mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
VA4IN.png

You can find a video tutorial here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmem7VhnlQ

Step 1: Overview and Warnings

First we need to familiarize you with what exactly we are doing. For this you can read up on Motorola's Unlock My Device page, which is quite straightforward.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

WARNING: This will void all warranties and all that jazz. No support will be given by Motorola once you unlock and Team Batakang + XDA-Developers + Motorola are not responsible for what you do to your device ever.

Step 2: Device ID and Unlock Key
If you read on the Motorola unlock page, they suggest installing the entire SDK and the drivers from different sites & links and it can take a while. If you want the drivers and the required Windows/Mac/Linux files for unlocking you can simply download my root tool for the RAZR i which includes both needed sets of files.

For Mac:
Download RAZRi_Root_Mac

Find the fastboot binary in the RAZRi_Root_Mac folder for your special device (32bit versus 64bit Mac) and make sure you allow it to be executable. [Example:
Code:
chmod x fastboot.osx32
for 32 bit, or
Code:
chmod x fastboot.osx
for 64 bit.

Open a terminal and 'cd' into the RAZRi_Root_Mac folder.

Type in the fastboot version you ran chmod on before followed by the oem get_unlock_data command.
Code:
fastboot.osx oem get_unlock_data

Scroll down past machine specifics for the rest.

For Linux:

Download RAZRi_Root_Linux

Find the fastboot binary in the RAZRi_Root_Linux folder for your device and make sure you allow it to be executable. [Example:
Code:
chmod x fastboot.linux
or
Code:
chmod x fastboot-linux-i386
for 32 bit Intel.

Open a terminal and 'cd' into the RAZRi_Root_Linux folder.

Type in the fastboot version you ran chmod on before followed by the oem get_unlock_data command.
Code:
fastboot.linux oem get_unlock_data

For PC:

Download RAZRi_Root_Windows

Install the included driver depending on your system (32 bit or 64 bit).

Open cmd.exe and 'cd' into the RAZRi_Root_Windows folder.

Type in:
Code:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data

Step 3: Unlocking
For all:

Motorola's web page will ask you to login with a Motorola or Google account. Make sure its one you know the email password to, because they will be emailing you a code.

Copy the outputs of this command into a notepad or text edit file. Edit away the INFO/(bootloader)/any spaces the code has so it is one continuous string. Copy and paste it into Motorola's next web page: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-b

Hit the 'Can my device be unlocked?'
lphIC.png

Then agree to the terms below and hit 'Request Unlock Code'. It will be emailed to you. Then on your machine setup go back the terminal or cmd you had open and use the command:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock UNQIUE_KEY
or
Code:
fastboot.linux oem unlock UNQIUE_KEY
or
Code:
fastboot.osx oem unlock UNQIUE_KEY
for examples.

Enjoy and make sure to root, my thread on the process is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32575424

posting.png

Brought to you by Team Batakang. Cheers!​

Last edited:

Stennan

Jul 18, 2010
Many thanks. Found your posts over at razr forums, will batakang be posting any ROMs here at XDA or is razer forums your home turf? Thinking about getting the razr i, but would like to have custom ROM support in case the New Motorola starts acting like the Old Motorola.

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Many thanks. Found your posts over at razr forums, will batakang be posting any ROMs here at XDA or is razer forums your home turf? Thinking about getting the razr i, but would like to have custom ROM support in case the New Motorola starts acting like the Old Motorola.

Our plan is to post our work on DroidRzr.com as well as XDA-Developers.com. Being an admin at DroidRzr makes it easier to manage things to my liking, and the chat room really helps me..well help normal users in trouble. I Teamviewered into a Polish member's Windows 8 machine the other day to unlock and root his RAZR i when he had trouble understanding, something that would be a bit harder to setup in PM-tag.

Reactions: ReeSilva

Robbilie

Jul 11, 2012
Ratingen
Just curious dont know if this is possible in general:

Can we relock the razr i?

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

Robbilie

Jul 11, 2012
Ratingen
With relocking i meant a way that the cant track that it has been unlocked so i could for example send it back to amazon...

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
With relocking i meant a way that the cant track that it has been unlocked so i could for example send it back to amazon...

You can relock and you can flash the locked logo to the ulogo partition.

Code:
fastboot oem lock

Just make sure everything on your phone is stock un-modified. If you are running the insecured kernel you won't be able to boot unless you flash back the normal one if you lock.

JackyJack

Jun 17, 2011
Paris
When the bootload is unlocked, is it possile to flash the /boot partition directly from recovery, or do you need to be connected to a computer via fastboot and some crapy stuff ? (like xperia series)

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
I assume Motorola would still be able to check their records and see that the phone has been unlocked in the past, right? I guess retailers wouldn't go to this trouble, but Motorola might just be cheap enough to do it so they can deny warranty service.

Motorola will definitely know you voided the second you unlocked. Retailers maybe not but the device will forever lose its warranty with Motorola.

Jokerchris2000

Jun 11, 2009
So this is the thing that keeps me from unlocking. How does Motorola behave if you still send it in with an unlocked bootloader even if the problem is obviously a hardware one.

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
So this is the thing that keeps me from unlocking. How does Motorola behave if you still send it in with an unlocked bootloader even if the problem is obviously a hardware one.

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app

You can read through the legal documentation and warranty stuff on their site. Since the warranty is voided they have every right to charge you for the repair. Do not unlock before making sure your hardware is all OK would be my suggestion.

therazrguy

Dec 22, 2011
I assume Motorola would still be able to check their records and see that the phone has been unlocked in the past, right? I guess retailers wouldn't go to this trouble, but Motorola might just be cheap enough to do it so they can deny warranty service.

LOL They will know it instantly, they send you a mail of your unique key
dafuq

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
I can't believe SOFTWARE-unlocking the phone voids the HARDWARE warranty. I guess time will tell if this is just boilerplate-legal protection, or if they really intend to refuse the hardware warranty for unlocked phones.

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
I can't believe SOFTWARE-unlocking the phone voids the HARDWARE warranty. I guess time will tell if this is just boilerplate-legal protection, or if they really intend to refuse the hardware warranty for unlocked phones.
Unlocked software can command the hardware to do anything it's capable of, even if it ends up cooking the hardware in the process. It makes sense for them to not warranty anything unlocked.

TrippleT

Sep 14, 2008
Planet Jupiter
Can someone explain what´s wrong...???

fastboot oem get_unlock_code...FAILED (remote: Restricted OEM command)...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VA4IN.png

You can find a video tutorial here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmem7VhnlQ

Step 1: Overview and Warnings

First we need to familiarize you with what exactly we are doing. For this you can read up on Motorola's Unlock My Device page, which is quite straightforward.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

WARNING: This will void all warranties and all that jazz. No support will be given by Motorola once you unlock and Team Batakang + XDA-Developers + Motorola are not responsible for what you do to your device ever.

Step 2: Device ID and Unlock Key
    If you read on the Motorola unlock page, they suggest installing the entire SDK and the drivers from different sites & links and it can take a while. If you want the drivers and the required Windows/Mac/Linux files for unlocking you can simply download my root tool for the RAZR i which includes both needed sets of files.

For Mac:
    Download RAZRi_Root_Mac

Find the fastboot binary in the RAZRi_Root_Mac folder for your special device (32bit versus 64bit Mac) and make sure you allow it to be executable. [Example:
    Code:
    chmod x fastboot.osx32
    for 32 bit, or
    Code:
    chmod x fastboot.osx
    for 64 bit.

Open a terminal and 'cd' into the RAZRi_Root_Mac folder.

Code:
    fastboot.osx oem get_unlock_data

For Linux:

Download RAZRi_Root_Linux

Find the fastboot binary in the RAZRi_Root_Linux folder for your device and make sure you allow it to be executable. [Example:
    Code:
    chmod x fastboot.linux
    or
    Code:
    chmod x fastboot-linux-i386
    for 32 bit Intel.

Open a terminal and 'cd' into the RAZRi_Root_Linux folder.

Code:
    fastboot.linux oem get_unlock_data

For PC:

Download RAZRi_Root_Windows

Install the included driver depending on your system (32 bit or 64 bit).

Open cmd.exe and 'cd' into the RAZRi_Root_Windows folder.

Type in:
    Code:
    fastboot oem get_unlock_data

Step 3: Unlocking
    For all:

Motorola's web page will ask you to login with a Motorola or Google account. Make sure its one you know the email password to, because they will be emailing you a code.

Copy the outputs of this command into a notepad or text edit file. Edit away the INFO/(bootloader)/any spaces the code has so it is one continuous string. Copy and paste it into Motorola's next web page: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-b

Hit the 'Can my device be unlocked?'
    lphIC.png

Then agree to the terms below and hit 'Request Unlock Code'. It will be emailed to you. Then on your machine setup go back the terminal or cmd you had open and use the command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock UNQIUE_KEY
    or
    Code:
    fastboot.linux oem unlock UNQIUE_KEY
    or
    Code:
    fastboot.osx oem unlock UNQIUE_KEY
    for examples.

Enjoy and make sure to root, my thread on the process is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32575424

posting.png

Brought to you by Team Batakang. Cheers!​
    You updated your i already? If yes, you need an Bootlogo with an higher secure level, like the 40002 EU. Wait an couple of minutes, i will attache one.

Sent from my XT910

Edit: For the usual Logo run the Locked Logo.bat
    For the unlocked Logo the unlocked Logo.bat

Unbenannt.png

Edit again: You found it already ;)
    Is there a way to get rid of the ugly bootloader logo that states that we have it unlocked??

Thanks!

Thorsten

If you want to get rid of the unlocked bootloader message you have to flash new bootlogo image. Use the one in my attachment and flash it using fastboot:

fastboot flash logo lockedlogo.bmp

fastboot flash ulogo lockedlogo.bmp
    I want to try it but before i do, after rooting will i lose any updates from Motorola in the future?

Rooting itself does not make you lose the ability to get OTA updates. If you removed some necessary apps that the updates check and did not replace them, then the updates would failed. However rooting won't affect updates.

Our plan is to post our work on DroidRzr.com as well as XDA-Developers.com. Being an admin at DroidRzr makes it easier to manage things to my liking, and the chat room really helps me..well help normal users in trouble. I Teamviewered into a Polish member's Windows 8 machine the other day to unlock and root his RAZR i when he had trouble understanding, something that would be a bit harder to setup in PM-tag.