Nexus 7 clean car install with backup cam

Search This thread

saabster2010

Sep 1, 2014
Kuchar,

absolutely awesome install. I have a Saab 97x which is a trailblazer like yours. I wanted to ask you on the hubs. I have my N7 connected with an OTG Y-splitter going to a powered hub (thru the cigarette socket, hardwired). I simply cannot get the rearview camera or USB drive to connect to the phone.

If I plug the USB drive directly to the female end of the y-splitter, the N7 reads it. I am using StickMount and also Timur's latest ROM (for the N7 2013).

How did you connect your rig to the hubs? I tried following your diagram, but my setup is simpler and dont have/need two hubs.

Thanks for the help and great job.

jeb192004

Aug 22, 2012
Kuchar,

absolutely awesome install. I have a Saab 97x which is a trailblazer like yours. I wanted to ask you on the hubs. I have my N7 connected with an OTG Y-splitter going to a powered hub (thru the cigarette socket, hardwired). I simply cannot get the rearview camera or USB drive to connect to the phone.

If I plug the USB drive directly to the female end of the y-splitter, the N7 reads it. I am using StickMount and also Timur's latest ROM (for the N7 2013).

How did you connect your rig to the hubs? I tried following your diagram, but my setup is simpler and dont have/need two hubs.

Thanks for the help and great job.

Did you try restarting the tablet with everything hooked up to it? You might need to do that. That's what I had to do to get mine working...

Sent from my LG-LS995 using XDA Free mobile app

sirofpatrick

Sep 20, 2011
Maybe someone can help with my issue.
I run also USBROM on my N7 3G, the Y-USBOTG cable is connected to an unpowered hub. To the hub i have connected a Sabre USB-DAC and a flash drive.

The flash drive is always shown as a slave device under the usb host settings, but after waking up the tablet from deep sleep the drive is not mounting and i have no music. After a reboot everything is working fine.

gduck24

Feb 16, 2011
What are you guys thoughts on using an aftermarket receiver for the amp and Bluetooth communications in a tablet setup? I'm going to start on my project, but I can't find to many people that haven't gone full blown custom. I use hands-free talk too much and don't want to fool with it. not much luck that I've seen getting that going consistently with custom setups. I also have subs and don't want to mess with hum from cheap amps or components. It just seems like you connect to receiver aux input, and auto mute with blue tooth works , amp and other things work better with less complication? I have a Silverado and there's tons of room to mount a deck hidden below under the cup holders. Access will not be terrible if I have to reset.

Wassted

Dec 9, 2010
I'm using the parrot 3200 for hands free. I use tablet talk as well so I can answer calls on the nexus. I have excellent sound quality. I'm using a clarion eq so I have control over my amps.

gduck24

Feb 16, 2011
I'm using the parrot 3200 for hands free. I use tablet talk as well so I can answer calls on the nexus. I have excellent sound quality. I'm using a clarion eq so I have control over my amps.
I've used some parrot stuff in the past. They worked ok back in the day, and that 3200 prolly works better than most because it's simple input, vs some of the new ones now. Problem is, a decent Bluetooth unit cost as much as another head unit that will auto connect, auto mute, etc. Tablet talk should work seamlessly with my nexii, and any off the shelf BT HU. I'm just thinking from scratch it will be easier and cheaper this way.

OP - not trying to jack your thread, still want input from guys like you and wasted for what you see as pros and cons to these setups.

lowpost99

May 14, 2011
I've used some parrot stuff in the past. They worked ok back in the day, and that 3200 prolly works better than most because it's simple input, vs some of the new ones now. Problem is, a decent Bluetooth unit cost as much as another head unit that will auto connect, auto mute, etc. Tablet talk should work seamlessly with my nexii, and any off the shelf BT HU. I'm just thinking from scratch it will be easier and cheaper this way.

OP - not trying to jack your thread, still want input from guys like you and wasted for what you see as pros and cons to these setups.

I'm also set up similiarly... but can't get Tablet Talk to consistently answer the phone calls over the stereo. Is a DAC required to get call audio over the car speakers? I don't see anything in TT on either the phone or the tablet to do this. Is it the order of pairing? Sometimes it seems that TT can't find the phone over BT, or has a bad BT passkey. I usually have to unpair everything from settings, and try all over. I run RCA out of the N7 into ground loop isolator and then to an EQ, and on to the amps & speakers. Sound quality is great, want to add hands free as well maybe soon. I don't have any steering wheel controls today. Thinking Parrot mk9000i with the controls and small display.... do I have to use BT/DAC USB out instead of RCA? Is this what the Parrot essentially is in this case?

davidadavila

Dec 28, 2011
joycon set up

im having problems following the joycon install, have following issues in a 2001 camaro

when mapping the buttons when the car is off it maps the keys properly in auto detect but when the car is on and i press the keys they\map
different is this normal? ? i have resistive buttons btw... i connected data cable correctly. do you guys thinking changing my ground will work?
so programmed them with the car off and used the assigment keys for android and saved my settings, i see that my tablet recognized joycon
but steering wheel is not recognized, what settings should i change to make it work, in the tablet, ? or how do i verify that the keys are working on android?

thanks in advance

davidadavila

Dec 28, 2011
im having problems following the joycon install, have following issues in a 2001 camaro

when mapping the buttons when the car is off it maps the keys properly in auto detect but when the car is on and i press the keys they\map
different is this normal? ? i have resistive buttons btw... i connected data cable correctly. do you guys thinking changing my ground will work?
so programmed them with the car off and used the assigment keys for android and saved my settings, i see that my tablet recognized joycon
but steering wheel is not recognized, what settings should i change to make it work, in the tablet, ? or how do i verify that the keys are working on android?

thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtwHHA0jJh4

can I maybe add a resistor of some sort???

Last edited:

berthy3

Aug 8, 2014
Caen
USB Backup Cam

Very nice installation.

I've made some similar one on my French car Citroën DS5, and have one question I still cannot solve. Don't know if you can help.
My installation is Nexus 7 2012 with Timur USB Rom + USB camera for rear view.

When I start the car, the tablet is going back from sleep mode and all the USB are also powered on the same time.
The consequence is few seconds after going back from standby, an autmoatic prompt appears asking if "USB Camera Pro" is the right application to launch as the USB camera is detected. If I click on 'ON' and choose by default, as soon as the tablet goes back from standby, the Camera app launches.
And I don't want this. I prefer being able to start the application manually.

Do you know if there is possibility to disable this?
Thank you for help.

valk791

Dec 27, 2013
That's an amazing project! Congrats!
I'm going to start next week buying all the necessary. I read that Timurs rom has been stopped from 2013, is there same other rom still supported?
Thanks in advance.

Kuchar09

Apr 3, 2012
I'm going to start next week buying all the necessary. I read that Timurs rom has been stopped from 2013, is there same other rom still supported?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks bud!! I'm probably not up to date but check out Autodroid. I tried that but was having issues with my flash drive syncing before I put my blazer in storage. Could have been something on my end tho

Sent from my LG-VS985 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: valk791

gduck24

Feb 16, 2011
All the major players in the after market coming out with "android auto" compatible receivers. I have had fun with my project, but android built in to a radio that has all the hardware for radio and backup cameras is going to be a better solution. Software mods on a hardware that's made to work will be much easier and functional. You guys might want to check it out. These receivers are suppose to be out later this year.

Kuchar09

Apr 3, 2012
All the major players in the after market coming out with "android auto" compatible receivers. I have had fun with my project, but android built in to a radio that has all the hardware for radio and backup cameras is going to be a better solution. Software mods on a hardware that's made to work will be much easier and functional. You guys might want to check it out. These receivers are suppose to be out later this year.

Well that just has NO FUN written all over it. Just kidding man lol.
Their actually already out and have been for a couple years now. Fold out Android

Personally the only reason I would get that over doing it yourself is to skip modifying your vehicle that has a single din radio. Which is why I plan on buying the one above for my diesel in the future.

cyberhern

Apr 6, 2008
Ft Laud, Florida
Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure where you read that but I can guarantee you it's wrong. I am running the latest Timurs ROM kernel on my N7'13 running LP 5.02 he is very actively improving his kernel.

BTW... Mine is permanently installed in the head unit of a Ford F 350 diesel

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wanted to show my car install that I've been messing with for some time now. My car install includes a USB DAC, flash drive, webcam, DVB-T for FM stations and a Joycon for steering wheel controls. All of these are connected to 2 USB Hubs that are externally powered.

I have the webcam mounted for my backup cam but am having some problems with it in the daylight so I might ditch it if I can't figure out a solution.

As far as reliability I drove 9 hours back to college with no freezes or hiccups. Since I made my hub externally powered the tablet get enough power to stay fully charged over long trips while using gps and screen brightness on full, but I should not have any problems with it staying charged with Timurs new USBROM that can enable fast charging.

I also have a few hidden buttons in my center console for the 3 tablet buttons and also a charge button to charge the tablet even when the car is off if the battery get low, for example its been below zero for the past week so my battery is probably extremely due to the extreme temperatures. I normally only lose 1-2% over night but since I haven't been driving my car these past couple of days I have lost ~20% in a 24hr period from the -10 degree temperatures we have had, which is when im glad i added a charge button so it can charge while i'm in the store or class or something.

Oh and for GPS and wifi antenna I ended up mounting above the headliner on the passenger side and ran wires to the connectors.

I'm currently using
    -Timurs USBROM with kernel built in Link
    -Power Amp
    -mediaU to stream local radio stations
    -Copilot
    -Apex Launcher
    -GMD Gesture Control
    -Tasker
    -Tablet Talk
    -SDR Touch
    -Probably others that I am forgetting

Videos at the bottom of this post.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!!!
    What do you guys think?

Parts List
    -$39.00 Joycon EX Steering Wheel Control PC Interface

-$55.00 FiiO E10 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier

-$180.00 A new Amp and Speakers to replace my factory bose

-$37.00 64GB Flash Drive for all my music

-$10.00 OTG Y Charge Cable

-$7.50 One of my USB HUBs

-$27.00 Amp wiring kit

-$10.00 Speaker wire

-$24.00 Digital to Analog Audio Converter

-$10.00 2 DC USB chargers for the HUBs

-$72.00 Trailblazer head unit wiring harness to keep onstar and door chimes

-$34.00 Mini Bluetooth keyboard

-$33.00 DVB-T Tuner

-$10.00 DVB-T Antenna

-$7.50 Another USB HUB

-$15.00 4 USB extensions to make USB HUB externally powered

-$21.00 3 10FT USB extensions

-$13.00 Wire to extend GPS and WIFI antennas

-$5.00 DC 2.1A USB charger

Total = $610

Of course you can do this for much cheaper, since a nice chunk of that went into audio equipment and extra accessories.

4 channel amp

Bracket I made to mount the tablet to. I added a fan to help keep the tablet cool along with some velcro to mount the tablet to my bracket.

Had to add some wires for the power, volume up and down buttons that I ran to the center console in case the tablet freezes or something. Also had to run wires to the back cover since the wifi and gps are basically stickers on the back cover which I just velcroed to the top of the stereo opening.

Mounted

RCA digital to analog converter

USB hub with my flash drive, steering wheel controls, backup cam (still working on) and also my usb DAC which is also in the pic

Poweramp

Movies

Installed

Wire diagram

All of this is mounted in my Trailblazer

Excellent tut, and videos.
    Great job!! :good:
    I'll have to subscribe because this is similar to what i am doing in my mustang.

I'm not trying to high-jack your thread, but help for your subscribers.
    A tip for others installing an AMP, some Amps come with a remote you can purchase extra. Here is the AMP i have which has 6 channels.
    This one is no longer made, but there are others like it, or you can one on line.
    http://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-6-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98262

Here is the remote.
    http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-HD-RLC-HDRLC/dp/B0025ZT1IK

The volume control in action.
    http://youtu.be/P89paX9fcYw

Already have a PLX kiwi OBD adapter connected to my old original droid one that is permanently mounted on the top of my windshield. Rather have torque up 24/7 instead of flipping through screens on the tablet.
    Thanks for the suggestion tho ;)
    Now I have a pillar pod don't really even need the torque app either, but I'll prolly just put different gauges on the phone
    It doesn't really have to have resistance for reverse. I think in the manual or maybe in the software I talks about how channel C and D are for reverse and other functions since it isn't as customizable as channels A and B.

So I have a wiring harness since that was required to keep my door chimes and OnStar. This wiring harness also gave me easy access to ign. power, const. power, ground, reverse wire, and also an amp turn on wire I believe.

I just tapped channel C to the reverse wire and grounded the other.

You then have to hook up your computer and put it in reverse to see where the voltage is in order to act as a key press.

No need for relays or resistors unless your going to try to setup multiple buttons.

I then programmed the key press as a camera button where I have tasker taking the camera button and opening the special app.

Hope that helped explain it a little better, really isn't that complicated once you know what your doing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    Well fixed my camera today so I should have it mounted in 2 weeks or so.