FIX for screen separation using GLUE

Search This thread

ckl_88

Jan 25, 2008
For those of you who have tried the various fixes on this forum and are having no luck with the screen lift issue, then this fix may be for you. I believe the screen lifting from the frame is caused by something internal that is pushing the screen upwards and causing the adhesive failure. This fix will use glue to re-establish the bond between the screen and the frame.

This fix involves taking the back cover off and removing some screws and creating a gap between the frame and screen for the glue. Oh, and while the glue cures, you will not be able to use your device for at least a few hours depending on the glue you use.

If this is too much for you or if you are addicted to your device and cannot put it down to let the glue cure, there is an alternate glue fix that is faster, does not require any disassembly, but it uses super-glue - which dries too fast for my liking. The post is here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29220469&postcount=422 - Thanks to acegolfer for this.

*** DISCLAIMER ***
I'm not responsible if you break your device doing this fix.

Tools required
1. Guitar pick - or something flat to remove back cover
2. Small phillips head screwdriver
3. Toothpick
4. Glue
5. Damp cloth/ cloth - to wipe excess glue
6. Needle or tack - to apply glue.
7. Rubber bands, eraser, book - anything to keep screen in place and frame against the screen.

First things first. the glue I used is not super-glue, it is epoxy. Why? Because I've had much success using it, but not much luck with super-glue. See pic of the epoxy I used.
P1050124.jpg

Since most of us have screen lift on the left side, these instructions assume the fix will be on that side.

Steps:
1. Turn off N7 and take back cover off

2. Remove the 4 screws on the left side.
N7Back-1.jpg

3. Take the toothpick and cut it in half. It should now look like this:
P1050129.jpg

4. Now flip the N7 over. Using the guitar pick (or the tool you used to take back cover off). CAREFULLY insert between the frame and screen to create an initial gap. then take one side of the toothpick and insert it to one side of the guitar pick. then take the other side of the toothpick and insert it to the other side of the guitar pick. take guitar pick out, it should now look like this:
P1050126.jpg

P1050127.jpg

P1050125.jpg

5. Open up the glue. Squeeze a pea size amount onto a disposable piece of hard plastic. Even though the one I bought is self-mixing, I mixed it again using the tack, then used the damp cloth to clean off the tack.

6. Take the tack and dip it into the glue. The tack should now have some glue on the tip. CAREFULLY place glue in the gap you created in step 4. You do not need to fill it up, just a small amount. You can either place the glue continuously or spaced out at even points. I chose to put glue at evenly spaced out points approx 1/4" apart. Alternatively, the glue came with a fine tipped applicator (see pic), so you could have applied the glue directly into the gap, but that could be messy.

7. When the glue has been applied, remove the toothpicks and close the gap. Some glue will be squeezed out so wipe it off with the damp cloth. Flip N7 over and put the screws back.

8. take rubber bands and place them evenly spaced around the N7 to keep frame against the glass. then put an eraser on the screen to keep screen flush with frame. LEAVE THE BACK COVER OFF. You do not want anything that could possibly push the screen up at this point.
P1050128.jpg

9. After putting screws back and applying rubber bands, double-check to see that there is no gap and the screen is flush with frame (similar to the right side).

10. I placed a phone book on top which I did not include in the picture.

11. If everything looks fine, let sit for at least 2 hours before touching it. If you used the same epoxy glue I did, I would not turn it on for at least 10 hours. I also did not put the back cover on until the 10 hour mark.

Final result.
IMG_20120801_204451.jpg

I did this about 2 days ago. Since then, I've tested it by running some tegra 3 optimized games like Zen pinball and riptide until the rear lower left of the N7 felt quite warm. I know that when I performed the shim fix and the screw tightening, the screen would have lifted at this point - but it didn't with this glue fix. In fact, after gluing the frame to the screen, it feels more solid because there is no longer any sponginess when holding with my left hand and absolutely no creaks. Also, it feels good to see that after you've punished the tegra 3 chipset, the heat generated didn't cause the screen to lift.

Hope this helps some of you. If you feel that I missed something or have some suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers.

Last edited:

eager27

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks for both trying and posting this. You don't say at which point you replaced the screws? I'm guessing it was when the glue had dried?

shadeygeezer

May 24, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.ubi.com
I just did the following:

Started transformers playing [was plugged in to power]

Set it on repeat..

waited about 30 mins - so it got a little warm..

Used the same rubber band / eraser trick you did..[without removing the back case] to hold the edge of the screen down.

Waited about 4 hours - film on repeat

Unplugged, turned it off and left it over night [about 12 hours]

Screen has held down for the past week - so sign of lifting.

So maybe worth trying before you go for the glue - and 100% non warranty issues ;)

Last edited:

jtc42

Jan 2, 2007
Bath
I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Looking at THIS teardown it seems clear that the screws play no part in how the display sits within the silver/black frame. The screws hold the internals to the frame and the display is glued to the frame. If the display is raised, then it's the adhesive not working. If you can push it to be flush, then its obviously not the screws pushing it out.

Looks like this is the only real permanent solution. I only wish there was a way to do this without actually bending the display up like that. My luck says I'd crack it! >.<

Summerfly

Jul 27, 2012
The fix looks great, no screen lift and no sideways bulge. Can I ask what sizes are those rubber bands you used?

ckl_88

Jan 25, 2008
I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Looking at THIS teardown it seems clear that the screws play no part in how the display sits within the silver/black frame. The screws hold the internals to the frame and the display is glued to the frame. If the display is raised, then it's the adhesive not working. If you can push it to be flush, then its obviously not the screws pushing it out.

Looks like this is the only real permanent solution. I only wish there was a way to do this without actually bending the display up like that. My luck says I'd crack it! >.<

try the alternate glue fix with super-glue by acegolfer:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29220469&postcount=422

Last edited:

ckl_88

Jan 25, 2008
The fix looks great, no screen lift and no sideways bulge. Can I ask what sizes are those rubber bands you used?

I don't know exactly. I just had a jar of rubber bands and I chose ones that I thought would apply enough pressure to the frame to keep it from separating from the screen.

jtc42

Jan 2, 2007
Bath

Ah that looks safer. Though I'll maybe wait for a bit until I'm less bothered about it being in perfect condition. My Xperia Arc had the famous casing crack and I decided to just glue it and got the glue everywhere and it'd dried before I got to wipe it off. I'm clearly still as skilled as a small child with glue. Not too bad but certainly not as shiny now >.<

ckl_88

Jan 25, 2008
Ah that looks safer. Though I'll maybe wait for a bit until I'm less bothered about it being in perfect condition. My Xperia Arc had the famous casing crack and I decided to just glue it and got the glue everywhere and it'd dried before I got to wipe it off. I'm clearly still as skilled as a small child with glue. Not too bad but certainly not as shiny now >.<

I'm like you with the glue - that's why I used a type that takes minutes to set instead of just 30-60 seconds. It just dries too fast sometimes. You could probably try the epoxy instead of the crazy glue.

jtc42

Jan 2, 2007
Bath
I'm like you with the glue - that's why I used a type that takes minutes to set instead of just 30-60 seconds. It just dries too fast sometimes. You could probably try the epoxy instead of the crazy glue.

Definitely calling superglue 'crazy glue' from now on. I'll have to look around and find the strongest slow-drying glue available. Waiting around for another hot day though as that's the only time it raises enough to glue it, and given that I'm in the UK this could take some time.

dansan382

Dec 19, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
padding my screws with the pill packaging seem to fix it for me even though mine was rather small lift. if anything continues or i see more lift i will definitely try this. good looks on the DIY

abitzsong

Nov 1, 2010
This is probably the most direct and effective way to solve the lifting screen problem.
I used 3M Scotch glue to stick the screen tight on the bezel.
The gap was really small so I used a IV catheter to drip to glue into the gap. (Yes, I work in a hospital)
After 24 hours, I tested every possible way to make the screen lift but it remained solid and beautiful.
For those who still have screen lifting or side bulging problem, just try this solution. There's no way it would fail.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

No real screen lift for me, just the crazy sounds when pressing the left side of the screen. Depending on the type of fix sometimes the right side would make sounds also. After trying three separate fixes and all failing once the N7 heats up this is the one thing that really seems to have fixed the issue. Thank you!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

bourne-nolonger

Mar 24, 2011
Toronto
This is probably the most direct and effective way to solve the lifting screen problem.
I used 3M Scotch glue to stick the screen tight on the bezel.
The gap was really small so I used a IV catheter to drip to glue into the gap. (Yes, I work in a hospital)
After 24 hours, I tested every possible way to make the screen lift but it remained solid and beautiful.
For those who still have screen lifting or side bulging problem, just try this solution. There's no way it would fail.

Did you have any screen mushiness or waves when you pressed near where your screen lift issue was? And if so, did applying this fix help at all?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I think this worked for me. Except I didn't read about using toothpicks as spacers. I just found a really pointy toothpick and dipped the tip in superglue then dabbed the edge of the raised screen. Then pushed it in place and held for several minutes. I don't know if it'll hold or if its even doing anything. I'll have to see in the morning. Next time I'll spread the side bevel out using the guitar picks and toothpicks.

Kuchar09

Apr 3, 2012
Just did the glue fix and got a little on the trim, it dried so fast I couldn't get it off. So while I rubbed it with too gone and scratched with my finger nail I thing the paint began to come off. :( Is it possible to take the tablet that far apart to paint the bezel or is it part of the screen?
Maybe I'll just rub all the silver off!! Lol
uploadfromtaptalk1344708178512.jpg

boldav50

Aug 11, 2012
glue

Okay I tried a bunch of suggestions before glueing like tightening and loosening the screws as well as taking off the little square of black foam. Unfortunately, none of these methods permenently resolved the lifting screen problem. Then I tried the glue method. I loosened up the 4 screws on the left side and I seperated the screen slightly from the bezel with a few toothpicks. To make sure everything was nice and clean I used 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the mating surfaces. At this point something interesting happened. When I took out the toothpicks and pressed things back together the reactivated glue stuck the glass back on. However, I didn't want to take any chances so I put a little more alcohol on the seam and spread things apart so that I could use some 5 minute epoxy to make things more permanent. After I applied the glue I put the back on and pressed everthing together with some rubberbands and a foam pad. Any glue that oozed out was immediately cleaned off with a cloth and alcohol. Then I left it alone overnight to set fully, and things are looking good so far.

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Just did the glue fix and got a little on the trim, it dried so fast I couldn't get it off. So while I rubbed it with too gone and scratched with my finger nail I thing the paint began to come off. :( Is it possible to take the tablet that far apart to paint the bezel or is it part of the screen?
Maybe I'll just rub all the silver off!! Lol
View attachment 1255430

You could touch it up with some silver paint.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you who have tried the various fixes on this forum and are having no luck with the screen lift issue, then this fix may be for you. I believe the screen lifting from the frame is caused by something internal that is pushing the screen upwards and causing the adhesive failure. This fix will use glue to re-establish the bond between the screen and the frame.

This fix involves taking the back cover off and removing some screws and creating a gap between the frame and screen for the glue. Oh, and while the glue cures, you will not be able to use your device for at least a few hours depending on the glue you use.

If this is too much for you or if you are addicted to your device and cannot put it down to let the glue cure, there is an alternate glue fix that is faster, does not require any disassembly, but it uses super-glue - which dries too fast for my liking. The post is here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29220469&postcount=422 - Thanks to acegolfer for this.

*** DISCLAIMER ***
    I'm not responsible if you break your device doing this fix.

Tools required
    1. Guitar pick - or something flat to remove back cover
    2. Small phillips head screwdriver
    3. Toothpick
    4. Glue
    5. Damp cloth/ cloth - to wipe excess glue
    6. Needle or tack - to apply glue.
    7. Rubber bands, eraser, book - anything to keep screen in place and frame against the screen.

First things first. the glue I used is not super-glue, it is epoxy. Why? Because I've had much success using it, but not much luck with super-glue. See pic of the epoxy I used.
    P1050124.jpg

Since most of us have screen lift on the left side, these instructions assume the fix will be on that side.

Steps:
    1. Turn off N7 and take back cover off

2. Remove the 4 screws on the left side.
    N7Back-1.jpg

3. Take the toothpick and cut it in half. It should now look like this:
    P1050129.jpg

4. Now flip the N7 over. Using the guitar pick (or the tool you used to take back cover off). CAREFULLY insert between the frame and screen to create an initial gap. then take one side of the toothpick and insert it to one side of the guitar pick. then take the other side of the toothpick and insert it to the other side of the guitar pick. take guitar pick out, it should now look like this:
    P1050126.jpg

P1050127.jpg

P1050125.jpg

5. Open up the glue. Squeeze a pea size amount onto a disposable piece of hard plastic. Even though the one I bought is self-mixing, I mixed it again using the tack, then used the damp cloth to clean off the tack.

6. Take the tack and dip it into the glue. The tack should now have some glue on the tip. CAREFULLY place glue in the gap you created in step 4. You do not need to fill it up, just a small amount. You can either place the glue continuously or spaced out at even points. I chose to put glue at evenly spaced out points approx 1/4" apart. Alternatively, the glue came with a fine tipped applicator (see pic), so you could have applied the glue directly into the gap, but that could be messy.

7. When the glue has been applied, remove the toothpicks and close the gap. Some glue will be squeezed out so wipe it off with the damp cloth. Flip N7 over and put the screws back.

8. take rubber bands and place them evenly spaced around the N7 to keep frame against the glass. then put an eraser on the screen to keep screen flush with frame. LEAVE THE BACK COVER OFF. You do not want anything that could possibly push the screen up at this point.
    P1050128.jpg

9. After putting screws back and applying rubber bands, double-check to see that there is no gap and the screen is flush with frame (similar to the right side).

10. I placed a phone book on top which I did not include in the picture.

11. If everything looks fine, let sit for at least 2 hours before touching it. If you used the same epoxy glue I did, I would not turn it on for at least 10 hours. I also did not put the back cover on until the 10 hour mark.

Final result.
    IMG_20120801_204451.jpg

I did this about 2 days ago. Since then, I've tested it by running some tegra 3 optimized games like Zen pinball and riptide until the rear lower left of the N7 felt quite warm. I know that when I performed the shim fix and the screw tightening, the screen would have lifted at this point - but it didn't with this glue fix. In fact, after gluing the frame to the screen, it feels more solid because there is no longer any sponginess when holding with my left hand and absolutely no creaks. Also, it feels good to see that after you've punished the tegra 3 chipset, the heat generated didn't cause the screen to lift.

Hope this helps some of you. If you feel that I missed something or have some suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers.
    I just did the following:

Started transformers playing [was plugged in to power]

Set it on repeat..

waited about 30 mins - so it got a little warm..

Used the same rubber band / eraser trick you did..[without removing the back case] to hold the edge of the screen down.

Waited about 4 hours - film on repeat

Unplugged, turned it off and left it over night [about 12 hours]

Screen has held down for the past week - so sign of lifting.

So maybe worth trying before you go for the glue - and 100% non warranty issues ;)
    After I glued the screen with superglue I left the screws how they were the first time I opened the back: on the left side the screw is present only in the highest of the 4 holes. I left unscrewed the other 3 holes in order to reduce the stress in the bezel. So far (two days) the screen is perfect and I've tested it with various games that heat a lot the nexus.
    I don't think super glue is affected by heat by the way.

How much separation are you guys getting? Are you really squeezing that glue in trying to get it under or just a bit between the frame and thin edge of glass.

Mine is quite alot worse now probably because I separated the frame more trying to get a larger area for glue.

Mine was probably a millimeter above the frame on the left side. It varies slightly depending on the heat generated while using the device. The biggest annoyance was that it was on the left side, the same side I use to hold the device. My left thumb would be right over the apex of the lift and I could feel it move up and down depending on how much pressure I put on it. Not only this, if I tried to push the screen back into position that is flush with the frame, I could see the "rainbow" effect that you get when you poke an LCD screen.

Now that it's glued, the device feels very solid and no rainbow effect even if I try to push anywhere around the edge of the screen. I don't know whether I got glue under the glass or not but if you put toothpicks to "bow" out the frame from the glass, when you push it back into place after you apply the glue, there is a chance that some of the glue will make it under the glass. I don't know how one would go about checking to see how much. But my main goal wasn't really to get glue under the glass but to get the glass flush with the frame. I think it should be okay if you only glue the frame to the glass because it doesn't take a lot of pressure to keep it flush.