Tmobile blocking tether?

Search This thread

negroplasty

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix
Not long ago I tested both wireless tether for root users and the built in wired tether on Cyan's 5.0.4.1 and both worked just fine. Today I tried to use tether and can't seem to get either working... Connects just fine and windows even says the connection has internet access but when trying to load a web page only the up arrow on the data icon lights up and the down arrow never comes on. I've only used it a few times and haven't downloaded any large files or anything. Is it possible T-mobile is somehow blocking internet access while tethered (ports maybe?), and has anyone experienced anything similar on t-mo?

Wii60

Jun 25, 2009
works great

Works great for me! Perhaps that leaf in your avatar is making you a touch paranoid?

gregnotcraig

Jan 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
azgeek.us
No problems here. I use wifi/usb tether all the time - the connection is better than the wifi we get in the neighborhood (community wifi thing)
Bandwidth is a non issue. You ARE connecting with an unlimited data plan, right?

ccunningham83

Feb 13, 2009
Dallas
T-Mobile doesn't know you are tethering. They can only see you are using data. They don't know if you are streaming a youtube video on your phone or browsing the internet on your computer while tethering. I'm pretty sure the issue is elsewhere. They will be able to see how much data you use (I believe your phone doesn't use that much). What really eats up data is streaming videos or downloading files (music, the latest ROM, or whatever). I have used the crap out of tethering and never had T-Mobile cut me off. I hear once you use 10 GB of data they severly slow your connection, but it should still work.

negroplasty

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix
After flashing Cyan's 5.0.5 everything is working again, learned my lesson to keep away from "optimized" versions of already near perfect Cyan roms. Appreciate the input nonetheless, thanks :) .