Google wallet fix for SGS3 US variants AT&T, T-MOBILE, US Cellular, VERIZON, etc

Search This thread

ogdobber

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2008
Nope. Stock rom, just debloated some myself and some other apps frozen.
maybe a typo on the build.prop edit? It has been confirmed working on stock

*edit you must either use root explorer to edit or pull/push it and edit on computer
ES explorer was hammermans problem (it does not save correctly), and not Diet rom

Last edited:

ogdobber

Nov 4, 2008
I can get google wallet to accept the phone, however, NFC no longer shows in my settings

like I said, for aokp you need cm9 nfc libs. when you try to use samsung libs, it breaks your nfc on your cm9 based rom (not build.prop related)

nandroid back back to your orig aokp and then just push the wallet app to system/app, most likely it already has the correct libs...if not it will hang on activating, if it does that, grab the libs from a cm9 rom and you will be good

FreydNot

Jun 21, 2010
Seattle
I would be surprised if the CM9 NFC libs support the USA versions of the Galaxy S3. Is the necessary NFC source code available to compile against?

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
Was about to make these instructions, as I promised last night in the other thread as I made it work on my Canadian Rogers version few days ago. Simply did not have time.
Difference being I used latest nfc apk from i9300 version and just copied it over with root explorer. That takes care of getting stuck at first screen. The modded wallet apk although does not check the country still will not add the card without using market enabler, switched to tmobile or sprint from Canada and elsewhere in the world.
If it still errors out on adding card, the htc_jewel build.prop edit is needed as well cause there are reports that wallet is down or blacklisted for sgs3 except for sprint version.

Good job ogdobber!

Sent from my GT-I9300

Last edited:
Reactions: ogdobber
G

GuestD0746

Will the CM9 libs work for the international model? And if so, could someone please provide a link and brief instructions? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
Will the CM9 libs work for the international model? And if so, could someone please provide a link and brief instructions? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

R u running cm9 or stock. If on stock UK or French latest firmware (xxlfb) , you don't need libraries, nfc apk has already been upgraded on that one. You just need build.prop edit if in states and market enabler if outside.

Sent from my GT-I9300

G

GuestD0746

I'm running stock, not exactly sure which firmware version. Full name is I9300TDUALF2_I9300TTELALF2_I9300TDULF2_HOME. Thanks for your help

meccanikal

Oct 22, 2010
like I said, for aokp you need cm9 nfc libs. when you try to use samsung libs, it breaks your nfc on your cm9 based rom (not build.prop related)

nandroid back back to your orig aokp and then just push the wallet app to system/app, most likely it already has the correct libs...if not it will hang on activating, if it does that, grab the libs from a cm9 rom and you will be good

My NFC works fine but google wallet won't accept my device. I change the build.prop file and google wallet works but can't accept the terms and conditions because NFC is off. I go and try to turn them on and NFC is gone from my settings.

Using htc_jewel as the device name

ogdobber

Nov 4, 2008

you need to be running LFB (or get the libs from that rom), Pauls wallet apk, and also the build.prop edit was necessary for me to get it working on the I9300

ogdobber

Nov 4, 2008
I'm running stock, not exactly sure which firmware version. Full name is I9300TDUALF2_I9300TTELALF2_I9300TDULF2_HOME. Thanks for your help

thats LF2, you will need to update to LFB or just the nfc libs from it

*edit system/lib
open the zip on the op to see which ones

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
Yeah lf2 gets stuck on first screen just like hlnorth American versions. Upgrade to xxlfb from sam firmwares or i9300 general section sticky with Odin or Mobile Odin (even better to avoid loosing root).

Sent from my GT-I9300

G

GuestD0746

That would work for me? Would be very thankful if you could.
I can't really upgrade to a different firmware due to having a low download quota.

meccanikal

Oct 22, 2010
Running AOKP: Flashing the zip in this thread breaks NFC but allows Wallet to pass the first step, all the way to agreeing to the terms and condition, but can't activate because no NFC. Changing the build.prop doesn't break NFC but google wallet still doesn't work.

G

GuestD0746

I've done everything in the op, but am having the same issue as mechanical.

ogdobber

Nov 4, 2008
Running AOKP: Flashing the zip in this thread breaks NFC but allows Wallet to pass the first step, all the way to agreeing to the terms and condition, but can't activate because no NFC. Changing the build.prop doesn't break NFC but google wallet still doesn't work.

this is not for AOKP, CM9, or ANY other aosp based rom.
It will break NFC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Understanding google wallet

the new google wallet is now available on ALL devices, however the "tap and pay" feature isn't
    the tap and pay feature is officially only supported on the following devices
    Phones

HTC One on Sprint
    HTC One SV on Boost Mobile
    HTC EVO 4G LTE on Sprint
    LG Viper 4G LTE on Sprint
    LG Viper 4G LTE on Zact Mobile
    LG Optimus Elite on Sprint
    LG Optimus Elite on Virgin Mobile
    LG Optimus Elite on Zact Mobile
    LG Nexus 4*
    Motorola Moto X on Sprint
    Motorola Moto X on US Cellular
    Samsung Galaxy Note II on Sprint
    Samsung Galaxy Note II on US Cellular
    Samsung Galaxy SIII on Sprint
    Samsung Galaxy SIII on MetroPCS
    Samsung Galaxy SIII on US Cellular
    Samsung Galaxy SIII on Virgin Mobile
    Samsung Galaxy SIII on Boost Mobile
    Samsung Galaxy S4 on Sprint
    Samsung Galaxy S4 on US Cellular
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition*
    Samsung Nexus S 4G on Sprint
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Sprint
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus*
    Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE on Sprint
    Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE on Virgin Mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Axiom on US Cellular
    Tablets

ASUS Nexus 7 (2012)
    ASUS Nexus 7 3G (2012)*
    Samsung Nexus 10

other phone can support tap and pay.... they just need a work around

for google wallet (TAP) to work first your nfc libs need to be correct (smx enabled)
    and second the google servers need to see that your phone is supported for the initial setup (build.prop edit)

for example, if you have an AT&T galaxy s3, the smx (most likely) is not enabled because they want you to use ISIS (which uses the secure element in the sim card)
    We cannot compile the att version of touchwiz because we have no source, we can take the correct libs from a sprint gs3 to use on an att phone (see lib fix below)

When trying to get wallet to work on a new device/rom take the following steps
    1-instal wallet from play or side load. Set up and see if tap and pay is enabled. if no, see step 2
    2-change build.prop to galaxy nexus (see below) uninstall wallet then reboot and repeat step 1. if no, see step 3
    3-run a logcat while opening wallet and look for "wallet" , "nfc" , and "smx" . Most likely at this point you need a (lib fix) In other words, you need the smx enabled libraries and corresponding files from a supported device. flash appropriate files (see lib fix zip) and start at 1
    4-once google wallet TAP is working, the build.prop can be reverted, but sometimes is will break wallet (TAP) and it might take a couple times for success. keeping the build.prop as galaxy nexus has no real side effects (I currently have a sony galaxy nexus ;))

old wallet fix
    *The lib&nfc fix is intended touchwiz roms
    For CM9/10,aokp, and any other aosp rom, just flash the desired version wallet as the libs and nfc apk are correct

latest Wallet version 1.5-r87-v15 changelog
    where google wallet works
    Google wallet (rom) compatibly list
    to contribute here is the google wallet compatibly list thread

Ok, first a little background

basically what you are seeing if you try to install google wallet on at&t, tmo, etc, is you get stuck on "activating device"
    If you dig a little further and ran a logcat, you will see that there it no "SMX detected"

What this means, when compiling the rom you need to enable SmartMX in the config headers located in the external/libnfc-nxp library. (thats why it works on CM9/10, they do this)
    this is impossible for us because there is no source for samsung's TouchWiz. We got a break on the international sgs3 as the latest update has the secure element enabled...so does the sprint sgs3

well that got me thinking, and of course sprint's nfc libs are close enough to work without breaking anything

so this is how to do it. (btw, you need root)
    1-make a nandroid! I am not responsible if you mess up your device
    2-edit you build.prop using root explorer (when you press save, it creates a build.prop.bak)
    do not use ES explorer, it does not save correctly, for that matter ONLY use root explorer! (or adb push/pull)
    /system/build.prop
    preferred
    Code:
    ro.product.model=Galaxy Nexus
    ro.product.name=yakju 
    ro.product.device=maguro
    or
    Code:
    ro.product.model=htc_jewel
    ro.product.name=htc_jewel
    ro.product.device=htc_jewel

3-If you already have Wallet installed...open wallet, go to settings and "reset google wallet" (if it hangs at 99%, reboot and continue with steps)
    (if you are (re)installing a new rom, this applies too...reset google wallet from within app)
    4-boot to recovery and flash SGS3-TW-US_variants-lib&nfc-fix.zip for ics touchwiz roms or SGS3-TW-US_variants-lib_nfc-fix-jellybean_4.1-1.zip for jellybean touchwiz roms and then wallet version com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel.modaco.1.5-r87-v15.zip
    (for CM9/10, I9300, aokp, aosp roms just flash the wallet zip)
    5-reboot device, you will get "android is updating" (only this first boot)(all apps)
    6-open google wallet and sign in. add your personal credit cards (you must add them from your desktop first if you have never used google checkout before)
    7-(optional)if you get "error adding card try again later", wipe cache and davlik cache from recovery (only once! it sometimes takes hours, not minutes)
    8-profit (hold on! your not done, continue on to steps 9 & 10)
    9-after it is all up and running (meaning cards added), mount r/w in root explorer, delete the modded build.prop, then rename build.prop.bak to build.prop
    10-make a new nandroid with working wallet and put it in a safe place in case you ever accidentally install a new ROM without resetting google wallet data.

still confused, here is a video of how to do it by moonfire711
    step by step upgrading to jellybean and adding wallet for verizon here

>Special thanks to Hammermann, he did a ton of nandroids! He confirmed for me that the sprint nfc libs worked
    >Special thanks to WarlockLord we now have success on verizon
    >thanks to mobilehavoc for the galaxy nexus build.prop tip
    >thanks to magn2o for patching the new wallet (until paul returned)
    >thanks to FreydNot for for the above tip and for being brave enough to be the first to flash this to his tmobile sgs3
    >thanks to chris.ayoubtexas, the first att user with success (beat out Hammerman because ES explorer was screwing him)
    >thanks to Maldewka for installing and confirming functionality on US Cellular
    >thanks to Paul at Modoco for the modded google wallet apk<<<Paul's thread

notes*
    -if you have used google wallet on another device, your prepaid card on the sgs3 is not the same...so balances will not carry over on the prepaid card prepaid is finished
    -despite the new cloud-based authentication system, the app does not require the phone to have a data connection to make payments at NFC-equipped terminals
    -really the key to this fix is the libs with the security element enabled.
    -the build.prop edit is for enabling cards, once they are enabled it can be reverted
    -the wallet apk has 3 features patched out. The first was a device check, the second patch was an operator check and the third patch was removing the root warning
    -NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER RESTORE GOOGLE WALLET WITH TITANIUM BACKUP! (please click link on step 10)

original build.prop values for at&t
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
    ro.product.name=d2uc
    ro.product.device=d2att
    original build.prop values for t-mobile
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SGH-T999
    ro.product.name=d2tmo
    ro.product.device=d2tmo
    original build.prop values for US Cellular
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SCH-R530U
    ro.product.name=d2usc
    ro.product.device=d2usc
    original build.prop values for verizon
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SCH-I535
    ro.product.name=d2vzw
    ro.product.device=d2vzw
    original build.prop values for Telus, Rogers, Bell
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SGH-I747M
    ro.product.name=d2vl
    ro.product.device=d2can
    original build.prop values for Wind Mobile
    Code:
    ro.product.model=SGH-T999V
    ro.product.name=d2vw
    ro.product.device=d2can

stop! if you are unclear of what to download, read the instructions again
    newest files are at the bottom[/HIDE]
    Bing Bang Boom: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5084138/2013-09-18 03.27.57.png
    This is a modified version that does not require editing your build.prop!
    It will probably work on any device. The only thing you might have issues with is the nfc.

Try the following:
    1. Force Stop on Wallet app
    2. Clear Cache and Clear Data on Wallet app (in Application manager)
    3. Delete all traces of it from both locations /system/app and /data/app/ (might be called Wallet.apk too)
    4. Reboot
    5. [OPTIONAL] Flash a fresh version of your AOSP-based ROM (no wipe required)***
    6. Push the apk from this link and set the permissions (DO NOT OPEN IT YET!!)
    7. Reboot
    8. Open the Wallet app and set everything up
    9. Check what Tap and Pay says in "About" section of the app
    10. Confirm what happens on transaction
    ***Note*** If the ROM your are flashing is TouchWiz-based for step 5 you need to flash one of the below for your device BEFORE step 6 and then continue.

For Galaxy S3: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1943165&d=1367940081
    For Galaxy S4: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2006809&d=1370008832

Details/How you can do it to:
    I grep'd the smali folder looking for Landroid/os/Build and replaced almost every model, product, device, fingerprint with a string of what it would return from a Nexus 4 build.prop.
    So this:
    Code:
    sget-object v0, Landroid/os/Build;->MODEL:Ljava/lang/String;
    was replaced with this:
    Code:
    const-string v0, "Nexus 4"
    The only ones I didn't replace were in user feedback and about.

NOTE: Please share this as much as you'd like, but please give me credit. I've spent far too many hours on this.
    ANOTHER NOTE: If you get "Insufficient Privileges - blah blah (release-keys)" then you need to find an nfc fix for your device.

EDIT: I updated the apk and used a maguro (Galaxy Nexus) build.prop and changed every reference to build.prop, except sdk/version numbers. I personally tested a transaction and it went through successfully.
    I went ahead and patched the latest wallet version and removed the root check, carrier check and device check. This isn't my work. I simply diff'd modaco version and applied the same mods to the latest version.

It's working fine on my device (SGH-I747).

Download!

* edit: APK has been repacked with compression.
    Changed the lines, forced stop, cleared the data, deleted the com.google.android.apps.wallet folder in /data/data, rebooted and it went through. I am not sure that all the other steps were necessary but I did so just in case there was a trigger stored in a data file somewhere.

Ok, so there is hope! I'm building a new one right now. I changed everything to the maguro build.prop and I modified ALL instances of model, product, device, id, etc. inlcuding in About and User Feedback.

EDIT: Here's the new apk for anybody to try. I can't test transactions at the moment. You can just overwrite the system app, but I would suggest clearing data for wallet and then overwriting.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2266586&d=1379530246
    I might have this working on 4.3. Tap and pay is setup and ready to use, but it's 2am and I'm not going to 7-11 to test right now. I'll make my wife walk with me tomorrow morning. If everything goes well, I'll upload.

If you've used @dannyben's fix you'll know about the nfc payment has stopped (at least that's what I think it was) error message. That's because he used AOSP based files, whereas mine is modified TW files so no popups.