Tf700 Random Reboots. Anyone else or just me?

Search This thread

Unibrow

Jan 23, 2011
I haven't had the rebooting issue since I've updated, but I can go for weeks without a reboot. Though it seems when I do get a random crash and reboot it will happen more than once, usually 3-4 times all within a half hour of each other.

One thing I noticed, and this could be pure coincidence, is that shortly before getting an OTA I've gotten random restarts. Really infuriates me that I've got this incredibly nice piece of hardware and it random reboots like that.

I also seem to be having trouble with games, whether it's Jelly Defense or Dead Trigger, game will randomly crash though it's different with both games. Dead Trigger will always lock up within 30secs of loading a map if I'm using the ps3 controller app. Not sure if it's Dead Trigger or a ps3 controller issue. I have to reboot the device before playing the game, nearly every time otherwise it just locks up and crashes to desktop. Jelly Defense is a bit more random, game will play seemingly fine and be near the end of a level and it will crash and sometimes it won't crash at all.

Unibrow

Jan 23, 2011
I am just posting again because I feel that the random reboots are related to things updating and using data in the background while doing some that is taxing. For instance, I just got a random reboot while playing "Horn." I don't believe Horn itself crashed the tab but what perhaps was going on in the background. Everytime my tab is randomly rebooting, which isn't that often, there's an OTA downloading in the background or apps are ready to be updated in the Play store. Now that I am unlocked and do not get OTA's anymore it's been only happening with the Play store.

I have automatic updates disabled but still have it set up to notifiy me if there are updates. Probably related to the i/o issues the Infinity has.

After a random reboot, had updated all my apps earlier in the day so it's not like I don't update my apps.

deathgod1

Feb 1, 2011
I just flashed the latest updated and no less than 30 mins in I got a white screen freeze and reboot. I was just reading Google Currents and rotated the screen when it happpened. I've been consistently getting reboots running various apps so i just think they're random. :(

MarkAndroid

Feb 17, 2011
Also I have always had occasional reboots with ICS and JB!
I thought I was the only one and I have my terminal fault!
Why Asus does not provide?

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
If you do some research on XDA, there are issues said about ExFAT format. People are saying it starts out working fine, but over time and as the SD fills up, there will be increased corruption errors.

ExFAT is FAST. FAT32 is SLOW. ExFAT does NOT have file size limit of < 4GB/file. As some people here use their tablets and load them up with BluRay rips, this becomes an issue with FAT32 filesize limitation.

It's not really an issue with specific SD cards.

I've used the exact same SD cards in ExFAT format and the TF700 never locks up (ICS). Ever since JB, it's been having issues.

But the recommended SD for Micro slot is SanDisk 32GB Class10 (it's grey/red)
I got a Transcend 64GB Class 10 in the Dock, no prob.

i think i have an idea of what is causing the issue. I did a test last night. I have a 32gb fat32 and a 64gb exfat. Both cards have the same data on them. On the 32gb, which is new, i loaded all of my stuff, except movies and music. The device ran great. So i got home, put in the 64gb, no movies and music, works fine. I then transferred several movie files (mkv and mp4) and music to both cards. I put the 32gb back in, went to play a movie in BS player, and it wouldnt play. Music would not play either, using stock player of poweramp. 5 minutes later, it rebooted and got stuck on the logo. I did a reboot, put in my next card. Same thing happened. I removed the movie files from my 32gb, and it went back to working great. I did the same for the 64, and had the same success. I left one mkv on the 32gb and have no issues. I added more than one movie file to the 64 and the issue is there. So i'm guessing that the issue involved the type of files and the amount of files on the memory card. I assume its music and movies, because i have tons of comics on these cards and have no issues reading them. So maybe if people can run similar tests, we can try to figure out why the tablet keeps rebooting.

Reactions: elfaure

phree1

Jul 13, 2010
Austin, TX
I am also getting reboots. I think I have had 4 or so since the update.

Everything is working fine, then it starts going really slow, locks up, and the screen turns white.

I have to hold the power button for 10-15 seconds or do a pinhole reset.

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
update: i moved my music from the 32gb to the device, and the music doesnt play. neither will the movie on my card. This is getting weird.

i took the memory card out. rebooted and tried to play the music on the device, without the memory card being in it, and it plays fine.

Last edited:
i think i have an idea of what is causing the issue. I did a test last night. I have a 32gb fat32 and a 64gb exfat. Both cards have the same data on them. On the 32gb, which is new, i loaded all of my stuff, except movies and music. The device ran great. So i got home, put in the 64gb, no movies and music, works fine. I then transferred several movie files (mkv and mp4) and music to both cards. I put the 32gb back in, went to play a movie in BS player, and it wouldnt play. Music would not play either, using stock player of poweramp. 5 minutes later, it rebooted and got stuck on the logo. I did a reboot, put in my next card. Same thing happened. I removed the movie files from my 32gb, and it went back to working great. I did the same for the 64, and had the same success. I left one mkv on the 32gb and have no issues. I added more than one movie file to the 64 and the issue is there. So i'm guessing that the issue involved the type of files and the amount of files on the memory card. I assume its music and movies, because i have tons of comics on these cards and have no issues reading them. So maybe if people can run similar tests, we can try to figure out why the tablet keeps rebooting.

I use 2 32gb cards (both micro, one with SDadapter in dock). Both fat32, both absolutely loaded with films and music. (ranging from a 6.2gb mkv to 300mb mp4 and avi's.) VLC refuses to play from SD, that's a known issue with the new VLC update. Stock. MXplayer, BSplayer and Vplayer run them fine.

I haven't had a single lockup/reboot/whitescreen... *knocks on wood*

I'm NOT rooted, has anyone bothered to check if the issue happens on all devices or only the rooted ones?

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
I use 2 32gb cards (both micro, one with SDadapter in dock). Both fat32, both absolutely loaded with films and music. (ranging from a 6.2gb mkv to 300mb mp4 and avi's.) VLC refuses to play from SD, that's a known issue with the new VLC update. Stock. MXplayer, BSplayer and Vplayer run them fine.

I haven't had a single lockup/reboot/whitescreen... *knocks on wood*

I'm NOT rooted, has anyone bothered to check if the issue happens on all devices or only the rooted ones?

i had the reboots before and after rooting.

Einride

Sep 8, 2010
I am also getting reboots. I think I have had 4 or so since the update.

Everything is working fine, then it starts going really slow, locks up, and the screen turns white.

I have to hold the power button for 10-15 seconds or do a pinhole reset.

Same here. The most recent one was while playing Jetpack Joyride today. The game froze, screen turned white, then the Asus logo showed up. Had to reset it by holding the power button down for ~10 seconds. It doesn't happen very often, but it's often enough to be extremely annoying. Especially since it takes so long to boot the tablet.

On stock ROM, but rooted.

Rsmin

Feb 22, 2012
Same here. The most recent one was while playing Jetpack Joyride today. The game froze, screen turned white, then the Asus logo showed up. Had to reset it by holding the power button down for ~10 seconds. It doesn't happen very often, but it's often enough to be extremely annoying. Especially since it takes so long to boot the tablet.

On stock ROM, but rooted.

Me too. Just stock. Starting to make me think I should have given up on Asus after my fiasco with the Prime. The browsers have really gotten laggy also. Constantly getting the pop up to "wait"... I really want to like this thing, but the laggy browsers winds up making me go back to my desktop computer to surf the web. Like others I was thinking JB would improve it. I "might" try a factory reset and slowly load my apps back on and see if that does anything but we shall see.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

HoushaSen

Jul 10, 2012
Didn't have white screen/reboot until JB update. Otherwise, the speed especially of browser is great for me. I even uninstalled browser2ram as I didn't really notice significant difference. The only thing I truly hope ASUS would fix is this white screen/reboot issue. It happens once every other day or so, but certainly very bad thing when happens...

Rsmin

Feb 22, 2012
Just did cold boot and it helped a little. Browsers seem to be a little better.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Getting a few reboots here also.
I believe they are application caused in my case.
Boat is the only browser that hasn't stalled into reboot after freezing.

(Mmmm...there goes a small black line zipping thru the screen again)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Osteele

Feb 12, 2008
Hello all. I spent several days researching the TF700T. Forum hopping and reading a lot. Not all posts were positive, but that's understandable. What I find frustrating, and a little embarassing quite frankly, is that it also took a few days to get my wife on board with the purchase as well. Wouldn't you know it!

I proudly hand her the tablet, ask her to spend some time getting comfortable with it and Bingo, the unit reboots. I was showing her little useless things like Supernote (unit rebooted), MyLibrary (this app hangs, never got it working), installed Glowball (wanted to showoff the graphics, unit rebooted). I would definitely get an ear full if one of my corporate IT clients was experiencing anything like this on their desktop workstations.

I guess that I have some explaining to do. Contacted Asus over the weekend. Waiting for a response. Oh, and the clincher. My two daughters have been using the iPad 3 for about a month now. Asked them if they experienced any lag, freeze-ups, and/or reboots. They both gave us a resounding NO.

I don't feel so great right about now !!! Just venting folks. Thanks for ending an ear, or two, or three. :(

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hello all. I spent several days researching the TF700T. Forum hopping and reading a lot. Not all posts were positive, but that's understandable. What I find frustrating, and a little embarassing quite frankly, is that it also took a few days to get my wife on board with the purchase as well. Wouldn't you know it!

I proudly hand her the tablet, ask her to spend some time getting comfortable with it and Bingo, the unit reboots. I was showing her little useless things like Supernote (unit rebooted), MyLibrary (this app hangs, never got it working), installed Glowball (wanted to showoff the graphics, unit rebooted)

I guess that I have some explaining to do. Contacted Asus over the weekend. Waiting for a response. Oh, and the clincher. My two daughters have been using the iPad 3 for about a month now. Asked them if they experienced any lag, freeze-ups, and/or reboots. They both gave us a resounding NO.

I don't feel so great right about now !!! Just venting folks. Thanks for ending an ear, or two, or three. :(

Since you have a pure stock rom, I would suggest to do a 3 times factory reset and report back. Thanks.

Osteele

Feb 12, 2008
3x factory reset LOL

Also wait for a falling star while reseting and make a wish.

But nooo, seriously, 1 factory reset == 3000 factory resets

I just noticed something else that almost borders on the ridiculous. One of the first things that I did after receiving the tablet was to setup two VPN connections that I require on occasion. I went to turn one of them on this afternoon. Much to my chagrin both VPN connections have vanished. All I see is "Add VPN profile". This is unacceptable !!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used to have them but after a limiting background processes to 4 I have had zero reboots. Also games don't crash anymore. There is something seriously messed up with the memory allocation.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app
    Certainly at the beginning of my story I did try factory resets etc., following asus support recommendations.
    Which, while I'm at it, have really impressed me over time with their engineering soundness :)

I mean, apparently mine is not an isolated case. There is even some consistency in symptoms (the screen state). The product is sold for quite some time. They must have quite good statistics. They should have some understanding of the root cause, at least whether it's hardware or software related...

If it's software -- why recommend exchanging units/bringing to the service -- just admit it is there and ask for patience until they fix it with updates.
    But one should really concentrate effort to fix such things, not letting them to be there for months... If it's hardware -- why recommend doing factory resets, run only supplied applications, etc. -- just run massive exchange/recall without wasting customer's and their time. If they cannot solve it -- return money to everybody/file for bankruptcy/whatever :)

Which is too bad, of course, since otherwise I really like the tablet. That's why I'm still using it -- as long as the issue is quite rare, and I do not use the unit for anything critical it's perfectly usable...

Oh, one support person did write me that their communications with the headquarters was really poor, but I thought over few months this could've been addressed.

How one can carry the business this way and survive is a miracle to me :)

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

While we are at XDA, I have a question -- did anybody try non-ASUS firmware with TF700 and does anybody have any statistics related to the "freeze/reboot" before/after (e.g., was observing/not observing, or was observing/still observing, frequency, etc.)

Thanks!
    I use the TF700 in 70/30 landscape/portrait. I didn't have these random reboots at first, but they started showing up after a failed try at data@sd, and I believe my microSD is acting up. Yesterday and the day before the tablet would reboot after about 15 mnutes of video playing from that card. I reformatted it yesterday -- from NTFS to FAT32 -- and it has been acting nicely so far. No guarantees this is the issue, but I do hope this was my issue. ;) They have been mightily annoying.
    I mean, apparently mine is not an isolated case. There is even some consistency in symptoms (the screen state). The product is sold for quite some time. They must have quite good statistics. They should have some understanding of the root cause, at least whether it's hardware or software related...

The problem is hard to reproduce, it's plausible that even they don't understand it, especially as their HQ doesn't seem to be interested in feedback from customers or keeping their support staff informed.

I really like your scientific approach to analyze the problem, XDA needs more members doing that (not only for this specific issue, but in general).
    It feels completely random, but I have a feeling that it happens more often when the screen is rotating.
    Almost everytime it crashes, it suddenly switches to a completely gray screen with a black 1-pixel-width line on the left side, from top to bottom.

It looks something like the attachment I posted.

Has anybody else seen this type of crash? Just to note it doesn't happen very often, maaaybe once a week or once every two weeks.

Yes, this is a known problem, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1798217