Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

daniel_hk

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 12, 2012
Hong Kong
Realme X2
Black-on-Trans.png

CarbonRom is another aftermarket ROM having its unique features. I have been playing with Carbon for sometime. It has some unique features like CarbonFibers and ActiveDisplay. Another cool ROM worth trying. Cheers!

Release Note:
2014/12/12
For some unknown reason, download provider is missing in the last build. I have to rebuild to make to work. Hoping this is really the final build...:D

2014/12/6
Lollipop is out and the last commit is weeks ago so this is the final version of Carbon 4.4.4. Hoping the lagecy could continue in 5.0. Cheers!

2014/9/12
I have upgrade my build enviornment and tried the AOSP l-preview for the past few weeks. It is more or less doable and quite stable. SKD API20 is not release yet and the version no. still show 4.4.3.43.43. I think that's why CM and others didn't touch l-preview.
I don't think the L source would come soon so I downgrade my build environment. It's been a month and about time for Carbon update!

2014/8/2
Just finished the GPU performance settings. In case some tabs might have lower tolerance, I lowered the GPU default min. and max. freq.
I also enable the Carbon performance tool. You can flash kernel and recovery from there. zRAM can only be enabled by TricksterMod. Old methods doesn't work on Kitkat. This build included all Carbon features. Enjoy! ;)

2014/7/2
WC take a rest for a few days. It is about time for a new Carbon. :D

2014/4/19
There are a few bugs in CarbonRom for our tab since day one. SystemUI crash, Some pages in CarbonFibers crash...etc. I finally fixed them this weekend! So it's time for me the share. It include all the fixes in my Kitkat roms. ;)

Change log: :victory:
Code:
Official Carbon [URL="https://carbon-rom.com/changes/"]Change log[/URL]
[COLOR="Blue"]2014/12/12[/COLOR]
  - Final release for Carbon 4.4.4r2
  - Rebuild since DownloadProvider is missing
[COLOR="Blue"]2014/12/6[/COLOR]
  - Latest CarbonROM source
  - Major Bluetooth update from Bluez
[COLOR="Blue"]2014/9/12[/COLOR]
  - kernel GPU settings revert to stock as default 
  - rewrite the preformance settings for GPU
  - fixed mobile data for i815
  - Bluetooth update from Bluez
  - stability improvements
[COLOR="Blue"]2014/8/2[/COLOR]
  - Android 4.4.4r2 KTU84Q
  - kernel update for GPU O/C and zRAM
  - add GPU settings in performance
  - include performance tools
  - zRAM support
  - major Bluetooth update from Bluez
[COLOR="Blue"]2014/7/2[/COLOR]
  - Android 4.4.4r1 KTU84P
[COLOR="Blue"]2014/4/19[/COLOR]
  - Android 4.4.2r2 KVT49L
  - Fix crash in SystemUI
  - Fix crash in CarbonAbout
  - Fix crash in CarbonFibers
  - Fix in QuickSettings (mess up after change QSTile position)

Know issues: :(
Only minor issues:
1. A few apks (eg. Browser) with distort screen after rotation. (Can be recovered by pressing recent key twice)

Downloads: :highfive:
AFH: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=13964
goo.im: http://goo.im/devs/daniel_hk/rom/carbon
mirror: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1GjnUQ#dir/path=/carbon

Recovery requirement
** CWM6, TWRP 2.3.1 or above is OK.
Most of the 4.4 Roms require the latest reovery with file_contexts and set_metadata support.I have patch the update-binary to work with old recoveries.

** See my thread to patch any gapps or ROMs with set_metadata fail **

Source: :cool:
kernel & device trees will update the new kernel soon after testing
github: https://github.com/danielhk?tab=repositories

Credits: :good:
** The CarbonROM team!
** All those who donate to me. Giving me the resources to upgrade my PC and accessories!
** All those who help our cool tab's developments!

Donations:

show.htm

Attachments

• DownloadProvider.zip
    684.3 KB · Views: 1,419
Last edited:

ngoonee

Jun 21, 2011
Any particular gapps for 4.4.2 will work, right?

Does the camera work, with this ROM? Love SlimKat but the camera is blank =(

Reactions: deani77

stenny

Nov 15, 2008
Any particular gapps for 4.4.2 will work, right?

Does the camera work, with this ROM? Love SlimKat but the camera is blank =(

I confirm camera working very well. I use slim gapps and it work.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

This ROM more better then the other 4.4 ROM, stable, super fast and more important is on the searching network signal part. Even losing network signal after reboot. Thanks you very much for making this great ROM for our TAB.

ngoonee

Jun 21, 2011
I confirm camera working very well. I use slim gapps and it work.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

This ROM more better then the other 4.4 ROM, stable, super fast and more important is on the searching network signal part. Even losing network signal after reboot. Thanks you very much for making this great ROM for our TAB.

Thanks, worked for me as well, but can't stay on this ROM as bluetooth headset doesn't work with media, only with calls. Same problem as Omni. Works on CM11 and SlimKat, but SlimKat camera doesn't work, so I'm trying CM11 now, looks good so far =)

Reactions: daniel_hk

kampar4

Jun 11, 2005
Dear Daniel, I have install this CarbonROM on to my P6800. It works like a charm. But...i thinks it cannot charged well using my original charger as other ROM. Charging never increase battery level, tend to decrease. Finally it dried up my tab. Now i cannot turn on my tab and still cannot charge it. I have used this tab for 2 years and loved to try many of your masterpiece ROM on it. Any suggestion to turn it on? Thanks bro...

deani77

May 15, 2007
So far I have no problem using this ROM on my P6800. Charging working as normal... Been using this ROM since the day Daniel released it.

Sent from P6800 powered by OmniROM 4.4.2

Reactions: daniel_hk

robt2379

May 18, 2006
Southampton
I've given this a go on my P6810 and although basically good, I found one problem that was a deal breaker for me in that the bluetooth doesnt seem to work correctly. I could pair and connect with my external speaker (Minx Go) but the audio wasnt routed to the speaker.

Otherwise was a nice smooth rom with no other problems that I found. Ive gone back to the Cyanogen version for now.

Thanks for your efforts, I shall look for any updates. Got to say that bluetooth is a bit "flakey" on all the kit kat roms at the moment.

ngoonee

Jun 21, 2011
I've given this a go on my P6810 and although basically good, I found one problem that was a deal breaker for me in that the bluetooth doesnt seem to work correctly. I could pair and connect with my external speaker (Minx Go) but the audio wasnt routed to the speaker.

Otherwise was a nice smooth rom with no other problems that I found. Ive gone back to the Cyanogen version for now.

Thanks for your efforts, I shall look for any updates. Got to say that bluetooth is a bit "flakey" on all the kit kat roms at the moment.

SlimKat and CM11 work fine for Bluetooth media audio for me. SlimKat perfectly, cm11 works but more jumpy

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

Sab3elbromba

Nov 29, 2007
New Cairo, EG
I have found a problem with Slimkat/Carbon/CM11/Omni ROMs

The top and bottom mics are reversed; meaning that the top microphone (which should be for noise cancellation) is used as the main microphone and bottom microphone (which should be the main microphone) is used for noise cancellation.

I have tried all 4 ROMs today and they all have the exact same problem.

Previously only one microphone was active and you successfully fixed this Daniel by enabling both microphones, now we just need to reverse them to make them work properly.

Lt.col.johncross

Sep 26, 2012
set color for navigation bar??

Says its a feature but my dumb a$s can't find the setting.
So I guess if does not exist that would be great also since I couldn't find it!

p3dboard

Oct 20, 2013
I wonder if xposed installer and its applications can be used with this rom..

I think it should be ok. I have used xposed on the CM 4.4.4r1 rom, as long as you are using Davlik and not ART for the runtime, it should be fine. I don't think Xposed is compatible with ART at the moment. I use the App Settings module, to set custom DPI values for various apps, also the greenify app has an Xposed module, which helps me to keep battery usage down and memory usage (I do this mainly for Real Racing 3 which is memory hungry).

sergani

Jun 8, 2012
Cairo
Hello guys,

Need to know the steps for flashing this ROM and GAPPS on a P6800.
Running stock 4.1.2 with root and CWM.

Thanks guys.

Lt.col.johncross

Sep 26, 2012
This is for someone who has a stock unrooted galaxy tab 7.7

This should be a full proof method of installing "first" a custom recovery and "second" a custom Kit kat rom.
Download all your files first.

1. Here is the link to Odin 3.07 -

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEqmNw0ERcW4K3UlFV7WKUotUiStw

When you go to this link it will give you the choice to open or save the file - I always download the file then extract it to a folder on my desktop named Odin.

2. Here is the link to TWRP v.2.7.1.0 -

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358545485

When you go to this link you will need to select the download option on the page. A ten second timer will count down and then give you a few options to download from. Just select the first one for your download.

3. Here is the link for your selected rom -

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358556281

When you go to this link you will need to select the download option on the page. It will give you the choice to open or save the file - SAVE is what you do.

4. Here is the link to the gapps file you will need.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=15797 choose stock!

Again select download and choose to save.

We now have the four files we need to install this custom rom. Please copy the files from steps 3 and 4 to a micro sd card. Place the card into your tablet.

Time to INSTALL!!!

1. If you have not already - unzip the first file "Odin 3.07" to a folder on your desktop PC.

2. Press and hold the volume down and power button together and hold until a screen appears (other then a battery display or SAMSUNG) then let go of both. The screen should say something like "Warning!! A custom OS blah blah .. it will also say "Volume up: Continue".

3. Press the volume up choice. The screen should change to the little android and say downloading. This is known as "odin mode" and also referred to as "downloading mode" .

4. Now plug in the tablet transfer cable to the tablet and the PC. Open the Odin folder and double click the Odin3 v3.07 executable. Give the program permission to open if needed. Once open, Look for id:com - right above that you should see something like 0:[COM6](it might be another number then 6 this is all Good). If you do see this then you know you are connected.
In the option area you will see two options selected. Deselect Auto reboot leaving F. Reset Time the only one selected. To the right of this click the PDA button. This is where you will select the "TRWP v.2.7.1.0" file you downloaded on step 2. Once you select the twrp file, and you press open, the option for PDA will now have a check mark next to it. Now you can Press Start and let it run till you see "RESET!" at the top left of the Odin window and also you will see RES OK! in the message area (bottom left).

5. Disconnect the tablet from the transfer cable. Now Press the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see the TEAMWIN window - release the buttons. This will take you into your newly installed twrp custom recovery. If the screen goes black while using the software, just touch it to wake.

6. Select WIPE

7. Select Format Data - type yes and press return on the keyboard - when it is done formatting choose the house icon to go back to the home screen.

8. Select Install - Navigate to your external sdcard and select the Carbon rom you downloaded in step 3.

9. Now select "add a zip" and choose the GAPPS file we downloaded in step 4.

10. Now use the "Swipe to Start" and allow the 2 files to install. When they finish you will have three choices.

11. First select wipe on the left - when it finishes select reboot.

Give it some time and you will eventually get to your carbon setup screen.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Wow, a ROM from the future (7 July, today is 3rd July =p)

dont get it?

Last edited:

sergani

Jun 8, 2012
Cairo
Hello,

I did everything you mentioned, but I'm using CWM instead of TWRP. Unfortunately though, when the Tab goes up I get two main crashes: Google Location, Setup Wizard, AOSP keyboard etc...

Any thoughts on that?

@ @daniel_hk, would appreciate your support on the matter.

Last edited:

ayamgoreng

Jul 29, 2013
exfat works, so I love it better than omniroms.
BTW, Is there a way to fix signal db ?
I get like 1000db on status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Black-on-Trans.png

CarbonRom is another aftermarket ROM having its unique features. I have been playing with Carbon for sometime. It has some unique features like CarbonFibers and ActiveDisplay. Another cool ROM worth trying. Cheers!

Release Note:
    2014/12/12
    For some unknown reason, download provider is missing in the last build. I have to rebuild to make to work. Hoping this is really the final build...:D

2014/12/6
    Lollipop is out and the last commit is weeks ago so this is the final version of Carbon 4.4.4. Hoping the lagecy could continue in 5.0. Cheers!

2014/9/12
    I have upgrade my build enviornment and tried the AOSP l-preview for the past few weeks. It is more or less doable and quite stable. SKD API20 is not release yet and the version no. still show 4.4.3.43.43. I think that's why CM and others didn't touch l-preview.
    I don't think the L source would come soon so I downgrade my build environment. It's been a month and about time for Carbon update!

2014/8/2
    Just finished the GPU performance settings. In case some tabs might have lower tolerance, I lowered the GPU default min. and max. freq.
    I also enable the Carbon performance tool. You can flash kernel and recovery from there. zRAM can only be enabled by TricksterMod. Old methods doesn't work on Kitkat. This build included all Carbon features. Enjoy! ;)

2014/7/2
    WC take a rest for a few days. It is about time for a new Carbon. :D

2014/4/19
    There are a few bugs in CarbonRom for our tab since day one. SystemUI crash, Some pages in CarbonFibers crash...etc. I finally fixed them this weekend! So it's time for me the share. It include all the fixes in my Kitkat roms. ;)

Change log: :victory:
    Code:
    Official Carbon [URL="https://carbon-rom.com/changes/"]Change log[/URL]
    [COLOR="Blue"]2014/12/12[/COLOR]
      - Final release for Carbon 4.4.4r2
      - Rebuild since DownloadProvider is missing
    [COLOR="Blue"]2014/12/6[/COLOR]
      - Major Bluetooth update from Bluez
    [COLOR="Blue"]2014/9/12[/COLOR]
      - kernel GPU settings revert to stock as default 
      - rewrite the preformance settings for GPU
      - fixed mobile data for i815
      - Bluetooth update from Bluez
      - stability improvements
    [COLOR="Blue"]2014/8/2[/COLOR]
      - Android 4.4.4r2 KTU84Q
      - kernel update for GPU O/C and zRAM
      - add GPU settings in performance
      - include performance tools
      - zRAM support
      - major Bluetooth update from Bluez
    [COLOR="Blue"]2014/7/2[/COLOR]
      - Android 4.4.4r1 KTU84P
    [COLOR="Blue"]2014/4/19[/COLOR]
      - Android 4.4.2r2 KVT49L
      - Fix crash in SystemUI
      - Fix crash in CarbonAbout
      - Fix crash in CarbonFibers
      - Fix in QuickSettings (mess up after change QSTile position)

Know issues: :(
    Only minor issues:
    1. A few apks (eg. Browser) with distort screen after rotation. (Can be recovered by pressing recent key twice)

Downloads: :highfive:
    AFH: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=13964
    goo.im: http://goo.im/devs/daniel_hk/rom/carbon
    mirror: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1GjnUQ#dir/path=/carbon

Recovery requirement
    ** CWM6, TWRP 2.3.1 or above is OK.
    Most of the 4.4 Roms require the latest reovery with file_contexts and set_metadata support.I have patch the update-binary to work with old recoveries.

** See my thread to patch any gapps or ROMs with set_metadata fail **

Source: :cool:
    kernel & device trees will update the new kernel soon after testing
    github: https://github.com/danielhk?tab=repositories

Credits: :good:
    ** The CarbonROM team!
    ** All those who donate to me. Giving me the resources to upgrade my PC and accessories!
    ** All those who help our cool tab's developments!

Donations:

show.htm

This should be a full proof method of installing "first" a custom recovery and "second" a custom rom. One thing a person should know is that as roms have progressd so have recoveries. If

you are trying to install "Kitkat" then you must first install custom recovery software.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...sQT56oDgCg&ved=0CAUQFjAA&client=internal-uds-

cse&usg=AFQjCNEqmNw0ERcW4K3UlFV7WKUotUiStw

When you go to this link it may give you the choice to open or save the file but it just might download it directly- I always download the file then extract it to a folder on my desktop

named Odin.

2. Here is the link to TRWP v.2.8.0 -

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?a=show&w=files&flid=10302

Select the most current 2.8 version for the file type .tar for your version of the 7.7.

When you goto this link you will need to select the download option on the page. A ten second timer will count down and then give you a few options to download from. Just select the first

one for your download.(Primary)

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=13964

Select the most current version for your version of the 7.7.

When you goto this link you will need to select the download option on the page. It will give you the choice to open or save the file - SAVE is what you do.

4. Here is the link to the gapps file you will need. If you dont know gapps allows you to interact and download regular apps from the google app store or play store.

http://www.slimroms.net/index.php/d...4-4/14742-slim-mini-gapps-4-4-4-build-8-x-282

We now have the four files we need to install this custom rom. Please copy the files from steps 3 and 4 to a micro sd card. Place the card into your tablet.

Time to INSTALL!!!

1. If you have not already - unzip the first file "Odin 3.07" to a folder on your desktop PC.

2. Press and hold the volume down and power button together and hold until a screen appears (other then a battery display or SAMSUNG) then let go of both. The screen should say something

like "Warning!! A custom OS blah blah .. it will also say "Volume up: Continue".

3. Press the volume up choice. The screen should change to the little android and say downloading. This is known as "downloading mode" and also referred to as "bootloader" .

4. Now plug in the tablet transfer cable to the tablet and the PC. Open the Odin folder and double click the Odin3 v3.07 executable. Give the program permission to open if needed. Once

open, Look for id:com - right above that you should see something like 0:[COM6](it might be another number then 6 this is all Good). If you do see this then you know you are connected.
    In the option area you will see two options selected. Deselect Auto reboot leaving F. Reset Time the only one selected. To the right of this click the PDA button. This is where you will

select the "TRWP v.2.8.0" file you downloaded on step 2. Once you select the twrp file, and you press open, the option for PDA will now have a check mark next to it. Now you can Press

Start and let it run till you see "RESET!" at the top left of the Odin window and also you will see RES OK! in the message area (bottom left).

5. Disconnect the tablet from the transfer cable. Now Press the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see the TEAMWIN window - release the buttons. This will take you into your

newly installed twrp custom recovery. If the screen goes black while using the software, just touch it to wake.

6. Select WIPE

7. Select Format Data - type yes and press return on the keyboard - when it is done formatting choose BACK then use the return arrow at the top right of the window until you get back to

the main window.

8. Select Install - Navigate to your external sdcard and select the kitkat rom you downloaded in step 3.

9. Now select "add a zip" and choose the mini slim gapps file we downloaded in step 4.

10. Now use the "Swipe to Start" and allow the 2 files to install. When they finish you will have three choices.

Give it some time and you will eventully get to your kitkat setup screen.

I Like Carbon better then the other kitkat roms for these 7.7 tabs. I do hate that alot of apps distort upon screen rotation but through a process of elimination I have found apps that

serve me well that are not affected by this bug. Also I hate that flash is not supported accept for through the Dolphin browser with a hacked Flash Player from XDA Dvelopers. Now with that

I will say I have found peace with web borwsers by using the Puffin web browser. It does not distort when you turn your screen - since it streams from the cloud it plays everthing evertime

- no worries about flash or other custom webpages. It may scroll slower then others but it just works - also I like the quicklinks. If you have more questions let me know.

good luck!!!

If any one sees something they would change let me know so I can edit this.
    already done - glad to help

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

So, you can use exfat (have not tried myself yet) - themes - real custom control with the navigation bar, status bar - has not done anything weird yet!! (Only Two days)

Is this rom missing anything????

I think all of our custom roms have the following feature/bug - could be wrong

- If the tab is off and you connect it up to charge it will turn on by itself
    OR
    - your tab is connected and charging and you power off the tab it will restart

Any work around known for the above feature/bug???

Glad to get this update for our tab - Thanks BIG D. Like that BIG D BIG DEEEEE - LOL
    Yeah, the tab will reboot after 5 min. when charging at power off.
    This is the behaviour of Samsung's new (jb 4.1.2) kernel.

If you use my recovery (CWM or TWRP), there is a work around.
    eg. for TWRP
    1. Reboot to the recovery.
    2. Select "Reboot to recovery" again in the reboot menu.
    3. After reboot, select "Power off" in reboot menu.
    4. Now it won't reboot when charger or usb is connected.

The theory is to use my recovery's kernel in LPM. In my recoveries, I use the old power driver which won't reboot. Sadly, the old driver won't work for JB onwards.
    See my development tread for details.

Good luck.
    connect 4g

Hey buddy - tried out new carbon and it feels great so far. Seeing verizon network but no connect. Can you use your magic again?

This should be a full proof method of installing "first" a custom recovery and "second" a custom Kit kat rom.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEqmNw0ERcW4K3UlFV7WKUotUiStw

When you go to this link it will give you the choice to open or save the file - I always download the file then extract it to a folder on my desktop named Odin.

2. Here is the link to TWRP v.2.7.1.0 -

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358545485

When you go to this link you will need to select the download option on the page. A ten second timer will count down and then give you a few options to download from. Just select the first one for your download.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358556281

When you go to this link you will need to select the download option on the page. It will give you the choice to open or save the file - SAVE is what you do.

4. Here is the link to the gapps file you will need.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=15797 choose stock!

Time to INSTALL!!!

2. Press and hold the volume down and power button together and hold until a screen appears (other then a battery display or SAMSUNG) then let go of both. The screen should say something like "Warning!! A custom OS blah blah .. it will also say "Volume up: Continue".

3. Press the volume up choice. The screen should change to the little android and say downloading. This is known as "odin mode" and also referred to as "downloading mode" .

4. Now plug in the tablet transfer cable to the tablet and the PC. Open the Odin folder and double click the Odin3 v3.07 executable. Give the program permission to open if needed. Once open, Look for id:com - right above that you should see something like 0:[COM6](it might be another number then 6 this is all Good). If you do see this then you know you are connected.
    In the option area you will see two options selected. Deselect Auto reboot leaving F. Reset Time the only one selected. To the right of this click the PDA button. This is where you will select the "TRWP v.2.7.1.0" file you downloaded on step 2. Once you select the twrp file, and you press open, the option for PDA will now have a check mark next to it. Now you can Press Start and let it run till you see "RESET!" at the top left of the Odin window and also you will see RES OK! in the message area (bottom left).

5. Disconnect the tablet from the transfer cable. Now Press the Power and Volume Up buttons together until you see the TEAMWIN window - release the buttons. This will take you into your newly installed twrp custom recovery. If the screen goes black while using the software, just touch it to wake.

6. Select WIPE

7. Select Format Data - type yes and press return on the keyboard - when it is done formatting choose the house icon to go back to the home screen.

8. Select Install - Navigate to your external sdcard and select the Carbon rom you downloaded in step 3.

9. Now select "add a zip" and choose the GAPPS file we downloaded in step 4.

Give it some time and you will eventually get to your carbon setup screen.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Wow, a ROM from the future (7 July, today is 3rd July =p)

dont get it?