[APP] *TrackMe* GPS/WiFi/Cell Tracking recorder for hikers and travelers with offline/online mapping (now support 17 different maps!)

Search This thread

luke.kemp

Nov 22, 2007
Updating gps position

Hi,

with regards to the server - It was just me being a muppet when setting it up!

Just another quickie though... I'm running trackme on the htc desire z. When tracking, the tracking only really updates every 30 seconds or so when the keep screen on option is selected. However, when the screen is off, it only updates every few minutes.

Is it the phone causing this?

Thanks

Luke

jmcourir

Feb 7, 2009
Québec
Hi _Lem_

Could you explain to me how to fix on getting such bad GPS data ?
Here is a picture of what I get.
20120823-e5i-125kb.jpg

Here are my settings on my Samsung Galaxy S2 Android ICS 4.0.3

Minimum Distance 75m
Minimum Time 30sec
Minimum Accuracy 300m

Source
GPS Checked
Wifi and Cell Network Unchecked

Maybe I have something wrong.....

Maybe this question as been already asked, ''I hope not'' ....

Thank you for that nice piece of app _LEM_:good:

JmCourir

_LEM_

Mar 17, 2006
luisespinosa.com
Hi _Lem_

Could you explain to me how to fix on getting such bad GPS data ?
Here is a picture of what I get.
20120823-e5i-125kb.jpg

Here are my settings on my Samsung Galaxy S2 Android ICS 4.0.3

Minimum Distance 75m
Minimum Time 30sec
Minimum Accuracy 300m

Source
GPS Checked
Wifi and Cell Network Unchecked

Maybe I have something wrong.....

Maybe this question as been already asked, ''I hope not'' ....

Thank you for that nice piece of app _LEM_:good:

JmCourir

Last time I saw that problem was with one of my old Windows Mobile devices.
However I have never seen that on a Windows Phone or Android device. Even if that happens it should be filtered out by the Accuracy parameter that you have.
So for some reason you are getting invalid positions with a good accuracy... very weird.

Are you using my server? If so, could you PM your username? I want to take a look at the positions in the database in case I see something wrong.

Thanks

_LEM_

Mar 17, 2006
luisespinosa.com
By the way, I need some help here...

My web hosting has recently been updated and for some reason the web viewer has stopped working.
As you guys know I didn't write it and I haven't heard from the developers in a long long time so it's hard for me to fix it.

The first fix that I made was to replace the function 'split' by 'preg_split' because it has been deprecated. Now I don't get any error messages but I don't see any positions.

Could anybody take a look at the index.php file in case you guys have any ideas?
I don't know what else to try!

Thanks

jmcourir

Feb 7, 2009
Québec
Last time I saw that problem was with one of my old Windows Mobile devices.
However I have never seen that on a Windows Phone or Android device. Even if that happens it should be filtered out by the Accuracy parameter that you have.
So for some reason you are getting invalid positions with a good accuracy... very weird.

Are you using my server? If so, could you PM your username? I want to take a look at the positions in the database in case I see something wrong.

Thanks

Hi _LEM_

This is from my server,

I PM you with the link of KML file link... Is that ok for you ?
Thanks for replying!

:)

JmCourir

_LEM_

Mar 17, 2006
luisespinosa.com
hey guys, I'm still trying to find the problem with the web viewer. It's driving me crazy... I updated PHP to 5.3 but still get shows no data.
Any ideas?

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
hey guys, I'm still trying to find the problem with the web viewer. It's driving me crazy... I updated PHP to 5.3 but still get shows no data.
Any ideas?

the old code, new code, when did this happen? Can you access web files to see if there are PHP errors?

Oops, just noticed your post from a week ago, I had missed it somehow.. Hmff, there has to be some error going on somewhere. Not sure if you can run the individual pieces directly with PHP or not, I'd think so, but might need to do a little more than just php index.php or such, might have to set up some kind of environment to emulate the web stuff (referer, parameters, etc, not sure)

I'm still on 5.2.10 here. Working okay, except the Map layer is slow, I think Google is slowing down the old Maps API. Converting it would be tedious so just haven't attempted it yet.

Last edited:

_LEM_

Mar 17, 2006
luisespinosa.com
Thanks. I have already spend a lot of time on this and I cannot find out why is not working. Not sure what else to try.
I will keep trying for a while but I don't really want to spend more time on this. If I cannot get this to work I'm afraid I will stop working on TrackMe. I really don't feel like writing a whole new viewer specially because nobody is contributing to this app anymore like it used to be before.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Thanks. I have already spend a lot of time on this and I cannot find out why is not working. Not sure what else to try.
I will keep trying for a while but I don't really want to spend more time on this. If I cannot get this to work I'm afraid I will stop working on TrackMe. I really don't feel like writing a whole new viewer specially because nobody is contributing to this app anymore like it used to be before.

I wouldn't think a total rewrite would be necessary, but I understand what you mean. Do you think PHP 5.3.x caused the problem? I'll see if I can get a VM up with a 5.3.x system and get the viewer going on it.

I do know eventually the Maps API will need redoing, Google will deprecate it at some point. I've done a LITTLE Maps API stuff so I might look into it at some point. My server has quite a few changes from your base code, although at this point I don't even remember what they are specifically... Some export stuff, maybe an added php file or two to do some other stuff, independent of the viewer itself..

None the less I think most of the Maps API stuff is pretty well contained in the viewer from what I remember, and it shouldn't be too difficult to convert it.

I know I use it daily (various devices upload their location using Tasker, or CSV data from my track logger) and use the viewer probably weekly, and use the database itself every time I do photography (geotagging) and often use it to export data from my cycling to draw maps etc. So either way, I won't be giving up on it, I just gotta do some testing on 5.3.x and see if I can resolve what's going on.

If you don't hear from me in a few days, feel free to PM me to remind me.

_LEM_

Mar 17, 2006
luisespinosa.com
khaytsus,

Thanks a lot for your help. The server was running PHP 4.0 when it stopped working. My web hosting must have done something because suddenly we got that "deprecated" error message with the split function. I replaced that function with preg_split and now I don't get the error, but no points are shown on the screen. My provider had an option to upgrade it, so I did to 5.3. However same problem. No points are drawn on the map.

I already have started getting some negative feedback on the Android marketplace because new users think this doesn't work. Kind of frustrating... I had to disable the viewer for now. Probably the error is something silly but I'm not too familiar with PHP so it makes it very difficult for me.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
khaytsus,

Thanks a lot for your help. The server was running PHP 4.0 when it stopped working. My web hosting must have done something because suddenly we got that "deprecated" error message with the split function. I replaced that function with preg_split and now I don't get the error, but no points are shown on the screen. My provider had an option to upgrade it, so I did to 5.3. However same problem. No points are drawn on the map.

I already have started getting some negative feedback on the Android marketplace because new users think this doesn't work. Kind of frustrating... I had to disable the viewer for now. Probably the error is something silly but I'm not too familiar with PHP so it makes it very difficult for me.

Well crap, if it was working on 4.0, I've been on 4.x in the past, 5.2.x right now.. That doesn't seem to be it. I was thinking maybe your web hosting updated something under you.

I'm not sure what I can do on my end then, I was thinking it was a 5.3.0 thing to figure out... Could you try setting up a separate instance of it on a new database and see what happens? Maybe something weird going on with the database, but I'm just guessing at this point.

I was going to log into the viewer and look at something, but it's disabled. Could you enable it maybe and let me look? I have no idea if I'll see anything, but curious. I'm wondering if the Google API is broken...

When you say on your website "No Google API Needed" I'm confused.. It still needs the API key, as it's still on the v2 API, just downloaded the code to double-check..

_LEM_

Mar 17, 2006
luisespinosa.com
_LEM_
so... what about THIS ? (about "automatic upload of offline buffered data")

Yes, I was planning to release that feature for the next update but development is stopped right now until I am able to resolve the problem with the web viewer which doesn't look very promising so far... I gave up but I have a couple of persons who may take a look soon. ::crying:

VintonPD196

Sep 17, 2012
Yes, I was planning to release that feature for the next update but development is stopped right now until I am able to resolve the problem with the web viewer which doesn't look very promising so far... I gave up but I have a couple of persons who may take a look soon. ::crying:

Please work on getting this fixed. I finally found a tracking app that gives me the information that I need, and blame... it crashes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    screenshot11.png
    screenshot22.png
    screenshot33.png
    screenshot44.png
    screenshot55.png
    screenshot66.png
    screenshot77.png
    screenshot88.png
    screenshot99.png
    screenshot100.png

HISTORY

TrackMe is the conversion of the popular tool written originally for Windows Mobile 5 and 6. This version for Android has widely extended the WM version and includes tons of new features. You can find the original thread for TrackMe for WM here

WHAT IS TRACKME?

TrackMe is a GPS/WiFi/Cell ID tracker. It records your path, speed, altitude, distance, temperature and other parameters. It can also be started remotely using text messages from any other phone.
    You can view your data (live or recorded) from your phone or also from any browser if you sync it with a TrackMe server.

Features

* Works with no internet connection. All your data is stored on your phone unless that you decide to sync it with a TrackMe server.
    * Stealth mode: Start/stop recording or send your position by sms by sending text messages from other phones without having TrackMe installed.
    * Add markers with pictures, comments, file attachments or voice notes to your routes.
    * Automatic image matching. You can match existing photos stored on your phone with any of your routes. TrackMe will try to find the closest match by using the tags stored inside the photos.
    * Detailed route summary.
    * Load any GPX files on the map and follow them!
    * Show nearby markers. Check on the map for nearby markers that you have added previously in other routes. Very useful if you are trying to go back to a place that you have visited before.
    * Cloud sharing. Share public or privately your position on the map. You can use this to meet with a person, if you both got lost from each other, if you want to see where the person is if it went on a trip...
    This feature can be also started and stopped from any other phone using text messages.
    * Export and import routes using KML or GPX files.
    * Share your position on WhatsApp, sms, email, twitter...
    * Highly customizable.
    * Use our own server free of charge or your own!
    * And much more!

DOWNLOAD
    Marketplace

HOW TO USE YOUR OWN SERVER
    Click here for instructions (Google Maps API not needed)

CUSTOM WEB VIEWER DEVELOPMENT AND USER PLUGINS
    Click here to visit the thread

WEB BROWSER VIEWER
    Created by OpitZle, pammetje, mcross, jcleek and _LEM_ (only TrackMe client<->server communication)

jcleek1.jpg

SYNCING YOUR DATA WITH A TRACKME SERVER (you only need the app on your phone)

Let's suppose your wife wants to track your location in real-time.

On your phone: Enable "Sync my positions" in Settings->TrackMe Server Settings->Sync my positions. You also need to enter a username and password.
    Now your wife can go to http://luisespinosa.com/trackme from a browser, enter that username and password and enable "Live Tracking On/Off" to see your current position. You need to start recording on the TrackMe app for all this to work.

Keep in mind that Cloud Sharing is less accurate. Syncing with a TrackMe server will allow you as much accuracy as you need, by adjusting the GPS, WiFi, QuickFix, Minimum Accuracy/Distance/Time values in the settings.
    hey guys,

I'm back to development! I just uploaded a new version where I have added the initial logic to let users remove ads.
    It's not available yet, it will in the next version.

Once I have that done, I will add the option to upload images which has been on my to-do list for a long time.

I also want to create a very light version of TrackMe for tracking phones. I get several emails every week about that asking
    how to do it.

Glad to be finally back. I'm a little rusty developing on Android, but hopefully it'll be just a matter of time! :angel:
    new web viewer

Hi!

I tried posting this in web development thread, but I don't have 10 posts :(
    When I earn some points I may repost it there, where it belongs

I wrote a web viewer for TrackMe data. It is a complete rewrite of the original viewer. The only thing that is left of old viewer is interface look and feel.
    It uses Google Maps API v3 but I plan to implement also an OpenStreetMap alternative.
    My viewer is based on ajax, so everything works dynamically without page reloading.
    I use TrackMe on Android, so I implemented only the functions present in this version. There is no support for photos or comments. I will surely add those features when they become present on Android :)
    On the other hand I added altitudes graph. I thought about adding other graphs (like speed) and statistics but gps data I get with the Android app often miss info like speed, angle etc. (why?)
    The code is GPL, so everybody can contribute or reuse it. If you make changes to it please contribute your patches back :)

The code is available at github:
    https://github.com/bfabiszewski/phpTrackme

You can see a simple demo at:
    http://flaa.fabiszewski.net/phptrackme/
    (auto registration of new users from client is blocked on this site)
    hey guys...new updates soon! Working on TrackMe again with new features ;)