Anyone switch from a Nexus 5?

Search This thread

turdbogls

so, I have the oppertunity to trade my Nexus 5 for a G2. I am wondering if anyone else made the same switch?

my main concern is loosing wireless charging and the whole update thing.

I LOVE being able to flash an almost 100% stable version of the latest update the day it gets announced. but it goes without saying, that I WILL be rooting/ROMing this thing. as long as I can get CM11 on it at the very least, I will be happy software wise I think.

I am pretty happy with the battery life and camera and build quality/size of the N5, as well as the screen. I really dont have much reason to switch other than the larger storage (16GB now), better camera, and better screen.

so, to anyone that has made the switch, what do you miss, and what don't you miss about the swap?

lonz358

Feb 22, 2012
I miss the way it feels n hand the most. Nexus 5 has a better build quality to me. But double the storage(had the 16gb) and better battery was enough for me to switch.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398705394760.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398705394760.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 660
  • uploadfromtaptalk1398705404035.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398705404035.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:

hamad138

Mar 3, 2012
The G2 has better display,speaker,battery and the camera.

Were also on 4.4, i say switch

nexicon

Aug 2, 2011
Kansas CIty
I have both. Using the g2 now. Missed it. Unfortunately rooting with a freaking 4.4.2 Rom is near impossible w/o white lines. I've given up

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

gummybear00

Jul 8, 2012
Someone said Nexus 5 had better build quality? Must be on crack or something. Same manufacturer, one phone sells for $300 less than the other, and somehow LG magically had extra money to put in better quality parts? The parts for the Nexus 5 are about as dirt-cheap as LG could've made them. The screen, most importantly, is abysmal.

I had a Nexus 5 for 2 weeks. Returned it due to crap build quality, low battery life, and no native double-tap to wake. If you think the build quality of the Nexus 5 is fine for you, then only the battery and double-tap are the pluses.

Going to G2 you get:
- much better premium screen
- phone feels better-built, more solid
- double tap to wake & buttons on back
- long battery life
- back of the phone is smooth (slippery)

You lose:
- Nexus 5 HDR+ camera (takes crisper pics than G2)
- lots of custom roms you can easily flash
- Nexus 5 software runs much faster despite having the same hardware

The ROMs for the G2 aren't that developed. Not many developers and they're not as polished as Nexus's roms. This is because the base LG rom is bloated, (2.3gb os vs 300mb Nexus os) and LG/Samsung make it harder to use recovery or flash roms.

Since I rarely flash roms, it's not a problem.

Don't miss: With G2 you never worry about charging your phone. I can run it for 2+ days w/o charging. Screen is wayyyyyyyy better & a bit bigger. G2 is a phone for the fit and forget. N5 is a phone for the fiddlers.

Reactions: ChrisM75

lonz358

Feb 22, 2012
Someone said Nexus 5 had better build quality? Must be on crack or something. Same manufacturer, one phone sells for $300 less than the other, and somehow LG magically had extra money to put in better quality parts? The parts for the Nexus 5 are about as dirt-cheap as LG could've made them. The screen, most importantly, is abysmal.

I had a Nexus 5 for 2 weeks. Returned it due to crap build quality, low battery life, and no native double-tap to wake. If you think the build quality of the Nexus 5 is fine for you, then only the battery and double-tap are the pluses.

Going to G2 you get:
- long battery life

You lose:

The ROMs for the G2 aren't that developed. Not many developers and they're not as polished as Nexus's roms. This is because the base LG rom is bloated, (2.3gb os vs 300mb Nexus os) and LG/Samsung make it harder to use recovery or flash roms.

Don't miss: With G2 you never worry about charging your phone. I can run it for 2+ days w/o charging. Screen is wayyyyyyyy better & a bit bigger. G2 is a phone for the fit and forget. N5 is a phone for the fiddlers.

I'm on crack because I think the nexus 5 has better build quality? lol...the soft touch back on the nexus 5 just feel better than cheap slippery plastic. I'm not talking about what's inside.

mgolder

Jun 21, 2010
Chorley
I have both. Using the g2 now. Missed it. Unfortunately rooting with a freaking 4.4.2 Rom is near impossible w/o white lines. I've given up

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Rooting on my 4.4.2. was as simple as using ioroot, with no issues caused at all. Saying it is near impossible is a bit extreme.

ECrispy

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
I will have to agree that the soft touch back on the N5 (only on black, not on white/red) is a very nice feel.

Also can someone comment on speed/smoothness in G2 vs N5? I have a feeling LG Optimus UI is causing lag, even in KK, and slowing things down. I only played with a N5 briefly but everything was instant.

AOSP roms on the G2 just aren't stable enough and you lose a lot of features like the great camera.

lonz358

Feb 22, 2012
I will have to agree that the soft touch back on the N5 (only on black, not on white/red) is a very nice feel.

Also can someone comment on speed/smoothness in G2 vs N5? I have a feeling LG Optimus UI is causing lag, even in KK, and slowing things down. I only played with a N5 briefly but everything was instant.

AOSP roms on the G2 just aren't stable enough and you lose a lot of features like the great camera.

Nexus 5 is defiantly faster but not by much. Had the N5 for months then gave it to my gf and got the G2. Every now n then I pick it up just to experience the fluidness again.

Ltilt2

Sep 1, 2010
Los Angeles
Here are 2 ss on my D800 running Dr.'s latest 4.4.2 aosp beta rom. I think its pretty good uploadfromtaptalk1398721863102.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398721878168.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Tagilso

Oct 26, 2010
I had both.
Nexus 5 has better touchscreen (by far mooore sensitive), louder speaker, it's faster and has big big support from community.
G2 has incredible battery and display, but poor plastics and the speaker is just ok. Personally dont like rear buttons and i think knock-on is far to be perfect.
I dont care about photos.

Inviato dal mio LG-D802 utilizzando Tapatalk

djoni_gitara

Apr 9, 2012
Slavonski Brod - Zagreb
youtu.be
I made a switch from n5 to lg g2 and I feel better now. n5 for me is pure crap, it feels like a toy. I get g2 for the same price (change it), and from that point neither the price is not on the nexus side.
With g2 I've got ten times better batery, better screen (way better in daylight), better hardware (yes, on n5 problems with signal reception, speakers, mic etc..)
and better build quality, like I said nexus is and it feels like a toy.
and yeah, I rooted and flashed custom rom in a about first ten minutes I've get the g2, and I have perfectly stable device in wich I can trust, and usualy I am switching rom but here there is no point everything is perfect. On nexus5 I've flashed all roms avilable and didnt find the perfect one lol, seriously :)

cheers

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 10maxbor

turdbogls

Thanks for the replys guys.

Like I said, I am actually pretty happy with the battery life on my N5....it easily gets me though a full day as long as I'm not streaming music for extended periods of time. If I dont play any music, I can get 4 hours of SoT while on HSPA/LTE and about 5 on Wifi....I usually only need about 3 max.

My main draw is just to have something different I guess. I have been on Nexus devices (Gn-nex then N5) for 2.5 years now. I am in love with the screen on the G2, the bottom headphone jack is a HUGE plus to me, the battery will be nice for when I DO stream music all day, and the overall feel of the G2 is pretty awesome IMO.

my main concerns are the software and update schedule....but I guess I always have my Nexus 7 (2013) to have that vanilla experience. I have been reading about AOSP ROMs and seems they aren't quite there with stability, But if i could run an LG build but have it LOOK like AOSP (AOSP nav and status bar icons, as well as a clean notification shade) I think I would be pretty happy. I really want it to be about 95% AOSP but leave in the nice LG stuff.

kewkie

Dec 27, 2012
I LOVE my G2! There's only one phone i would change for it: Mi3 :D

But honestly, i'm really really happy with my G2. The custom rom support is.. okay-ish, there are a bunch of stock and even CM/AOSP roms out there. It's only hard to find the right one. The longest rom i used was CM (temasek build) - 15-16 days without any issue or reboot etc. Currently testing stock rom again, but already missing the vanilla look and performance.

Batterylife is awesome, camera is fine (i think on stock its a little bit better? Dont know.. i dont take that much pictures), performance is great either on stock or CM/AOSP, speaker quality is "fine", came from HTC One m7 so.. well its.. fine :D

Cant say much to N5 but i've read good reviews and some guys told me its a good phone also

Godra

Jan 11, 2011
Mostar
Can anyone tell me what about storage? How much do you have on N5 and how much on G2 (on 16 Gb models)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yep i had the g2, switched to n5 for the rom customization... and came right back.. the battery on this phone makes it all worth it !

Going to G2 you get:
    - long battery life

You lose:

I made a switch from n5 to lg g2 and I feel better now. n5 for me is pure crap, it feels like a toy. I get g2 for the same price (change it), and from that point neither the price is not on the nexus side.
    With g2 I've got ten times better batery, better screen (way better in daylight), better hardware (yes, on n5 problems with signal reception, speakers, mic etc..)
    and better build quality, like I said nexus is and it feels like a toy.
    and yeah, I rooted and flashed custom rom in a about first ten minutes I've get the g2, and I have perfectly stable device in wich I can trust, and usualy I am switching rom but here there is no point everything is perfect. On nexus5 I've flashed all roms avilable and didnt find the perfect one lol, seriously :)

cheers

Can anyone tell me what about storage? How much do you have on N5 and how much on G2 (on 16 Gb models)

both around 11 GB. so not that much of a difference.
    Hi, which is the rom you are using that is so good? AOSP or custom LG?
    I'm still on stock (2 days!!) and not decided yet what and if to flash.

cloudy flex 2.0 (didnt flash 2.1 because I didnt notice any bug or whatsoever with 2.0 but will try it soon) with simple kernel v5, tweaked with trickster, nova launcher and thats it :)
    also there is a mahdi rom if you like nexus like which was very good for me. I play with that rom when I have a time, keeping backup and it is easy to switch...