[UTILITY] Return to GB from ICS fxz script -- Now includes 2.3.6 fxz 09/26/2012

Search This thread

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Ok, so you want to return to GB from ICS, right?

Well I have written a script for AT&T users to get back to GB 2.3.5 from ICS with the fxz patched with the same patch the Chinese forum had used.

It is very simple just download the correct file there is a version for windows users in a batch file, and a shell script for the Linux and Mac users.

This has been tested and will not brick your phone. We have several confirmed cases that this works Even one of our devs soft bricked on ICS today and was able to get back to 2.3.5 from this.

--UPDATE 10/18/2012--

Do NOT use this if you are on leak 2/the soak/the final OTA!!! You will hard brick!!!
This ONLY works for leak 1, that is dated early July in the build date.

--UPDATE 09/26/2012--

Here are the 2.3.6 fxz scripts as well, that alteredikeness put together when the 2nd leak came out, go thank alteredlikeness for these:

Windows:
Download: http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Motorola_ATRIX_2_Developers/jimbridgman/A2_backto236_win.zip
MD5sum: a937d39d52572843aecab25e1682cda8

Linux/Mac:
Download: http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Motorola_ATRIX_2_Developers/jimbridgman/a2_backto236_lm.zip
MD5sum: ffc4ebd245e68ad0ce5a9e40d9ba751b

--END UPDATE--

2.3.5 Files:

Windows:

You will download the following zip file:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Motorola_ATRIX_2_Developers/jimbridgman/a2_return_to_gb_win.zip

MD5sum: 85dd75fc711a723837d927c6de6ca1fa

Then unzip the whole thing, do not drag and drop the files, there is an A2_go_back_win directory with all the files in it... extract this directory to either your desktop or C:\ BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DO NOT DRAG JUST THE FILES TO C:\ but you extract the WHOLE directory there.

Then go to your command line (cmd) and cd to either your Desktop or C:\A2_go_back_win then run the restore-to-gb.bat file

Code:
C:\ > cd A2_go_back_win
C:\A2_go_back_win > restore-to-gb.bat

Linux and Mac:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Motorola_ATRIX_2_Developers/jimbridgman/a2_return_to_gb_lm.zip

MD5sum: 58b4c47c02e9ad0a379ca8cc5734687a

Unzip the file and go to the command line and cd to where you unzipped the file to and cd into the A2_go_back directory. Then run the return_to_gb.sh shell script

The following is an example of how to run this. The directory I use is just and example, please cd to the correct directory you extracted the zip to on your machine.

Code:
$ cd ~/Downloads/A2_go_back
$ ./restore_to_gb.sh

This will ONLY work if you are on ICS, I will get something for 2.3.6 and 2.3.5 from, once you have been on ICS, those are "special" cases so PLEASE do not attempt that until further notice.

Thanks to the following users:
jerrycrystal, sky2k4@CHN, mntlion, KEB64, leifmagnuson, seraphielx, ri4naire, Fall of Enosis, jspugh, rdavisct, cogeary, JRW 28, alteredlikeness, a special thanks to dicksteele.

If I forgot you please PM me, all of those guys deserve for you to hit their thanks button for either testing, or getting the needed files, or other support.

One last thing, if you brick or soft brick I am not responsible, you hacked your phone and made the choice freely, to do so.

Now upward and onward to more android development.

Last edited:

jfrank1485

Nov 1, 2010
Tegucigalpa
OnePlus 7 Pro

Well I have written a script for AT&T users to get back to GB 2.3.5 from ICS with the fxz patched with the same patch the Chinese forum had used.

It is very simple just download the correct file there is a version for windows users in a batch file, and shell script for the Linux and Mac users.

This has been tested and will not brick your phone. We have several confirmed cases that this works Even one of our devs soft bricked on ICS today and was able to get back to 2.3.5 from this.

Windows:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Motorola_ATRIX_2_Developers/jimbridgman/a2_return_to_gb_win.zip

Then unzip the whole thing, do not drag and drop the files, there is an A2_go_back_win directory with all the files in it... extract this directory to either you desktop or C:\ BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DO NOT DRAG JUST THE FILES TO C:\ but you extract the WHOLE directory there.

Then go t your command line (cmd) and cd to either your Desktop or C:\A2_go_back_win then run the restore-to-gb.bat file

Code:
C:\A2_go_back_win > restore-to-to-gb.bat

Linux and Mac:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Motorola_ATRIX_2_Developers/jimbridgman/a2_return_to_gb_lm.zip

unzip the file and go to the command line and cd to where you unzipped the file to and cd into the A2_go_back directory. Then run the return_to_gb.sh shell script

The following is an example of how to run this the directory I use is just and example, please cd to the correct directory you extracted the zip to on your machine.

Code:
$ ./restore_to_gb.sh

This will ONLY work if you are on ICS, I will get something for 2.3.6 and 2.3.5 from once you have been on ICS, those are "special" cases so PLEASE do not attempt that until further notice.

jerrycrystal, sky2k4@CHN, mntlion, KEB64, leifmagnuson, seraphielx, ri4naire, Fall of Enosis, jspugh, rdavisct, cogeary, JRW 28, alteredlikeness, a special thanks to dicksteele.

If I forgot you please PM me, all those guys deserve for you hit their thanks button for either testing getting the needed files or other support.

One last thing, if you brick or soft brick I am not responsible, you hacked your phone and made the choice freely, to do so.

Thanks a lot man for all the hard work you have put on this, it's really appreciated. :good:

seraphielx

Mar 1, 2011
not working for me this is what I get
after the flash it sits on the red m and never boots

Checking for phone...
0146DDCC09011007 fastboot
If your phone serial did not show up then exit this,
reconnect your phone, and try again!
If you did see the serial then this will continue
Waiting; if you want to cancel press c (Ctrl+C)
Press any key to continue
Press any key to continue . . .
Allowing bootloader flashing
sending 'mbm' (256 KB)... OKAY [ 0.032s]
writing 'mbm'... OKAY [ 0.470s]
Flashing bootloader mbm.bin
sending 'mbm' (256 KB)... OKAY [ 0.242s]
writing 'mbm'... OKAY [ 0.464s]
Rebooting into bootloader
rebooting into bootloader... OKAY [ 0.281s]
Flashing cdt.bin
sending 'cdt.bin' (16 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or
directory))
Erasing userdata
erasing 'userdata'... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or
directory))
Erasing cache
erasing 'cache'... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or
directory))
Flashing lbl
sending 'lbl' (16 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or
directory))
Flashing logo.bin
sending 'logo.bin' (854 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or
directory))
Flashing ebr
sending 'ebr' (16 KB)... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or
directory))
Flashing mbr
< waiting for device >
sending 'mbr' (16 KB)... OKAY [ 0.010s]
writing 'mbr'... OKAY [ 0.469s]
flashing device_tree.bin
sending 'devtree' (512 KB)... OKAY [ 0.351s]
writing 'devtree'... OKAY [ 0.519s]
Flashing System
sending 'system' (262144 KB)... OKAY [ 24.863s]
writing 'system'... OKAY [ 29.543s]
sending 'system' (229120 KB)... OKAY [ 21.285s]
writing 'system'... OKAY [ 25.757s]
Flashing Boot image
sending 'boot' (8192 KB)... OKAY [ 0.779s]
writing 'boot'... OKAY [ 1.408s]
flashing recovery
sending 'recovery' (9216 KB)... OKAY [ 1.120s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 1.833s]
Flashing Radio
sending 'radio' (12080 KB)... OKAY [ 1.362s]
writing 'radio'... OKAY [ 1.467s]
Flashing cdrom
sending 'cdrom' (12032 KB)... OKAY [ 1.357s]
writing 'cdrom'... INFOPreflash validation failure
FAILED (remote: )
Flashing preinstall
sending 'preinstall' (262144 KB)... OKAY [ 23.968s]
writing 'preinstall'... OKAY [ 29.349s]
sending 'preinstall' (20480 KB)... OKAY [ 1.945s]
writing 'preinstall'... OKAY [ 1.893s]
Flashing webtop, This will take a LONG time, be patient
sending 'webtop' (262144 KB)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Swaroop.SK

matt99017d

Nov 17, 2011
Camas WA
OK, now that we have a way back, is there any reason to do it for those of us on scv7?
when the ota comes out im sure the development will go crazy.
is this only useful for those that want to have the "official" update? a backup and boot menu should fix most issues with a soft brick right?

thank you for all the time and effort that everyone have put into this!!!

Reactions: Swaroop.SK

Archmag3

Oct 16, 2008
Mumbai
Thanks a lot jim :) And thanks a lot "Chinese Guy" ^_^ :)

Got few questions :

1.Only At n T users ? I guess thats coz is that the only leak ?
2.Will this work only on ICS leak or will work on SC v7 too ?
3. Back to 2.3.5 and the 2.3.6 OTA can be done as usual ?

regards.

Fall of Enosis

Jul 13, 2011
Portland

Got few questions :

regards.

1. Yes it is for AT&T users. Jim says that in the first line of the the post. ;)
2. Yes, it should work for SC v7 also as it is based on the same firmware (someone can correct me if I am wrong on this)
3. Yes, I know this for sure, cause I tested it, and I OTA'd to 2.3.6 no problem. :good:

vinamilk

Jul 26, 2010
Tooooooo laaaatttteeeee for me ....

Hope all of you guys will be happy with this .............

seedoubleyou

Jul 4, 2009
Can I get a confidence factor on when the ICS OTA is released that those of us that are on the leak, then return to 2.3.6 using this script, will be alright, even regarding that one file that is ignored? As I said in another thread, I am patiently waiting for the OTA to happen before I go back from the leak, but I want to know how confident the devs feel that the storm is over and its safe to come out from our rocks.

For the record, I am running the leak, rooted, no other build.prop mods or scv7 or anything, about as 'stock' as it can be.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hey Jim, do you have a script for 2.3.6 to 2.3.5

just 2.3.6 to 2.3.5, or did you EVER install the ICS leak?

If you did not install the ICS leak, then yes I have a script that this one was ripped from, that I have already completed, and been through beta testing here on the board. If you EVER installed ICS, I do not have a script to get you from 2.3.6 to 2.3.5, just yet, but I am doing some testing for that.

If you want my a2_all_in_one script let me know through PM, and I will reply to you with it.

Don't everyone PM me asking for it. It will be released to everyone very soon, and I will have an option in it to include the script posted in this thread as well, in the near future and before I release to everyone

Last edited:

CapnPez

Nov 1, 2010
Mocksville, NC
OnePlus 8 Pro
just 2.3.6 to 2.3.5, or did you EVER install the ICS leak?

If you did not install the ICS leak, then yes I have a script that this one was ripped from, that I have already completed, and been through beta testing here on the board. If you EVER installed ICS, I do not have a script to get you from 2.3.6 to 2.3.5, just yet, but I am doing some testing for that.

If you want my a2_all_in_one script let me know through PM, and I will reply to you with it.

Don't everyone PM me asking for it. It will be released to everyone very soon, and I will have an option in it to include the script posted in this thread as well, in the near future and before I release to everyone

Jim, correct me if I'm wrong, but (assuming they have installed the ICS leak) could they just go from 2.3.6 to the leak and then use your script again to get back to 2.3.5? I know that's a round-a-bout way. I'm also confirming this for my own interest: If you've already installed leak, but got your way back to 2.3.5 using your script and then ota to 2.3.6, you would have to go the route of installing the leak again in order to get back to stock 2.3.5, right? Otherwise, you would just have to wait for the new script? My apologies if this is obvious...

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Jim, correct me if I'm wrong, but (assuming they have installed the ICS leak) could they just go from 2.3.6 to the leak and then use your script again to get back to 2.3.5? I know that's a round-a-bout way. I'm also confirming this for my own interest: If you've already installed leak, but got your way back to 2.3.5 using your script and then ota to 2.3.6, you would have to go the route of installing the leak again in order to get back to stock 2.3.5, right? Otherwise, you would just have to wait for the new script? My apologies if this is obvious...

Yes, and yes that is a round about way of doing it. I would like to make it easier. I have gone from 2.3.6 to 2.3.5 myself using a "special" patched fxz to do so. But for now until I get the script all worked out, that is an option be it a painful one.

Jim

farshad525hou

Dec 13, 2011
Massachusetts

The only problem with that is that you can't mod 2.3.6 ie. Install bootstrap because then you wkbt be able to update to ICS to re FKZ back to 2.3.5

Sent from my MB865 using xda app-developers app

CapnPez

Nov 1, 2010
Mocksville, NC
OnePlus 8 Pro
The only problem with that is that you can't mod 2.3.6 ie. Install bootstrap because then you wkbt be able to update to ICS to re FKZ back to 2.3.5

Sent from my MB865 using xda app-developers app

I was under the impression that you didn't need bootstrap to install the leak ics. I thought it was stock recovery...

Of course, since I still haven't left 2.3.6 yet, I can't speak from any experience :) . If you're correct, wouldn't that mean people won't be able to get back to the leak if they've returned to 2.3.5 using the script (or am I mis-interpreting?)? I had assumed that with Jim's script people could go 4.0.4 to 2.3.5, then ota to 2.3.6, then stock recovery to 4.0.4 and repeat ad infinitum?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It is very simple just download the correct file there is a version for windows users in a batch file, and a shell script for the Linux and Mac users.

--UPDATE 10/18/2012--

Do NOT use this if you are on leak 2/the soak/the final OTA!!! You will hard brick!!!
    This ONLY works for leak 1, that is dated early July in the build date.

--UPDATE 09/26/2012--

Here are the 2.3.6 fxz scripts as well, that alteredikeness put together when the 2nd leak came out, go thank alteredlikeness for these:

Windows:
    Download: http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Motorola_ATRIX_2_Developers/jimbridgman/A2_backto236_win.zip

Linux/Mac:
    Download: http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Motorola_ATRIX_2_Developers/jimbridgman/a2_backto236_lm.zip

--END UPDATE--

2.3.5 Files:

Windows:

Then unzip the whole thing, do not drag and drop the files, there is an A2_go_back_win directory with all the files in it... extract this directory to either your desktop or C:\ BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DO NOT DRAG JUST THE FILES TO C:\ but you extract the WHOLE directory there.

Then go to your command line (cmd) and cd to either your Desktop or C:\A2_go_back_win then run the restore-to-gb.bat file

Code:
    C:\A2_go_back_win > restore-to-gb.bat

Linux and Mac:

Unzip the file and go to the command line and cd to where you unzipped the file to and cd into the A2_go_back directory. Then run the return_to_gb.sh shell script

The following is an example of how to run this. The directory I use is just and example, please cd to the correct directory you extracted the zip to on your machine.

Code:
    $ ./restore_to_gb.sh

This will ONLY work if you are on ICS, I will get something for 2.3.6 and 2.3.5 from, once you have been on ICS, those are "special" cases so PLEASE do not attempt that until further notice.

If I forgot you please PM me, all of those guys deserve for you to hit their thanks button for either testing, or getting the needed files, or other support.

Looking for testers

Hello all A2 users on ICS,

I am looking for a few adventurous persons willing to test an updated fxz/script option to return to 2.3.6 GB from ICS. I have updated the fxz files and included jim's script (with his blessing) - so, it should work either by script or RSD Lite on Windows.

I am looking for at least 3 Windows users and 3 Linux/Mac users on a current AT&T ICS leak (;)), with intermediate knowledge of Android and your computer OS of choice.
    REMEMBER: Your participation is completely voluntary, so please understand the risks involved - and no one besides yourself is responsible for your phone.

Interested persons: PLEASE DO NOT CLUTTER THIS THREAD WITH QUESTIONS OR SAYING THAT YOU WILL TEST - Instead, please kindly PM me, and I will fill you in on the details.

----------------

So far, 3 successful fxz's from the (first) ICS leak to 2.3.6 on Windows!
    Thank you very much to:
    DX2Trip
    mtnlion
    gabo_e30
    ICS to 2.3.6 FXZ

Well, since Jim and I have both been busy with life and other android things lately, and since I've had only successful test runs of the ICS (leak#1) to GB 2.3.6 fxz package, I suppose I'll just post it and we can work out the details later...

This will return your A2 to AT&T 2.3.6 from the first ICS leak only (as posted here).

Follow the instructions in the OP of this thread (also the tips in the n00b thread). Everything is included in this new package - no need to replace any files. All credit to jimbridgman for the scripts, and google/moto/at&t for the files.

Windows:
    Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/61960599/A2_backto236_win.zip

Linux/Mac:
    Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/61960599/a2_backto236_lm.zip

I, nor anyone else, is responsible for your phone but you...

Yes, this fxz will bring you directly back to 2.3.6 at&t GB (from the first at&t ICS leak only - and/or from any ROM you might be on after installing the first leak package) - eliminating the need for going to 2.3.5 and doing the ota to 2.3.6.

But, Jim's original fxz packages to 2.3.5 in the op still work fine, this is just another option to save a step..

Thanks to the following for testing:
    DX2Trip
    mtnlion
    gabo_e30
    chrisn91
    maybe a few others.. please remind me
    Hello all A2 users on ICS,

I am looking for a few adventurous persons willing to test an updated fxz/script option to return to 2.3.6 GB from ICS. I have updated the fxz files and included jim's script (with his blessing) - so, it should work either by script or RSD Lite on Windows.

I am looking for at least 3 Windows users and 3 Linux/Mac users on a current AT&T ICS leak (;)), with intermediate knowledge of Android and your computer OS of choice.
    REMEMBER: Your participation is completely voluntary, so please understand the risks involved - and no one besides yourself is responsible for your phone.

Interested persons: PLEASE DO NOT CLUTTER THIS THREAD WITH QUESTIONS OR SAYING THAT YOU WILL TEST - Instead, please kindly PM me, and I will fill you in on the details.
    ----------------
    EDIT:
    One successful fxz from ICS to 2.3.6 on Windows! Thank you very much, DX2Trip!!

Not a problem my friend. Glad I could help. It made it way easier to upgrade back too btw to anyone wondering. I did not have to go back to 2.3.5. Went from ICS to 2.3.6 back to ICS no prob. Thanks YOU for helping our community with your development. You have more thanks coming your way from anyone else who wants to use this simple FXZ I'm sure! Keep it up, you guys rock!

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

Got few questions :

regards.