[REQ/INFO]Galaxy S3 Japan (SC-06D) root

Search This thread
Feb 27, 2011
Picked up my Japanese S3 today and looking to root it. I'm reading that using the I9300 is no go since it is a completely different model number. Specs for anyone interested:

Baseband:
SC06DOMLF5

Kernel:
3.0.8-681271-user-se.infra@SEP-120

Build:
IMM76D.SC06DOMALF5

If I can provide anything else let me know.

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
i would like to know the same...wtfusernameistaken is your nfc working...or is the app ic tag reader/writer the same thing?...or is it something i have to turn on through docomo?

noeldc

Nov 3, 2010
i would like to know the same...wtfusernameistaken is your nfc working...or is the app ic tag reader/writer the same thing?...or is it something i have to turn on through docomo?

The Japanese version doesn't have NFC, only Japan's long-established equivalent.

Anyway, I love the phone, but I can't wait until some of the geniuses on here come up with an easy way to root it.

Feb 27, 2011

Negative. Just tried to scan my edy but no joy. My nexus S grabs it fine however. Cannot wait to dump this stupid docomo rom and get a vanilla one on. That or just go back to my Nexus S.

またSC-06DはNFCを搭載していないので、「Android Beam」を拡張したデータ転送機能「S Beam」も利用できない. Yep, no NFC.

Last edited:
Reactions: cezeff

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
i seen that but i was pretty sure that was just the stock rom...which is really helpful if a bad rom is loaded and need to go back to stock...ive downloaded it too and keeping it to the side for emergencies....

Habbit

Sep 11, 2008
Hiroshima
The ability to root and throw CyanogenMod 9 on docomo's Galaxy S3 are the two most important factors in whether or not I will buy it in the next couple of months. Can you please keep us updated on your progress, wtfusernameistaken?

carenobb

Jun 30, 2012
Hi all
Just registered to join in on this thread.

This is my first smartphone and was all excited for the s3,
only to be unpleasantly surprised by the docomo palette ui...

I knowledge my noob status, so please be gentle with me.

Feb 27, 2011
The ability to root and throw CyanogenMod 9 on docomo's Galaxy S3 are the two most important factors in whether or not I will buy it in the next couple of months. Can you please keep us updated on your progress, wtfusernameistaken?

My honest opinion is that the phone sucks. No NFC, annoying uninstallable apps, battery gets quite warm, camera is meh, Kies is basically iTunes with a different layout. I went back to my nexus S and passed the S3 off to the wife. Tried to get a galaxy nexus but it would seem that it did so bad in Japan that they liquidated their entire stock 3 months ago. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next dev phone.

The rom on sammobile is in fact the stock rom, but good to have in case.

Reactions: Habbit

Habbit

Sep 11, 2008
Hiroshima
Your first sentence had me dying. Lol I guess that sums it up, though. I guess I'll start preparing to buy a One X, though I think I'm going to attempt to get the AT&T version and have it unlocked, as it seems that model is more liked than the international version. I don't even play Words with Friends, so Tegra 3, Schmegra 3 for all I care.

cezeff

Sep 21, 2009
Okinawa, Japan
In my opinion this is a beast of a phone...nfc not there..it maybe just no unlocked..the screen is great..the 2gb is a major factor...the fact it'll be one if few phones to receive the jelly bean update..even the little tv tuner which I'm sure the statewide doesn't have..the massive support for it...the camera is great, even though some might choose a third party app...people are judging the phone after a few days of use...the real beauty and love affair comes after extended use...having all this potential and being a root and or custom Rom away from unleashing it is mouth watering...already my s3 out performs my s2 in every way...and it can only get better...every day I find or notice something about this phone that makes it more and more awesome...give it a chance and don't be so basis guys...
Sent from my SC-06D using xda app-developers app

Swaf

Jul 1, 2012
Okinawa
a beast

Hey just got my phone today from Docomo. Let me know when you find a root for it. I just added apex launcher , but need to get rid of all the Docomo crap

Reactions: xKeL

deletio

Jul 1, 2012
東京
Thanks for the link! How is the osaifu-keitai functionality, does it still work after the procedure?

Sent from my SC-06D using xda app-developers app

CptSupermrkt

Jul 2, 2012
This is my first Android device (and my first post :))

I found the amount of Samsung and Docomo apps really ridiculous.

I want to get CM9 onto the device, so I can have a completely clean slate with no remnants of all the shovelware. As I'm new, I don't know how yet, but I've found several guides and videos and such for doing it for other devices, even the other versions of the Galaxy S3. Unfortunately I haven't found too much specifically for the Docomo Japan version, so I'm a little hesitant to try anything just yet. Is there anything that makes the Docomo device different from other Galaxy S3's, anything I should look out for?

One thing to note for anyone else who bought it here in Japan at Docomo, by default they automatically sign you up for a ton of their crap, iChannel, BodyMo, etc., and each one costs monthly. They're very easy to forget about. If you go digging through the "my docomo" site, through the customer support stuff, eventually you'll find the options to cancel each of the stuff they signed you up for. They really do make it hard to get to.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Picked up my Japanese S3 today and looking to root it. I'm reading that using the I9300 is no go since it is a completely different model number. Specs for anyone interested:

Baseband:
    SC06DOMLF5

Kernel:
    3.0.8-681271-user-se.infra@SEP-120

Build:
    IMM76D.SC06DOMALF5

If I can provide anything else let me know.
    You can probably do it after rooting as long as the stock recovery is flashed beforehand. (installing osaifu keitai)

Unlocking the SIM is permanent as it has to do with the actual SIM card, not the OS.

FYI, the plans for phones here make it easy to buy without spending a lot of money.
    One way to work the system is to first buy a cheap flip phone with a different carrier like Softbank, then get a Mobile Number Portability code from Softbank and take it to a place like Nojima that has a cell phone section in their department store, where they can offer you deals that you can't get at the carrier's shop. Using the MNP code, you switch to Docomo, keeping your phone number and they will waiver the service fee so you get a bill half the cost of the previous carrier and on top of that Nojima will give you 30,000¥ in store credit that you can apply to the cost of the new SGS3.

That's what I did when they had an awesome deal with 50,000¥ credits, so I own my S3 and only pay 4000¥ a month with unlimited data.

I think I found the source of my battery drain, it's LTE. I live in western Tokyo so there's no LTE coverage in this area yet so in Sakura milk CM9 I turned off LTE so it's only using 3g and High Speed (hspda) now and battery is draining slower.
    He added a neat LTE toggle in the task bar which makes it easier than putting in the code in dialer to turn it off.

Btw, using the japanese S3 in the US will only work on 3g since Japan and USA LTE networks are very different.

Sent from my SC-06D using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/info/notice/page/130508_00.html

Here is DoCoMo official.
    Original Note is getting it also.
    But no love for the SC-02C.....:(

Transmitted from another Galaxy.
    Do they both provide email service? If that's all it really is, why would I care if I have gmail? Does it affect anything else that I would notice?

It would be helpful to have a working understanding of this when I go to buy my phone in 2 weeks... If anyone could explain I'd be forever grateful.

As far as the difference between the two, I'm not sure. The reason to get it is due to the fact that sometimes the providers block or charge extra for outside email providers for phone email.

For example, I have some friends that I cannot send emails to from my gmail address because gmail is blocked. I have to use my phone (currently Softbank) email. I think she's on AU. There are probably some firewall settings on the website that she can change, but she would have no idea where to even begin.

Secondly, for those who don't have a smartphone, emails to outside domains (outside meaning anything other than Docomo, Softbank, or AU) are sent as data communications and cost more. So people who haven't made the jump to a smartphone are hesitant to send emails if you don't have an email address from one of those three.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

So I'm considering buying an S3 from Docomo, and I'm a little confused after reading through all these posts. I have a few questions to clarify before I invest in such an expensive phone.

Can it be rooted AND sim unlocked? From what I can tell from reading, it can, but it's not permanent? Does it reset upon restart? This is the make or break question for me. I travel around a lot and need a phone that I can use in different countries.

Do you have to unlock and root again every time the phone is updated, or is there a way to permanently unlock it?

Do you have to install a different ROM to keep it rooted and unlocked?

Do all the proprietary apps work after rooting and unlocking? Specifically the digital TV.

Sorry for the noob questions, but there's a lot of contradictory info in this thread, as well as many of the other threads that I've read on the subject. I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into before I spend 74,000 yen on a phone.
    ewdi,

I'm willing to risk it if you wouldn't mind chopping what I think I understand the procedure to be.

1. boot to download mode, connect via usb to pc
    2. launch Odin, flash CWM Recovery (per normal procedure)
    3. flash the Boot_rw_su.tar.md5
    4. if success (PASS) this will now auto-boot to CWM recovery?
    5. if in CWM, flash the setuid_wrapper_signed.zip
    6. else, attempt to manually boot to CWM recovery, do #5
    7. Normal boot should now have SU app? Now root behavior as expected.

Thanks much

Sorry just got back home, saifu doesn't work! WARNING, it doesnt work! But there seems to be a better way of rooting to get it to work on this thread
    http://logsoku.com/thread/anago.2ch.net/android/1340719301/

UPDATE: JUST BRICKED MY WIFE'S PHONE WITH 2ND METHOD.

UPDATE2 : Reflashed stocked and redo it again with step 2, it works. Not sure what went wrong the first time.

HERE IS STEP BY STEP:

1. Boot into Download Mode (Vol Down + Home + Power)
    2. Make sure you have latest Kies and rebooted your Windows
    3. Flash the CMW Recovery for SC-06D http://www.mediafire.com/?lvj9dz37wle2wee
    4. Using CMW flash the SU
    and you are done (optionally you can flash the stock recovery - link above)

Busybox arent installed by default, so you need to grab it yourself from play.