Home button combi)
    4: Flash Modem once more
    5: Once done,unplug then reboot device manually.
    If this doesn't work, try repeating the flash process again while rebooting manually and with auto-reboot option turned off.

If you have a issue with wifi connetion make sure you are on the correct baseband.
    modems will be in the extra folder named with the firmware build along with stock boot.img, recovery and the NON_HLOS.bin(wifi fix)

Tap on these links below for some more great SPH-L720T rom threads:

Shaddowcliffs testing results of Roms for SPH-L720T thread

bthorne79 SPH-L720T stock roots roms thread

[COLOR=#00800]UNLOCKING FOR USE ON OTHER CARRIERS[/COLOR]
    The following unlock for overseas solution has been brought forward by kmani.k78 post 1355 and mkardash in post 1363.

Tap here to go to the unlock solution thread and follow the directions on post one.

aalyatim in post 1392 offers a unlocking solution for domestic use which apparently requires the user to downgrade the modem to MK5 first. MK5 modem can be found in the downloads section at the bottom of this OP. Also check out instructions from broad_st_bully post 1626.

You can also use Galaxy tools to perform a sim unlock.

In regards to galaxy tools, idone provided this wisdom: To use GSM outside the US it is as simple as pressing the unlock sim button in galaxy tools. If you want to use it in the US: only S4, Note 3, and Mega's(Mega's that haven't been updated to 4.4.x) can, but you also need to downgrade baseband (modem) to MK5 first, then navigate to UE SETTING & INFO>SETTING>PROTOCOL>GCF>[1] and reboot. For more information on How to get galaxy tools, go to the "NATIVE HOTSPOT GALAXY TOOLS APK METHOD" area in the HOTSPOT section of this op.

UNLOCKING YOUR APN's
    Use Galaxy Tools to change the sales code to XAS. This will unlock your APNs

[COLOR=#00800]TOGGLES[/COLOR]
    Including: MobileData & WiFiHotspot toggles.
    klabit87 in post 822 posted this as a working solution: .
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43042030
    See post 822 for more info.
    Note: Brightness toggle doesn't work on 720T and SmartPause toggle is already present on 720T stock.

...Or use Galaxy tools to turn the toggles on for you (requires root). For more information on How to get galaxy tools, go to the "NATIVE HOTSPOT GALAXY TOOLS APK METHOD" area in the HOTSPOT section of this op.

SURFING WHILE TALKING
    It is the sim/network that determines whether the phone is capable of simultaneous surf and talk. ATT sim which will switch you to the ATT network, will allow the phone to surf and talk. Same with a Verizon sim/network. The sprint sim/network does not support this.

Once you have a sprint sim installed and activated, you can only surf and talk when connected to wifi. The device will use your wifi for surfing and your cellular for phone call (if your WiFi calling is off). If you do not have a wifi connection, you cannot use cellular for simultaneous phone call and surfing on sprint sim/network.

Sprint representative advised me that Sprint is rolling out simultaneous cellular Talk and Surf capability sometime this month (September 2018). He said they are using VOIP technology to add this dual simultaneous cellular capability to their subscribers, and that it is a different method than what is used by AT&T and Verizon.

It is called Sprint Plus and its only available to android initially, and in select areas. My understanding is this software fix/enhancement is being pushed only to Galaxy S8 and newer devices initially.

Read this Sprint Plus web page:
    https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-calling-plus.html

[COLOR=#00800]MISC[/COLOR]
    HOW TO REPROVISION YOUR PHONE
    From your dial pad type ##72786#

LOST SPARK GRAPHIC AND SOME OTHER SPRINT SETTINGS
    When I upgraded to stock KitKat I lost my boot spark graphic. shadowswittness 506 and frukyyy in post 621 provided the location of an AOSP tool on the play store called customization refresh. Some sprint settings including spark can often be restored via this tool.

I downloaded and ran step one. It went through a series of boots, and (for whatever it's worth) it restored my spark boot graphic on the last reboot. I did not lose anything by running step one. I have no idea what happens on step two.

Not sure if this will work on flashed roms to restore the spark boot graphic.

BLOAT WARE LIST
    Here is one I found: "Safe to Remove Applications" for our Sprint GS4's List!

HOW TO HIDE YOUR UPGRADE NOTIFICATIONS
    If you want to stay on your current version and don't want see the upgrade notification until you are ready and toy are on kit Kat or lower, I recommend robtheslob's solution post #118 which uses the NotifyClean module with Xposed Framework to hide the notification. Here are the instructions:
    1. Download and Install NotifyClean and turn it on in the Xposed Framework.​
    2. Inside CleanNotify, tap "Google Services Framework" or "Google Play Services" depending on what version OS you are running.​
    3. Tap "System Update Downloaded". It should now be highlighted in red. If you don't see this choice, it means that you did not have NotifyClean installed prior to the upgrade notification firing/appearing. A notification has to fire once for NotifyClean to capture it. If you installed NotifyClean after receiving the update notification, reboot your phone a couple of times. This should cause the notification to re-fire and NotifyClean to capture it. At this point, you should now be able to go back into the module and see the System Update Downloaded under Google Play Services. Don't forget to tap it and turn it red. When it is in red, it is turned off.​
    4. Press the back button to back out of module and reboot.​
    NOTE: You can go back into NotifyClean at any time in the future, unhide the upgrade notification, reboot, and upgrade to NG5 when you are ready.​
    HOW TO GET TO SERVICE MODE MENU
    (from kskh post 862)
    *#0011#
    Menu > Back
    Menu > keyInput "Q"
    Menu > keyInput "0000"
    Wait for few seconds

There is a beta xposed framework for lollipop that may allow notify clean to work on lollipop. We have no confirmations though.

Here is another solution. It's called Disable notifications credit frukyyy post 2784. Note: This solution may hide other Google Play service notifications for other apps or all your apps, but is should work on all android versions.

OTHER CODES
    ##3282# resets data > fuzzybuffalo post 2242
    ##72786# resets network, but might prompt for MSL code > fuzzybuffalo post 2242

MOBILE ODIN
    From shadowcliffs post 2183, here is how to get mobile odin to work.

Just set ro.product.model to SPH-L720 in build.prop. It looks like:

ro.product.model=SPH-L720

Save, reboot, then mobile odin will recognize the device and start downloading what it needs.

[COLOR=#00800]ODIN BASICS[/COLOR]
    BL = Bootloader
    AP = PDA/Firmware
    CP = Phone/Modem/Baseband

[COLOR=#00800]DOWNLOADS [/COLOR]
    Samsung Odin Tutorial credit bthorne79 post 1508

XDA Odin Guide

Samsung Odin credit to fuzzybuffalo #2668.

Stock no-root OD2 tar for those who don't want to wait for a long Sam-mobile download credit MexPwrEng post 2749

USB Drivers credit to daisflaque post 689

Samsung Kies

All Stock Firmwares

Firmware Faster Downloads by bthorne79 post 2701

Stock rooted busybox deodx MK5 zip from bthorne credit bthorne79 post 1663. Use a custom recovery to flash.

Chainfires new SuperSu forum credit bigsamda1st

NC6>NG5 OTA credit Jshugzda post 928. Use stock recovery to flash.

OA3>OD2 OTA credit FivePiece post 2507

Deodexed OH1 credit emkeene post 3100

FULL OH1 Firmware credit Kjricker post 2847

Xposed Framework Installer

Stock NC6 Kernel credit 2WhiteWolves post 1126

NC6 MODEM credit bthorne79 post 1340. Modems go in CP/phone slot in ODIN.

MK5 MODEM .bin file post credit BradGrenz and broad_st_bully post 1623

NG5 & NC6 Odin modems and the Stock Rooted Deodx ROMs credit bthorne79 post 1433. Modems go in phone slot in ODIN. Use a custom recovery to flash ROMs.

Stock Odin recovery for ng5 credit bthorne79 post 2056

OA3 stock root and all other files(modem recovery and few others) credit bthorne79

[COLOR=#00800]THANKS[/COLOR]
    Let me end by saying thank you to all you developers and senior members for all your hard work. We can not appreciate you enough.

Any feed back is always appreciated.

[COLOR=#00800]CONCLUSION[/COLOR]
    Though I am a certified techy with many years of experience in the computer and network world, this is my first Android phone, and I had everything to learn about Android and my Samsung phone. As I began to read and try to learn everything about something I knew nothing about, I realized that I never completely understood what I was reading, because things were never fully explained, often assumed a prior knowledge, and were spread out all over the net in different threads and different forms. If I was gonna catch up fast and learn what I needed to learn about my 720T, I determined that I needed to draw every SPRINT 720T user to one place (as much as is possible), and that gave birth to the XDA "EVERYTHING SPRINT Galaxy S4 Model SPH-L720T" thread and the concept of this OP. I figured this would really help me and others, and for me, it has been a real success.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a thread like this for all phone models? If you use another phone and are just stopping by, feel free to copy the OP layout and start a thread like this for your phone.

If you like having an "All Things SPH-L720T" thread, please click thanks. :)
    Not completly without help.. ;)

So I've been busting my bottom on our triband varient..
    I've obtained a working Odin for stock 4.4.2 NC6 (No root yet) And I'm working on a rooted stock Odin.. eta... ehh 48-72hrs.

I've made tutorials for rooting and putting recoverys/roms on it. I have tested sparks capabilities on several AOSP roms. Have even posted a screenshot of speedtest.net and the 58MBPS download speeds. Post #6.. spark-not-lost-guys.

I have made a pic by pic tutorial on flashing a recovery and or rom for our device.. here.. flash-custom-recovery-rom-720-720t.

I have been hosting the latest Odin .tar for the 4.4.2 NC6 update stock NOT ROOTED.
    And I am not far away from finishing a rooted stock Odin tar.. Here... L720t-4-4-2-odin-return-stock-without-root.

I even made a 'low quality' 3 part video root tutorial for our device.. found on YouTube and full tutorial at... video-root-tutorial-l720t-l720-sprint..

Other than all this I am currently making a complete 'return to stock' flashable zip for all those TW lovers everywhere..

To be completely honest. I am no developer.. (although I am hoping to start the long haul of becoming one.)
    I created a few themes and made them CWM/TWRP flashable.. and I have loads of SQL, Java and C++ programming skills.

Second I am a father of three and own a PC repair Business. So I am very busy during days.. so I utilize my nights.. and the lack of sleep can catch up quick.. I'm sure you all can relate.. :p.

I am open to a mutual hangouts where we can all congregate and put our two cents in.. lol lend some knowledge.. XD
    Either send a private message to me with your email so I can add ya or look at post number 5 here... L720t-4-4-2-odin-return-stock-.

I could always use some help on this.. I feel like I might be the first and or only one to plug this bad boy into adb and start pulling partitions and making progress for us all.. ;)

Probably completely wrong there.. :p

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

I have been taking, categorizing and preparing Screenshots of my 'Settings.apk/About Phone' info while swapping Roms. Because of the lack of reports in tested roms. So soon I'll post a very in-depth list of..

1. Screenies for as many different custom Roms as I can..

2. Screenies for different combinations of Kernels and Roms..

3. Any tips/fixes for a specific feature/issue I've encountered.. whilst on said Rom/Kernel.

Thx guys. :)
    International unlock

I have successfully unlocked SPH-L720T using the following app.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzkFD1TXlowVTmFMdjNOaGYxRUE&authuser=0
    The above app created using the ideas from Sprint S5 unlock discussion thread. Especially from aalyatim, tewilove , ecs87 & others. Thanks for their great help & discovering this bug/flaw/option.
    Hope this helps others also.
    Thanks.
    OD2 Update URL

Finally! I was able to pull the OTA update URL for OD2 if anyone is interested...

http://android.clients.google.com/p...65.USER_L720T_SPT_BOA3_to_COD2_Update_FWD.zip