[Q] EVO 3D

Search This thread

george232

Mar 6, 2011
Depends what phone makes it to the stores sooner, but I'd prefer the EVO judging from the specs.

Hero Yu

Sep 8, 2010
Well I would get the evolution 3d but sadly no gsm... :(

So I'll be picking me up an official 3d

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

zedklind

Sep 23, 2008
honestly judging from the benchmarks i would prefer the LG. Its sad to see htc lag behind with their qualcomm because they make great products. Just the build quality is amazing with htc. Ive also heard that the new qualcomm chips have signed and locked bootloaders :/. The qualcomm msm8660 and 8260 are both dualcore arm cortex a8 and the .2 overclocked compaired to other dualcores just doesnt make up for the lack of performance and power comsumption gain.

wouwout

Aug 18, 2009
Sydney, AU
You've got to be kidding. The less than stellar benchmark results are based on 1 benchmark from a prototype? Possibly fake? Let's wait and see what the evo 3d will do.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

HDD_x8

Dec 28, 2010
Joke or not, it looks slow.
Smartbench uses several 2D/3D routines to calculate an index, so it is not one benchmark, it is several ones.
May be fake, we'll see soon enough, CPU should show up in several phones soon.

Another advantage of the Evo 3D is the inter-camera distance, lenses seen to be further apart. Should bring little more depth to objects further away.

Evo 3D looks 3 mm shorther and 3 mm slimmer too. Same weight though.

The slightly bigger battery at 1700mah vs 1500mah needs testing to check the battery times. Maybe the screen needs more juice...

fen_nyc

Mar 13, 2011
nyc
GSM is a big deal for me too; too bad, this is a nice Evo refresh. Also, if you're a fan of Google Voice, the Sprint network has an edge in that dept.

Here are my thoughts on the features of the LG Optimus 3D Vs. HTC Evo 3D:

OS: Like the 2x, the Optimus 3D runs Froyo. An update has been mentioned often by LG & should be released soon after the phones have gone retail. The Evo 3D has the latest update.

CPU: Up for grabs right now, but LG's TI OMAP shows alot of promise. Again, we just met the Evo 3D- still both phones are very fast.

RAM: HTC has twice the RAM @ 1 GIG. Yet, LG's 2x & the 3D are top 5 in most benches w/ only 512. Dual channel or not, I've brought this up before, maybe 512 is enough after all?

Build: HTC probably has a better build- shaped like the stellar Evo, its parts are smooth & has some weight when handled. The previews for LG's 3D & its 2x has been relatively positive. Nothing ground breaking, but conservatively simple & elegant.

Camera: Both are dual 5mp on the backside & I think 1.3mp on the front. The difference is that the Evo has a dedicated shutter button & 2x LED flashes.

UI: LG's UI overlay is rather weak compared to the Sense- but that's a two-edged sword being that so little is in fact added to LG's UI, it's not bloated w/ company widgets, apps, or questionable OS modifications. That's cool or cheap of them, hehe. The new Sense UI IMO, looks great.

Display: HTC has a winner here. LG's screen is great, though just not Samsung, HTC, Apple, "great" where their phones have continually put out awesome displays. The Evo 3D screen is slightly thinner & taller because HTC believes this aspect ratio is the proper size. Both phones are within 4.3 inch category.

Battery: The Optimus 3D has a Li-Ion 1500 mAh while the Evo 3D includes a 1730 mAh battery.

3D: The only negative words about 3D for these phones stem from the public- which do not have access to test these two devices. Which does it better? There are those that care & I hope the media makes a statement on this topic.

Extras: Both phones have HDMI ports, can record 3D in 720p & 2D in 1080p.

IMO, both phones are great devices considering they're first to jump in the 3D market. I'm looking forward to the Optimus- hopefully early spring!

zedklind

Sep 23, 2008
GSM is a big deal for me too; too bad, this is a nice Evo refresh. Also, if you're a fan of Google Voice, the Sprint network has an edge (EDITED LINK) in that dept.

OS: Like the 2x, the Optimus 3D runs Froyo. An update has been mentioned often by LG & should be released soon after the phones have gone retail. The Evo 3D has the latest update.

CPU: Up for grabs right now, but LG's TI OMAP shows alot of promise. Again, we just met the Evo 3D- still both phones are very fast.

RAM: HTC has twice the RAM @ 1 GIG. Yet, LG's 2x & the 3D are top 5 in most benches w/ only 512. Dual channel or not, I've brought this up before, maybe 512 is enough after all?

Build: HTC probably has a better build- shaped like the stellar Evo, its parts are smooth & has some weight when handled. The previews for LG's 3D & its 2x has been relatively positive. Nothing ground breaking, but conservatively simple & elegant.

Camera: Both are dual 5mp on the backside & I think 1.3mp on the front. The difference is that the Evo has a dedicated shutter button & 2x LED flashes.

UI: LG's UI overlay is rather weak compared to the Sense- but that's a two-edged sword being that so little is in fact added to LG's UI, it's not bloated w/ company widgets, apps, or questionable OS modifications. That's cool or cheap of them, hehe. The new Sense UI IMO, looks great.

Display: HTC has a winner here. LG's screen is great, though just not Samsung, HTC, Apple, "great" where their phones have continually put out awesome displays. The Evo 3D screen is slightly thinner & taller because HTC believes this aspect ratio is the proper size. Both phones are within 4.3 inch category.

Battery: The Optimus 3D has a Li-Ion 1500 mAh while the Evo 3D includes a 1730 mAh battery.

3D: The only negative words about 3D for these phones stem from the public- which do not have access to test these two devices. Which does it better? There are those that care & I hope the media makes a statement on this topic.

IMO, both phones are great devices considering they're first to jump in the 3D market. I'm looking forward to the Optimus- hopefully early spring!

Great comparison! You have to remember something though... all the new htc phones have signed and locked bootloaders.. the evo 3d might come with 2.3 from the get go but the optimus 3d (thrill) will probably have 2.3 custom roms ready to go before its US release because devs in UK. And something else to remember.. rooted and custom rom available phones get updates first. Why the users on evo 3d are waiting for htc to send out a sense based 2.4, people on optimus 3d will already have a stock version custom rom.
Sent from my HTC Magic/Dream using XDA Premium App

sta1cs

Oct 2, 2010
Yes, nice comparison fen_nyc!
I'm looking forward to the Optimus 3D, mostly because I have no choice :p
There's no AWS 3G of the Evo 3D :(

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23

I don't understand why these companies don't make their phones compatible on as many carriers as possible, would it hurt htc to make another evo3d that has the same 3g bands as the optimus 3d and would instantly work on att/tmo? I love what samsung did with the original galaxy s line, every single carrier had these phones.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
Great comparison! You have to remember something though... all the new htc phones have signed and locked bootloaders.. the evo 3d might come with 2.3 from the get go but the optimus 3d (thrill) will probably have 2.3 custom roms ready to go before its US release because devs in UK. And something else to remember.. rooted and custom rom available phones get updates first. Why the users on evo 3d are waiting for htc to send out a sense based 2.4, people on optimus 3d will already have a stock version custom rom.
Sent from my HTC Magic/Dream using XDA Premium App

All htc phones have signed updates and locked bootloaders... Afaik nothing is new, just some blogs picked it up thinking there was something special about it.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

sta1cs

Oct 2, 2010
I don't understand why these companies don't make their phones compatible on as many carriers as possible, would it hurt htc to make another evo3d that has the same 3g bands as the optimus 3d and would instantly work on att/tmo? I love what samsung did with the original galaxy s line, every single carrier had these phones.

It definitely wouldn't hurt them in terms of customer appreciation or choice but I believe it is a but more complex than that, HTC may have signed some exclusivity deals with Sprint because I have yet to see the device announced for other carriers (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes it's disappointing to see they did that even though it's just business, I will second guess ever buying from them anymore especially after they made me pay for shipping on the warranty RMA or the fact that the phone broke out of nowhere.

Last edited:
GSM is a big deal for me too; too bad, this is a nice Evo refresh. Also, if you're a fan of Google Voice, the Sprint network has an edge in that dept.

good write-up.
I think the only decision for me is to either choose the optimus 3d for the dual channel memory, or the evo 3d for the qhd display.

george232

Mar 6, 2011
Signed bootloader is a no-go, even more if the specs are fantastic like this. Imagine a monster like the EVO 3D and HTC stops updating it after 6 months. Horrible.

fen_nyc

Mar 13, 2011
nyc
...but the optimus 3d (thrill) will probably have 2.3 custom roms ready to go before its US release because devs in UK.

How will these Roms work w/ the Evo's or the Optimus' 3D software/hardware? It's a new window for developers & it's unclear what the level of progress will be like. Again, these are the only 2 devices set to effectively be released this year & if you're the minority, & furthermore knowing how the general public are split on the concept of 3D, the community may not adopt to these phones as quickly as we'll like.

Yes, nice comparison fen_nyc!
There's no AWS 3G of the Evo 3D :(

Thanks, I have to say though, LG's 3D is no slouch. I know, I know that HTC has a more favorable release history w/ their devices- but look up some videos of the Optimus 3D in action. The screen is very tech worthy. The outer body is nicely rugged to stabilize camera usage & I forgot to mention, that while it lacks a shutter button that's present on the Evo, there is a cool "3D" button on the side of the phone which opens up LG's neat 3D carousel menu. It's very functional!

It all comes down to exclusivity & Sprint has the Evo line locked down. If I recall, upon the official unveiling of the Incredible, it was considered by the press to be the Evo's little brother now in Verizon's camp- it’s certainly different, but the general design (hardware & Sense UI) is similar.

Now a few notable downsides for 3D phones:

1. Power Draw: Battery life should be an issue. For instance, the Optimus G2X & the 3D both are powered at 1500 mAh. Yet comparing normal usage through 3D gaming & viewing 3D videos Vs. that of the G2X... you really need to wonder.

2. Photo & Video Enthusiasts: If video recording & capturing stills is more of a passion to you than the addition of a 3D "experience" on a smart phone; in terms of a 1-2 year investment, this may not be the product for you. Camera lens tech on 3D phones will never be on par or outpace regular 2D phones- I just don't see it happening. A 5MP lens on each the Evo & the Optimus Vs. the 8MP lens mounted on the G2X & an 8.1MP listed on the soon to be released Sony Arc & well, the trend is clear...

3. Cost: It's not about being an early adopter anymore. 3D inclusion is now recognized as an "extra," like thumbing in a surround-sound speaker option for a newly purchased car. Expect anywhere from $100-$200 markup compared to a similarly spec'ed phone minus the 3D.

4. Application Support: How will developers respond? Will there be simultaneously launches for application & videos? A price bump for 3D content...? Oh, that I'm quite sure of...;)

george232

Mar 6, 2011
Regarding cost: You can already preorder the O3D at Amazon.de, and the recommended retail price is just 50€ above the 2x/Speed, and the 3D has better build quality, OMAP4, Dual Channel RAM and 4.3" screen.

fen_nyc

Mar 13, 2011
nyc
Regarding cost: You can already preorder the O3D at Amazon.de, and the recommended retail price is just 50€ above the 2x/Speed, and the 3D has better build quality, OMAP4, Dual Channel RAM and 4.3" screen.

Right about that; however, I recall when these phones were previewed after MWC, retailers like Expansys listed a difference of over $100... now it's down to $70. If it remains this low upon US retail release, then T-Mo/At&t customers will have something to cheer about this spring! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I buy phones in priority like this; Android, hardware, custom rom capable, extra features. 3D is just an extra feature to show off to friends. Its gimicky IMO.

Yes, that's the same order of importance I'll follow before buying a new device. :) However, I wouldn't be so quick to say that 3D is a gimmick. Maybe 10 or 20 years ago but not now when movie theaters, TVs, PC graphic cards & 3D monitors, home/handheld console gaming, & now mobile phones- 3D is no longer a gimmick. What's changed? Well, tech has vastly improved to allow HD quality films & stills & most importantly, consumer affordability. The audience maybe split for now but look at Avatar- 3D's not going dormant like it did in the past.

I know the community & Android fans are mildly upset @ LG & HTC for introducing awesome dual-core chips like the OMAP & the 1.2GHz Snapdragon & then having 3D tag along- which effectively limits the quality of the camera lens. You have to wonder then, when these two devices are pushing the fastest procs on paper today & for the market research both of these companies have invested in, incorporating 3D was not a hefty risk but a response to public interest.

I like the G2X alot. Plain Froyo, great specs, good build... but I really wanted a large display & well, I carry a DSLR anyways, & therefore a 3MP drop in lens quality is a fair trade for the 4.3 inch Optimus 3D.
    Some more info from LG regarding the EVO 3D comparisons.

Some facts about HTC EVO 3D and LG Optimus 3D

HTC EVO 3D has a HD (960X540) display while the LG Optimus 3D is equipped with a WVGA (480X800) panel.The graphic core is the most important factor for realizing the 3D effect in high resolution. Several tests showed that the LG Optimus boasts a high fps which brings clearer and more vivid graphics. In addition, most applications are not optimized for qHD at this time.

HTC EVO 3D has higher brightness at 550nit in 2D and 230nit in 3D while the LG Optimus 3D’s brightness is 500nit in 2D and 175nit in 3D.Brightness could be easily increased if we sacrificed the low cross-talk rate. However, cross-talk, not brightness, is most commonly associated with comfort when viewing 3D content. For this reason, LG is focused more on achieving a lower cross-talk rate than high brightness.

3D mode is available for both landscape and portrait mode on the HTC EVO 3D while LG Optimus 3D supports 3D mode only in landscape mode. Using portrait mode is inconvenient because of its high cross-talk ratio and rainbow effect.

The HTC EVO 3D has no feature to protect 3D technology from offsets.
    The LG Optimus 3D has Real Time Misalignment Correction to protect 3D technology from dropping/ heating/ humidity which can result in offset throughout the device’s lifetime”

HTC EVO 3D’s 2D/3D switch along the side is only for the camera, not the display.Thanks to its 3D hot key, the LG Optimus 3D can easily toggle between 2D to 3D or vice versa for both viewing on the display and recording in camera and video. The LG Optimus 3D’s exclusive software technology can convert 2D images into 3D.

HTC EVO 3D cannot share 3D content with a 3D TV.The LG Optimus 3D is the only 3D smartphone for sharing and viewing of 3D content on a large screen like a 3D TV or monitor through HDMI 1.4 connection. In a demonstration of its recognition of LG Optimus 3D’s superior 3D experience, YouTube is collaborating with LG for exclusive marketing activities on its YouTube 3D channel.