SOT SOT SOT - Am I going insane, or am I not(e)?

Search This thread

EagleXDR

Sep 1, 2019
Well at least I still have my (shady) sense of humor.
Hey guys.
2 weeks with the Note 10+, 256GB/12GB - Exynos. I keep seeing those wonderful SOT reports. 8 hours, 9 hours, 10 hours! I'm not even talking about those posting screenshots of 12-14 hours...
They all use WQHD. They all use Facebook. They even use youtube and netflix, on wi-fi and on mobile with more than 50% brightness, and they all get at worst 8 hours of Screen on time.
Little me, on the other hand, uses mostly whatsapp and text, reduce his brightness when possible, check for hungry apps all the time, yet even on Airplane mode, I barely get get to 0% with 5 hours of SOT.
What am I missing? What is the magic trick? Is it possible that I'm having some sort of a hardware failure? Bad luck?
Don't get me wrong, 5 hours of sot, compared to my dying and evil LG G4 is still amazing, but I just can't wrap my head around this difference between exactly the same devices, this huge difference.

Let there be light
and sot.

Shtihi

Dec 28, 2009
Haifa
in the same boat as you are my friend.. note 10 + exynos is a ****ter..
missing my old p30 pro :(

zanderzone

Sep 14, 2011
Don't worry mate, those 8,9,10 hours of SOT are for people who watch lots of Videos like YouTube etc on their device and seldom use camera or do gaming on their Phone. SOT is very subjective and differs from person to person. I get 5 to 6 hours of SOT myself and is pretty happy with it

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
As others said it's hard to compare, for example weak cell/wifi signal can discharge battery pretty fast even with screen off. After saying that, you should disable everything you can that you don't use. Also, forget SOT, see how much your phone discharges overnight when it's not in use. For example charge before sleep to 100%, wake up and see what's the charge after 6-8 hours of standby. If it's less than 94-92 %, then you may have rogue app than runs down your battery and finding it and fixing it may help you a lot.

Blaalad12

Sep 26, 2014
Waterford
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Anything over 5 hours is not that bad imo! However, i would expect that the note 10 plus should easily be hitting 6 hours minimum for the majority of users depending on there usage! I have literally only got my hands on my device today and after about 30 minutes use plus a software update it has dropped just 6%

EagleXDR

Sep 1, 2019
my .2 cents , if your phone can last long enough for you to achieve what ever you want to do achieve in day and without you running behind a charger then you got yourself a keeper .

so don't worry about SOT , standby time ... use your phone to its fullest extent and enjoy it :p

I can totally agree with that, but there's this little voice in my head (Well, there are plenty, but that's not our current burning issue), that's just keep telling me that it doesn't make sense that when both people use the exact same device, with almost the exact same settings, the difference will be so big... :(

I can totally agree with that, but there's this little voice in my head (Well, there are plenty, but that's not our current burning issue), that's just keep telling me that it doesn't make sense that when both people use the exact same device, with almost the exact same settings, the difference will be so big... :(

but main culprit would be Radios ... so are you using same mobil service provider and living same locality then we can worry if comparatively the battery is life lower.

Akram.

Dec 8, 2013
Me too.onmy have 5 hrs max sot, but I play around 1 to 1.5 hr of Intense gaming.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

EagleXDR

Sep 1, 2019
but main culprit would be Radios ... so are you using same mobil service provider and living same locality then we can worry if comparatively the battery is life lower.

Living in a small country, compared to some people who use the same network in the same city (Maybe 5km from each other). Obviously, it's still not a purely scientific comparison, but it's something/

koppee1

Jul 1, 2007
I used to wonder why there was a big difference between my battery performance and the ones I see on the net. Until I went to Taiwan for a vacation. My sucky battery phone then suddenly lasted the whole day. And that was with constant gps usage, constant checking, messaging, googling, etc.
I think the network strength and consistency is the biggest determinant of battery life given the same usage patterns. I live in the Philippines where the signal is not great which is probably why i get a lousy battery life compared to others.

However, the Note 10+ is giving me the best ever battery life ever. Out of all the phones I've owned, this is the only phone to actually surpass the 5 hour screen on time mark.

Reactions: BloodyR0AR

EagleXDR

Sep 1, 2019
I used to wonder why there was a big difference between my battery performance and the ones I see on the net. Until I went to Taiwan for a vacation. My sucky battery phone then suddenly lasted the whole day. And that was with constant gps usage, constant checking, messaging, googling, etc.
I think the network strength and consistency is the biggest determinant of battery life given the same usage patterns. I live in the Philippines where the signal is not great which is probably why i get a lousy battery life compared to others.

However, the Note 10+ is giving me the best ever battery life ever. Out of all the phones I've owned, this is the only phone to actually surpass the 5 hour screen on time mark.

Signal strength affecting battery life makes sense, I have heard that before, but I have tried going a full day with just Wi-Fi, airport mode and no sim installed, and I got just the same results, so I guess that in my case, it's not related (sadly).

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
During my normal daily use, at the end of day I end with SOT of 3 to 5 hrs and 65-45% battery left. So absolutely I can get 8-10 hrs and this is with highest screen resolution, 50% brightness, GPS, BT, NFC, AOD and Edge screen on. You may have rogue apps running in the background and using your battery, did you check under settings/device care/ battery what is using your power, even if it's not very accurate, could give you some hints.

EagleXDR

Sep 1, 2019
I check it constantly, no rogue apps whatsoever. I even did a factory reset, installing only whatsapp and disabling some Samsung apps, yet I still can't reach more than 5 hours of SOT, in almost "lab clean" conditions. Honestly, it's driving me mad.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
How much do you loose overnight, when phone is not used at all. It should be no more than 0.5 to 1% per hr. Also force stop whatsup for few hours, maybe is searching and updating too often. I know what you mean, I had a phone couple yrs ago, wouldn't last whole day even if not used, drove me crazy until found out I changed some obscure setting in wifi before and forgot about it, once I reversed that setting phone went back to normal 0.5% per hour (it was discharging 10% per hour even not used before fix).

EagleXDR

Sep 1, 2019
How much do you loose overnight, when phone is not used at all. It should be no more than 0.5 to 1% per hr. Also force stop whatsup for few hours, maybe is searching and updating too often. I know what you mean, I had a phone couple yrs ago, wouldn't last whole day even if not used, drove me crazy until found out I changed some obscure setting in wifi before and forgot about it, once I reversed that setting phone went back to normal 0.5% per hour (it was discharging 10% per hour even not used before fix).

Hmm... I believe I lost 5% last night. I'll check back tomorrow morning for a more accurate answer.

Reactions: winol

Akram.

Dec 8, 2013
Wtf I lose almost 10% on aod overnight

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

AhsanU

Sep 27, 2013
NYC
The Exynos SoC is garbage.

I learned the hard way with the Galaxy S10+. I thought to myself: "I'll buy the Exynos version so I can have an unlocked bootloader and enjoy custom ROM's and all the good stuff!" Little did I know, it's tough to enjoy the good stuff with such crap battery life.

Snapdragon users of the S10+ were reporting amazing battery life, meanwhile I couldn't get 4 hours of SoT with very careful use. I decided not to make the same error with the Note 10+ and ordered it with a Snapdragon SoC. I can happily report 7-8 hours of SoT and it was only getting better. I'm back on the OnePlus 7 Pro because I may return the Note 10+ for the Galaxy Fold, but I am leaning towards keeping it because the camera is so damned good.

Either way, never buy an Exynos phone. I enjoyed my S8+ with the Exynos chipset, but made a grave error with the S10+. Avoid at all costs if you can. If you need the radio bands that only the Exynos version has - look into getting a battery case because you'll need it.

Good luck Exynos users

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As others said it's hard to compare, for example weak cell/wifi signal can discharge battery pretty fast even with screen off. After saying that, you should disable everything you can that you don't use. Also, forget SOT, see how much your phone discharges overnight when it's not in use. For example charge before sleep to 100%, wake up and see what's the charge after 6-8 hours of standby. If it's less than 94-92 %, then you may have rogue app than runs down your battery and finding it and fixing it may help you a lot.
    Well at least I still have my (shady) sense of humor.
    Hey guys.
    2 weeks with the Note 10+, 256GB/12GB - Exynos. I keep seeing those wonderful SOT reports. 8 hours, 9 hours, 10 hours! I'm not even talking about those posting screenshots of 12-14 hours...
    They all use WQHD. They all use Facebook. They even use youtube and netflix, on wi-fi and on mobile with more than 50% brightness, and they all get at worst 8 hours of Screen on time.
    Little me, on the other hand, uses mostly whatsapp and text, reduce his brightness when possible, check for hungry apps all the time, yet even on Airplane mode, I barely get get to 0% with 5 hours of SOT.
    What am I missing? What is the magic trick? Is it possible that I'm having some sort of a hardware failure? Bad luck?
    Don't get me wrong, 5 hours of sot, compared to my dying and evil LG G4 is still amazing, but I just can't wrap my head around this difference between exactly the same devices, this huge difference.

Let there be light
    and sot.
    in the same boat as you are my friend.. note 10 + exynos is a ****ter..
    missing my old p30 pro :(

No, it is not
    Don't worry mate, those 8,9,10 hours of SOT are for people who watch lots of Videos like YouTube etc on their device and seldom use camera or do gaming on their Phone. SOT is very subjective and differs from person to person. I get 5 to 6 hours of SOT myself and is pretty happy with it
    A lot of the tips in this article helped my N10+ extremely. A lot of stuff I already knew but there are a lot of gems as well. Article states for S10 but most are applicable to N10+ as well. Hope this helps!

https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxys10/..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body