[Q] Low-res (bad quality) lockscreen wallpaper -- How to change it?

Search This thread

kebong

Jan 6, 2011
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
As you guys might have noticed, whenever you set a wallpaper using the default android gallery, it kinda compresses it and results in a low quality version of the pic as your wallpaper. I've found a workaround for this by using apps from the market to set my wallpaper with BUT all of those apps can only change my homescreen wallpaper and NOT the lockscreen wallpaper.

So my question is if any of you guys can tell me how to manually change my lockscreen wallpaper? I have a rooted device 2.3.5 btw. Thanks.

kebong

Jan 6, 2011
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
No, I know how to change the lockscreen wallpaper. But like I've said, when you use that way, it lowers the quality of the picture you use. If I use a hi-def photo and set it as my lockscreen wallpaper, the quality loss is very obvious. Which is why I was asking if there was a workaround for this.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
When you're about to change the wallpaper and the square box pops up, tap it and expand it.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

spkrs01

Nov 15, 2011
get a suitable hd wallpaper from the internet then save picture to gallery. When you set wallpaper to lockscreen choose gallery, find pic you have d/l and crop it accordingly. Remember to get the highest resolution wallpaper.

Hope the above helps

Oct 19, 2010
St. Petersburg
no, that's not it either. regardless of how you crop it, if you use the default gallery app, the resulting wallpaper is compressed thus the quality loss
+1 to the question!!!
I wanna use the same wallpaper on the lockscreen & on the my launcher. I choose the picture, set it up as my wallpaper - in the laucher it's absolutely ok, but in the locksreen there are a lot of strange lines (bright & dark) over the wallpaper.

spkrs01

Nov 15, 2011
you need a wallpaper of atleast 1600*1000 resolution. If you can find one with an even higher resolution, better still.

Just follow instructions of my earlier post

kenninaz

Jan 26, 2011
anyone knows where the default wallpapers are saved to? cant seem to find the default lock screen wallpaper (of the pen and notebook)...

bedspringlex

Oct 3, 2010
low resolution for a purpose

do you think the lock screen uses a lower resolution for a reason. that screen basically is displayed for just a few seconds and kinda floats on top of an already high resolution main screen. just a theory that it's supposed to be lower quality graphic.

holgalee

Dec 20, 2010
You can use Quickpic which is free on the market to set the lockscreen. I don't see any reduction of resolution.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

Reactions: ezpac and kebong

kebong

Jan 6, 2011
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
again guys, the issue is not with the cropping or with the image quality i'm using. it's with android gallery app compressing the picture i want to use.

@holgalee
thanks, that was exactly what i was looking for!

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
How about WidgetLocker? A guy posted a screenshot of his completely black background that didn't have any of the ugliness many are reporting of. But it costs money, and i don't know how you feel about apps that cost money, but you're holding a device that cost almost $1000 :p

roucoups

May 23, 2008
same problem here.
tried to have a black background on the lockscreen.
tried with a 1200x1600 bmp, png and jpg...
always the same ugly green and black stripes

none of that with galaxy s1 and s2, just with the galaxy note

what can i do to have full black background? dont want to use crappy alternative lockscreen, want to use the native android lockscreen

jezza333

Jun 12, 2010
same problem here.
tried to have a black background on the lockscreen.
tried with a 1200x1600 bmp, png and jpg...
always the same ugly green and black stripes

none of that with galaxy s1 and s2, just with the galaxy note

what can i do to have full black background? dont want to use crappy alternative lockscreen, want to use the native android lockscreen
I had the same issue on my S2; completely stupid really. Now I have my lockscreen wallpaper automatically change when I modify my [active] wallpaper.

The Gallery app needs to be fixed.

gasolin

Jan 19, 2011
It's still crap on the note 2, anyone who's found a solution?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2012
If it is the black clipping problem? Note shows lockscreen wallpaper a bit darker than normal wallpaper so theres possibility you only notice it on lockscreen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Turning off "Ripple Effect" in Lock Screen Option will make lockscreen quality same as home screen.
    You can use Quickpic which is free on the market to set the lockscreen. I don't see any reduction of resolution.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App
    Menu-setting-display-screen display-lockscreen-wallpaper