2 questions regarding a new Cyanogen Mod installation with Safestrap

Search This thread

TheAndroid1

May 1, 2014
  1. How do I make my stock partition smaller, or remove it completely to give to my Cyanogen Mod slot?
  2. What values would I edit in the build.prop file for a Razr Maxx with Verizon?

Thanks a lot!

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
  1. How do I make my stock partition smaller, or remove it completely to give to my Cyanogen Mod slot?
  2. What values would I edit in the build.prop file for a Razr Maxx with Verizon?

Thanks a lot!
1. You can just wipe stock slot and install CM on it. You have to do it fresh and not restore a backup from another slot.
2. Why do you need to edit your build.prop?

TheAndroid1

May 1, 2014
1. You can just wipe stock slot and install CM on it. You have to do it fresh and not restore a backup from another slot.
2. Why do you need to edit your build.prop?

1. Is there another way to take space from the default slot and give it to the CM slot without having to reset it?
2. Because I need to download some carrier-specific/manufacturer apps that have all of my contacts.

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
1. Is there another way to take space from the default slot and give it to the CM slot without having to reset it?
2. Because I need to download some carrier-specific/manufacturer apps that have all of my contacts.

1. No, stock slot, is stock slot... all of that is predetermined space of the partition... If you have titanium backup Pro and a custom launcher... all you will really lose is time. Make sure you are saving to ext. sd just to be safe, backup your user apps, backup again for modified data, and you are fine. For the custom launcher, save your setup. After you flash over, restore. Depending on what/how much you have it could take a couple hours... some games that require extra data, you will still have to download it but, your progress should still be there. Double check if it is a game, as some of them only save via a cloud.

2. I may be ignorant to your particular situation/apps, but, if your previous device was a an android device, and you saved your contacts to your google I.D. they should be waiting for you, when you reactivate from the wipe/flash. When I got my first droid years ago, I was coming from a crappy flip phone from att, they were able to flash my conacts from the att sim over to my new droid. All my contacts are now saved via google.. so it doesn't matter what phone I boot up.. my contacts are waiting for me.

If I helped you, hit the thanks! :)

Reactions: TheAndroid1

TheAndroid1

May 1, 2014
1. No, stock slot, is stock slot... all of that is predetermined space of the partition... If you have titanium backup Pro and a custom launcher... all you will really lose is time. Make sure you are saving to ext. sd just to be safe, backup your user apps, backup again for modified data, and you are fine. For the custom launcher, save your setup. After you flash over, restore. Depending on what/how much you have it could take a couple hours... some games that require extra data, you will still have to download it but, your progress should still be there. Double check if it is a game, as some of them only save via a cloud.

2. I may be ignorant to your particular situation/apps, but, if your previous device was a an android device, and you saved your contacts to your google I.D. they should be waiting for you, when you reactivate from the wipe/flash. When I got my first droid years ago, I was coming from a crappy flip phone from att, they were able to flash my conacts from the att sim over to my new droid. All my contacts are now saved via google.. so it doesn't matter what phone I boot up.. my contacts are waiting for me.

Ok, I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Thanks!

EDIT:
Will everything will work out if I install CM on the stock, and then delete ROM-Slot1?

Last edited:

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
Ok, I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Thanks!

EDIT:
Will everything will work out if I install CM on the stock, and then delete ROM-Slot1?

Keep slot 1 and it's backup til you have the stock slot the way you want it. That way, if you forgot something, you still have what you need til you figure out what you missed and it isn't gone for good.

When you do your wipes DO NOT TOUCH internal storage and micro SDcard... that is all your personal data.. there is where your backups are... you wipe them your screwed.. pictures.. music, all of it is gone, and no one can help you!

TheAndroid1

May 1, 2014
Keep slot 1 and it's backup til you have the stock slot the way you want it. That way, if you forgot something, you still have what you need til you figure out what you missed and it isn't gone for good.

When you do your wipes DO NOT TOUCH internal storage and micro SDcard... that is all your personal data.. there is where your backups are... you wipe them your screwed.. pictures.. music, all of it is gone, and no one can help you!

I've done what you've said, booted on to the stock ROM, and it's been on the CM boot screen for an hour, I still have the CM installed on stock ROM 1, what would've caused this problem?

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
I've done what you've said, booted on to the stock ROM, and it's been on the CM boot screen for an hour, I still have the CM installed on stock ROM 1, what would've caused this problem?

Lol.. now you know why you wanted to keep slot 1. Either the stock ROM didn't get fully wiped, the CM11 didn't install properly, or it was a bad download.

So. Just a recap, you are using safestrap 3.65 or higher. When you did your wipe, did you just factory reset, or did you go into advanced wipe and wiped Dalvik cache, android secure, data, cache, and system? The CM thread recommends advanced wipe, and doing it three times!

TheAndroid1

May 1, 2014
Lol.. now you know why you wanted to keep slot 1. Either the stock ROM didn't get fully wiped, the CM11 didn't install properly, or it was a bad download.

So. Just a recap, you are using safestrap 3.65 or higher. When you did your wipe, did you just factory reset, or did you go into advanced wipe and wiped Dalvik cache, android secure, data, cache, and system? The CM thread recommends advanced wipe, and doing it three times!

OK, I am gonna just start from the absolute beginning again:
  1. I am flashing the Razr back to factory default with RSD Lite... Complete
  2. Booting into the stock Android installation... Complete
  3. Rooting device with RazrBlade... Complete
  4. Installing Safestrap V3.65... Complete
  5. Rebooting into Safestrap recovery... Complete
  6. Wiping ROM Slot 1 3 times, wiping the same as 2 steps below... Complete
  7. ADB Push CM onto /sdcard/
  8. Install and configure CM on ROM Slot 1 as a fallback...Complete
  9. Advanced wipe Stock slot 3 times, wiping the Dalvik cache, Android secure, data, cache, and system, this is where I messed up... Complete
  10. Install and configure CM on Stock slot...Complete
  11. Delete ROM Slot 1... I'll delete it once I have the Stock ROM fully finished.
It works, thanks for dealing with my stupidity :)

Draxin

Mar 31, 2012
Oregon
  9. Advanced wipe Stock slot 3 times, wiping the Dalvik cache, Android secure, data, cache, and system, this is where I messed up... Complete
  11. Delete ROM Slot 1... I'll delete it once I have the Stock ROM fully finished.

Not stupidity. Ignorance (for lack of a better word... look up the true meaning if you are taking offense:).)
And just so you know, you probably went through a few extra more steps than you needed too. Stock wasn't damaged, just needed to be thoroughly wiped then reinstalled. Also if you had a backup of Slot one, after you did the firmware reflash with RSD then root and recovery, you could have just restored your slot 1 backup.. same thing, less time. Just a couple of tips.

It is certainly good that you aren't afraid to just reflash a fresh firmware though, that can solve a lot more problems than you think. Hone your searching skills, and you are golden :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not stupidity. Ignorance (for lack of a better word... look up the true meaning if you are taking offense:).)
    And just so you know, you probably went through a few extra more steps than you needed too. Stock wasn't damaged, just needed to be thoroughly wiped then reinstalled. Also if you had a backup of Slot one, after you did the firmware reflash with RSD then root and recovery, you could have just restored your slot 1 backup.. same thing, less time. Just a couple of tips.

It is certainly good that you aren't afraid to just reflash a fresh firmware though, that can solve a lot more problems than you think. Hone your searching skills, and you are golden :)