Ubuntu Phone for the HTC HD2

Search This thread

ro-mann

Apr 5, 2010
Does anyone know whether it will be possible to install the new Ubuntu Phone on the HTC HD2?

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mmpersian

Aitrus

Jul 20, 2009
I think it's very possible, it is open source. I saw in one video that they're hoping or are willing to help developers port it to other phones.
My hd2 is ready for this. :)

Reactions: ro-mann

JJ1990

Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
I am a lil excited about this, particularly if we will have the option to boot into desktop by docking. Considering that the Galaxy Nexus is being used as the demo phone, I'm imagining that our lil HD2 will be capable (not saying they have identical specs, but clearly ubunto are going to demo it well above the min requirements)

lkashl

Dec 30, 2012
I am a lil excited about this, particularly if we will have the option to boot into desktop by docking. Considering that the Galaxy Nexus is being used as the demo phone, I'm imagining that our lil HD2 will be capable (not saying they have identical specs, but clearly ubunto are going to demo it well above the min requirements)

They mentioned somewhere they wanted to have Ubuntu running not only across devices but on budget grade hardware within a device type as well. The HD2 still performs well relative to budget phones so I dont anticipate there will be any problems with the reqs. Can't wait till someone manages to get their hands on and port this!

EDIT: Actually wait, pulled from the Ubuntu site, there will be 2 versions:

Entry level (no desktop convergence)
1ghz cortex A9
512-1gb ram
4-8gb emmc + sd

High end (desktop convergence)
Quad core A9/Intel Atom
1gb ram
32gb emmc + sd

I'm sure the talented devs here will be able to manage something to get the high end onto the HD2, looks kind of overspec'd to me

Last edited:
Reactions: thebengalboy
May 20, 2011
They mentioned somewhere they wanted to have Ubuntu running not only across devices but on budget grade hardware within a device type as well. The HD2 still performs well relative to budget phones so I dont anticipate there will be any problems with the reqs. Can't wait till someone manages to get their hands on and port this!

EDIT: Actually wait, pulled from the Ubuntu site, there will be 2 versions:

Entry level (no desktop convergence)
1ghz cortex A9
512-1gb ram
4-8gb emmc + sd

High end (desktop convergence)
Quad core A9/Intel Atom
1gb ram
32gb emmc + sd

I'm sure the talented devs here will be able to manage something to get the high end onto the HD2, looks kind of overspec'd to me

Actually no, the high end phones running Ubuntu will also have a dock which will provide full desktop functionality (mouse, keyboard and
monitor). This is because the mobile version of Ubuntu will run on two cores, and the full Ubuntu desktop will run on the other two cores.

According to the requirements, the HD2 will be able to run Ubuntu Phone itself, though.

Hope this clears things up ;)

Reactions: ro-mann and Aitrus

ro-mann

Apr 5, 2010
AW: Ubuntu Phone for the HTC HD2

Any news? How could we get a dev going for this?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Sancher

Mar 25, 2009
LG G7 ThinQ
Yeah, I'm waiting for this too. I was able to launch GIMP using Debian on my HD2, so I'm very excited about getting usable Ubuntu:fingers-crossed:

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Believe the code in question is here. But don't think its the sorta thing that's portable. Anyone try it as it is? Can't spot in on first glance but I take it that the build model is taken from the device at some point, I guess if we can spoof that and see how far it boots.

Reactions: z3nful

Aitrus

Jul 20, 2009
Installed it on my gnexus today. It's nice but its just a preview :( . Almost nothing worked right. But it did get me excited!! Can't wait for the real deal now! :D

z3nful

Jan 22, 2011
Phoenix
www.hookupcellular.com
Ill be tackling this once I can get the source downloaded, so many people are trying to get it that its crashing their repo, and since its ~12gigs, it might take a little while lol

I've token the time to extract the Ubuntu Touch Nexus 4 Dev Preview core system and put it into a ext4 Image to make easier for people to see exactly what's installed and be able to configure it without having to fully install it.

You can find the Operating System Image here - www.ZenfulApps.com

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
Ill be tackling this once I can get the source downloaded, so many people are trying to get it that its crashing their repo, and since its ~12gigs, it might take a little while lol

I've token the time to extract the Ubuntu Touch Nexus 4 Dev Preview core system and put it into a ext4 Image to make easier for people to see exactly what's installed and be able to configure it without having to fully install it.

You can find the Operating System Image here - www.ZenfulApps.com
Hi z3nful, I have been trying on and off all day to DL the image with varying degrees of success. The zip seems to have downloaded successfully but is only around 100mb (ranging from 79 to 130)(tried from chrome on pc and linux, and firefox). Any chance of a mirror? Thanks

Last edited:

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
Thats odd, it downloaded good on my phone, Linux, and XP. here's a direct link to it that's not run through the file manager on the site, should work fine that way (still working out some bugs lol)

UbuntuTouch-DevPreview-Mako.ext4.zip
Thanks, that link worked first time:)

Ok I have extracted the image to sd on fat32 renamed it UbuntuTouch.ext4.img and put it in linux-files/system
The linload app manages to mount the image, but when i try to start vnc, i get
"bash: vncserver: command not found" in terminal after some other stuff, leaving me at the prompt.
I have tried to connect using other vnc viewers but no joy yet.
I have partitioned my 32gb card with 16gb fat32, 10gb ext4, 4gb ext4(empty) and 256mb linux swap. And ideally would like to use the 3rd partition for the image. Do i just put the UbuntuTouch.ext4.img file there and point to it with linload?
Thanks again
Edit; using tytung jb 1.3a on nativeSD

Last edited:

z3nful

Jan 22, 2011
Phoenix
www.hookupcellular.com
The Touch preview doesn't have vnc install when you first download it, and from what I've seen looking around in it, there isn't a command to start up unity.

One thing you can try is to install vncserver, then see if you can get it to load an "ubuntu-session" from the xstartup file. I'm not sure if that will work though :/

I've almost got the source finished downloading, once thats done ill be trying for a working kernel to see if I can get this setup as its own rom :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, then we will need that (so it should be the reason why the GUI was not accessible), but dalvikvm and app_process will crash if they are not removed.

OK, surfacefligner won't crash anymore, after adding egl libraries, and LOTS of libraries in /system/lib/hw, idk why all of my library is missing, may be there are some problem in the build.
    Surfaceflinger won't crash, but mediaserver and drmserver are start crashing, idk why...
    Good news is, i got the boot animation screen now. (CM10.1)

I am trying the ubuntu rootfs now.

EDIT: No android services are crashing now. But i get Seg. Fault on ubuntuappmanager, i think that i need to try mwc-demo instead of the newest rootfs.
    Development for this slightly slowed over the weekend as I broke my Nexus 4 and had to go back to using my HD2 as the business phone, but I should have something soon. Its going to be magldr only at first, and probably only fit on US HD2 (since EU has half the space)

Once I have it up, if someone with knowledge of SD builds and Native SD can give a quick hand (I never had time to do more than nand installs), we can get it working for all models.

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium
    OK...
    My public exam is approaching, and i only got a little time for this now.
    July and August will be the final development (for me) of the Ubuntu Touch on HTC HD2 (at least for me).
    I am still stuck on the GUI.

Current state:
    (2013-06-30) I suspect my Android build is defect, some important HAL modules does not being built. Still solving.
    I've gotten the rom itself to build right for the HD2, but the jellybean kernel has a few things that aren't compiling right, namely, the Kernel Namespace Support for networking. Which I should probably just ignore for now anyways since wifi doesn't work yet for Android CM10.1 on HD2.

If I get time today, ill try to get an installable zip setup.
    I've gotten the rom itself to build right for the HD2, but the jellybean kernel has a few things that aren't compiling right, namely, the Kernel Namespace Support for networking. Which I should probably just ignore for now anyways since wifi doesn't work yet for Android CM10.1 on HD2.

If I get time today, ill try to get an installable zip setup.
    Thanks, looking forward to it:D
    FYI marc1706 posted a jb kernel with bcmdhd support here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35571547&postcount=167
    I think he tried it on 4.2.2 rom here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38059342&postcount=37 and then posted this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38063992&postcount=47