MHL hdmi/vga with OTG & charging cable build

Search This thread

teshgnex

Apr 12, 2012
Thats the exact same reason that I have been trying to make one.[...].

I actually restarted a thread like this in the S3 forum a few months back before I got my N2; I bought a lapdock because I acquired a bionic that I also use on a daily basis, so the bionic/dock combo has left me longing to have a better brain for the lapdock

There are a few threads on whether hdmi/otg/charge are possible which with the arrival of the smart dock, we know is possible - the real issue is making it possible in a cable form factor that's portable vs a dock (though, look at the clambook that's due to release and they're just going w/the dock principle)

the dock delivered today, so hopefully I'll get to testing this weekend!

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow
I have never heard of that laptop before, how universal is it, as most phones dont do USB OTG And HDMI at the same time. Does the keyboard and mouse connect via bluetooth?

Samsung have one called the spider dock. But I'm not sure if it's in production yet?
vr-zone.com/articles/can-a-smartphone-replace-a-laptop-meet-the-spider-laptop-for-samsung-galaxy-siii/17153.html

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

teshgnex

Apr 12, 2012
I have never heard of that laptop before, how universal is it, as most phones dont do USB OTG And HDMI at the same time. Does the keyboard and mouse connect via bluetooth?

Samsung have one called the spider dock. But I'm not sure if it's in production yet?
vr-zone.com/articles/can-a-smartphone-replace-a-laptop-meet-the-spider-laptop-for-samsung-galaxy-siii/17153.html

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

the Motorola Lapdock is not actually a laptop, but like its name, a dock for motorola phones which used the webtop app a few years back - it comes in three flavors - the lapdock, lapdock 100 and 500. they were made for two phones at first (the Atrix and Bionic) and since have had other phones which work with it based on port arrangement (since motorola went with a separate usb and hdmi connection, bravo to them honestly, its more flexible)

the dock itself has a monitor w/hdmi input, usb keyboard and trackpad mouse with a built in battery as well as speakers (terrible, terrible speakers) using an arrangement of usb/hdmi extension cables you can input to and control most devices from the dock

*to the thread, I'm in the process of putting together a review video of the dock w/the note2 and s3, I'll hopefully have a teardown of the dock as well

01jacksonb.

Sep 24, 2009
Wilmslow
the Motorola Lapdock is not actually a laptop
Yeah, sorry, laptop was a typo. I am aware that the lapdock is a passive monitor and keyboard. However I wasnt aware of that companies version.

I have just ordered a smart dock, as I have had no luck getting USB OTG to work in this mode, The 2 pins that I thought may have been for USB don't seem to conform to USB standards.
Also, I can seem to get my lap dock to show any signs of life (other than the battery test). Should the screen backlight activate when the lid is opened, and should the Micro-USB port provide 5V. As mine doesn't. (It looks like I may have to return it, and see if they have any left in stock :crying: )

Oh, and before I forget, apparently the Note 2 when used on a large screen isn't ideal for web browsing/Word processing, as it isn't designed as a desktop. If you want functionality similar to Motorola's webtop, these are the closest that I've found so https://play.google.com/store/apps/...SwiY29tLnpwd2Vic2l0ZXMubGludXhvbmFuZHJvaWQiXQ..
, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1162662, and http://androlinux.com/android-ubuntu-development/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-android/.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonrobertd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    well the build has stalled for a few days, somehow something went wrong with the tv (psu) and it seems to have 'zapped' my mhl/hdmi adapter....

the adapter communicates with the phone, but i get green garbage on screen.

So to pass the time i took the 11pin micro USB plug apart...

heres how they get 11 pins into a 5 pin hole...

new%2520micro%2520usb.jpg
    Well I have the mhl/hdmi cable now, let the hacking commence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fhBikVZXPg
    Hopefully this may be of some help, I have also been trying to make one of these for the last few weeks.
    So far, from purchasing this MHL - hdmi adapter, I have managed to map most of the pins, but am having difficulties getting USB OTG to work.

Charge, HDMI, and PC data connection work, but i still need to find the USB OTG pins for "smart dock" mode.
    I assumed that this would work for USB OTG but it doesn't seem to work for me, it acts as USB Slave not Host (I.e. Connection to PC not HDD/Keyboard)

so far the pins i have identified:
    (normal usb part)
    Pin 1 - Vcc
    Pin 2 - USB - (Slave)
    Pin 3 - USB + (Slave)
    Pin 4 - Sense (40.2K Ohm)
    Pin 5 - Gnd

(extended USB Part)
    Pin 6 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
    Pin 7 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
    Pin 8 - DP (MHL +)
    Pin 9 - DN (MHL -)
    Pin 10 - MHL ID (connected to ID Pin of MHL Adapter)
    Pin 11 - Gnd

I will try and upload some images tomorrow, and a diagram of the plug.
    First of all, sorry i didnt get arount to uplading any images yesterday.
    Im in the same boat as you, I didnt think I could get a smart dock, and didnt fancy paying £100 for something I should be able to make for £10. I have since found 2 uk shops that sell them for £60.

On my MHL adaper the socket is built into the body if the device, but it only supplies 5v to the device, no data pins are connected through it unfortunately.

Inside these adapters, there is a chip to convert MHL's 2 data cables into hdmi's ~11 data cables.

On the note2 the modes are activated by a resistor on the sense pin of the USB plug, (pin 4) For smartdock mode, 40.2k ohm resistor is used.

The main problem I am having is acessing the pins, as they are so small on the plug. Im waiting for some copper clad pcb so I can make a breakout board for the usb connector.

Sent from my GT-N7105
    How did you work out which is pin 6? Was it marked etc?

No markings on mine, I just started numbering them as I noted them down (left to right), however i didn't follow standard pin mapping, and think i have noted them in reverse order :(

The following should be standard numbering. (if Samsung release a spec or diagram of the plug :p )
    Here are the images as promised.
    sta60041.jpg

sta60045.jpg

sta60046.jpg

microusb.png

Smart dock pins:
    Pin 1 - Vcc
    Pin 2 - USB - (Slave)
    Pin 3 - USB + (Slave)
    Pin 4 - ID/Sense (40.2K Ohm)
    Pin 5 - Gnd
    Pin 6 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
    Pin 7 - ? (Audio/USB host?)
    Pin 8 - DP (MHL +)
    Pin 9 - DN (MHL -)
    Pin 10 - MHL ID (connected to ID Pin of MHL Adapter)
    Pin 11 - Gnd

---------- Post added 6th February 2013 at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was 5th February 2013 at 11:42 PM ----------

After watching a review of the smart dock, in which the S3 is said that USB doesn't work in dock mode, and along with the Note 2 working with PC Docking. I can only assume that the data has to be on the pins 6 & 7.
    The next step is identifying the polarity of them, luckily D+ & D- both can take 3.3v (used as ID for USB 1.0 or 1.1) nothing should be damaged if the polarity is incorrect.

The next issue is connecting all of the wires to the USB pins at once. I can't connect all of the wires to the 0.3mm pins, and expect them to not come loose or short. The only solution that i can think of is to etch a breakout PCB for it. Hopefully it will arrive soon, Unfortunately my first board was way too thick for the plug.