How to use a sd-ext on HTC Buzz (Wildfire)

Search This thread
Hi all,

I just spent ages trying to figure out how to partition my SD card on HTC wildfire and configure it to have CyanogenMod 7.1.0.1.

WARNING, THIS TUTORIAL IS ASSUMING YOU ALREADY HAVE A ROOTED PHONE, DO NOT FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL IF YOUR PHONE IS NOT ROOTED & S-OFF. - I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE GETS BRICKED, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

WARNING, ALL DATA WILL BE LOST FROM BOTH SD CARD AND PHONE MEMORY - Backup all pictures / music by copying them to a folder on your computer.
Your apps will automatically be backed up (Providing you have updated your Android Market to Google Play)

Step 1 - Download these necessary files onto your desktop and put the first one onto the root of your micro sd card:
- http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-buzz.zip
- http://download.cyanogenmod.com/torrents/update-cm-7.1.0.1-buzz-signed.zip.torrent
- http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Step 2 - Open Recovery Mode
- Hold down the power button and select reboot (if available) and then select recovery.
- If this does not show up, follow these steps below:
1. Turn your phone off.
2. Hold down the volume down button and the power button until the Revolutionary screen pops up.
3. Tap volume down once, (highlight the word recovery) and tap the power button.

Step 3 – Update The ClockworkMod Recovery.
- At the moment, you will have green text, and a black background. (This is version 2.5.0.1)
- This is the base version that your phone will run on, and does not support SD-ext for the HTC wildfire.
- Move your trackpad down so that you have "install zip from sdcard" highlighted. Tap the trackpad to select it.
- Now highlight and select "choose zip from sdcard"
- A list of files in your SD card will be shown.
- MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING HERE THAT YOU WISH TO KEEP OR HAVEN'T MADE A BACKUP OF.
- Highlight and select "recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-buzz.zip", which you saved to the root of your SD card.
- Confirm the install, and select "Yes - install recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-buzz.zip"
- A few lines of code will be shown, then everything will turn blue and the background will change.
- You now temporarily have ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.0

Step 4 – Clear Everything
- Here is where you must have backed everything up.
- Select Mounts and storage.
- You will see the following (if some say unmounts instead of mount, make them say mount by selecting them):
- Mount /cache
- Mount /data
- Mount /system
- Mount /sd-ext
- Format /boot
- Format /cache
- Format /data
- Format /sdcard
- Format /system
- Format /sd-ext
- Mount USB storage
- format everything on the page, they should all work, but
- You will get an error on the sd-ext (this is meant to happen so don’t worry)
- Now go back (tap the power button) and select “wipe data/factory reset
- And finally select wipe cache partition

Step 5 – Partition the SD card
- Scroll down, and select “Advanced”
- Select “Partition SD Card
- Choose your Ext Size (I recommend choosing half of the storage space that your card is.
- For a 256mb card, select 128M
- For a 512mb card, select 256M
- For a 1gb card, select 512M
- For a 2gb card, select 1024M
- For a 4gb card, select 2048M
- For a 8gb card, select 4096M
- any memory card higher than this will not be partitioned, the phone will not be able to read it properly, but I would recommend an 8gb card, and if you have any smaller than 1gb, I wouldn’t even bother wasting your time – but go ahead if you wish.
- Now it will ask you what Swap size you want:
- If you have a 256mb or a 512mb card, select 0M.
- If you have a 1gb or a 2gb card, select 32M.
- If you have a 4gb or a 8gb card, select 64M.
- If it asks to confirm, select yes, now wait for a few minutes (grab a drink – you’ve earned it).

Step 6 - Preparing CyanogenMod 7.1.0.1
- Once you’ve partitioned your card, Tap Reboot Recovery in the Advanced Menu.
- You will be back to the normal green text and black background.
- Scroll down to “install zip from sdcard”
- Select “choose zip from sdcard” Now there’s nothing on your sd card. If this has happened, then you know your card has been successfully partitioned.
- Take out the battery of your phone, and then the memory card.
- Put the memory card in your computer (you should also notice that the size has halved)
- Put the other two files from your desktop onto the root of your micro SD card.

Step 7 - Installing CyanogenMod 7.1.0.1
- Put the sd card back in the phone, and turn the phone on normally.
- You will automatically be taken to Revolutionary because you’ve wiped the phone
- Open up ClockworkMod Recovery again (by pressing the down volume key once, followed by the power button)
- You will still have the green writing and the black background (v2.5.0.1)
- Select “install zip from sdcard”
- Select “choose zip from sdcard”
- Locate “update-cm-7.1.0.1-buzz-signed.zip” and install.
- [OPTIONAL – GOOGLE APPS]
- Locate “gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip” and install
- Go back, and select “reboot system now”
- Startup will take a little bit longer than normal, don’t worry, this is normal.
- Login with your Google account and follow the Startup process like you did when you got the phone new. (or similar at least :p)

Step 8 - Get Your Apps Back
- On your computer, visit https://play.google.com/apps
- Select install on every app that you want that you’ve previously downloaded from the market.

Step 9 – Get Pictures / Music Back
- On your default home screen on your phone, Tap Menu / Settings / Storage / Unmount SD Card.
- Put the memory card in your computer
- Copy the files from the folder that you backed up earlier on onto the card.
- Put the memory card back in the phone.

Step 10 – Install S2E (simple2ext)
- Open up Google Play on your phone and search for S2E and install the first one that comes up.
- OR visit https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.krikun.s2e on your computer and install the app through there.

Step 11 – Configuring S2E (simple2ext)
- Once you have the app installed, open up S2E (Doesn’t matter if other apps are still installing / Downloading)
- check every single box on the main app page.
- If some items cannot be highlighted, don’t worry for the minute, just highlight what you can.
- Now press the menu button within the app, and select “Settings”
- Make “Advanced mode” be checked
- Make “Extended partitions info” be checked
- Make “Set read buffer” be checked (and set the buffer size to 2MB)
- DO NOT MOUNT AS EXT4 OR SELECT IMPORT – EVER!
- Press back, and then tap the menu button again.
- This time, select the reboot option.
- Once the phone has rebooted play a few apps, open the browser send a text, etc… (Do anything that will use memory on your phone – Facebook’s a good one)
- Now open up S2E again, and the options that were not available earlier are now available, select them, and reboot again from Menu / Reboot within the app.

- CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE INSTALLED CYANOGENMOD 7.1.0.1 WITH AN SD-EXT. :)

If you ever want to see how much space you have left for apps, data, cache, etc… Download “FreeSpace” from Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.krikun.freespace

Hoped this helped guys,
I just feel this needs to be on the internet after the amount of time I spent fiddling with my phone, trying to figure this out.

source form htcwildfireforum.com

Last edited:

huston8

Apr 15, 2012
Mumbai
Hi all,

- Choose your Ext Size (I recommend choosing half of the storage space that your card is.
- any memory card higher than this will not be partitioned, the phone will not be able to read it properly, but I would recommend an 8gb card, and if you have any smaller than 1gb, I wouldn’t even bother wasting your time – but go ahead if you wish.

Do you really need to have a partition of SD card to exactly half?
For instance 512M is enough for 8Gb card.....

Reactions: Gilbert_Sarip

Scratch0805

Jun 18, 2011
Sheffield
Also a 16gb class 10 card gives no problems at all when partitioned....... :confused:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using xda premium

Slymobi

Jan 29, 2011
Here
I have 8g card and always have a 256mb partition set. Never needed any more than that. I also use custom mtd along side with various sizes depending on rom.

using my thanks as likes

android_user_007

Jun 3, 2012
Awesome...... Thank you very much. Instead of installing update-cm-7.1.0.1-buzz-signed.zip, I had used SplashMOD_v2.0-Final which installed really smoothly without any problem.

stsaerox

Dec 15, 2012
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nintendo Switch
Problem with partition: Solved

Just mentioning for anyone that has problems.
I could select only a few options is S2E and I could not use extended partition. I could not add apps to this or mount from recovery.

Actually I formatted it from recovery and then it worked. Sorry if it is a step of the installation procedure that I did not see.

How does this partition works? My data space is completely free... If I need an app to run even if I removed the SD card how do I install this to the app data?

gobz

Nov 16, 2012
Pune

This not correct dude. size of 256/512 is nore than sufficient for wildfire.
I personally had 512/8gb but I had to format it to reduce it to 256.
Also the swap increases USB mount time very significantly. On cm9 I had to disable swap in order to mount it. Swap is not recommended for low end devices like htc buzz and I had read that it DAMAGES the SD card.
Plus swap enabled and disabled did not make a difference for me!

Last point:s2e is terribly slow. I recommend using cronmod script. It will mount SD EXT automatically at boot and ensure faster execution.
Sorry for bugging!;)

massofsin

Nov 3, 2012
Novi Sad
Also on step 6, where it says
"- Take out the battery of your phone, and then the memory card."
I think that there is a option to power off, not just shocking device in my opinion :D but ok...

I use link2sd which can show "storage use" ... no problems at all.

Reactions: uZzY94

laurentvdp

Feb 23, 2013
cm9

is this methode also helpfull on a cm9?
and does this patition works as internal memory

when some apps are moved to SD card, I always need to login again and again every time i start them up. (f.e. facebook, twitter, but also my agenda widget wouldn't work when moved. Will this solve the issue?

laurentvdp

Feb 23, 2013
so I tried it with cm9. but there is something not working with s2e... I can't check any of the options in the main screen nor is there is an option "advanced" in the settings.
what did i do wrong?

in the log list of s2e i find the following:
Initialization...

Ext partition found: /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Use built-in tune2fs

Use built-in e2fsck

Setup read_ahead value

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 not mounted... Exit!

laurentvdp

Feb 23, 2013
- Once you have the app installed, open up S2E (Doesn’t matter if other apps are still installing / Downloading)
- If some items cannot be highlighted, don’t worry for the minute, just highlight what you can.
- Once the phone has rebooted play a few apps, open the browser send a text, etc… (Do anything that will use memory on your phone – Facebook’s a good one)
- Now open up S2E again, and the options that were not available earlier are now available, select them, and reboot again from Menu / Reboot within the app.

So this is the step where all doesn't go according to plan.
so I succesfully partitioned my sd. installed cm and installed s2e from your link.
but s2e doesn't work as described. In the main screen , there are no boxes to mark. also no option to reboot in the application. nor is there an advanced section in the settings.

is this an other application nowadays? or did I do something wrong? in my previous post I put the log I find in s2e after starting?

could someone help?

drewniany92

Jul 18, 2012
Odp: How to use a sd-ext on HTC Buzz (Wildfire)

s2e won't work with ics ); install darktremor script instead. then run it in terminal emulator and ur apps will be on sd ext.

Wysyłane z mojego Wildfire za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I just spent ages trying to figure out how to partition my SD card on HTC wildfire and configure it to have CyanogenMod 7.1.0.1.

WARNING, THIS TUTORIAL IS ASSUMING YOU ALREADY HAVE A ROOTED PHONE, DO NOT FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL IF YOUR PHONE IS NOT ROOTED & S-OFF. - I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE GETS BRICKED, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

WARNING, ALL DATA WILL BE LOST FROM BOTH SD CARD AND PHONE MEMORY - Backup all pictures / music by copying them to a folder on your computer.
    Your apps will automatically be backed up (Providing you have updated your Android Market to Google Play)

Step 1 - Download these necessary files onto your desktop and put the first one onto the root of your micro sd card:
    - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-buzz.zip
    - http://download.cyanogenmod.com/torrents/update-cm-7.1.0.1-buzz-signed.zip.torrent
    - http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Step 2 - Open Recovery Mode
    - Hold down the power button and select reboot (if available) and then select recovery.
    - If this does not show up, follow these steps below:
    1. Turn your phone off.
    2. Hold down the volume down button and the power button until the Revolutionary screen pops up.
    3. Tap volume down once, (highlight the word recovery) and tap the power button.

Step 3 – Update The ClockworkMod Recovery.
    - At the moment, you will have green text, and a black background. (This is version 2.5.0.1)
    - This is the base version that your phone will run on, and does not support SD-ext for the HTC wildfire.
    - Move your trackpad down so that you have "install zip from sdcard" highlighted. Tap the trackpad to select it.
    - Now highlight and select "choose zip from sdcard"
    - A list of files in your SD card will be shown.
    - MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING HERE THAT YOU WISH TO KEEP OR HAVEN'T MADE A BACKUP OF.
    - Highlight and select "recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-buzz.zip", which you saved to the root of your SD card.
    - Confirm the install, and select "Yes - install recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-buzz.zip"
    - A few lines of code will be shown, then everything will turn blue and the background will change.
    - You now temporarily have ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.0

Step 4 – Clear Everything
    - Here is where you must have backed everything up.
    - Select Mounts and storage.
    - You will see the following (if some say unmounts instead of mount, make them say mount by selecting them):
    - Mount /cache
    - Mount /data
    - Mount /system
    - Mount /sd-ext
    - Format /boot
    - Format /cache
    - Format /data
    - Format /sdcard
    - Format /system
    - Format /sd-ext
    - Mount USB storage
    - format everything on the page, they should all work, but
    - You will get an error on the sd-ext (this is meant to happen so don’t worry)
    - Now go back (tap the power button) and select “wipe data/factory reset
    - And finally select wipe cache partition

- Now it will ask you what Swap size you want:
    - If you have a 256mb or a 512mb card, select 0M.
    - If you have a 1gb or a 2gb card, select 32M.
    - If you have a 4gb or a 8gb card, select 64M.
    - If it asks to confirm, select yes, now wait for a few minutes (grab a drink – you’ve earned it).

Step 6 - Preparing CyanogenMod 7.1.0.1
    - Once you’ve partitioned your card, Tap Reboot Recovery in the Advanced Menu.
    - You will be back to the normal green text and black background.
    - Scroll down to “install zip from sdcard”
    - Select “choose zip from sdcard” Now there’s nothing on your sd card. If this has happened, then you know your card has been successfully partitioned.
    - Take out the battery of your phone, and then the memory card.
    - Put the memory card in your computer (you should also notice that the size has halved)
    - Put the other two files from your desktop onto the root of your micro SD card.

Step 7 - Installing CyanogenMod 7.1.0.1
    - Put the sd card back in the phone, and turn the phone on normally.
    - You will automatically be taken to Revolutionary because you’ve wiped the phone
    - Open up ClockworkMod Recovery again (by pressing the down volume key once, followed by the power button)
    - You will still have the green writing and the black background (v2.5.0.1)
    - Locate “update-cm-7.1.0.1-buzz-signed.zip” and install.
    - [OPTIONAL – GOOGLE APPS]
    - Locate “gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip” and install
    - Go back, and select “reboot system now”
    - Startup will take a little bit longer than normal, don’t worry, this is normal.
    - Login with your Google account and follow the Startup process like you did when you got the phone new. (or similar at least :p)

Step 8 - Get Your Apps Back
    - On your computer, visit https://play.google.com/apps
    - Select install on every app that you want that you’ve previously downloaded from the market.

Step 9 – Get Pictures / Music Back
    - On your default home screen on your phone, Tap Menu / Settings / Storage / Unmount SD Card.
    - Put the memory card in your computer
    - Copy the files from the folder that you backed up earlier on onto the card.
    - Put the memory card back in the phone.

Step 10 – Install S2E (simple2ext)
    - Open up Google Play on your phone and search for S2E and install the first one that comes up.
    - OR visit https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.krikun.s2e on your computer and install the app through there.

- CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE INSTALLED CYANOGENMOD 7.1.0.1 WITH AN SD-EXT. :)

If you ever want to see how much space you have left for apps, data, cache, etc… Download “FreeSpace” from Google Play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.krikun.freespace

Hoped this helped guys,
    I just feel this needs to be on the internet after the amount of time I spent fiddling with my phone, trying to figure this out.

This not correct dude. size of 256/512 is nore than sufficient for wildfire.
    I personally had 512/8gb but I had to format it to reduce it to 256.
    Also the swap increases USB mount time very significantly. On cm9 I had to disable swap in order to mount it. Swap is not recommended for low end devices like htc buzz and I had read that it DAMAGES the SD card.
    Plus swap enabled and disabled did not make a difference for me!

Last point:s2e is terribly slow. I recommend using cronmod script. It will mount SD EXT automatically at boot and ensure faster execution.
    Sorry for bugging!;)
    Hi all,

Do you really need to have a partition of SD card to exactly half?
    For instance 512M is enough for 8Gb card.....
    I have 8g card and always have a 256mb partition set. Never needed any more than that. I also use custom mtd along side with various sizes depending on rom.

using my thanks as likes
    Really nice job mate!!
    One question for you ..: this guide is only for caynogen users ?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using xda app-developers app

Any rom as long as the cwm recovery supports partition.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using xda app-developers app