Dirty ROOT solution - for unlocked BL

Search This thread

nilezon

Jan 30, 2008
Abandoned
This rooting method is deprecated. Use TWRP for Z5C instead.

Old post:

I have rooted my Z5 Compact and figured you might want a short how-to.

Disclaimer
I am well aware that this is not the nicest method of rooting, but I got the phone a few hours ago and haven't got the time to put together a better way.

Credits
@Tommy-Geenexus for Zombie kernel
@AndroPlus for Z5 recovery and guidance :good:
@Chainfire for SuperSU

Guide

First, you need to unlock you bootloader (I know, I know, now stop weeping :crying::crying::crying:)

A rooted device does not boot using default kernel, so you need to install an insecure kernel.
I am using a repacked Zombie b1 kernel, with a small modification (wrong owner on all files in ramdisk).
All credits fly out to @Tommy-Geenexus : [Kernel][Sony5.x][Z5C]Zombie[13.10.15]
Flash using:
Code:
fastboot flash boot zombie_b1_fixed.img

Reboot your phone using:
Code:
fastboot reboot
And verify that it works as expected.

Now, reboot your phone to bootloader again (see info how to at the end of post).
Then issue:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
This recovery is partly broken, but it works well enough to install root.
Thanks to @AndroPlus for TWRP code.

The phone will boot to a black screen, but you can connect to it using ADB.
You need to manually mount the system and userdata partition by issuing:
Code:
adb shell mount /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/system /system
adb shell mount /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/userdata /data

If you get this error:
mount: mounting /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/system on /system failed: No such file or directory
You probably just need to wait a while and try again.
You can also try this command (and then re-enter the mount commands above):
Code:
adb shell mount
adb shell cat /proc/partitions

If you got /system and /data to mount, you can now push SuperSU to the phone and install it:
Code:
adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/media/0/
adb shell twrp install /data/media/0/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
adb shell rm /data/media/0/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

If it all works, just reboot and enjoy root:
Code:
adb reboot

Files
zombie_b1_fixed.img
recovery.img

Extra info
Boot to bootloader by adb command:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
or by turning off the phone, and then hold down VOL UP while plugging in the USB cable.

Last edited:

kevinwu128

Jun 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Thanks!!!!! I will try this as soon as I go home! will update you :)

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

what model do you have by the way? mine is E5823

Thanks

Reactions: niyazi6868

kevinwu128

Jun 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
you are the greatest!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it works on my model. dirty or not, as long as it works :D

UPDATE: OMG, after finally getting all my apps on, i was happy to put my SD card and sim in.
IT WOULD NOT TURN ON. it kept rebooting and the indicator flashed a few times.
after isolating the problem, it does this when the SD card is in. Sim card is fine..
- So I can use the phone without SD card, but as soon as i plug it in, it reboots.
- I've tried the SD card in my old phone and it works fine.
- i've also used a new SD card in it and it's rebooting.

Do you think this is hardware error? is there something in the above scripts that could've affected it?
The truth is i never tried it before i rooted it.. so i'm not sure if it's due to rooting..

Please help me!

Last edited:
Reactions: niyazi6868

nilezon

Jan 30, 2008
I've got the same model.

UPDATE: OMG, after finally getting all my apps on, i was happy to put my SD card and sim in.
after isolating the problem, it does this when the SD card is in. Sim card is fine..
- So I can use the phone without SD card, but as soon as i plug it in, it reboots.

Do you think this is hardware error? is there something in the above scripts that could've affected it?
The truth is i never tried it before i rooted it.. so i'm not sure if it's due to rooting..

Please help me!

That sounds really ominous :(
I got the phone yesterday and have not yet tried it with SIM or SD card, so I can't really tell you if it is due to the rooting.

The recovery commands or the root should not cause the SD to stop working. The custom kernel could possibly do it, but I doubt it. However, until I (or someone else) test a SD card while on root, I can't really say for sure.
Sorry :(

Reactions: kevinwu128

kevinwu128

Jun 24, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Can you please test when you get a chance? I've unroot using super su and have done a factory reset. Same result.

I've also put in a request for warranty... Great work though. Thanks for posting this!

nilezon

Jan 30, 2008
Can you please test when you get a chance? I've unroot using super su and have done a factory reset. Same result.

I've also put in a request for warranty... Great work though. Thanks for posting this!

My SanDisk Ultra 64GB is working just fine. No SIM card in the phone, though.
Note that I have upgraded to 32.0.A.5.32.

Reactions: Radeon1337

exploreresp

Dec 23, 2012
You guys noticed a change in the official camera app ? Does it still behaves the same and post process automatically images ?

mcgrathpatj

Nov 13, 2012
You guys noticed a change in the official camera app ? Does it still behaves the same and post process automatically images ?

Yeah, I'd like to know this as well. On the Z3c, Unlocking the bootloader lead to really ****ty images. Is this still the case? I don't care much about DRM, but the camera has to perform.

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
Is there anywhere that I can find a rundown on what I'll actually lose by unlocking the bootloader? I don't particularly care if the camera loses a little quality, and it seems like I probably don't care about any of the DRM stuff, either, but I would like to be sure.

farfetch

Oct 1, 2008
Lecco
Hi, I read about the new TWRP method, but after flashing TWRP, what should I do for get root? Just flash SuperSU zip from Chainfire's site?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Abandoned
    This rooting method is deprecated. Use TWRP for Z5C instead.

Old post:

I have rooted my Z5 Compact and figured you might want a short how-to.

Disclaimer
    I am well aware that this is not the nicest method of rooting, but I got the phone a few hours ago and haven't got the time to put together a better way.

Credits
    @Tommy-Geenexus for Zombie kernel
    @AndroPlus for Z5 recovery and guidance :good:
    @Chainfire for SuperSU

Guide

First, you need to unlock you bootloader (I know, I know, now stop weeping :crying::crying::crying:)

A rooted device does not boot using default kernel, so you need to install an insecure kernel.
    I am using a repacked Zombie b1 kernel, with a small modification (wrong owner on all files in ramdisk).
    All credits fly out to @Tommy-Geenexus : [Kernel][Sony5.x][Z5C]Zombie[13.10.15]
    Flash using:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot zombie_b1_fixed.img

Reboot your phone using:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    And verify that it works as expected.

Now, reboot your phone to bootloader again (see info how to at the end of post).
    Then issue:
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img
    This recovery is partly broken, but it works well enough to install root.
    Thanks to @AndroPlus for TWRP code.

The phone will boot to a black screen, but you can connect to it using ADB.
    You need to manually mount the system and userdata partition by issuing:
    Code:
    adb shell mount /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/system /system
    adb shell mount /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/userdata /data

If you get this error:
    mount: mounting /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/system on /system failed: No such file or directory
    You probably just need to wait a while and try again.
    You can also try this command (and then re-enter the mount commands above):
    Code:
    adb shell mount
    adb shell cat /proc/partitions

If you got /system and /data to mount, you can now push SuperSU to the phone and install it:
    Code:
    adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/media/0/
    adb shell twrp install /data/media/0/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    adb shell rm /data/media/0/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

If it all works, just reboot and enjoy root:
    Code:
    adb reboot

Files
    zombie_b1_fixed.img
    recovery.img

Extra info
    Boot to bootloader by adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    or by turning off the phone, and then hold down VOL UP while plugging in the USB cable.

Sure, I will test within a few hours. :fingers-crossed:
    Thanks!!!!! I will try this as soon as I go home! will update you :)

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Thanks
    you are the greatest!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it works on my model. dirty or not, as long as it works :D

Please help me!
    I've got the same model.

Please help me!

That sounds really ominous :(
    I got the phone yesterday and have not yet tried it with SIM or SD card, so I can't really tell you if it is due to the rooting.

The recovery commands or the root should not cause the SD to stop working. The custom kernel could possibly do it, but I doubt it. However, until I (or someone else) test a SD card while on root, I can't really say for sure.
    Sorry :(