[TOOL] Lock/Unlock Bootloader + Remove Tampered | Aroma GUI

Search This thread

crushalot

Jun 18, 2011
Raleigh
www.htc1guru.com
This tool will allow you remove the Tampered flag from your bootloader. It will also allow you to easily Lock and Unlock your Bootloader directly from recovery.
No root required since it is run in recovery, however you still must be S-OFF.

Before using this tool you need to be sure you are using the latest version of recovery as the M7 U/UL TWRP requires at least version 2.6.3.3 for this package to work. The current downloads for both CWM and TWRP can found below:

The latest M7 U/UL TWRP can be downloaded HERE.
The latest M7 U/UL CWM can be downloaded HERE.

***[UPDATE] - It seems that the latest TWRP 2.6.3.3 has been pulled due to some minor issues. If your TWRP version doesn't work please use CWM for now until a updated TWRP release is made.

This will work for Verizon and Sprint as well, however they have different versions of these recoveries, so please make sure you are using the correct recovery for your device.

Saying this again in case you missed it: YOU MUST BE S-OFF!

To use the tool simply copy the zip file to your phone and then boot to your custom recovery and choose install. Then browse to where you copied the file and select it. The aroma installer will begin. Follow the steps outlined in the pictures below and choose the options you want to run.

GBLpost.jpg

Now you can just keep this file on your phone and Lock and Unlock at anytime without a PC and without losing data.

***Credits***
S-trace for originally discovering the location of the lock status flag. See this thread.

scotty1223 for his ADB shell commands. Threads HERE and HERE. Scotty was also very helpful to me in understanding some of the default values.

Just to be clear I did not just copy and paste scotty1223's commands into a aroma installer. The echo command can be problematic in aroma, so I developed original code for all four commands. The end result is the same in that the data in the partitions is changed as needed.

***Download***

Guru Bootloader Reset Tool

md5: fdb8264a8f4741bae22939cd7734f7c2

Enjoy!

If this helped you out please consider a small donation or just a thanks would be great.

Last edited:

crushalot

Jun 18, 2011
Raleigh
www.htc1guru.com
Demo and Troubleshooting

Demo Video:

***Troubleshooting***

If the installer stays on this screen fore more than a few seconds, then it means you need to delete/format cache. This can be done within both recoveries. You may need to reboot recovery after clearing cache and begin the installer again. This seems to happen more on CWM than TWRP.
Installing.jpg

If the installer runs but your bootloader doesn't change, it is proably one of these things:
  • You are not S-Off
  • You do not have the latest version of recovery (I recommend TWRP)

Last edited:

popy2006

Mar 22, 2007
Worked on int. m7 with hboot version 1.55.
Now have removed my tampered flag :victory:

thx
pOpY

gboydroid

Oct 26, 2011
Oh yeah..thanks..a handy tool..

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Nice :) Thanks @crushalot

Quick question (if you have time): why do we need latest recovery? what would happen on an older recovery?

crushalot

Jun 18, 2011
Raleigh
www.htc1guru.com

Quick question (if you have time): why do we need latest recovery? what would happen on an older recovery?
On older recoveries, the worst that could happen is that it may not work. It won't hurt to try.

The reason you need an updated recovery is because on TWRP before version 2.6.3.3 the partition wasn't writable so the actions didn't work. Older CWM should be ok but I only tested the latest.

Reactions: c1-p8 and nkk71

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
On older recoveries, the worst that could happen is that it may not work. It won't hurt to try.

The reason you need an updated recovery is because on TWRP before version 2.6.3.3 the partition wasn't writable so the actions didn't work. Older CWM should be ok but I only tested the latest.

Noted. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut

Hi crushalot, I just noticed TWRP version 2.6.3.3 was pulled and back to 2.6.3.0, just FYI

DaringDomino3s

Feb 10, 2013
Bradenton
Awesome that this can be done fron recovery, let alone in an Aroma install! Looks good! :good:

But I am having trouble seeing the use for me personally? Is this so that Ican lock my botloader and download Official OTAs (if thats required)? Or is this just something in case I have to send it off for service?

Or am I missing something here?:confused:

juanshop

May 3, 2010
Awesome that this can be done fron recovery, let alone in an Aroma install! Looks good! :good:

But I am having trouble seeing the use for me personally? Is this so that Ican lock my botloader and download Official OTAs (if thats required)? Or is this just something in case I have to send it off for service?

. Warranty purposes. Or for example in my case if I decided to upgrade my phone with jump, I can make everything look like never even happened. It's quite useful.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

crushalot

Jun 18, 2011
Raleigh
www.htc1guru.com
Hi crushalot, I just noticed TWRP version 2.6.3.3 was pulled and back to 2.6.3.0, just FYI
Yeah, seems like it was pulled because the charging while in recovery doesn't work correctly.
It still works for everything else. Not sure if they will just re-release 2.6.3.3 when fixed or make a new version.
I will update the link and info in the OP.

Thanks

Reactions: nkk71

crushalot

Jun 18, 2011
Raleigh
www.htc1guru.com

Also sometimes a locked bootloader is needed for promotions like the 25 GB of Google Drive space.
There can be a variety of reasons one might need to toggle it.

joho5

Oct 20, 2011
Looking and unlocking won't wipe data? Like a typical htcdev unlock does?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Yeah, seems like it was pulled because the charging while in recovery doesn't work correctly.
It still works for everything else. Not sure if they will just re-release 2.6.3.3 when fixed or make a new version.
I will update the link and info in the OP.

Thanks

I'm still on CWM 6.....2 (the old one, but with updated ts drivers) gonna test ur tool on friday.
Will let u know.

Btw, thanks for all your guru site, I refer to it a lot; PayPal doesn't work in my country so can't contribute. But thanks !!
Love ur work.

Reactions: crushalot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tool will allow you remove the Tampered flag from your bootloader. It will also allow you to easily Lock and Unlock your Bootloader directly from recovery.
    No root required since it is run in recovery, however you still must be S-OFF.

Before using this tool you need to be sure you are using the latest version of recovery as the M7 U/UL TWRP requires at least version 2.6.3.3 for this package to work. The current downloads for both CWM and TWRP can found below:

The latest M7 U/UL TWRP can be downloaded HERE.
    The latest M7 U/UL CWM can be downloaded HERE.

***[UPDATE] - It seems that the latest TWRP 2.6.3.3 has been pulled due to some minor issues. If your TWRP version doesn't work please use CWM for now until a updated TWRP release is made.

This will work for Verizon and Sprint as well, however they have different versions of these recoveries, so please make sure you are using the correct recovery for your device.

Saying this again in case you missed it: YOU MUST BE S-OFF!

To use the tool simply copy the zip file to your phone and then boot to your custom recovery and choose install. Then browse to where you copied the file and select it. The aroma installer will begin. Follow the steps outlined in the pictures below and choose the options you want to run.

GBLpost.jpg

Now you can just keep this file on your phone and Lock and Unlock at anytime without a PC and without losing data.

***Credits***
    S-trace for originally discovering the location of the lock status flag. See this thread.

scotty1223 for his ADB shell commands. Threads HERE and HERE. Scotty was also very helpful to me in understanding some of the default values.

Just to be clear I did not just copy and paste scotty1223's commands into a aroma installer. The echo command can be problematic in aroma, so I developed original code for all four commands. The end result is the same in that the data in the partitions is changed as needed.

***Download***

Guru Bootloader Reset Tool

md5: fdb8264a8f4741bae22939cd7734f7c2

Enjoy!

If this helped you out please consider a small donation or just a thanks would be great.
    Demo and Troubleshooting

Demo Video:

***Troubleshooting***

If the installer stays on this screen fore more than a few seconds, then it means you need to delete/format cache. This can be done within both recoveries. You may need to reboot recovery after clearing cache and begin the installer again. This seems to happen more on CWM than TWRP.
    Installing.jpg

If the installer runs but your bootloader doesn't change, it is proably one of these things:
    • You are not S-Off
    • You do not have the latest version of recovery (I recommend TWRP)
    hy

I just want to ask is this mode actualy locks the bootloader or just change the text?
    eg. if I change status to locked and remove the tampered flag, will I be able to flash roms and recoveryes or I need to change status again to unlocked to do that?

Tnx

Yes, it really LOCKS the bootloader, Not the text, the real thing.

So 2.6.3.3 isn't official...do we have it as a link to download somewhere?

thanks

Download the newest .img file from HERE.