Search This thread

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I root this thing?[/SIZE]
Here are the two most popular methods:root66....ToolKit. Refer to the threads for instructions.​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to I enter Download Mode and Recovery?[/SIZE]
Make sure your phone is unplugged and powered off.
Download Mode: Hold Volume down, home and power until you see the green dude.
Recovery: Hold Volume up, home and power. Once your phone vibrates, let go of just the power button.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: What is this 'Flash Counter' everybody is talking about?[/SIZE]
Your phone's flash counter is triggered when it detects custom firmwares. This is Samsung's way of knowing that you have modded your device. But thanks to the awesome people at XDA, there are ways around this. Refer to This Thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Why does my phone sit at the Samsung logo after I flashed a ROM?[/SIZE]
The most common cause of this is not properly wiping your device prior to flashing. It can also be caused from flashing a mod that won't work with your current setup. But whatever the reason was, it can be fixed by wiping data, cache, and dalvik cache in recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: Why is my phone restarting itself? And why does my screen turn on by itself?[/SIZE]
There have been numerous reports of faulty power buttons causing this to happen. More than likely this is your issue, but it wouldn't hurt to Odin back to stock and see if the issue is resolved.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Can I accept an OTA update even though my phone is rooted?[/SIZE]
The only way you can accept an OTA update if you are rooted, is if you have stock recovery and your device status is "normal." If those two things apply to you, then search for the app called "OTA Root Keeper." If you cannot accept the OTA, refer to the root66 thread linked to in Q1.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Why do I need to wipe my data every time I flash a ROM?[/SIZE]
This is to ensure that nothing is left over from your previous ROM that will interfere (cause issues) with the new ROM. It is always best to fully wipe between ROM's. It will take a lot less time to set up your phone than it will to troubleshoot issues, then have to wipe anyways.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: What is the best ROM/Kernel/Modem for this phone?[/SIZE]
Nobody can answer this question for you, so please refrain from asking it. Each person has their own personal preferences and wants/needs. No phones are created equal, therefore one person might have an issue whereas the next person does not. The best thing to do is read the OP of each thread to see which one has the features you want, read the last 10 or so pages of the thread to see how things are going, then TRY IT! Here is a good starting point.

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Why is my battery dying so fast?[/SIZE]
There are many factors that play into this. First of all, if you just flashed a ROM, give it 2-3 charge cycles before judging battery life as it can take a while to settle. The next step is to download a battery monitoring app, such as GSam Battery Monitor, to see exactly what is draining your battery. Refer to this thread for tips on how to extend battery life.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: People have been complaining that they hear echoing when talking to me on the phone, why?[/SIZE]
Go into your call settings and enable noise reduction. If that does not help, refer to the threads for your current ROM and/or kernel as it may be a known issue.​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: How do I return my phone to 100% stock unrooted, with a zero flash counter?[/SIZE]
Refer to this thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What is ADB and how do I use it?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Why don't I have signal? Why is my IMEI gone?[/SIZE]
Refer to this thread to fix your IMEI and restore 4G. Be sure to follow ALL steps.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: When will this phone receive an update? What about a new phone coming out?[/SIZE]
Find discussion on these topics here and here.

[SIZE=+1]Q15: I have searched everywhere and still can't find an answer to my question..?[/SIZE]
Have you really searched everywhere? Google? Asked in the thread of which your question pertains to? Read the stickies? If you have honestly spent more than 5-10 minutes searching for an answer, post a new thread in the q&a section.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum on XDA.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Awesome, this can almost never be completed as new questions will arise constantly. Great idea and I'll shoot ideas to you as they popup in the ol' noggin.

Reactions: Cruze808 and Towle

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
Awesome, this can almost never be completed as new questions will arise constantly. Great idea and I'll shoot ideas to you as they popup in the ol' noggin.

For sure! It will always be an incomplete project as things change & new things come out. Shoot me a PM if you would like to help expand the OP.

Last edited:

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
This is key. It should be utilized by everyone in the threads. This is also not exclusive to the T999 section. Well the material is exclusive but the format will be across many different devices and sections.

As mt3g said it will never be complete, but as long as Users help and guide, we can hopefully reduce the amount of redundant threads popping up.

Stuck

Users, please scroll to the bottom and put on some thread tags. These will help refine the Search results.

Last edited:

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
Love this thread keep up the good work, woody, mtg, towle, galaxyboi and others

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
Regarding recovery mode... I think this is specific to d2tmo... But when doing the three button combo to get to recovery, you hold volume up, home, and power... UNTIL THE DEVICE VIBRATES, then you RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON ONLY. When the sgs3 splash screen appears, you can release the other two buttons. It works EVERY time :)

Great thread idea towle :D:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mdco and mrmako777

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
Regarding recovery mode... I think this is specific to d2tmo... But when doing the three button combo to get to recovery, you hold volume up, home, and power... UNTIL THE DEVICE VIBRATES, then you RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON ONLY. When the sgs3 splash screen appears, you can release the other two buttons. It works EVERY time :)

You can also let go of all buttons and it works the same. I say it can take a couple of tries so users don't automatically post a new thread when it doesn't work the first time.

And I believe the phone only vibrates if you're doing it while powered on.

Last edited:

mrnv45

Sep 14, 2009
new to the S3 but not to root..

cant seem to get my 4.1.1 to root
i dont have windows or bootcamp just a mac
i do have wine, but the programs dont detect my phone on the comp section that shows (odin) there isnt anything connected

i tried other ways but get fail scripts saying it was successfull but nothing was loaded into the phone to root..

i need help bad

tmobile samsung galaxy s3
new update from this the 17 of january

sadakli2010

Sep 5, 2010
Detroit, MI
was anybody able to resolve the rebooting of the phone? I cant seem to figure out why it keeps rebooting. If its a power button issue, how do I fix it??

re: reboot issue

was anybody able to resolve the rebooting of the phone? I cant seem to figure out why it keeps rebooting. If its a power button issue, how do I fix it??

99% of the time random or constant reboots are generally caused by a corrupted download of a rom or a dirty flash.
So download the rom again and make sure you do a clean flash.

Always do a factory reset-format system-wipe cache-wipe dalvik cache in recovery before flashing any rom.
After doing this your phone should not have a reboot issue.

If it still has a reboot issue then that means you need to Odin flash a stock rooted firmware.
Here is the link to the firmware in case you need it: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556426451
Here is the link for Odin in case you do not have it: http://d-h.st/Q14

Good Luck!

Last edited:

range atlas

Apr 8, 2013
rooted unrooted then tried rooting verizon s3 but failed

I rooted and it worked successfully. I unrooted since battery life and network were slow. so I tried rooting again but when its finished there is no superuser doesn't show up. the rooting is not succesful.

sgs22012

Feb 5, 2012
va,usa
Have a few random questions....running carbon 1.6 on t999 (d2tmo)

1) is kt747 compatible with carbon 1.6 on tmo?

2) what is all included in "android system" and what about that causes it to waste so much time in backup/restore?

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild
"If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread."

This thread, along with all of the same FAQ's across XDA, are created as a quick reference for general help questions. You won't find any assistance by posting questions here - especially rom specific questions.

Last edited:

jaila1012

Jun 23, 2013
flash problem

guys im having a problem flashing CM roms i keep getting error 7 ...i have earased some stuff in the roms where it checks for what kind phone you are using ...im only trying to flash tmobile roms

sikkustar

Mar 16, 2013
rooting

i ve s3 t999 unlocked for indian sim i want to know if i root this mobile ll it still unlocked or it ll lock.. ..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I root this thing?[/SIZE]
    Here are the two most popular methods:root66....ToolKit. Refer to the threads for instructions.​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How to I enter Download Mode and Recovery?[/SIZE]
    Make sure your phone is unplugged and powered off.
    Download Mode: Hold Volume down, home and power until you see the green dude.
    Recovery: Hold Volume up, home and power. Once your phone vibrates, let go of just the power button.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: What is this 'Flash Counter' everybody is talking about?[/SIZE]
    Your phone's flash counter is triggered when it detects custom firmwares. This is Samsung's way of knowing that you have modded your device. But thanks to the awesome people at XDA, there are ways around this. Refer to This Thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Why does my phone sit at the Samsung logo after I flashed a ROM?[/SIZE]
    The most common cause of this is not properly wiping your device prior to flashing. It can also be caused from flashing a mod that won't work with your current setup. But whatever the reason was, it can be fixed by wiping data, cache, and dalvik cache in recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: Why is my phone restarting itself? And why does my screen turn on by itself?[/SIZE]
    There have been numerous reports of faulty power buttons causing this to happen. More than likely this is your issue, but it wouldn't hurt to Odin back to stock and see if the issue is resolved.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Can I accept an OTA update even though my phone is rooted?[/SIZE]
    The only way you can accept an OTA update if you are rooted, is if you have stock recovery and your device status is "normal." If those two things apply to you, then search for the app called "OTA Root Keeper." If you cannot accept the OTA, refer to the root66 thread linked to in Q1.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Why do I need to wipe my data every time I flash a ROM?[/SIZE]
    This is to ensure that nothing is left over from your previous ROM that will interfere (cause issues) with the new ROM. It is always best to fully wipe between ROM's. It will take a lot less time to set up your phone than it will to troubleshoot issues, then have to wipe anyways.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: What is the best ROM/Kernel/Modem for this phone?[/SIZE]
    Nobody can answer this question for you, so please refrain from asking it. Each person has their own personal preferences and wants/needs. No phones are created equal, therefore one person might have an issue whereas the next person does not. The best thing to do is read the OP of each thread to see which one has the features you want, read the last 10 or so pages of the thread to see how things are going, then TRY IT! Here is a good starting point.

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Why is my battery dying so fast?[/SIZE]
    There are many factors that play into this. First of all, if you just flashed a ROM, give it 2-3 charge cycles before judging battery life as it can take a while to settle. The next step is to download a battery monitoring app, such as GSam Battery Monitor, to see exactly what is draining your battery. Refer to this thread for tips on how to extend battery life.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: People have been complaining that they hear echoing when talking to me on the phone, why?[/SIZE]
    Go into your call settings and enable noise reduction. If that does not help, refer to the threads for your current ROM and/or kernel as it may be a known issue.​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: How do I return my phone to 100% stock unrooted, with a zero flash counter?[/SIZE]
    Refer to this thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: What is ADB and how do I use it?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Why don't I have signal? Why is my IMEI gone?[/SIZE]
    Refer to this thread to fix your IMEI and restore 4G. Be sure to follow ALL steps.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: When will this phone receive an update? What about a new phone coming out?[/SIZE]
    Find discussion on these topics here and here.

[SIZE=+1]Q15: I have searched everywhere and still can't find an answer to my question..?[/SIZE]
    Have you really searched everywhere? Google? Asked in the thread of which your question pertains to? Read the stickies? If you have honestly spent more than 5-10 minutes searching for an answer, post a new thread in the q&a section.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum on XDA.
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
    This is key. It should be utilized by everyone in the threads. This is also not exclusive to the T999 section. Well the material is exclusive but the format will be across many different devices and sections.

As mt3g said it will never be complete, but as long as Users help and guide, we can hopefully reduce the amount of redundant threads popping up.

Stuck

Users, please scroll to the bottom and put on some thread tags. These will help refine the Search results.
    I threw up a bunch of tags on this thing this morning. Hopefully when they search or try to start a new thread, this thread will pop up as a suggestion. Bout to do that same thing to mt3g's Illusion thread.