[RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock

Search This thread

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
FLASHABLE ZIP, (1)RESTORING NC TO STOCK/FACTORY OR (2)CWR REMOVAL ONLY

What you will find here: files to restore to stock (v. 1.0.0 or 1.0.1) and files to remove CWR and thus restore stock recovery (8 failed boots and factory reset [power+n]).

______________CAVEAT________________

Keep in mind that the Nook is really hard to brick. By that, I mean almost impossible. The reason is simple: it has a boot priority on uSD, which means you can always boot your NC from the uSD with, for example, Nookie Froyo (see thread in Dev section). From there you can install Clockwork recovery and other applications (ibid) and repair almost anything. So please, don't panic.

If you ask for help, explain yourself exhaustively on what you have done to require attention. Thank you.

All the usual warnings apply. I cannot guarantee that the following won't have side effects, although I'm pretty sure it won't. Please read complete thread before attempting anything.

Do not attempt flashing files unless you really need to or absolutely know what you are doing.

______________UPDATE-01/23/2011_______________

There is another method to restore to stock. If you know your way around ADB, please read this thread: click here, as it will guarantee a clean restoring of your partition. The below files only copy files, but cannot "recreate" your partitions. Both methods can work, but the one linked above (shad0wf0x's thread) will work without exception. Only requirement is that you can use ADB. Thank you.

I know a few people out there are struggling after having messed up their Nook's partitions (boot, system, etc.). Hope this will help.

Requirements:
- Rom manager / Clockwork Recovery. This can be easily installed through Nookie Froyo booted from uSD, or through rooted NC. See Clockwork Recovery thread for more information.​
- A uSD with enough free space (at least 175 MB). Make sure uSD is mounted (see mounts option in Clockwork Recovery). If it doesn't read your uSD, format from an Android device (Memory settings, unmount-> format).​

Files to restore NC to stock (1):

If AND ONLY if you choose to restore completely your NC, /data and /system partitions must be formatted before flashing. See mounts and storage option in CWR.​

LINKS ARE DOWN: please refer to the following post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22809801&postcount=148

BEWARE: These files will reset you Nook Color to stock and remove Clockwork Recovery, by replacing /boot, /system, and /media with stock

If you choose to flash one of the two files above, formating /data and /system is required BEFORE flashing the file (see mounts and storage in CWR) ! After flashing, resets (8 failed and power+n) shouldn't be necessary, everything should work straight "out of the box" after flashing the file.

Or,

File to remove CWR and restore stock recovery (2):

If you simply wish to remove CW Recovery, use this file, which restores /boot only:

EDIT: files are not available anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Size: 6.1MB, md5sum: 6d00a461a221e69195440355f6706104

Note that this last file will affect your rooting of the NC.

If you should choose to keep your NC rooted, try this:

Keep in mind this last file has not been tested on my NC. It's necessarily less dangerous than the other files (which already aren't very dangerous). But still, please give me some feedback on whether it works or not. Cheers.

5. As a last attempt to fixing your NC, if your nook never gets passed the "Touch the future screen" or simply doesn't boot, try this file:

Comments are welcome.

Sam

Last edited:

Jamdat33

May 17, 2009
dude this is just what i needed after my little nook color break down. Thanks!!! a ton!!! also its 11:56 eastern and the downloads are available yet...

Jamdat33

May 17, 2009
quick question, if we removed cwrecovery then will the 8 boot reset work again?

sec6

Aug 16, 2008
Thank you. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to check out the B & N 2.2 update coming out soon. It worked great. After flashing I had to factory reset the data (three finger salute) and everything worked out great. Now I'm in the process of installing the 1.0.1 update and then will probably go back to where I was before (autonooter with clockwork recovery). I have a nandroid backup and titanium backup of everything so won't take long. Thanks again. Great job!

tytdfn

Jul 29, 2010
New York
Tried out method 2. Looks like i have a corrupted recovery now :( It wont go past the "Touch the future of reading" and when i do the 2 button salute it brings me to a screen that says the install failed

EDIT: Nvm. just magically worked again.

Edit 2: I used the 2nd method and it wasn't smooth sailing. I'm gonna relate what happened and what I did so that samuelhaff can help others if they have the same problem:

I originally auto-nookered the device and then installed CWR. I foolishly tried to do the 8 hard resets and was met with the recovery screen. I also foolishly wiped the data and cache hoping that would do the trick and alas it just left me with a "touch the android" homescreen that didn't work.
At this point I used the second method after I tried froyo and when I reset the nook the nook it would get stuck at the the "Touch the future of reading." So to fix it i tried to get into recovery by holding the N button and the power button and it showed me a screen that said the install failed and then the nook started booting normally again. Not smooth sailing but it worked so thanks a lot!

Last edited:

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
Tried out method 2. Looks like i have a corrupted recovery now :( It wont go past the "Touch the future of reading" and when i do the 2 button salute it brings me to a screen that says the install failed

EDIT: Nvm. just magically worked again.

Edit 2: I used the 2nd method and it wasn't smooth sailing. I'm gonna relate what happened and what I did so that samuelhaff can help others if they have the same problem:

I originally auto-nookered the device and then installed CWR. I foolishly tried to do the 8 hard resets and was met with the recovery screen. I also foolishly wiped the data and cache hoping that would do the trick and alas it just left me with a "touch the android" homescreen that didn't work.
At this point I used the second method after I tried froyo and when I reset the nook the nook it would get stuck at the the "Touch the future of reading." So to fix it i tried to get into recovery by holding the N button and the power button and it showed me a screen that said the install failed and then the nook started booting normally again. Not smooth sailing but it worked so thanks a lot!

Thank you for your contribution.
I don't understand why your NC wouldn't boot pass the splash. Will have to see if that happens again.
But on the other hand, I have noticed that the first boot after restoring may show up an "install failed" notice. Which, again I don't understand just yet. But everything should work if you boot a second time.

Anyway, I'll look into it. In the mean time, both files should help quite a few hot-headed nookers, like myself.

duloz

Apr 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Good job, sir...

If i can stop screwing up all of my technical endevours, i'm going to start trying to make a rom kitchen, now that there is a streamlined way back...

Nevermind, I can't seem to do anything correctly this weekend...

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App

ourprisonplanet

Nov 7, 2007
Bloomington, IN
Ok... I have absolutely no clue what happened... All went well... Flash went through without a hickup... Booted up fine... And then... No wi-fi... I absolutely can not enable wifi now...

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
Ok... I have absolutely no clue what happened... All went well... Flash went through without a hickup... Booted up fine... And then... No wi-fi... I absolutely can not enable wifi now...

Ok. Which method did you use? (1) or (2)? Before flashing, were you using v. 1.0.0 ou 1.0.1? Try updating to 1.0.1. See if Wifi is working. If not, try method (1) (again?). Do both resets (8 failed and power+n).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FLASHABLE ZIP, (1)RESTORING NC TO STOCK/FACTORY OR (2)CWR REMOVAL ONLY

What you will find here: files to restore to stock (v. 1.0.0 or 1.0.1) and files to remove CWR and thus restore stock recovery (8 failed boots and factory reset [power+n]).

______________CAVEAT________________

Keep in mind that the Nook is really hard to brick. By that, I mean almost impossible. The reason is simple: it has a boot priority on uSD, which means you can always boot your NC from the uSD with, for example, Nookie Froyo (see thread in Dev section). From there you can install Clockwork recovery and other applications (ibid) and repair almost anything. So please, don't panic.

If you ask for help, explain yourself exhaustively on what you have done to require attention. Thank you.

All the usual warnings apply. I cannot guarantee that the following won't have side effects, although I'm pretty sure it won't. Please read complete thread before attempting anything.

Do not attempt flashing files unless you really need to or absolutely know what you are doing.

______________UPDATE-01/23/2011_______________

There is another method to restore to stock. If you know your way around ADB, please read this thread: click here, as it will guarantee a clean restoring of your partition. The below files only copy files, but cannot "recreate" your partitions. Both methods can work, but the one linked above (shad0wf0x's thread) will work without exception. Only requirement is that you can use ADB. Thank you.

I know a few people out there are struggling after having messed up their Nook's partitions (boot, system, etc.). Hope this will help.

Requirements:
    - Rom manager / Clockwork Recovery. This can be easily installed through Nookie Froyo booted from uSD, or through rooted NC. See Clockwork Recovery thread for more information.​
    - A uSD with enough free space (at least 175 MB). Make sure uSD is mounted (see mounts option in Clockwork Recovery). If it doesn't read your uSD, format from an Android device (Memory settings, unmount-> format).​

Files to restore NC to stock (1):

If AND ONLY if you choose to restore completely your NC, /data and /system partitions must be formatted before flashing. See mounts and storage option in CWR.​

LINKS ARE DOWN: please refer to the following post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22809801&postcount=148

BEWARE: These files will reset you Nook Color to stock and remove Clockwork Recovery, by replacing /boot, /system, and /media with stock

If you choose to flash one of the two files above, formating /data and /system is required BEFORE flashing the file (see mounts and storage in CWR) ! After flashing, resets (8 failed and power+n) shouldn't be necessary, everything should work straight "out of the box" after flashing the file.

Or,

File to remove CWR and restore stock recovery (2):

If you simply wish to remove CW Recovery, use this file, which restores /boot only:

Size: 6.1MB, md5sum: 6d00a461a221e69195440355f6706104

Note that this last file will affect your rooting of the NC.

If you should choose to keep your NC rooted, try this:

Keep in mind this last file has not been tested on my NC. It's necessarily less dangerous than the other files (which already aren't very dangerous). But still, please give me some feedback on whether it works or not. Cheers.

5. As a last attempt to fixing your NC, if your nook never gets passed the "Touch the future screen" or simply doesn't boot, try this file:

Comments are welcome.

Sam
    dude this is just what i needed after my little nook color break down. Thanks!!! a ton!!! also its 11:56 eastern and the downloads are available yet...

File is now available.
    You need ADB. When booted to Nookie from SD, use these commands.

First mount media:

adb shell mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /media

if that dosen't work, try this:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /media

After that, push boot.img and system.img found on shad0wf0x's post (here) , with this:

adb push [path/to/boot.img] /media

Do the same with system.img.

adb push [path/to/system.img] /media

Then, dd images from media to partitions, with:

Note: each dd will take some time, be patient.

- adb shell
    - dd if=/media/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    - dd if=/media/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    - reboot

Try this out, if the commands return errors, post them here.
    Thank you for the generous donation I just recieved. I don't ask for any, but, as a sign of gratitude for the hours I spend working on the device, they're always a bonus.

Sam

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
    Thank you -somebody-! You all are awesome :)