need Windows 8 USB drivers

Search This thread

WWW-Schizo

Dec 23, 2010
Hi,

I just extracted the latest USB driver (USB_Acer_1.0_USB_A700 A701), but there are Windows XP, Vista and 7 drivers inside only.
i tried to install the Windows 7 driver on Windows 8 64-bit, but had no success...
The one that isn´t working is the "USB composite device" driver.

I need any Acer Windows 8 USB 64-bit drivers for Android 4.0...

Will Acer release a Win 8 driver for the A700 in near future?

TomONeill

Dec 4, 2008
Hi,

You should try installing the Android SDK, which has general Android drivers inside them.
Connect your Acer device onto your computer.
Install the Android SDK and once the program has started, it'll (down)load and show you all the Android versions and tools.
Make sure you have only selected the checkboxes "Android SDK Platform Tools" and "Google USB driver". Now click on the right bottom button labeled: "Install packages".
Select the radio button: "Accept All" and click "Install".

Now click with the right mouse button on Computer, click Manage. Go to Device Manager. Right click Acer A700, click update driver software.
Choose "Browe my computer for driver software". Choose "Let me pick from a list".
Click all devices or/and Have disk..
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\ and click the file under the 2 folders (android_winusb.inf)
Click on the first one and install.

Good luck and let me know if you succeed.

Edit:
You can skip the first part and download the Google USB driver I uploaded:
http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/1434863/file.html

Last edited:

theoldfarter

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks for the re-upload but there appears to be a problem with the contents of the zip file. When I try to extract it, I get this message: " the archive is either in unknown format or damaged". Could you download it yourself, or anyone,& see if you get that message.
Cheers.

EDIT: Thanks Tom for re-uploading again. It extracted OK this time. Unfortunately, I have had to send my A510 tablet in for repair, the charge light stopped working. I must admit to some ignorance in what to do with the unzipped files, as there is no installer for it, unlike a typical install of a USB driver. Perhaps you, or anyone, could educate me a bit?

Last edited:

TomONeill

Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for the re-upload but there appears to be a problem with the contents of the zip file. When I try to extract it, I get this message: " the archive is either in unknown format or damaged". Could you download it yourself, or anyone,& see if you get that message.
Cheers.

EDIT: Thanks Tom for re-uploading again. It extracted OK this time. Unfortunately, I have had to send my A510 tablet in for repair, the charge light stopped working. I must admit to some ignorance in what to do with the unzipped files, as there is no installer for it, unlike a typical install of a USB driver. Perhaps you, or anyone, could educate me a bit?

Sure thing,

I explained it a little in my previous post, but I will try to explain it a little better this time.

1. Click with the right mouse button on Computer.
2. Click Manage.
3. Go to Device Manager.
4. Right click Acer A700 (or A510, OR anything that looks like an unknown android device), click update driver software.
5. Choose "Browe my computer for driver software". Choose "Let me pick from a list".
6. Click all devices or/and Have disk..
7. Go to the (extracted) folder you used from my upload in the previous post (usb_driver) and click the file under the 2 folders (android_winusb.inf)
8. Click on the first one and install.

Now Windows will recognise your tablet.

If you still don't get the hang of it, check out this video I found on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbXatmo4QBU

The video may seem a bit dull, but it's actually useful if you really can't find any of the things I explained.
In the video, the "woman" explains on how you can find the Device Manager, on another way I explained.
Follow the instruction in the video until Step 8, which means you shouldn't follow step 8 but continue from my instruction from step 5.

Good luck!

Ps. If you really really don't get to install it, I would like to offer to do it for you (no charge, if that even was a question), if you trust a complete stranger on the internet :p (but you can abort any time). Just PM me.

theoldfarter

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks. I will do this when my A510 returns from repair. It is waiting for a part to arrive from overseas, so don't know when it will return.

theoldfarter

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks. I will do this when my A510 returns from repair. It is waiting for a part to arrive from overseas, so don't know when it will return.

The A510 has returned. I have tried to install your driver but have no success.
At step 6, I get presented with "Show All Devices". I am shown a list of Manufacturers & Models. I choose nothing & click "I Have Disk".
I navigate to your folder & click on android_winusb.inf
I then click on "Install From Disk" button. I am then shown the option "Select The Device Driver You Want To Install For This Hardware".
There are 3 items shown: 1. Android ADB Interface, 2. Android Bootloader Interface, 3. Android Composite ADB Interface.
I choose number 1 as that is the one I beleive you mean in your option 8.
I click "Next" & get a warning about "Installing This Device Is Not Recommended Because Windows Cannot Verify That It Is Compatible With Your Hardware". I continue the install & after about a minute, I get this message "Windows Found Driver Software For Your Device But Encountered An Error While Attempting To Install It"... and..."Android ADB Interface".... and...."This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)".
The Device Manager now shows Unknown Device as "Android Phone".

Await your reply but am thinking about reinstalling Windows 7 & leaving Win 8 until I get a touch screen laptop & Acer Tablets get a USB driver for Win 8. Acer say they are on the way but can't/won't give me a date.

Windows 8 is an annoyance on my 4 year old Asus N50Vn laptop.

TomONeill

Dec 4, 2008
@theoldfarter
That's odd, but can you try choosing the third option: 3. Android Composite ADB Interface.?
Maybe the drivers I uploaded are out of date in Windows 8 and you should try installing the Android SDK.

Install the Android SDK and once the program has started, it'll (down)load and show you all the Android versions and tools.
Make sure you have only selected the checkboxes "Android SDK Platform Tools" and "Google USB driver". Now click on the right bottom button labeled: "Install packages".
(android_winusb.inf) will be available at the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\

Without drivers, can you still access the SD?
Yes, you can. I just tried it with my freshly installed Windows 8 machine.

theoldfarter

Jan 1, 2013
@TomONeil

Tried the third option: 3. Android Composite ADB Interface but get same error message.

Downloaded the Android SDK from your link & followed your instructions but get the same error message with both option 1 & 3.

I am wondering if it has to do with the A510 being upgraded to Jelly Bean (4.1.2)?
Here is a fellow who has Jelly Bean & Windows 7, where once he had updated to Jelly Bean, his Win 7 doesn't see the tablet anymore. His name is papyb & his post is the second up from the bottom, on page 2 here: EDIT, can't post the link. Darn the rules. lol.
I will try to PM you the link.

misterkusut

Feb 1, 2013
You can try install driver from Advance Boot Options. Select no.6: disable driver signature

I am succeed on Cyrus ATOMPAD.

theoldfarter

Jan 1, 2013
You can try install driver from Advance Boot Options. Select no.6: disable driver signature

I am succeed on Cyrus ATOMPAD.

Googled it & now know what you mean. That option is for Windows 7.
I use windows 8 & Google tells me this about it:
"7) Disable driver signature enforcement
The Disable driver signature enforcement option allows non-signed drivers to be installed in Windows 8.
This startup option can be helpful during some advanced driver troubleshooting tasks."

I will try this but when I tried installing the driver as per Tom's instructions, the driver in question said it was digitally signed.

theoldfarter

Jan 1, 2013
That won't work 'cause the driver can be installed, only it's not starting.
Do you have USB Debugging turned on in the Developer Options?

Did not have that turned on. Done so but makes no difference. I have just discovered that my built-in camera is not working with Win 8, Skype says there is no camera installed. It worked with Win 7. I am thinking that the "unknown" device in Device Manager is the camera, not my tablet.
No wonder I can't install the driver to it. lol.
With the tablet not connected, I uninstall the "unknown" device & then scan for changes & it shows it again.

It looks like the A510 is not recognised by Win 8 as anything, period.

I have had enough of Windows 8. It is causing more problems than it is worth. In a couple of days, I will reinstall Windows 7 & start over.
Will report back when all has finished, which may be in 6 days time.

Thanks for your help so far. :)

mortenna

Nov 20, 2007
A700, mass storage and Windows 8

Hi
I have installed the USB drivers aa told here, an device manager shows my A700 under Android Phone.
But i cant see the storage.
How can i access both internal storage and SD card on my tablet??

Rterwill

Mar 21, 2013
@TomONeil

Tried the third option: 3. Android Composite ADB Interface but get same error message.

Downloaded the Android SDK from your link & followed your instructions but get the same error message with both option 1 & 3.

I am wondering if it has to do with the A510 being upgraded to Jelly Bean (4.1.2)?
Here is a fellow who has Jelly Bean & Windows 7, where once he had updated to Jelly Bean, his Win 7 doesn't see the tablet anymore. His name is papyb & his post is the second up from the bottom, on page 2 here: EDIT, can't post the link. Darn the rules. lol.

I would like this link as well. Since I've updated my a510 to JB 4.1.2, my computer doesn't detect it when I plug it in via USB. I can plug a USB stick into the tablet and it sees that, but when connecting to PC, nothing at all. USB debugging is also turned on. Would love some assistance with this.

TomONeill

Dec 4, 2008
This is the USB driver.
When clicking on start and entering "device manager", a new screen will pop-up showing you all the connected devices. Somewhere you should see Unknown, Fastboot, ADB, Android device/phone, A700 or Acer. Install it with the USB driver.

Note for everybody:
If it is NOT working, try to find Android Phone in the categories list when installing the driver. That one might work too if my solution doesn't work.

thinkDHRUVIL

Nov 30, 2011
Gandhinagar
dis method helped me...!

@TomONeil

try this link... http://www.fotoclubinc.com/blog/how-to-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-to-allow-installation-of-windows-7-printer-drivers-on-windows-8/
install the drivers with signature verification off
i too had the same problem on my xperia device
its solved now. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

You should try installing the Android SDK, which has general Android drivers inside them.
    Connect your Acer device onto your computer.

Now click with the right mouse button on Computer, click Manage. Go to Device Manager. Right click Acer A700, click update driver software.
    Choose "Browe my computer for driver software". Choose "Let me pick from a list".
    Click all devices or/and Have disk..
    Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\ and click the file under the 2 folders (android_winusb.inf)
    Click on the first one and install.

Good luck and let me know if you succeed.

Edit:
    You can skip the first part and download the Google USB driver I uploaded: